ADVERTISEMENT

Wi-Fi Frustration

about $100 difference in cost, but I think it'd be worth it to just get the 6+. I've got WAY TOO many IoT devices, plus 2 phones, 3 iPads, 3 Roku devices, 3 PCs, Doorbell Cam, Security Cam, etc. etc.
You talking Wifi6 vs Wifi6E?

Main advantage is the 6 GHz band; if you do not have devices that can use this band, then the differences may be marginal at this point.

6E and 7 both support the 6GHz band, but Wifi7 will probably be a significant jump in capability.

You talking Wifi6 vs Wifi6E?

Main advantage is the 6 GHz band; if you do not have devices that can use this band, then the differences may be marginal at this point.

6E and 7 both support the 6GHz band, but Wifi7 will probably be a significant jump in capability.
No, the standard Eero 6 vs the 6+. The advantage to Pro is it's triband vs dual band. Since I'm plugging all of the extenders in via ethernet, I don't need the triband. ...at least that's the way I understand it.

It's all about the different models, not Wi-Fi 6 itself.

No, the standard Eero 6 vs the 6+. The advantage to Pro is it's triband vs dual band. Since I'm plugging all of the extenders in via ethernet, I don't need the triband.
So, you ARE able to "backbone" each of the units?

Then I doubt you'd see much difference, if your ethernet is 1GB or better.
If both Eero models are Wifi6 only, backboning your extra units is a far bigger gain; I think the 6+ is more designed around linking them remotely.

I just researched some of this stuff for a relative, who could not use older ethernet backbone because it is the old/slower cabling. So long as you have >2002 era ethernet installed (I think it's the Ethernet 6 type), you're at 1GB or better. Older stuff is 100 MB/s, which is slower than most routers today.

If you backbone those units over ethernet, then I doubt there is much benefit for the 6+; would get a router nerd to weigh in here, as I did not delve into those specific models - I was referring to the wifi standards.

So, you ARE able to "backbone" each of the units?

Then I doubt you'd see much difference, if your ethernet is 1GB or better.
If both Eero models are Wifi6 only, backboning your extra units is a far bigger gain; I think the 6+ is more designed around linking them remotely.

I just researched some of this stuff for a relative, who could not use older ethernet backbone because it is the old/slower cabling. So long as you have >2002 era ethernet installed (I think it's the Ethernet 6 type), you're at 1GB or better. Older stuff is 100 MB/s, which is slower than most routers today.

If you backbone those units over ethernet, then I doubt there is much benefit for the 6+; would get a router nerd to weigh in here, as I did not delve into those specific models - I was referring to the wifi standards.
Gotcha. Ya, since I made sure my ether ports to my current, outdates mesh system were activated when I first moved in. ...and yes, my entire house is cat 6. The 6 doesn't enable me to "backbone" all three, just the one, so I went with the 6+.

Reactions: Joes Place
Just installed the Eero 6+. Pretty seamless install, discovered a faulty ether cable in my office and had to go in and turn off the wi-fi on the AT&T ISP gateway, but once done it's much better!

Reactions: Joes Place
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT