ADVERTISEMENT

Wieskamp...please be a stud!

wbrhawkeye

HR MVP
Jun 12, 2012
We have been hearing about this kid for 4-5 years now and he finally gets to put an Iowa uniform on this fall. I hope he is the same caliber of talent as Luke Recker and Adam Haluska were. We need a third scoring option and fantastic defender to get this team back on track. I hope Joe is a stud and lives up to all expectations and hype! Can't wait for the season.

what Joe really needs to be is that steady 5th man out there,
Baer was not a steady 5th player
Wagner was not a steady 5th player
Nunge was not a 3/SF.

to me these should be the top 3 in scoring
Cook led the team in scoring and rebounding
Bohannon 2nd in scoring and led the team in assists
Garza 3rd in scoring, 2nd in rebounding and led the team in blocked shots

that is the core of this upcoming season, hopefully Baer returns to his SO form. Wagner has gone on the play FB, Ellingson transferred to Drake.

what they get out of Joe will be gravy. where he can be a bigger help is on defense. this team has plenty of scoring options.

images

Not comparing. He will be in the mold of Iowa kids who made their mark on the Carver floor and in Hawk hearts. Settles, Gatens, Haluska, Streeter, etc.

Didn't mean to leave players out. Just named kids that came to kind, immediately.

Reactions: yiana
Should definitely help balance the team. The biggest problem with the players we have is that at least four of them would be best at the 4. Cook is going to get over half the minutes there, and most of us want to see Nunge and Baer still play. Baer is by far our best defender at the 4 (not so much at the 3), and I believe Nunge could have the best upside of the returning players. This even ignores Pemsl, who has even fewer skills to play anything but 4. Really looking forward to seeing Joe W play.

I think Baer loses minutes this season. Love the guy, love his story, like his game when he's on but just not skilled enough to take minutes from Nunge, Pemsl and Kreiner and he's not a 3.

Reactions: perryhawk
Very anxious to see how he contributes. Not sure if stud status is in the cards for this year, but think he will attain that before he leaves Carver for good.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
I think Baer loses minutes this season. Love the guy, love his story, like his game when he's on but just not skilled enough to take minutes from Nunge, Pemsl and Kreiner and he's not a 3.
Baer probably will lose some minutes, but I hope Pemsl loses a lot more. He just doesn't provide anything, except at 4, and we have better, more versatile options there. I like Kriener as the back up at center, along with Nunge for some match ups (NOT at 3). I hope that Joe W and Dailey are the primary 3s, with Baer for certain match ups.

Last edited:
Have you seen him play much? Looks tough to judge from the few videos I have seen. The guy got mugged repeated... That should help with driving threw traffic..
Saw him play at state tourney. Hate to say this but Joe did not have much help on his team. No outside shooting to open the floor for him. He was double teamed constantly. Sandwiched between a smaller guard backed into him and a bigger guy pushing him from behind then he would get triple teamed once he got the ball. He eventually took the ball outside and drove it to the basket against a couple of guys playing thru contact to score. Think he ended up with 25-30 pts? He was their best shooter, ball handler, driver, passer, rebounder, etc...

I will probably get killed here for saying this but he reminded me of a young (slightly smaller, not quite as good of shooter) Gordon Hayward of Butler now with Celtics

In spite of all the projections of minutes allocated next season I try to take into account the "changes" that are being made with defense and such. Players who are responding well to these could see more minutes IMO.

here were his results on the AAU and Camp circuit
Nike top 100 3rd best SF at their camp
NBPA top 100 top 10 at their camp.
Adidas final rankings in their top #8 out of all their summer AAU Games this competing against the best in the country that are now FR in College including most of the 5* players.

as for HS its true he was dbl teamed and on occasion was triple teamed. with no shot clock in Iowa he still managed to avg in the 30's and over 13 rpg.

to me I don't expect him to be the big scorer, but should/could avg 8 ppg, 3 rpg, 3 apg as there are 4 players that return that avg'd dbl digit scoring,

Reactions: SPECTRE
In spite of all the projections of minutes allocated next season I try to take into account the "changes" that are being made with defense and such. Players who are responding well to these SHOULD see more minutes IMO.

FIFY

Saw him play at state tourney. Hate to say this but Joe did not have much help on his team. No outside shooting to open the floor for him. He was double teamed constantly. Sandwiched between a smaller guard backed into him and a bigger guy pushing him from behind then he would get triple teamed once he got the ball. He eventually took the ball outside and drove it to the basket against a couple of guys playing thru contact to score. Think he ended up with 25-30 pts? He was their best shooter, ball handler, driver, passer, rebounder, etc...

I will probably get killed here for saying this but he reminded me of a young (slightly smaller, not quite as good of shooter) Gordon Hayward of Butler now with Celtics

Thats not a bad comparison by any means. Hayward is a better shooter and Joe seems a little more focused on attacking the basket but he will probably have to rely more on his shooting in college.

I came away extremely impressed with him from that game.

Ive never seen a team that imbalanced, there was no other shooting or ballhandling on that team. To compete with West was very impressive.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
The Rivals recruiting info goes back about 15 yrs

I think Joe is as skilled or more skilled than any the 4 stars guys listed below with the exception of Tyler Smith but TS had a lot of issues off the court, no issues w/JW that I am aware of. Adam Haluska transferred in, he was probably a little better athlete than Joe but Joe is a much more skilled Basketball player, higher Basketball IQ.

If you put JWs over/under for FR Year at 10 pts 3 reb 2 assists, I would take the over all day long.

I think coming in he is beyond Jok with the exception of Jok's streaky 3 pt shooting. Already beyond Moss and Dailey.

Co Yr Name S
FM 19 Patrick McCaffery 4
FM 18 C.J. Fredrick 3
FM 18 Joe Wieskamp 4
FM 17 Connor McCaffery 4

FM 17 Jack Nunge 3
FM 17 Luka Garza 4
FM 16 Cordell Pemsl 3
FM 16 Jordan Bohannon 3
FM 16 Maishe Dailey 3
FM 16 Ryan Kriener 3
FM 16 Tyler Cook 4
FM 15 Ahmad Wagner 3
FM 15 Andrew Fleming 3
FM 15 Brandon Hutton 3
FM 15 Christian Williams 3
FM 15 Dale Jones 3
FM 15 Isaiah Moss 3
FM 14 Brady Ellingson 3
FM 14 Dominique Uhl 3
FM 14 Trey Dickerson 3
FM 13 Peter Jok 3
FM 12 Adam Woodbury 4
FM 12 Anthony Clemmons 3
FM 12 Kyle Meyer 3
FM 12 Mike Gesell 4
FM 12 Patrick Ingram 3
FM 11 Aaron White 3
FM 11 Gabe Olaseni 3
FM 11 Josh Oglesby 3
FM 10 Bryce Cartwright 3
FM 10 Melsahn Basabe 3
TL/FM 10 Roy Marble Jr. 3
TL/FM 10 Zach McCabe 3
TL 09 Brennan Cougill 3
TL 09 Cully Payne 3
TL 09 Devon Archie 2
TL 09 Eric May 3
TL 08 Aaron Fuller 3
TL 08 Andrew Brommer 2
TL 08 Anthony Tucker 3
TL 08 Devan Bawinkel 3
TL 08 Jermain Davis 3
SA/TL 08 Matt Gatens 3
SA 07 Jake Kelly 3
SA 07 Jarryd Cole 3
SA 07 Jeff Peterson 3
SA 06 Cyrus Tate 3
SA 06 Jamie Vanderbeken 3
SA 06 Josh Crawford NR
SA 06 Justin Johnson 3
SA 06 Tyler Smith 4
SA 05 Kurt Looby 3
SA 05 Nathan Skinner 3
SA 05 Tony Freeman 3
SA 04 Adam Haluska 3
SA 04 Alex Thompson 3
SA 04 Carlton Reed 3
SA 04 Doug Thomas 3
SA 04 J.R. Angle 3
SA 04 Seth Gorney 3
SA 03 Ben Rand 3
SA 03 Erek Hansen 3
SA 03 Mike Henderson 3
SA 03 Nick DeWitz 3
SA 02 Greg Brunner 3
SA 02 Jeff Horner 3
SA 02 Josh Rhodes 3

Reactions: Hawksfor3
The Rivals recruiting info goes back about 15 yrs

I think Joe is as skilled or more skilled than any the 4 stars guys listed below with the exception of Tyler Smith but TS had a lot of issues off the court, no issues w/JW that I am aware of. Adam Haluska transferred in, he was probably a little better athlete than Joe but Joe is a much more skilled Basketball player, higher Basketball IQ.

If you put JWs over/under for FR Year at 10 pts 3 reb 2 assists, I would take the over all day long.

I think coming in he is beyond Jok with the exception of Jok's streaky 3 pt shooting. Already beyond Moss and Dailey.

Co Yr Name S
FM 19 Patrick McCaffery 4
FM 18 C.J. Fredrick 3
FM 18 Joe Wieskamp 4
FM 17 Connor McCaffery 4

FM 17 Jack Nunge 3
FM 17 Luka Garza 4
FM 16 Cordell Pemsl 3
FM 16 Jordan Bohannon 3
FM 16 Maishe Dailey 3
FM 16 Ryan Kriener 3
FM 16 Tyler Cook 4
FM 15 Ahmad Wagner 3
FM 15 Andrew Fleming 3
FM 15 Brandon Hutton 3
FM 15 Christian Williams 3
FM 15 Dale Jones 3
FM 15 Isaiah Moss 3
FM 14 Brady Ellingson 3
FM 14 Dominique Uhl 3
FM 14 Trey Dickerson 3
FM 13 Peter Jok 3
FM 12 Adam Woodbury 4
FM 12 Anthony Clemmons 3
FM 12 Kyle Meyer 3
FM 12 Mike Gesell 4
FM 12 Patrick Ingram 3
FM 11 Aaron White 3
FM 11 Gabe Olaseni 3
FM 11 Josh Oglesby 3
FM 10 Bryce Cartwright 3
FM 10 Melsahn Basabe 3
TL/FM 10 Roy Marble Jr. 3
TL/FM 10 Zach McCabe 3
TL 09 Brennan Cougill 3
TL 09 Cully Payne 3
TL 09 Devon Archie 2
TL 09 Eric May 3
TL 08 Aaron Fuller 3
TL 08 Andrew Brommer 2
TL 08 Anthony Tucker 3
TL 08 Devan Bawinkel 3
TL 08 Jermain Davis 3
SA/TL 08 Matt Gatens 3
SA 07 Jake Kelly 3
SA 07 Jarryd Cole 3
SA 07 Jeff Peterson 3
SA 06 Cyrus Tate 3
SA 06 Jamie Vanderbeken 3
SA 06 Josh Crawford NR
SA 06 Justin Johnson 3
SA 06 Tyler Smith 4
SA 05 Kurt Looby 3
SA 05 Nathan Skinner 3
SA 05 Tony Freeman 3
SA 04 Adam Haluska 3
SA 04 Alex Thompson 3
SA 04 Carlton Reed 3
SA 04 Doug Thomas 3
SA 04 J.R. Angle 3
SA 04 Seth Gorney 3
SA 03 Ben Rand 3
SA 03 Erek Hansen 3
SA 03 Mike Henderson 3
SA 03 Nick DeWitz 3
SA 02 Greg Brunner 3
SA 02 Jeff Horner 3
SA 02 Josh Rhodes 3

I've seen Wieskamp, Carton and Patrick M play quite a few times and Joe is a stud player. He'll get stronger, too, but he does everything really well. I think he is a perfect wing player for Iowa. He and Carton have both always impressed me a lot in that each of them could play and contribute for any Big Ten team. Carton is also a stud and both have very high basketball IQ. I think Patrick is over-rated. I think he will be decent at Iowa, but not a star. I think Wieskamp has star potential (as it all big ten at some point) and will be one of the Iowa greats.

Reactions: anon_bb9wlf9kj42py
Better not to build too many expectations for a true freshman. I do think he will make a difference.
Cautiously optimistic, that's where I'm at.

I wouldn't put expectations on him that he'll put the team on his shoulders and be the focus of a team turn around.

Hopefully he'll contribute, particularly in playing actual perimeter defense as opposed to the sieve that we saw last year.

We have been hearing about this kid for 4-5 years now and he finally gets to put an Iowa uniform on this fall. I hope he is the same caliber of talent as Luke Recker and Adam Haluska were. We need a third scoring option and fantastic defender to get this team back on track. I hope Joe is a stud and lives up to all expectations and hype! Can't wait for the season.
Defense pleese.Ask Kenyon...He knows.

I am guessing that if Joe W and Maishe primarily play the wing we will be better on both offense and defense.

Dailey is our best defender, and he has skills on the offensive end. If Maishe puts on the weight, and starts to drain those FTs at a high percentage (which I believe he will, those with decent shots usually do), then I want him & Joe W to get 65-75% of the minutes on the wing.

Those two should drastically improve our perimeter game... With Moss, Nunge, Baer, Connor & CJ taking the remainder of the minutes when not playing other positions.

Side note, I would like to see a lot of 4 guard/wing lineups. Rotating in Cook & Garza. Or possibly Kreiner & Pemsl. Whoever has the hot hand.

I hope our defense gets better with more backcourt options. A combination of keeping J Bo a bit fresher (hopefully healthier) and giving him a bit more freedom to play without being so foul sensitive should help. The ability to go small at the three should also help decrease dribble penetration. The help D from the bigs and paint rotations still scare me as we will get beat off the bounce and we give up so many layups when that happens.

Joe will need to set a D effort standard as I don't know where else it will come from. I can't see great results this year, but if we can add another key piece next year it could be real exciting.

Also cautiously optimistic. He got his wildly impressive stats by being a one-man show on a not-very-strong 4A Iowa team. At the state tourney, he really didn't look very impressive. His outside shot wasn't falling in their losing game. That all said, I think he'll be in the rotation from day one at Iowa. Of course, Iowa has a large rotation of able players. How much he touches the ball will be an issue. There are a large number of players on this Iowa team who are planning to step up this season. I don't see them just giving the ball to Joe so he can take shots. He'll have to earn his way, just like the others. If he shoots every time he gets the ball like he did in high school, he'd better make most of them, or there'll eventually be some grumblng on the squad.

Also cautiously optimistic. He got his wildly impressive stats by being a one-man show on a not-very-strong 4A Iowa team. At the state tourney, he really didn't look very impressive. His outside shot wasn't falling in their losing game. That all said, I think he'll be in the rotation from day one at Iowa. Of course, Iowa has a large rotation of able players. How much he touches the ball will be an issue. There are a large number of players on this Iowa team who are planning to step up this season. I don't see them just giving the ball to Joe so he can take shots. He'll have to earn his way, just like the others. If he shoots every time he gets the ball like he did in high school, he'd better make most of them, or there'll eventually be some grumblng on the squad.
My friends and I would respectfully disagree, we thought he was very impressive.. He missed his 4 outside shots but went 13-24 for 29 pts against ICW while being double and triple teamed the whole game. For the season he attempted 483 for the teams 1171 shot attempts (approx 40%) so he tried to get team mates involved. Attempted 24 of their 46 shots against ICW and as you mentioned he didn't have much help. I think on my HS team the leading scorer attempted about 60% of the shots

My friends and I would respectfully disagree, we thought he was very impressive.. He missed his 4 outside shots but went 13-24 for 29 pts against ICW while being double and triple teamed the whole game. For the season he attempted 483 for the teams 1171 shot attempts (approx 40%) so he tried to get team mates involved. Attempted 24 of their 46 shots against ICW and as you mentioned he didn't have much help. I think on my HS team the leading scorer attempted about 60% of the shots

Seriously? Who did you play with, Jeff Arneson?

Reactions: jasonrann
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT