ADVERTISEMENT

Why the mask culture wars may never end...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
WASHINGTON — You can wear a mask inside Fiddleheads Café, but it will cost you. “$5 added to orders placed while wearing a face mask,” reads a sign pasted on a window of the restaurant, located in the Northern California town of Mendocino.

On the other side of the country, at the Middle Eastern restaurant Little Sesame in downtown Washington, D.C., there is also a sign greeting visitors. “No mask, no hummus,” that sign declares.

Culture wars have a funny way of sneaking up on America. The NRA was once a sedate club of gun enthusiasts. Some conservative Christians initially supported the 1973 Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade, which made abortion legal nationwide. Eighteen months ago, it would have been difficult to imagine that a strip of fabric was about to become the most contentious topic of public discourse, the stuff of presidential politics and “Saturday Night Live” sketches. That some people would burn masks in protest, while others wore $465 silken face coverings from the Beverly Hills boutique House of Bijan.

Yet here we are.

Fiddleheads owner Chris Castleman told Yahoo News that a recent count of passersby yielded a 90 percent rate of masking outdoors. He estimates that about 1 out of 3 drivers he sees driving past his restaurant is still wearing a mask.

“It’s a psychological thing,” Castleman said. “I don’t think they will ever go away completely.”

And neither will the mask culture wars.

That masks are sticking around is incontrovertible. The longer they stick around, the more likely they become part of the post-pandemic normal as opposed to merely a quirk of post-pandemic life. New York City’s popular Shakespeare in the Park festival will be back this year, but with a mask requirement in place, despite the fact that people sitting outdoors quietly are highly unlikely to spread the coronavirus. Children don’t generally contract or spread the coronavirus either, but many will begin the 2021-22 school year wearing masks. For them in particular, masking could become a regular habit, even as some have maintained that making children wear masks is a form of cruelty.

Masks have been divisive from the start, and even though the pandemic appears to be nearing its end in much of the United States, mask-related divisions remain as wide as ever. Those divisions could persist for months to come, or even for years, given the tremendous passions these flimsy little objects have continued to excite.

“Because masks have been so politicized, I think the battle will be ongoing,” Dr. Lucy McBride, a pediatrician in Washington, D.C., told Yahoo News. “For some people, masks symbolize oppression; for others, they signify the ability to control the uncontrollable.”

Masking did not immediately emerge as a culture war issue, but it is doubtless here to stay. Conservative media outlets have been criticizing Dr. Anthony Fauci for days because an email from February 2020 seemed to have him saying that masks don’t really work.

The claim — that Fauci knew masks were ineffective — is false because it erases a crucial context: Everyone was uncertain about what masks were for and who was supposed to wear them and where. Fauci was merely reflecting scientific opinion, the uncertainty of the early days of the pandemic, when the mask was forged as a symbol of either sound science and citizenship or, on the other hand, government overconfidence and overreach.

That wouldn’t have been obvious in March 2020, when lockdowns first went into effect. It wasn’t until early April that New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy put in place the nation’s first state-level mask mandate. By then, the coronavirus had been spreading across the country for four months.

Much of the early pandemic response had been marked by what has come to be deemed, not very kindly, “hygiene theater.” People thought the virus could be spread via surfaces. They had been told that was how it spread, so they acted accordingly. Things were made “touchless.” Hand sanitizer became a prized possession. Songs about proper handwashing technique went viral. If all this seems silly now, well, it certainly didn’t seem silly then.

At the same time, scientists were increasingly convinced that the virus spreads almost exclusively by air, not through surface-based particles called fomites. And the clearer that became, the clearer it became to public health officials like Fauci that hand sanitizer was not going to win this game. Masks were.

So suddenly the mask became a symbol of taking the pandemic seriously, of listening to the science, of being a responsible citizen who does not want to get fellow citizens sick. Which is why images of a maskless Nancy Pelosi or John Kerry always made news. They made politicians seem like hypocrites, in particular because those had been the very same politicians who had been touting masks.

Progressives may concede that the science has evolved and that just as many Democrats have been letdowns in this pandemic as Republicans. Maybe the messaging could have been clearer, this argument goes. Outside masking mandates could have been lifted. Something should have been decided about children in masks. But on this one issue they tend to be blunt, and to side with Maryland’s Gov. Larry Hogan, himself very much a Republican: “It’s not that hard, just wear a damn mask.”

Former President Donald Trump was the nation’s premier mask skeptic, while President Biden has been criticized for masking too assiduously, even for months after he was vaccinated. In that sense, the mask is also a symbol of the contentious 2020 campaign, of Trump defiantly holding rallies and mocking Biden for masking, while Biden videocast from his home in Delaware. One side urged a return to normal, while the other side endorsed business lockdowns and school closures.

At bottom, the debate about masks is a debate about views on social accountability and individual freedom. Those views are deeply held, which is why mask-related confrontations have been so heated.

Those confrontations continue, as a recent trip to a pool in Rockville, Md., vividly demonstrated. Two fathers watched their children taking lessons when one confronted the other because he was not wearing a mask. The unmasked father explained that he was vaccinated. Seeming to take some offense, the masked father said he was vaccinated too, but that pool rules on masking were pretty unambiguous and had been for months (the fathers presumably did not know that a nearby Yahoo News reporter was following their exchange).

The unmasked father shrugged off the complaint and went back to watching his child swim. The father who’d confronted him rose and went to find another seat.

That people will continue to wear masks is all but certain, at least for the foreseeable future. For one thing, there are 10 million people in the United States with immune disorders that make vaccination less effective. Then there are young children, who won’t be eligible for vaccination until late 2021 at the earliest. Then there are people like Amber Elby, a novelist based in Austin, Texas. “As long as I have cute Disney fabric, I’m going to keep making and wearing masks,” she recently tweeted. Some women have said they might continue to mask up to avoid catcalls and other harassment from men.

(continued on next post)

To be sure, masks are unlikely to be as prevalent as they were during the worst days of the pandemic. But they are also unlikely to go the way of face shields, which disappeared from most everyday settings because they could be awkward to wear, but even more important, were ineffective. Masks are the opposite in terms of efficaciousness, so much so that in 2020, the then director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Dr. Robert Redfield, said masks offered better protection than a vaccine.

That “vaccine” also offers protection — in a kind of bonus — to every other common airborne pathogen that might sicken a person. Of which there are many. In many East Asian countries, masking against seasonal illness was normal before the coronavirus pandemic. The same could now become true in the United States. Fauci, the top science adviser to the Biden administration, has predicted that masks could become a “seasonal” mainstay, returning with the cold weather and the respiratory disease it brings.

“I can tell you that next winter, when I’m in crowded areas like taking public transportation, I, myself, will probably wear a mask so I can prevent not just COVID but other respiratory illnesses as well,” an infectious disease expert at the Mount Sinai Medical Health System in New York recently told the Washington Post.

“I have a hard time predicting the future on this one,” said Andrew Hartman, a historian at Illinois State University and author of “A War for the Soul of America,” a chronicle of the nation’s culture wars. But, he added, “I could see it persisting. It has all the dynamics of a culture war issue.”

All great culture war issues are psychological as much as they are political. They fire up the moral imagination, turning otherwise ordinary people into fierce partisans. Nor is the magnitude of those passions necessarily tied to real-world developments and trends. The nation’s abortion rate has been dropping for years, but few cultural issues so readily animate conservatives and progressives alike.

Dr. Monica Gandhi, an infectious disease expert at the University of California, San Francisco, told Yahoo News that she thinks masks will stick around, in some form, “for a long time,” perhaps the next two years. They won’t be mandated again, she said, but that could only exacerbate matters, pitting people who want to keep wearing masks against those who see them as a pointless virtue signal. Heavy-handed though they may have been, government mandates took pressure off individuals.

Now that the mandates are gone or going, individuals have to negotiate the fraught dynamics of wearing (or not wearing) a mask, as the exchange between the two swim dads in Rockville showed. The irony is that 63.5 percent of Americans over the age of 18 in the United States are vaccinated, among the highest rates in the world. Critics of masking have wondered why some of the same people who were eager to see the vaccine distributed are also eager to keep wearing masks.

“They claim to be pro-science, but when the science informs them of something different than what they believe, they don’t want to adjust,” said Castleman, the Mendocino restaurant owner. “They,” in this case, are all the people in his community who had installed lawn signs about how science is real and facts matter. When the science on outdoor transmission came in, some of them decided that the science wasn’t quite real enough just yet.

Yes, continuing to wear a mask may defy science, but it also defies those who never took science seriously in the first place or those who demonized masks from the very start. Keeping the mask on can serve as a recognition that we’ve been through something dark and serious, something that no amount of summertime hedonism is going to efface.

“I’ll wear them as long as I want. True of masks, true of my oldest shirts,” recently tweeted the NPR culture critic Linda Holmes. Twitter is both an echo chamber and a gladiator pen, but the reactions to her tweet were nevertheless telling. “I can’t imagine getting on the subway without one….ever again,” writer Jen A. Miller responded.

Liberals don’t want to forget the pandemic because they don’t want to forget all the racial and economic inequalities it exposed, the politicians it showed to be selfish or foolish, the institutions it revealed to be broken. A recent column for Vice, the news outlet popular among millennials, argued that people were still wearing masks because they were “traumatized.”

That’s precisely the sentiment that infuriates conservatives, who think the harms of the pandemic have been overstated. That’s not to say they don’t believe that the pandemic was real or that it killed thousands of people. Rather, they argue that the economic and psychological effects of locking up were too great. The fervor of Tucker Carlson’s anti-mask diatribe in late April was a sign of just how deeply masks are associated with the caution-first approach to the pandemic — and just how deeply that approach bothers some.

It could take years to fully litigate the pandemic from its many cultural and political angles. The wounds of cultural grievance run deep on both sides, and they are likely to remain even after businesses pull down mask-related fliers once and for all.

They are and will slowly fade away from the mainstream. Anyone that wants to keep wearing them should be able to do so. Anyone that wants to throw them all in the trash should be able to do so as well. Wether you’re signaling, actually “traumatized,” etc. we’re at a point it needs to be an individual decision.

You can wear a mask inside Fiddleheads Café, but it will cost you. “$5 added to orders placed while wearing a face mask,” reads a sign pasted on a window of the restaurant, located in the Northern California town of Mendocino.

Fiddleheads owner Chris Castleman told Yahoo News that a recent count of passersby yielded a 90 percent rate of masking outdoors. He estimates that about 1 out of 3 drivers he sees driving past his restaurant is still wearing a mask.

“It’s a psychological thing,” Castleman said. “I don’t think they will ever go away completely.”
Why the fvck does he care? How - exactly - does this impact him?

Reactions: HawkCat and BioHawk
Outside the US (esp. Asia), masks are very common during cold & flu season. When I first saw them, I assumed the wearer was some kind of germophobe, worried about catching “cooties” from foreigners like me.

Then someone explained that this person maybe had a sniffle, or a fever, or someone in their household did, and it all made sense.

I‘ve stopped wearing masks in most settings (esp. outdoors, but not on airplanes). But I’ll keep a box in the closet for flu season. Masks are decently effective against COVID, but extremely effective against flu, to the point of driving some flu variants to the brink of extinction.

Outside the US (esp. Asia), masks are very common during cold & flu season. When I first saw them, I assumed the wearer was some kind of germophobe, worried about catching “cooties” from foreigners like me.

Then someone explained that this person maybe had a sniffle, or a fever, or someone in their household did, and it all made sense.

I‘ve stopped wearing masks in most settings (esp. outdoors, but not on airplanes). But I’ll keep a box in the closet for flu season. Masks are decently effective against COVID, but extremely effective against flu, to the point of driving some flu variants to the brink of extinction.
Same. Some people who are vulnerable still wear them and that is great. But my attitude is that if you have not been vaccinated by now it is on you and not my problem.

First of all Children do get and spread COVID. They are just less likely to get sick from it and those that do are less likely to have serious complications.

But they do get and spread COVID. Which is one of the reasons why it's probably a good idea for schools to wear masks until the kids can be vaccinated as well.

I don't think that generally speaking you are going to be seeing people walking around during the summer a year from now with a mask on. I do think it's possible that people might start wearing masks against the seasonal flu etc during the winter. And the right is likely to throw a shit fit over people doing that.

America. This is who we are. All angst. Because we know that, deep down, so much of who we think we are is a damn kids story, all full of feel-good for our silly psyche.

The design of social media should make it so obvious to us just who we are. But we don’t bother to take a step back and ask questions. We just dive right in.

Because affirmations feel so good.

First of all Children do get and spread COVID. They are just less likely to get sick from it and those that do are less likely to have serious complications.

But they do get and spread COVID. Which is one of the reasons why it's probably a good idea for schools to wear masks until the kids can be vaccinated as well.

I don't think that generally speaking you are going to be seeing people walking around during the summer a year from now with a mask on. I do think it's possible that people might start wearing masks against the seasonal flu etc during the winter. And the right is likely to throw a shit fit over people doing that.
I think people will be fine with others wearing masks, I think what people are hoping is the people that do routinely wear masks don't start shaming those that aren't.

Reactions: Finance85
I think people will be fine with others wearing masks, I think what people are hoping is the people that do routinely wear masks don't start shaming those that aren't.

Tucker Carlson advocated that having your children wear masks is a form of child abuse.

The right is absolutely going to throw a hissy fit about people wearing masks. It's not just that they don't want to do it. . . it makes them angry when someone else does it too.

Tucker Carlson advocated that having your children wear masks is a form of child abuse.

The right is absolutely going to throw a hissy fit about people wearing masks. It's not just that they don't want to do it. . . it makes them angry when someone else does it too.
I'd say not to take what someone like Tucker Carlson says as a mainstream opinion.

Weird. People showing concern for others, even people they don’t know who they come into casual contact with.

It's usually the other way. See the example of the two fathers in the story.

I'm not so sure about that. The artucle leads off with a business owner who posted a sign indicating a surcharge for customers wearing a mask (despite stating that most people passing by are wearing them). Anecdotally, a friend of mine who owns a great little restaurant in my hometown recently posted a Facebook rant wondering why so many people were still wearing masks.

There are plenty of anti-maskers who have taken on an extremely hostile attitude towards those who still wear them.

Same. Some people who are vulnerable still wear them and that is great. But my attitude is that if you have not been vaccinated by now it is on you and not my problem.
My MIL spent the majority of the COVID year going through chemo. She’s now cancer-free and has been vaccinated, but she’s also since been tested for antibodies and she doesn’t have them. This is a thing for some with significantly compromised immune systems. My in-laws continue to take quite a few precautions, including mask wearing. Some will likely continue for some time.

Enragement = Engagement. And that's how Zuck and Jack get paid...
It's much more basic than that. Underneath that is affirmation. Identity affirmation. The enragement thing is simply another part of, another facet of, the aforementioned.

It's usually the other way. See the example of the two fathers in the story.

I would say he would be wrong to get on him about masks outside except for the fact that the rules still required masks. So I'm not sure it's a bad thing to ask people to follow the rules.

I'd say not to take what someone like Tucker Carlson says as a mainstream opinion.

He has a pretty high viewership for someone who's not in the mainstream.

It would be different if he was some rando with a podcast or a blogger that less than a million people tune into.

But he's the top guy at fox with millions of viewers

This is so true. Not necessarily the hair part, but the Democrat Signaling is totally true. I still can't believe how many people are walking around OUTSIDE in Iowa City with masks. It don't care if they do, it's no skin off my back. But...I have to ask, why? Fauci, CDC, science - the same things we've been preaching to follow for the last 12 months - are all on the same page on this one. All I can think of is it's signaling.

Yep. I will keep a stash of masks around, especially for air travel during flu season and at times when I am traveling while fighting a cold. It seems like a common courtesy to wear one while in close quarters with others when fighting an illness.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
He has a pretty high viewership for someone who's not in the mainstream.

It would be different if he was some rando with a podcast or a blogger that less than a million people tune into.

But he's the top guy at fox with millions of viewers
His numbers don't constitute "mainstream" beliefs. Even there, his viewership is a tiny fraction of the population.

Reactions: hawkeye54545
This is so true. Not necessarily the hair part, but the Democrat Signaling is totally true. I still can't believe how many people are walking around OUTSIDE in Iowa City with masks. It don't care if they do, it's no skin off my back. But...I have to ask, why? Fauci, CDC, science - the same things we've been preaching to follow for the last 12 months - are all on the same page on this one. All I can think of is it's signaling.
Ignore the "signal".

Funny, maybe 20% continue to wear them where I live.
I don't think we're quite that low in the IC/Coralville area, but mask usage has dropped significantly in the past couple of weeks. I'd say we're probably still sitting close to 50% indoors, but that number will continue to drop. Very rare to see someone outside wearing a mask. If you got to any youth or HS game you might see 1 or 2 people masked up.

I expect a full Kinnick stadium w/ no mask requirement on 9/4......

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Pretty sure he has the #1 rated primetime news show in America.

I guess most rational people would call that "mainstream."

Just because something is moronic, doesn't mean it cannot be mainstream.
I guess it depends on how you define mainstream...and viewership. Compare the views he espouses to those of the majority. He isn't fringe...but the majority of people don't share his extreme views. As for viewership, he has a small segment of a highly balkanized market. Rachel Maddow pulled nearly identical numbers for the week of May 24.

TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHTFOX NEWS CHANNEL1.82,907
RACHEL MADDOW SHOWMSNBC1.72,590

Are they both mainstream?

I guess it depends on how you define mainstream...and viewership. Compare the views he espouses to those of the majority. He isn't fringe...but the majority of people don't share his extreme views. As for viewership, he has a small segment of a highly balkanized market. Rachel Maddow pulled nearly identical numbers for the week of May 24.

TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHTFOX NEWS CHANNEL1.82,907
RACHEL MADDOW SHOWMSNBC1.72,590

Are they both mainstream?
I agree with this. Plus, the more extreme someone is I feel like the more likely they are to spend a weeknight watching political opinion shows. So a high% of people who are extremists will watch.

I'd like to think " mainstream" people have better things to do/watch.

I agree with this. Plus, the more extreme someone is I feel like the more likely they are to spend a weeknight watching political opinion shows. So a high% of people who are extremists will watch.

I'd like to think " mainstream" people have better things to do/watch.
You got that right!
1FAMILY FEUD (AT)CBS TV DISTRIBUTION5.58587
2JUDGE JUDY (AT)CBS TV DISTRIBUTION5.27593

Reactions: hawkeye54545
I am done with them. If a place wants to require them that’s fine. I will wear one if it’s some place I really want to be or have to be. If there are non-mask options I will go that route.

get vaccinated and move forward. Sucks for people that can’t get vaccinated but lots of people have issues they need to worry about as individuals (peanut allergy).

I think it continues to fade. At least in Iowa City I'd say we're down to something less than 10% that wear masks outside. Maybe less than 5%. It's pretty low. And then you have the fact that some people might be wearing them for alternative reasons (they're nice if you have allergies) or if they've just been in a store that requires them still or whatnot.

I don't think the virtue signaling on this one goes on forever.

Ignore the "signal".

I just can't ignore people. I wish I could.

Iowa State shirt - "Who raised you so poorly?"
Crocks with socks - "C'mon man, out in the real world, really?"
Flat brim hat with the sticker still on - "Dude, that was never really cool. FFS."
Mask on outside - "Even Fauci says it's fine bro, why?!"

I'm just judgy / curious.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
I just can't ignore people. I wish I could.

Iowa State shirt - "Who raised you so poorly?"
Crocks with socks - "C'mon man, out in the real world, really?"
Flat brim hat with the sticker still on - "Dude, that was never really cool. FFS."
Mask on outside - "Even Fauci says it's fine bro, why?!"

I'm just judgy / curious.
Best part of wearing a mask is being able to mouth really bad things at people wearing a Duke shirt. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Hawki97
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT