ADVERTISEMENT

Why the Best Time to Drink Coffee Is Not When You Wake Up

Dec 31, 2014
For the coffee aficionados amongst us.

Inferesting.

“Many of us believe that life (or at least your day) begins with coffee. Whether hot or cold brewed, French-pressed or dripped, Americano or latte, we rely on our morning caffeine fix to wake up our body and sharpen our mind. In fact, some of us can’t complete a full sentence before that first cup.

But what if we told you that you’d probably get more bang for your buck from an energy perspective if you waited an hour or so to drink your coffee rather than the moment you opened your eyes?

Why? It’s all about stress hormones and biological rhythms.”

Coffee on the upswing has always been counterintuitive to me. I save caffeine for later in the day just like I saved the TURBO button in Pole Position for the end of the race when I was a kid in the 80s.

Insert Why not both gif

It's because your body naturally releases cortisol in the morning -- well for most people, depends on your circadian rhythm...

This is a stress hormone that coffee also induces production of. So the idea is to give your body a minute to get going -- you might not need the coffee at all.

(by drinking coffee automatically you might cause unnecessary stress)

For the coffee aficionados amongst us.

Inferesting.

“Many of us believe that life (or at least your day) begins with coffee. Whether hot or cold brewed, French-pressed or dripped, Americano or latte, we rely on our morning caffeine fix to wake up our body and sharpen our mind. In fact, some of us can’t complete a full sentence before that first cup.

But what if we told you that you’d probably get more bang for your buck from an energy perspective if you waited an hour or so to drink your coffee rather than the moment you opened your eyes?

Why? It’s all about stress hormones and biological rhythms.”

Yeah, well that's just like your opinion, man.gif

But what does Elon think?
I don’t know about musk but similar to this got big play when Andrew Huberman was on Joe Rohan’s show. His recommendation was stay off caffeine for 90 minutes to allow the body to get rid of adenosine. Essentially he claims that if you still have adenosine the caffeine will perk you up but the body will not get rid of the adenosine so when you’re not hopped up on caffeine the adenosine gives you the afternoon crash.

I get up, get dressed, take my morning meds, make coffee, walk the dog and when I come back 20 minutes later I have my coffee.
Maybe not an hour but for sure 30-35 minutes. Any more than that? Nope. Can’t do it.

I drink 32oz of ice cold water right after I wake up. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I assume it has nothing on cold water first thing in the morning. Coffee is more of a habit in the morning for my wife vs something that gets her going. She drinks an energy drink everyday at 8:30am.

Reactions: NoleinATL
I don’t know about musk but similar to this got big play when Andrew Huberman was on Joe Rohan’s show. His recommendation was stay off caffeine for 90 minutes to allow the body to get rid of adenosine. Essentially he claims that if you still have adenosine the caffeine will perk you up but the body will not get rid of the adenosine so when you’re not hopped up on caffeine the adenosine gives you the afternoon crash.
I am not a medical guy, but I thought adenosine was a drug to keep your heart in rhythm.

I get up, get dressed, take my morning meds, make coffee, walk the dog and when I come back 20 minutes later I have my coffee.
Maybe not an hour but for sure 30-35 minutes. Any more than that? Nope. Can’t do it.
Do you take your AM meds before your coffee? I have found that if I take my meds after coffee/booze the morning seems to go by a little quicker......In fact there are some mornings I wake up extra early to start my coffee/booze regimen......those are the good days!

A cup of coffee the first thing in the morning. When I was getting up at 4:00 to run, younger days, I always had coffee before I went out the door.

Do you take your AM meds before your coffee? I have found that if I take my meds after coffee/booze the morning seems to go by a little quicker......In fact there are some mornings I wake up extra early to start my coffee/booze regimen......those are the good days!
I have to take my thyroid medication before anything else.

So, this thread turned into the old people talking about their meds? Just don't mix up the little blue one in the morning, otherwise it's use it or lose it.

I drink 32oz of ice cold water right after I wake up. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I assume it has nothing on cold water first thing in the morning. Coffee is more of a habit in the morning for my wife vs something that gets her going. She drinks an energy drink everyday at 8:30am.
Me to. I drink a giant glass of water first thing when I wake up. Then I start slamming Diet Mt. Dew if I am working that day.

Any time is a good time for coffee.

When I was in college I could drink a pot of coffee while staying up late cramming for an exam the next morning, and fall straight asleep when I was done studying.

Today? If I drink a cup of coffee after dinner there will be no sleep that night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT