ADVERTISEMENT

Why would B10 cancel if they did not know what other conferences are doing?

Feb 25, 2008
The lack of solidarity is the biggest thing I am questioning right now, as far as the decision to "postpone" goes......

Why would Kevin Warren/Big Ten choose to stop Fall football if they were not certain other conferences were going to do the same?

Did Warren/B10 really think if they canceled, then that would force the other conferences to have to begrudgingly follow suit?

And I only ask that because if it were the other reason, of them just doing what they felt was best for the Big Ten and the Big Ten alone, then they're gonna realize (if they haven't already based on the backlash) how big of a mistake it was to try to "lead by example" and be the first to say 'No Fall football'.

The lack of solidarity is the biggest thing I am questioning right now, as far as the decision to "postpone" goes......

Why would Kevin Warren/Big Ten choose to stop Fall football if they were not certain other conferences were going to do the same?

Did Warren/B10 really think if they canceled, then that would force the other conferences to have to begrudgingly follow suit?

And I only ask that because if it were the other reason, of them just doing what they felt was best for the Big Ten and the Big Ten alone, then they're gonna realize (if they haven't already based on the backlash) how big of a mistake it was to try to "lead by example" and be the first to say 'No Fall football'.
STUPIDITY! warren has his own agenda

I sort of wonder if the Big 10 did this assuming the other P5s were going to do so as well. I sort of figured all 5 would work in lock-step with one-another. Now that 3 of the other 5 are saying they're going to attempt a fall season, is there any chance the Big and Pac-12 could change their mind about postponing?

I sort of wonder if the Big 10 did this assuming the other P5s were going to do so as well. I sort of figured all 5 would work in lock-step with one-another. Now that 3 of the other 5 are saying they're going to attempt a fall season, is there any chance the Big and Pac-12 could change their mind about postponing?

I think they have to.

Its legal calculation by the university presidents. Warren nor the BIG had a say ultimately. It was weighed as risks to playing vs risks shutting down. Other conferences are willing to gamble. For now.. We'll see who is right soon enough. Schools will be restarting soon, college too. There will likely be another wave shortly thereafter.

If as others posted, we've burned it out already the proof will be in the pudding. We will know by Oct which way this goes.

Making the decision this early was the big mistake,.. They should have sat tight for bit...
Not according to all the posters who kept saying "I don't see how they play this Fall" and "I'm surprised they haven't canceled already"............

But those people are back on hiatus now.

Reactions: haw-key
Agreed. Why not keep practicing for 2 or 3 more weeks and then reevaluate? As we saw from the B1G and NCAA Tournaments you can always cancel in a heartbeat.

and they got absolutely ripped to shreds for doing it so late.

Too arrogant to actually reverse their decision, but a guarantee they are thinking about have this should have been done differently.

I'm pissed and hope the other conferences have success with Fall football and these idiots in the B1G are embarrassed

Now that 3 of the other 5 are saying they're going to attempt a fall season, is there any chance the Big and Pac-12 could change their mind about postponing?

Here's a crazy notion. Maybe the Big Ten figured they'd just do the right thing, whether others do or not.

If five people are on top of the Empire State Building trying to decide whether to jump, are the first two who say they aren't going to jump proven wrong if the other three do? LOL

To make it simpler for those who can't handle the analogy above, it's like this: Doing the right thing is always the right thing. And it doesn't matter how many people do the wrong thing. It's still wrong. See how that works?

Here's a crazy notion. Maybe the Big Ten figured they'd just do the right thing, whether others do or not.

If five people are on top of the Empire State Building trying to decide whether to jump, are the first two who say they aren't going to jump proven wrong if the other three do? LOL

To make it simpler for those who can't handle the analogy above, it's like this: Doing the right thing is always the right thing. And it doesn't matter how many people do the wrong thing. It's still wrong. See how that works?
Since we know the flu kills more working age people than covid is it safe to assume the flu becomes the next line in the sand? Particularly those of school age.

If there is 50 million dollars in gold at the bottom and your chances of surviving the fall at your age are greater than 99%........ yes.

Because they make their decisions independent of the other conferences.

It’s the old line my mom would tell me “if everyone else were jumping off of a bridge would you?”

In this case it’s “if everyone else were playing an amateur football season during a pandemic would you?”

the big ten didn’t need to know what the other conferences were doing, they made their own decision.

the big ten may very well still end up being right since we don’t even know if the acc, big xii and sec will successfully complete their seasons- professional baseball is having challenges keeping well paid athletes following the rules, I imagine colleges will have a much harder time with unpaid 18-22 year olds.

If playing football were certain death, your analogy would be appropriate.

Reactions: desihawk
This is exactly my thought as well. B1G thought they were the leaders and turns out they're dumb asses.

When he became commissioner, he cancelled the basketball tournament and that led to the cancellation of the NCAA tournament. He probably thought his actions would do the same in football. He apparently doesn't know how important football revenue is to other sports or he doesn't care.

Because they make their decisions independent of the other conferences.

It’s the old line my mom would tell me “if everyone else were jumping off of a bridge would you?”

In this case it’s “if everyone else were playing an amateur football season during a pandemic would you?”

the big ten didn’t need to know what the other conferences were doing, they made their own decision.

the big ten may very well still end up being right since we don’t even know if the acc, big xii and sec will successfully complete their seasons- professional baseball is having challenges keeping well paid athletes following the rules, I imagine colleges will have a much harder time with unpaid 18-22 year olds.
The Big Ten will only be right if everyone else postpones as well. There is no point in doing a shortened 8/9-game season in the spring just to determine the Big Ten champion.

Yep, arrogance, and poor leadership. Now, the conference looks pretty stupid, and this could have big long term effects if other conferences make it through a season.
I wish they would have waited as well, but it really remains to be seen if they end up looking stupid or if they were simply ahead of the curve as usual. If the leagues are forced to shut down after a game or two or there are any serious situations that arise, this book will look completely different in a few weeks. Maybe as posters we should be tempering our responses until this plays out, just like people think the leadership jumped the gun, maybe so are those being critical. Time will tell.....

This is exactly my thought as well. B1G thought they were the leaders and turns out they're dumb asses.
Again, this book has not yet been written. we'll see how the next month or two plays out and we might have that answer....

The Big Ten will only be right if everyone else postpones as well. There is no point in doing a shortened 8/9-game season in the spring just to determine the Big Ten champion.

IMO they could still be proven right if one or multiple of the SEC/big XII/ ACC are unable to finish their season due to outbreaks

The spring could still have a traditional goal of a big ten and pac12 champ playing each other. There would still be plenty to play for in the spring

Reactions: not_mantiteo

The Big 10 said they were going conference only games in early July and didn't tell anybody. Just blindsided other conferences to be honest. Now they said they were postponing the season, why would they start telling people now?

If you want to know my opinion, I think they thought everybody would just follow along because that's what they were doing.

I was under the impression that all 5 would cancel. This will not be good when it comes time for B1G tv contracts. I’m still thinking that all but a half dozen schools cancel but if they don’t, this is going to have long lasting ramifications for the B1G and PAC12

fwiw I still think the B1G made the right move

Reactions: BettDogs7
If Warren changes his mind and a fall season is played? He looks weak.

If Warren changes his mind and a fall season is canceled a 2nd time? He looks weak.

If he does not change his mind & the 3 other conferences play a fall season? He looks weak.

Like most of you, I think Warren rushed the decision. You could postpone until Sep 26, if needed, which is 44 days from now. Give yourself and the rest of the P5 more time to figure it out.

I normally can't stand "not so fine" Finebaum. However, in this interview, I think he is right.

"There was no reason to shut down yesterday."

Watch:

Last edited:
Yep, arrogance, and poor leadership. Now, the conference looks pretty stupid, and this could have big long term effects if other conferences make it through a season.
Or they look like competent leaders when the other conferences realize the mess they helped to create. Time will tell.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT