ADVERTISEMENT

Why won't Bohannon take a redshirt?

Feb 25, 2008
Let's say that Jordan decides to play out his senior year despite clearly being affected by his hip injury, which is what I expect him to do, unfortunately.

What are some reasons why Jordan would choose to do this as opposed to taking that free redshirt season?

Let's say that Jordan decides to play out his senior year despite clearly being affected by his hip injury, which is what I expect him to do, unfortunately.

What are some reasons why Jordan would choose to do this as opposed to taking that free redshirt season?

Don’t take this personally, but what in the **** are you talking about?

The thread title is misleading.

OP is asking what the arguments are for Bohannon playing the rest of the season vs. taking the redshirt.

He might consider it if he's feeling good enough and it looks like he can help the team achieve something special, like a Sweet Sixteen or better. That's about the only reason I can think of.

If Jordan wants to continue in basketball after Iowa, it will be as a coach and not as a player. He is neither quick enough, has no hops, and as everyone on this board has stated ad nauseam, his defense is almost non-existing.
His final hurrah in this game maybe trying to become the second Iowa player to win the 3-point contest during final four week.
Whatever decision he makes in the next few weeks will have no bearing on he future playing career.
P.S. ok, maybe that's a little too harsh, there's always foreign countries he could get to play in and follow the path as Matt Gatens did after he graduated.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
If Jordan wants to continue in basketball after Iowa, it will be as a coach and not as a player. He is neither quick enough, has no hops, and as everyone on this board has stated ad nauseam, his defense is almost non-existing.
His final hurrah in this game maybe trying to become the second Iowa player to win the 3-point contest during final four week.
Whatever decision he makes in the next few weeks will have no bearing on he future playing career.
P.S. ok, maybe that's a little too harsh, there's always foreign countries he could get to play in and follow the path as Matt Gatens did after he graduated.
He could easily play overseas for 10 years provided his hip let's him do it.

There's a chance the roster looks a lot different next year and he knows that.

Reasons to not redshirt this year:
  • Wants to help the team this year if he can (it's easier for us as fans to want him to sit out, but Bohannon is around these guys all the time and is friends with them - I imagine it would be difficult to sit out when you feel like you can help, even if you're only at 70%)
  • Could be his last chance to play with Garza or Wieskamp if they leave early (looks like Wieskamp isn't having the type of year he'd need to leave early, but if he turns it around maybe he looks at the NBA again), and it's his last chance to play with Kriener
  • If he's on pace to graduate, maybe he doesn't want to stay in college another year
  • No guarantee that he'll make a full recovery for next year - the announcers last night said his other hip is starting to bother him. Unfortunately, he might just not be able to physically play for very long and next year may be as big of a struggle as this year is.
With all that said, I fully expect him to redshirt and come back next year. Bohannon is not going to the NBA. He might be able to make some good money playing overseas, but playing for Iowa is going to be the most fun he has playing basketball for his career. Assuming everyone comes back next year, Iowa is going to have a lot of talent and experience, and could very well be a preseason top 25 team.

This is semantics but he’s not redshirting. We think he will stop playing soon and apply for a medical hardship which he can do provided there’s an injury / illness type of situation and he’s not exceeded the 30% games rule and not played past the halfway point in the season (or something like that).

You cannot ‘redshirt’ once you play in a game.

This is semantics but he’s not redshirting. We think he will stop playing soon and apply for a medical hardship which he can do provided there’s an injury / illness type of situation and he’s not exceeded the 30% games rule and not played past the halfway point in the season (or something like that).

You cannot ‘redshirt’ once you play in a game.
???????

i don't care what HB does, but there is no doubt in my mind that he would have a better years statistically next year than he will have this year. That isn't probably the most important thing in his mind though.

Also, it sounds like his other hip may be in need of surgery too. That is a lot for a 21 year old kid to endure.

He’s going to redshirt and chase the B1G record for 3 pointers made in a career next year. He’s just giving himself a little boost towards that effort this year. ;)

Yep , hes out there to jack 3s and not much else.

Delaying the team from forming chemistry with the lineups that will play the majority of the season.

Overall not a positive for the team IMO considering the heavy minutes hes logging.

Yep , hes out there to jack 3s and not much else.

Delaying the team from forming chemistry with the lineups that will play the majority of the season.

Overall not a positive for the team IMO considering the heavy minutes hes logging.
Yep, and I still wholeheartedly believe he will play out the season, even though I think he should sit.

Maybe JBO can talk to you about shutting it down

There's a chance the roster looks a lot different next year and he knows that.

He could grad transfer out if that were the case as I imagine he will have completed his undergrad degree.

Minny will likely be his last game as that is the 10 game mark, will probably shut it down after that.
It is the Hawks’ 10th game, but only Jordan’s 9th, as he sat out against Cal Poly. I’m not super familiar with the redshirt rules, and whether it’s 10 games played by the team... but I think it’s 10 games played by the individual in the first half of the season, or something like that... which would allow Jordan to play against State

Rock and Roll I hope you are kidding, but I'm guessing you are not. We basically have 7 healthy scholarship players, 8 I guess if you include Riley Till and you are complaining about Bohannon stealing minutes? From who, besides Joe T, who I think Fran is doing a nice job of gradually working in. Evelyn? Grad transfer from Valpo who shot 30% at Valpo last year? Riley Till? Pemsl? Because that's basically our bench. At this point it looks like Patrick probably isn't coming back, at least it's not looking promising. Bohannon has been much needed and was actually huge in a couple of our biggest wins, Texas Tech and Syracuse. If he sits after the Iowa State game, which I'm still not sure he will, I guess it depends on how he can manage the pain, we basically will nobody besides Weiskamp who can hit a 3.

My bad I totally forgot about CJF. Not sure what his status is either. Hoping he can heal up quickly.

Why would he transfer? He's loved here!

Well if Luka and Joe were to leave (very very doubtful IMO) he might one last crack at the NCAAs. If Fran loses those two (he won't IMO) it ain't happening next year.

It is the Hawks’ 10th game, but only Jordan’s 9th, as he sat out against Cal Poly. I’m not super familiar with the redshirt rules, and whether it’s 10 games played by the team... but I think it’s 10 games played by the individual in the first half of the season, or something like that... which would allow Jordan to play against State

This is correct. The player can play up to 1/3 of the team's games (10 in this case) and none after the halfway point. JBo has played in 8, he can play tomorrow and against ISU. Then he has to make his decision.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
He will play tonight and then against ISU and shut it down.

The real question is will PMac red shirt.

Yeah, I realize he's already missed a ton of time, but if PMac sits the rest of the year, along with JBo, that kills depth. Now, same as with JBo, if he isn't 100%, he needs to shut it down and get healthy. I'd rather they both sit the rest of this year and start next year 100% than get 75% of both for the rest of this year. That's assuming both could get to or stay at 75%, which I'm not convinced of considering they'll have 18 B1G games left after tomorrow, along with a BTT game.

That's a lot of stress to put on not so healthy bodies.

Rock and Roll I hope you are kidding, but I'm guessing you are not. We basically have 7 healthy scholarship players, 8 I guess if you include Riley Till and you are complaining about Bohannon stealing minutes? From who, besides Joe T, who I think Fran is doing a nice job of gradually working in. Evelyn? Grad transfer from Valpo who shot 30% at Valpo last year? Riley Till? Pemsl? Because that's basically our bench. At this point it looks like Patrick probably isn't coming back, at least it's not looking promising. Bohannon has been much needed and was actually huge in a couple of our biggest wins, Texas Tech and Syracuse. If he sits after the Iowa State game, which I'm still not sure he will, I guess it depends on how he can manage the pain, we basically will nobody besides Weiskamp who can hit a 3.

Definitely not kidding.

A, Iowa needs Tousaint to improve by being on the floor. Hes going to have to play allot more after ISU game.

B, Iowa needs him on the floor to be able to play adequate defense to win games right now.

Iowa was most effective against SDSU and UM with Tousaint on the floor.

JBO isn't good for much right now besides shooting open 3s and hes not getting open.

Having him out there for 30 minutes is too much. The exception being against a zone team where he can actually get shots.

I am certain JBo will shut it down after the ISU game. With that understanding, CJF is going to need to be in double digits for certain. Weezie also. Garza for sure. We will need one more. Kriener? Connor? Pemsl? Without Patrick, JBo and Nunge we are getting perilously thin. No more room for injury.

Reactions: crstuff
ADVERTISEMENT