ADVERTISEMENT

Why not Iowa?

General Tso

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2004
Watching OSU vs Clemson. Why can't a team like Iowa ever seam to get over the hump and make one of these games? When does Iowa stop MSU on 4th down, finally figure our how to go through a season without a head scratching loss like ISU in 2002, Northwestern so many times, Purdue, etc. The fact that Iowa has only been to the B1G champ game one f'ing time is just inexplicable.

Watching OSU vs Clemson. Why can't a team like Iowa ever seam to get over the hump and make one of these games? When does Iowa stop MSU on 4th down, finally figure our how to go through a season without a head scratching loss like ISU in 2002, Northwestern so many times, Purdue, etc. The fact that Iowa has only been to the B1G champ game one f'ing time is just inexplicable.
Because the other teams are a**holes that don't want Iowa to have nice things.

Fix that and you'll see Iowa play in these games.

Blame everyone else. That's the only way.

Don’t lose to Purdue and Northwestern for starters. Both games Iowa had in the bag, until they didn’t.

Despite all that, Iowa>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ISU.

So who will be the better pro? Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, or Trask?

Not Lawrence because he’s going to end up on a shit team. He’a got the goods to be at least a solid starter, but he’ll be doomed from the start. It’s really really hard to build a successful pro team around a rookie QB, no matter how talented.

Iowa could have competed against the big boys this year because of their defense and toughness. Petras in a dome late in the season would have been interesting, he seemed to find himself in the Illinois game. With that said, we would not have a shot at Alabama or OSU if they played this clean. Fields has been special

Because it seems we almost always have a glaring weakness.

That and we rarely play well for 4 quarters. Inconsistent offense game after game year after year.

Over the years I’ve just accepted we're simply not playing the same game the blue bloods are. I mean, probably the two best Iowa teams of my life got 1) dusted by USC, and 2) beat by a team that turned around and got dusted by Bama.

It’s cool, I still love the Hawks and CFB. But I have absolutely zero hope of ever seeing us win a title.

And more four stars too.
Yep. More of the 3 stars are the high 3s as well. Recruiting has improved lately. Will be interested to see how the next years class shakes out as there's not near as many prospects in state next year.

Last edited:
Because it seems we almost always have a glaring weakness.

That and we rarely play well for 4 quarters. Inconsistent offense game after game year after year.

True, but we are only one average OC and one average QB from fixing that problem and getting to the next level. Nothing else will compensate for not doing that.

Why not Iowa?

The answer has been on this board for the last 10 years: immobile QB play.

The coaching staff has made some positive philosophical strides in order to modernize the program in recent years, while largely remaining true to the things that distinguish the Iowa Hawkeyes program. But the sanctified devotion to a lone, increasingly obsolete QB style continues to be Iowa's achilles heel.

True, but we are only one average OC and one average QB from fixing that problem and getting to the next level. Nothing else will compensate for not doing that.
Actually what we need is one of the 5 star QB's that keep transferring because they can't beat out the other 5 stars at their original schools or "other" reasons for leaving.

Not sure if they were all 5 stars, but Jalen Hurts, Joe Burrow, Justin Fields seemed to do OK after they left their original schools. Let's get one of those.

What do you mean it's inexplicable? You just explained it.

Reactions: bozotheclown
At Iowa you have to find more diamonds in the rough. Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama can strike out on prospects only to have five more waiting in the wings. Iowa can't afford to waste the potential of one of their highest rated recruits. It seems unfair because it is.

Iowa can have the same record as say a Notre Dame, but I guarantee you Notre Dame would get more credit.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
I don't think Iowa has ever had a team that could compete with the talent, power and speed on display from Alabama OSU and even Clemson yesterday. Every Iowa team has weaknesses, but I didn't see many weaknesses in those three teams.

Look no further than Michigan. They've never been to the B1G Championship game and haven't won the B1G since 2004, when they shared with Iowa. They have a lot of advantages over Iowa and can't get it done.

I don't think Iowa has ever had a team that could compete with the talent, power and speed on display from Alabama OSU and even Clemson yesterday. Every Iowa team has weaknesses, but I didn't see many weaknesses in those three teams.
2002 team if they played the week after the Minnesota game could have stood toe to toe with any of those teams.

2009 possibly with a healthy Stanzi.

Reactions: icsedge1
It's pretty hard to get over the hump and play in one of these games when Iowa has been considered a national contender exactly 1 time and would have played had they not given up a 100 play, 99 yard drive that killed damn near a quarter of the game.

The other part of it is Iowa does not pass the "eye test" with too many 3 star recruits. KF is correct when he says "Iowa isn't a sexy program". Throw in the fact that the SEC bias practically guarantees 2 teams in the playoffs makes it especially difficult.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT