ADVERTISEMENT

Why would Luka go pro if the pandemic threatens to...

soybean

HR King
Sep 30, 2001
...wipe out the NCAA season? Doesn't such an event also logically mean the NBA would lose it's season too in spite of this soon to be doomed to failure "bubble" experiment?

The virus is going to do what viruses do... be it for the NCAA or the NBA.

...wipe out the NCAA season? Doesn't such an event also logically mean the NBA would lose it's season too in spite of this soon to be doomed to failure "bubble" experiment?

The bubble is not soon to be doomed & FU for saying so. Blasphemy saying it on the day we restart the season, though I assume you don't care about the NBA.

The bubble is not soon to be doomed & FU for saying so. Blasphemy saying it on the day we restart the season, though I assume you don't care about the NBA.

I think the NBA is making a valiant attempt to salvage the season and thus their financial viability as a going concern...but I must conclude the virus will assert itself anyway. Hope is not science.

Reactions: BBHawk
I think the NBA is making a valiant attempt to salvage the season and thus their financial viability as a going concern...but I must conclude the virus will assert itself anyway. Hope is not science.

Well I hope to come back to this thread on October 13th with a big smile on my face.

I think that the easy answer is: If the NCAA season is wiped out, players will not be granted an extra year of eligibility. If there is not going to be an NCAA season, there is zero reason for him to not pursue a pro career now. Either NBA or make money overseas.

I think that the easy answer is: If the NCAA season is wiped out, players will not be granted an extra year of eligibility. If there is not going to be an NCAA season, there is zero reason for him to not pursue a pro career now. Either NBA or make money overseas.
If there is no season, no reason for Luka to leave. Get his degree and enjoy life such as it is as a student, then get out there next year with degree in hand.

But the issue is...if there is no NCAA basketball season, what are the chances of a NBA one?

In addition the NBA seems like somewhat of a long shot for Luka and overseas seems a certainty. What countries are allowing Americans in right now? I would think the potential of not having an overseas country to go to would also lead to the thought of staying and not needlessly missing a year of play.

Luka studied in the room right outside my son's dorm room his freshman year, they became friendly. Luka is a very serious student so the chance to finish his degree also must be a large factor in the equation.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
If there is no season, no reason for Luka to leave. Get his degree and enjoy life such as it is as a student, then get out there next year with degree in hand.

School will always be there. If no season, he should focus 100% on basketball training and making himself as competitive as possible for the NBA draft or making $$$ in Europe. His "immediate" future is playing basketball professionally somewhere and if he can't get court time as a member of the Iowa Hawkeyes, he should do it elsewhere.

And, yes, as a long time Iowa basketball fan, it kills me to type that. This year had so much potential.

Reactions: Ronman
He’s already turned down playing overseas. It’s college or NBA for the 20-21 season.

If the season starts then comes to an abrupt end couldn't he leave to play in Europe part of a season and come back home for next seasons draft?

I would love for Garza to come back more than anyone, but I'm fairly confident that he's gone. If we knew their was going to be a college basketball season, he'd very likely be coming back, but at this point, I think there's almost zero chance of a season. It makes much more sense for him to get into the draft. Even if he's a late second round pick or a UDFA, it will allow him to get on some NBA team's radars and get into camp somewhere.

The NBA will almost assuredly have some kind of season next year with how effective their bubble has been so far. You'll likely see way more roster spots and maybe even some "replacement player squads" or "practice squads" so there'll be even more chances for him to get himself in front of NBA GMs and scouts.

But the issue is...if there is no NCAA basketball season, what are the chances of a NBA one?

The chances are significantly higher than for the NCAA. The NBA has already dropped hints that they have at least considered doing all or part of next season similar to how they are finishing this one. Now, it may fall apart at some point, but for now, it seems to be working.

The NCAA has little chance to try a bubble-esque method, and any sport trying to allow traveling to opposing arenas/stadiums has a pretty high chance of failure. That's why I think college football and the NFL are both likely to start and unlikely to finish.

Bubble life ...

dm_200630_Animated_NBA_bubble_video.jpg

He’s already turned down playing overseas. It’s college or NBA for the 20-21 season.

Living in a pandemic makes all decisions temporary, in my estimation. Everything could change in a month or less.

And frankly, I don't see how quarantining 30 NBA teams in a bubble for an entire season is a viable option.

Reactions: hawkcub
I think he should announce he is staying, then if the NCAA cancels CB for 20/21 he should sue for the right to be included in the draft.

If the cancel college BB after the draft, he can go to Euro or Australia an make some dough.

China is giddy with joy. I could have be planned— it is a commie country that is over populated and they hate Trump and live traitor democrats

Hoping for a vaccine in use by February.

Soon to be doomed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT