ADVERTISEMENT

Why would he come back?

drh1150

HR MVP
Jan 11, 2003
Luka.
I suppose that he is told he wouldn't be drafted. But how would another year improve his game?
How would he improve on a possible National POY season and a B10 lock for POY? If this year doesn't get him NBA attention maybe it isn't meant to be.

His return could set up a memorable campaign for the team but hard to imagine a better one for him.

As well as he is playing I think the chances of him going are stronger and stronger.

That said, he could come back and improve his athleticism....he has a great motor right now and has added muscle etc.....but he is not in that elite NBA body mold. He could come back and spend the off season improving his conditioning and continuing to refine his already great skill set.

Same thing for Joe W.....he could add some muscle/strength and even get his conditioning up another notch. He could be more aggressive, confident, and a better shooter....

At this point I think it's a big if...BUT if they both did that and returned,,,WOW, next years the expectations would be sky high.

Luka.
I suppose that he is told he wouldn't be drafted. But how would another year improve his game?
How would he improve on a possible National POY season and a B10 lock for POY? If this year doesn't get him NBA attention maybe it isn't meant to be.

His return could set up a memorable campaign for the team but hard to imagine a better one for him.
Your 2nd sentence. I have no clue what he is/will be told but that would do it.

I'm more worried about a grad transfer. Go to a blue blood and compete for a natty. He's have a historic year yet his team is a middle pack B1G team. That has to be frustrating.

I'm more worried about a grad transfer. Go to a blue blood and compete for a natty. He's have a historic year yet his team is a middle pack B1G team. That has to be frustrating.
Will Garza graduate by the end of the year? He has only been in school 3 years.

Anyway, I really have the sense he really enjoys Iowa basketball and knows another great year would pave his way to go very high in NBA draft. Plus. I think he would like to be part of The Hawkeyes and make a run for a national championship.

Of course, this could all be wishful thinking on my part.

It's a foregone conclusion he's gonna win every big man award this year. So yes he will get the attention, but competition for big this season isnt that great. So, he may get drafted just because of a numbers game. Hes not the typical NBA big now. 20 years ago he would be a lottery pick. Now, you never know how the teams will look at him. Is he too slow, is his upside not that big, can he defend athletic bigs?

In all reality I think he puts his name in and sees how the NBA feels, but if he isnt a first rounder hes probably gonna come back. Next years team could be very special if he and Weiskamp return. They add 7 players. Upgrade athleticism and add experience as well. If they all return they have a legit top 10 team.

Weiskamp ain’t going anywhere. And that’s not by his choice.

He’ll be here for 4 years & I doubt he ever plays in the league. He’s just a half of a step too slow for the league.

But I never thought I’d see the day when Cook logged a minute in the league, so who knows.

Last edited:
Maybe it’s not about improving. Maybe he knows Iowa would be better next year than their best this year and wants to be a part of it.

It's a foregone conclusion he's gonna win every big man award this year. So yes he will get the attention, but competition for big this season isnt that great. So, he may get drafted just because of a numbers game. Hes not the typical NBA big now. 20 years ago he would be a lottery pick. Now, you never know how the teams will look at him. Is he too slow, is his upside not that big, can he defend athletic bigs?

In all reality I think he puts his name in and sees how the NBA feels, but if he isnt a first rounder hes probably gonna come back. Next years team could be very special if he and Weiskamp return. They add 7 players. Upgrade athleticism and add experience as well. If they all return they have a legit top 10 team.
Holy crap, there's no way he'd be a 1st rounder. Both he and Wieskamp are most certainly playing for Iowa next year.

Normal I would say, “he gone.” In this case you have to consider Frank. He has extremely important in Luka’s success and decision making. Both have said there intention has been to be at Iowa 4 years. Now money makes people do strange things, so maybe he will go. I just think that it is not the same situation as say, Epenesa or Wirfs.

Why not?? European money will always be there. If he’s not nba bound getting a degree and having fun being a college student is an easy choice if it’s just Europe.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Luka.

I think Iowa will be good next year regardless if Luka comes back but obviously we have a chance to be elite with him. I'm more worried about the depth at center. Ogundele won't be much of a factor for another 2-3 years. He might play, but we need someone who can impact the game at that position and he won't be ready next year.

I love Luka.... but he’s not built for today’s nba. Imagine him trying to Guard a pick n roll in today’s nba. And overseas will always be there.

plus he’s gotta know next years team will be stacked if everyone comes back. He truly looks like he’s having fun too.

His dad already said they were not going to seek an evaluation from the NBA. Maybe that will change if things go down hill from here, but we'll see...

Will Garza graduate by the end of the year? He has only been in school 3 years.

Anyway, I really have the sense he really enjoys Iowa basketball and knows another great year would pave his way to go very high in NBA draft. Plus. I think he would like to be part of The Hawkeyes and make a run for a national championship.

Of course, this could all be wishful thinking on my part.
Unfortunately, we can't put too much stock into hoping he returns to help Iowa win a national championship, if you look at the opportunities Iowa football has had with guys who had the option to return for another year, which would've just about completed our roster, instead of leaving multiple vacancies to be filled with "projects" and "up-and-comers"......................

Without Luka we’d be in big trouble next year.
Maybe we could find a grad transfer, but in spite of having a full squad of compliments for him if he’s not here it makes no difference IMO.

If he has thoughts of making it in the NBA, giving it a shot after this season might be his best option. He's not going to get any faster/quicker or jump any higher.
It's hard to see a spot for him in today's NBA, but one more year at Iowa is unlikely to improve his chances in any event.

Holy crap, there's no way he'd be a 1st rounder. Both he and Wieskamp are most certainly playing for Iowa next year.
Totally agree ......i don't believe either one would leave school at this point just to end up over sea's.

Just a guy feeling, but I think he comes back. He seems like an old school type who wants to finish what he's started. He has an opportunity to go down as one of the best all-time big men in Big Ten history; how many guys have won poy twice? The list can't be long.

If Jordan comes back, and even if he would transfer, Iowa is going to have a pretty damn good line-up next year with everyone back minus Kreiner and Evelyn while adding much needed athleticism in this recruiting class.

Plus, Frank is a celebrity here. Lol. That guy was shaking hands and taking pics at Old Chicago last Saturday. That guy loves Hawkeye nation.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I previously said Luka was too slow and wouldn't get drafted, but I now think I was probably wrong. Luka has exceeded what I ever thought he could be on both ends. He won't be a high pick, but I would be surprised if he weren't drafted. His movement has improved, and he has a sweet outside game for a guy with size.

I don't know much, but I still think Luka will come back. He seems to love playing college BB and the team seems really tight. Assuming CJ can't make it back and the season sinks fast, there is going to be a LOT of unfinished business. I think Luka will want to be a part of that. His dad also loves watching Luka play college BB, where he is "the big man."

Some guys like college and rather stay for senior year than chase $ in Europe. Like Ethan Happ last year. Luka loves Iowa and the college game and with his family well off financially that isn’t a worry for him to leave a year of eligibility on the table to go pro and not get drafted just to get paid. He can stay and have one more great year of college ball. Plus he seems like a guy with team returning next season who would relish the chance to come back for a chance to do some damage in the tourney and on top of it one of the top players in the nation.

From reading article on his dad last month sounds like him coming back next year seems very probable. Plus I don’t think Garza was a guy coming in whose main goal was to leave early like Cook who probably thought he’d be gone within his first 2 let alone 3. Cook had mentality wanted to chase nba and get paid professionally and why he left. Nothing wrong with it but in my opinion totally different thought process between him and luka.

A few thoughts...he is only 21 (turned it in December) so it is not like age is a huge issue. Last I knew he was on schedule to graduate this Spring, and while a grad transfer seems odd, crazier things have happened.

And it is not an "NBA or Euroleague" case...he would be a great candidate for the G League as teams will be aware of his work ethic and are confident he will do what is needed to get better. That allows him to concentrate 100% on basketball year round.

The biggest issue is what advise is he being given? One common refrain underclassmen are being told is, "I can't guarantee you that you will make the NBA if you come out, but I can guarantee you won't make it if you don't come out."

Why would he come back? To be Iowa's all time scoring leader, to take one of the most talented/deep teams we've had in YEARS to the 2nd weekend and beyond in the NCAA tourney? He could easily go as well, I really think this is a close knit group and they want to do something big/special together.

He's not even good enough to make ESPN's 'best big man in the country Twitter poll' so how could he possibly be good enough to play beyond college? He's just OK.

:rolleyes:

No.

It only takes one team to really like you, but Luka would be a 2nd Round pick at best. I'd be surprised if he left. His situation is no way comparable to Eppy or Wirf's.
Agree.

There is no comparison between his situation and Wirfs and Eppy. Those two are virtual locks for 1st round, most likely mid to upper range.

Luka is a maybe 2nd rounder.

The question I have is what would Luka gain, from a draft potential perspective, that would make him a more likely pick if he comes back for another year.

As well as he is playing I think the chances of him going are stronger and stronger.

That said, he could come back and improve his athleticism....he has a great motor right now and has added muscle etc.....but he is not in that elite NBA body mold. He could come back and spend the off season improving his conditioning and continuing to refine his already great skill set.

Same thing for Joe W.....he could add some muscle/strength and even get his conditioning up another notch. He could be more aggressive, confident, and a better shooter....

At this point I think it's a big if...BUT if they both did that and returned,,,WOW, next years the expectations would be sky high.

Yes, Luka could go pro. But his major money would be in Europe, at this point... Not the NBA. No guaranteed contract is waiting for him next year.

If he could improve his athleticism, by increasing his vertical leap by just a couple of inches, that would be huge. He is on the verge of being able to easily dunk - a necessity at the NBA level. Can another year of training gain him this? Prossibly!

That stated, if he would move from a 2nd rounder to a money guaranteed 1st rounder. Is that Worth the wait...? IMHO, absolutely.

Now, Luka is a smart man. He'll be successful no matter what he does. His father Frank has ingrained that in his personality.... Is Luka wanting to throw away the college life and stardom, that he will live with for the rest of his life, for a few bucks? I would guess not.

LG has the chance to be in the pages of Iowa & NCAA history. One more year like this would accomplish that. I cannot see him throwing that away

My two cents

He Gone. Either overseas to make some money and hone his craft for future shot at NBA, or straight to NBA. But do tend to agree, from an individual standpoint, he is riding high right now and should strike while the iron is hot.
Care to wager on that?

Reactions: buchs
Luka.

Let’s make sure to beat this topic to death. Here is what I can share with you. He may return or, he may not. Hopefully, he returns. If not, best of luck to Luka. He is the model for what can come from hard work. However, the NBA is a whole different world.

Reactions: anon_qczsdwtnv6esw

If he’s not going to be drafted, why wouldn’t he?

Unfortunately, we can't put too much stock into hoping he returns to help Iowa win a national championship, if you look at the opportunities Iowa football has had with guys who had the option to return for another year, which would've just about completed our roster, instead of leaving multiple vacancies to be filled with "projects" and "up-and-comers"......................

Apples to oranges with the different sports though.

Allot easier to get drafted in football and you only have a small window there.

Garza isn't likely to play in the nba but he could play 20 years in Europe if he wanted to so one more year there doesn't change much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT