ADVERTISEMENT

Why Woods in the lineup matters

This is actually a strong point I would have made as well but of course would be even less well received if I did.

Those of you who take Iowa wrestling seriously will agree.

The program really needed some more diversity. With the things RBY and Gomez have said this past season, it was a bad look for the program. Black athletes are excelling in the sport and we want them wrestling here.

Lol we have 6 minorities on the current roster and at least 3 more committed before today. Nobody ever thought Iowa was a racist program even with the stuff mentioned by these guys. Ridiculous.

The program really needed some more diversity. With the things RBY and Gomez have said this past season, it was a bad look for the program. Black athletes are excelling in the sport and we want them wrestling here.
Iowa wants all good wrestlers regardless of skin color. Joe Williams says hi, Montel Marion says hi, Jeremiah Moody and Charles Mathews say hi. Real woods, and future Iowa star Gabe Arnold say hi.

The narrative that Iowa isn’t or doesn’t recruit minorities is asinine and needs to be put to bed.

If any fan says otherwise they can go to hell. If a fan says something inappropriate then they should be called out and banned for life. Those people are awful individuals and need to reconsider their priorities. Enough said, I believe.

Iowa wants all good wrestlers regardless of skin color. Joe Williams says hi, Montel Marion says hi, Jeremiah Moody and Charles Mathews say hi. Real woods, and future Iowa star Gabe Arnold say hi.

The narrative that Iowa isn’t or doesn’t recruit minorities is asinine and needs to be put to bed.

If any fan says otherwise they can go to hell. If a fan says something inappropriate then they should be called out and banned for life. Those people are awful individuals and need to reconsider their priorities. Enough said, I believe.
You just named 5 wrestlers in 30 years. I never once said it was a racist program and I'd push back against anyone who said it was. Just saying we had an optics problem and I think this will certainly help.

You just named 5 wrestlers in 30 years. I never once said it was a racist program and I'd push back against anyone who said it was. Just saying we had an optics problem and I think this will certainly help.

I’ve never heard anyone say we have a problem. Where did you hear this? Also…

Lol we have 6 minorities on the current roster and at least 3 more committed before today. Nobody ever thought Iowa was a racist program even with the stuff mentioned by these guys. Ridiculous.

I'm assuming an all American in the lineup trumps diversity. I'm a psu fan and I don't care about diversity , I want uniformity, as in 10 national championship wrestlers every year.
That's the goal, best man wrestles and hopefully wins.

Silly me. I opened the thread expecting to read an analysis by the OP on why the addition of Woods "matters" b/c it gives Iowa another much-needed returning All-American (just the team's fourth) at a weight where many of the strongest wrestlers will be graduating.

Silly me. I opened the thread expecting to read an analysis by the OP on why the addition of Woods "matters" b/c it gives Iowa another much-needed returning All-American (just the team's fourth) at a weight where many of the strongest wrestlers will be graduating.
It’s a shame these people lead such hollow lives. It’s beyond cringeworthy.

A truly moronic thread.

Iowa didn't need anything in this area, because there is no problem, let alone a perception of a problem by any reasonable fan. And I don't care what the unreasonable ones think.

Me too! And all we got was a steaming pile of dung.

Reactions: Grip220
Agreed. It wouldn’t hurt iowa to get a little more diverse honestly. It’s all sports. Basically iowa and Wisconsin you know are rolling out a bunch of white boys lol.

I think you guys are misreading the OP's intent. I do not think TnT have a racist bone in their bodies, but people who see racism - see it everywhere and they spout about it. I for one never even thought about Real Woods skin color when I heard he was coming to the Hawks, but I do not fixate on the color of a person's skin.

Wasn't it just last year that seniors in high school were being accused of racism after winning their 3rd state title, simple because they held up 3 fingers? No one with an ounce of intelligence or rationality would assume it was a racist statement, but still people complained about it.

Unfortunately there are many people out there who see racism in everything and a lack of black wresters starting on the Iowa team would jump out at them. Even more sadly, there are many people who will tell kids that it "proves" how racist a team is because they do not have any black starters. These "racist warriors" do not care. You can be a racist and be married to a black person - it does not matter. Everything you say and do is racist. They find reasons to promote racism and virtue signal to others. Kids hear this and some of them believe it.

It is the world we live in - so I agree that Woods brings a lot to the table for the Hawks. Besides being a title threat, classy person, excellent roll model - he can temporarily shut the "race warriors" up!! They can go somewhere else and virtue signal for a while.

Reactions: Sandor45
I think you guys are misreading the OP's intent. I do not think TnT have a racist bone in their bodies, but people who see racism - see it everywhere and they spout about it. I for one never even thought about Real Woods skin color when I heard he was coming to the Hawks, but I do not fixate on the color of a person's skin.

Wasn't it just last year that seniors in high school were being accused of racism after winning their 3rd state title, simple because they held up 3 fingers? No one with an ounce of intelligence or rationality would assume it was a racist statement, but still people complained about it.

Unfortunately there are many people out there who see racism in everything and a lack of black wresters starting on the Iowa team would jump out at them. Even more sadly, there are many people who will tell kids that it "proves" how racist a team is because they do not have any black starters. These "racist warriors" do not care. You can be a racist and be married to a black person - it does not matter. Everything you say and do is racist. They find reasons to promote racism and virtue signal to others. Kids hear this and some of them believe it.

It is the world we live in - so I agree that Woods brings a lot to the table for the Hawks. Besides being a title threat, classy person, excellent roll model - he can temporarily shut the "race warriors" up!! They can go somewhere else and virtue signal for a while.

I don’t think anyone is misinterpreting anything.

Who are these anti-Iowa wrestling race warriors you’re referring to? The only people I’ve seen be critical are the garden variety internet trolls who no one takes seriously. I haven’t observed an industry wide racist perception of Iowa even after these comments.

Again, Iowa’s roster is hardly lily white and there are a number of current Iowa commits who are people of color.

This thread is one big virtue signal, if not just a troll.

vlao4.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
I don’t think anyone is misinterpreting anything.

Who are these anti-Iowa wrestling race warriors you’re referring to? The only people I’ve seen be critical are the garden variety internet trolls who no one takes seriously. I haven’t observed an industry wide racist perception of Iowa even after these comments.

Again, Iowa’s roster is hardly lily white and there are a number of current Iowa commits who are people of color.

This thread is one big virtue signal, if not just a troll.
I was not saying there are Anti Iowa race warriors. I am saying there are "race warriors" in general who will point to Iowa or anything else they can think of and call it/them racist. Look, I am as sick of it as the next sane person, but those types are out there and they show themselves in full bloom every election.

Unfortunately for us, many of them work in education and have access to the minds of kids. If you do not think the lady and people who posted complaints about kids winning their 3rd state title are talking to anyone who will listen, then you are going to get blindsided by the silliness and destructiveness of the race warriors.

The Hawks do not need someone with an excuse to call them a racist team and this takes much of the excuse away. Like I said, I do not think there is a racist bone or thought in the minds or bodies of TnT and for that matter the vast majority of Iowa fans or the vast majority of people in America. The fanatics out there could care less about the truth. They have a need to virtue signal and justify their beliefs, and they will try to paint anyone and everyone as racist, if they have an opportunity.

I was not saying there are Anti Iowa race warriors. I am saying there are "race warriors" in general who will point to Iowa or anything else they can think of and call it/them racist. Look, I am as sick of it as the next sane person, but those types are out there and they show themselves in full bloom every election.

Unfortunately for us, many of them work in education and have access to the minds of kids. If you do not think the lady and people who posted complaints about kids winning their 3rd state title are talking to anyone who will listen, then you are going to get blindsided by the silliness and destructiveness of the race warriors.

The Hawks do not need someone with an excuse to call them a racist team and this takes much of the excuse away. Like I said, I do not think there is a racist bone or thought in the minds or bodies of TnT and for that matter the vast majority of Iowa fans or the vast majority of people in America. The fanatics out there could care less about the truth. They have a need to virtue signal and justify their beliefs, and they will try to paint anyone and everyone as racist, if they have an opportunity.

You and I rarely agree but I normally find your opinions to be well thought out so I appreciate your posts on this subject. I just don't think there's a problem that needed fixing here.

You and I rarely agree but I normally find your opinions to be well thought out so I appreciate your posts on this subject. I just don't think there's a problem that needed fixing here.
Man! I am not being very clear. I also do NOT think there is a problem that needs fixing. I am saying that there are a bunch of wackos out there that will do anything to make it look like a problem and bad mouth the Hawks or anyone else they can. Having Real Woods in the line up will help deter them from attacking the Hawks. Maybe they have not been vocal about the Hawks and maybe they never will be, but then again - they are not reasonable people and somewhat wacko IMHO.

Jus too show how out of touch I am - I never knew we rarely agreed with each other, but if these posts are any indication of my communication skills, then I can see why. :)

And yet you have not named an instance of racism in the Iowa wrestling program.

I think Military service should be mandatory. It will prevent idiotic diatribes like this one. I never cared the color or preferences of any man on my flank as long as he would charge the machine gun when we all did. Anyone who has taken hostile fire will agree. There are no atheist or racists in foxholes. Purest brotherly love and not often found in civilian world.
Anyone on a truly competitive team thinks the same... They want to live/win at all costs and sacrifice to do it. Everything else is just noise by latte sipping bisexuals looking to gain control.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT