ADVERTISEMENT

Wieskamp for 4 years is better than

These weren't mutually exclusive events.
What do you mean by that?

Weiskamp, a wing player, committed to Iowa more than 3 years ago. Carton, a PG, eliminated Iowa yesterday. If they were not mutually exclusive, how are they congruent?

I misstated. What I meant was the two events are not necessarily related.
We have no information indicating that Wieskamp being at Iowa has anything to do with Carton's decision. Fran could have had both, or neither, for any amount of their eligibility.
So, the import(or not) of missing on Carton is not directly to Wieskamp's situation.

I misstated. What I meant was the two events are not necessarily related.
We have no information indicating that Wieskamp being at Iowa has anything to do with Carton's decision. Fran could have had both, or neither, for any amount of their eligibility.
So, the import(or not) of missing on Carton is not directly to Wieskamp's situation.

Yes I'm not sure what the original poster's point was, other than to make everyone not feel so bad. Life is very rarely binary choices. I like Wieskamp a lot and I think he will be very good. The whole point of landing Carton as well is the more very good talent you have on the roster, the better chance you have to win.

I doubt Carton is a one and done. And since they don't play the position and the one we didn't get is huge need for us, not really sure what your point is.

I doubt Carton is a one and done. And since they don't play the position and the one we didn't get is huge need for us, not really sure what your point is.
I think his point is in 4 years we will be celebrating an incredible run of Hawkeye teams led by an All-time great Hawkeye. Consequently we will forget about the guy from Bett. Why not? Sounds good to me.

Reactions: Madman_1
For all practicle purposes Wieskamp wanted to be Hawkeye from day one, I get the feeling the coaching staff didn’t really need to win him over but more or less not blow a sure thing.. Obviously way diff story for DJ, he was looking for something else when it came down to it.. I can’t really say who’d I want more because I have no choice. Wieskamp is a Hawk so I’m pulling for him not to say DJ wouldn’t have been a great pick up! I’d be surprised if DJ is a one and done thou.

I agree that Wieskamp could potentially end up a better basketball player than Carton, but Carton is not a OaD, which increases his value even more.

If Carton signs with Ohio State or Indiana, I like Wieskamps chances of being better. If he goes to a great coach like Beilein, Carton could really be special.

Who knows, but JoeW might have as good a shot of leaving early as Carton. We needed both.

Joe won't leave early,.... His high school career has shown him to be a team player. Barring injury, he's a Hawkeye for four years....

I suspect you are correct, but can't much of the same be said about DJ?

No,... Weiskamp's high school basketball situation is beyond anything I've ever seen before. If anybody could be forgiven for dumping his team mates and moving on to a better situation it's Joe Weiskamp,.... He chose to stay and play ball with his guys even if he had to provide 95% of the offense....

Ill wait and see how Carton does in the High school season. I realize he is a top 20 player in the nation, but remember these AAU circuits there is zero defense played. Its a glorified open gym setting.

Weiskamp took a team of nobodies to the state tournament and battled the #1 seed in the first round. Weiskamp would of gotten the blue bloods after him if he didn't commit so early. Rumor has it Roy was planning on making a visit and they told him no. So who knows what Weiskamp would of been rated had he not committed so early.

I think both will be good, but its just confusing why he choose OSU. They just landed a top 100 PG in the 2018 class and will be there when Carton arrives. My personal gut feeling is Michigan.

What do you mean by that?

Weiskamp, a wing player, committed to Iowa more than 3 years ago. Carton, a PG, eliminated Iowa yesterday. If they were not mutually exclusive, how are they congruent?

Two events are mutually exclusive if they can't both occur. Like rolling both a 1 and in 2 in a single roll. "Congruent" has nothing to do with it, it's a statement about possibility, not the actual final outcome. Landing the two players mentioned was not mutually exclusive, as was correctly pointed out. The original post is like saying you'd rather have Kirk Ferentz as your football than have hired Brad Stevens as your basketball coach instead of Fran, it's moralizing for imbeciles.

He's a 5 star player. He is going to be
One and DONE !!
Make book on it

But I don't really care, since he's going to some other school.

GO HAWKS :) And have a NICE dayo_O
If I were a betting man and I knew you, I would take that bet for a lot of money. Carton is going to be a good player, but I don't think he is one of those players whose skills are going to wow NBA scouts, especially after just one year.

If he goes to Michigan, which seems like the most popular guess, I will be very surprised if he is the starting PG his first year. Playing in the back court with Simpson is possible, but Carton would be playing more of a SG role.

Reactions: the24fan
If I were a betting man and I knew you, I would take that bet for a lot of money. Carton is going to be a good player, but I don't think he is one of those players whose skills are going to wow NBA scouts, especially after just one year.

I agree with you on Carton's ability, but I think the 2020 NBA draft is going to include some guys that take chances and want to get into the league and show themselves before the 2021 Draft happens, as that is the year the age restriction is likely to be lifted and there will be even more talent than normal making themselves available that season.

That's why is it nice to have guys like Joe W who don't want to or can't handle playing on the big stage and are more comfortable flying under the radar.

I'm sure your sole point is to take a dig at Iowa, but saying Joe picked Iowa because he is afraid of the big stage is plain stupid.

No,... Weiskamp's high school basketball situation is beyond anything I've ever seen before. If anybody could be forgiven for dumping his team mates and moving on to a better situation it's Joe Weiskamp,.... He chose to stay and play ball with his guys even if he had to provide 95% of the offense....

I like the sentiment, but there was really no place for him to go unless his family moved. Yes, that does happen.

I think we are all going to love us some JoeW, but it will be interesting to see what he does when he doesn't have the ball in his hands 95% of the time. Defense, passing, rebounding, ball handling, loose balls, etc. I hope he doesn't read this board, because we're putting an awful lot of pressure on him.

Fran's offense...even though he was a PG himself, does not require one.

Now worries on getting an athletic PG on this end.

Fran's offense...even though he was a PG himself, does not require one.

Now worries on getting an athletic PG on this end.

But the 'fan base' thinks that's all the Hawkeye need.......
I agree with you...........Jordan B is darned good point guard, even if he's not drive and dish. He shoots it better than any other guard in the
Conference. GO HAWKS

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT