ADVERTISEMENT

Why not play Padilla in the 4th?

Wow! With a reply like this, I'm hard pressed to wonder if you've ever seen an Iowa game since those two have been on campus. The fact that he's still on the roster takes tremendous loyalty given the way KF has handled the QB position. Also, in the off season, Alex spoke nothing but great things about being here and he supports the team regardless of his role. Not sure many could say that
So you're basing his tremendous loyalty off Alex speaking once in the off season. Cool. What did you expect him to say in public? Actions speak louder than words....and you don't see everything that goes on. It's hard to give your posts any serious credit when you talk about AP's mobility, arm strength, and the "nice ball" he throws with accuracy. Have a good day!

I watch every minute of every game....and I usually watch them twice. Thanks for asking.
Well then they were not the same Iowa games I watched…it was a night and day difference in QB mobility when Padilla played last year. One QB had decent footwork and pocket presence to get out, the other looked like they were playing in quicksand…

If Padilla is as bad as you say he is then it’s another reason we shouldn’t have been risking Petras playing him late in a decided game

Said it in another thread but you all need to remember that these are college kids that work their butts off in practice and year round to be a football player. Kirk not giving the backup a series or two in a blowout win at 1:30 AM, in an empty stadium, with only a few of us watching was just freaking cruel. It's not like it was a big stage where the outstanding play of the backup would make it impossible to go back to the starter. It was a situation where very few were even watching or paying attention. Literally practice reps in a live scrimmage with another team. But nope, no way. How do you even handle that in the QB room watching film the next day? What do you even say? "Sorry kid, you're working hard, I wanted to get you in the game but the opportunity just wasn't there. Keep working hard, maybe next time??????"

It was BS. I wouldn't put up with it if I was one of those QBs. Kids want to play, or at least have a chance of playing, and if they don't get to play they're usually pretty reasonable and understand the reasons why better than we do. I just can't justify it here. You think they want to waste the best years of their football lives languishing away on the bench with zero rewards ever? Yeah, F that.
I coached high school basketball for 30 years and high school football for 20 years. When the game is no longer in doubt, that is the time to play backups. This gives those players valuable experience and gives them additional motivation to practice harder. Not playing a backup sends the wrong message to your team and future players.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
A couple things. Petras' Big Ten QBR ranked #12 after this week at 7.0 . Others of interest: #7 Mertz of Wisconsin QBR 67.5. #4 Morgan of Minn. QBR 83. Maybe Padilla deserves a chance. Can he really be worse? Next, all of the two deeps played in the Nevada game, except...............

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT