ADVERTISEMENT

Why not win out and be 8-4

WDMHawk72

HR MVP
Aug 14, 2016
None of our last 5 opponents are ranked much less in the scare category. It is conceivable. 3 home games to boot.

If we can get ANY momentum with big win this week and get some confidence with our offense then why not.

I'm not one of the regular HATERS on this cesspool board. I'm heading over from Des Moines this weekend like I do every home game. If we lose - so be it. Terrible year. But I WILL go down with the ship unlike a lot of you. We're from IOWA - remember that. We don't quit on our team.

None of our last 5 opponents are ranked much less in the scare category. It is conceivable. 3 home games to boot.

If we can get ANY momentum with big win this week and get some confidence with our offense then why not.

I'm not one of the regular HATERS on this cesspool board. I'm heading over from Des Moines this weekend like I do every home game. If we lose - so be it. Terrible year. But I WILL go down with the ship unlike a lot of you. We're from IOWA - remember that. We don't quit on our team.
Not quitting on the team. Ferentz sucks the hope and confidence out of the fan base by bizarre actions and comments. Most of college football is run with computers. We are run by rotary phones. Get it.

The best way to predict the future is to look at past results. And based on this, we know a few things:
  • KF-coached teams generally get better as the season goes on (though not always)
  • Defensive players and OL players generally get better as the season goes on under KF
  • Offensive skill position players generally do not demonstrate a lot of in-season improvement under KF
  • KF-coached teams generally keep fighting through the entire season. Rarely has a team gone into a complete tailspin to end the season ... even when things have looked bleak
  • Iowa may have just played the three toughest teams on its schedule
  • On numerous times throughout his career, KF has pulled rabbits out of his hat and won games many expected him to lose.
Based on all this, I think it's completely reasonable to think that Iowa could win at least 3 or 4 more games this season. Winning out would be a surprise, but not a shocker. I think 8-4 is more likely than 4-8.

Exactly, that's why I will keep going to the games. It seems like everyone on the O feels like it is not a matter of "if" they can execute or not... it's not too difficult. It is a matter of performing/executing more consistently, making all the makeable plays, and not shooting themselves in the foot with penalties, TOs, and missed assignments. It sounds like many on the team feel like they are close to getting there. We haven't seen a complete game yet, so why not this Saturday? Go Hawks!

because it would let KF & BF off the hook and probably bring back Petras next year

going 8-4 does nothing to solve the long-term problems
Definitely doesn't solve it but a big step in right direction. We are better than this.

8-4=Brian keeps his job.

I won’t cheer against the Hawks….but if the offense continues to do nothing, and the defense and special teams will us to 8-4…and all is great in Ferentzville with the same cast coming back…it’s going to be hard to get excited about renewing tickets next spring.

No, we can't beat Purdue. That would completely destroy one of the main narratives for the season from the get go.
Kirk and Phil have no clue how to stop a good qb in a spread O, Purdue will put up mid 30 or 40 in this game. I'm concerned this awful N'west team will score 30. Kirk is 4-9 vs Fitzy, who is like 30% vs the rest of the Big 10.

Most fans are not quitting on the Hawkeye players, they are fed up with Ferentzx2.

Oh yeah, why are you swimming around in this cesspool super fan. Get over yourself!

vs N'west - Should be an ugly ugly win like last year. Due to N'west being awful. 20-12 (w)

at Purdue - Little chance. Won't be OhioSt second half bad but Boilers good qb and short pass game will, as usual, not be stopped. 13-37 (L)

vs Whisky - Only have to stop the run vs Whisky, but like only have to stop the short pass vs Purdue. Never seems to happen. Whisky isn't good and home field will help. Classic Kirk 9-13 (L)

vs Minny - Road game, Minny is decent. If qb is back forget it. 10-27 (L)

vs Skers - Coachless, clueless Huskers. They are scoring a lot lately, which is scary since Hawks cannot score. But home game, Husker usual vs Hawk choke and Kirk knowing a win saves kid. 15-14 (w) students charge field !

Kirk and Phil have no clue how to stop a good qb in a spread O, Purdue will put up mid 30 or 40 in this game. I'm concerned this awful N'west team will score 30. Kirk is 4-9 vs Fitzy, who is like 30% vs the rest of the Big 10.

For all the complaints about Purdue, it’s not like they’ve regularly lit up the scoreboard against Iowa and Phil. Yards, yes; points…not so much.

If the offense simply found a semblance of a pulse we could win out. No one’s offense scares me the rest of the way, and no one has a shutdown defense.

Do you actually want to know why not? My main reason would be because in my football watching experience you have to generally score offensive TD"s to win games.
This day and age you have to score a lot of TD's to win games vs good teams. Ask Saban. Don't ask Kirk. Matter of fact, don't interrogate Kirk at all.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
This day and age you have to score a lot of TD's to win games vs good teams. Ask Saban. Don't ask Kirk. Matter of fact, don't interrogate Kirk at all.
Actually I think Kirk cleared this up, sounds like he’s ok with being interrogated when he’s better than you. I imagine that’s the case pretty much all the time from his perspective.

• Haha
Reactions: SBWarriorHawk
Actually I think Kirk cleared this up, sounds like he’s ok with being interrogated when he’s better than you. I imagine that’s the case pretty much all the time from his perspective.
Great. Now this thread is going to get deleted too.

What’s the upside?

Don't be dumb. Hawkeye fans want Iowa to beat Purdue.

Yes, even the ones that fully support Charlie's decision to leave for a different school, want the Hawks to win.
Don't like Purdue. Want Iowa to beat Purdue. Charlie Jones made what is a genius decision to transfer as a WR from here to there. Purdue with a bye week this week. With all that said, Purdue likely beats Iowa convincingly.

Most fans are not quitting on the Hawkeye players, they are fed up with Ferentzx2.

Oh yeah, why are you swimming around in this cesspool super fan. Get over yourself!
I visit this board because there are posters who give out meaningful insight - you just aren't one of them. I fully expect dudes like you to post the negative - I just weed out the bad one's. You fit that category dew(sh) boy.

you should post more

Reactions: RLMHAWK
I visit this board because there are posters who give out meaningful insight - you just aren't one of them. I fully expect dudes like you to post the negative - I just weed out the bad one's. You fit that category dew(sh) boy.
Such an immature child resorting to name calling. I will put you on ignore "dude" to protect you from my negative posts.

Northwestern starting a new QB also.

it could happen if the defense scores. otherwise it's not. This offense isn't getting any better.

Yeah, Kirk usually plays right into Fitzy's hands or plans of crowding the box and doing everything to muck up the LOS. Fitz knows if you take away Iowa's run game then the usually average to poor passing attack just falters.

Fitz' offense usually spreads the Iowa defense out and they find some running room and just toss the ball all over the field especially with short passes.

win-major-league.gif

Problem with Iowa fans identified.

I think Iowa will win this weekend. I’d like to see the defense see some positive results for how well they’ve played this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT