ADVERTISEMENT

Wieskamp works out for OKC Thunder

We all believe he will be back at Iowa....what if we are wrong?? Only takes one of these teams to fall in love with him.

I said the same thing in the original release of him "testing" the waters.

Iowa Basketball would not be in a good place without him.

Reactions: Iowa210
Joe wasn't close to being "dominant" in college. He doesn't have the size or strength to play the 3 in the NBA, or the skills to play the 2. If he decides to try, he will be getting very bad advice.

Meh. Kevin Huerter did fine for the Hawks this year. Joe could be a similar player after next year. But yes, he needs another year IMO.

Meh. Kevin Huerter did fine for the Hawks this year. Joe could be a similar player after next year. But yes, he needs another year IMO.
Agreed. Think NBA will tell Joe to do more off the dribble at Iowa- which I think he can do. This would be good for him and the team.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
I'm guessing he'll get some good coaching during this period. Joey W will be a major scorer next season. Would not be at all surprised to see his scoring increase to 17-20 PPG.

Joe wasn't close to being "dominant" in college. He doesn't have the size or strength to play the 3 in the NBA, or the skills to play the 2. If he decides to try, he will be getting very bad advice.

being 'dominant' in college isn't a prerequisite to be drafted by an NBA team and/or have sustained success in the NBA. The NBA drafts on potential and upside as much if not more than any other pro sports league in the US.

Also, how do you figure Joe does't have the size to play the 3? Isn't he 6'6 with a wingspan of someone much taller than that? As for the comment of lacking skills, curious what skills you think he lacks? I'm no scout, but he was one of the most talented freshman we have had in a long time and he often deferred to the older players, at times when he shouldn't have. Great shooter, high basketball IQ, good athlete, can create his own shot, willing to play defense, good handles. rebounds, good length and a passion for the game and to get better. I suspect OKC is intrigued by those components to his game and doubt they are the only ones. I would love for Joe to be at Iowa for four years, but I think the odds of that happening are fairly slim based on what we've seen so far. Over/under at 2 yrs.

I keep seeing this Horton-Tucker kid from ISU on a lot of mock drafts in the late first round...is one clearly better than the other when comparing THT and Joe? I don't see much difference and certainly give the edge in shooting to Joe. Its often said you have to be elite at something to make the NBA. Elite rebounder, shooter, etc. Joe is a pretty damn good shooter, we'll see if he can get it to the elite level, which doesn't seem that far off to be honest.

He has the size for the 3 and is a very good rebounder. He is easily our best defender and moves his feet well for his size. He is a good combination of size and athleticism to match up with pro 3s.

being 'dominant' in college isn't a prerequisite to be drafted by an NBA team and/or have sustained success in the NBA. The NBA drafts on potential and upside as much if not more than any other pro sports league in the US.

Also, how do you figure Joe does't have the size to play the 3? Isn't he 6'6 with a wingspan of someone much taller than that? As for the comment of lacking skills, curious what skills you think he lacks? I'm no scout, but he was one of the most talented freshman we have had in a long time and he often deferred to the older players, at times when he shouldn't have. Great shooter, high basketball IQ, good athlete, can create his own shot, willing to play defense, good handles. rebounds, good length and a passion for the game and to get better. I suspect OKC is intrigued by those components to his game and doubt they are the only ones. I would love for Joe to be at Iowa for four years, but I think the odds of that happening are fairly slim based on what we've seen so far. Over/under at 2 yrs.

I keep seeing this Horton-Tucker kid from ISU on a lot of mock drafts in the late first round...is one clearly better than the other when comparing THT and Joe? I don't see much difference and certainly give the edge in shooting to Joe. Its often said you have to be elite at something to make the NBA. Elite rebounder, shooter, etc. Joe is a pretty damn good shooter, we'll see if he can get it to the elite level, which doesn't seem that far off to be honest.
He has the size for the 3 and is a very good rebounder. He is easily our best defender and moves his feet well for his size. He is a good combination of size and athleticism to match up with pro 3s.

I'm not even close to suggesting he can't play pro ball someday - he's just simply not ready yet.

Here are some of the NBA's "3's"
Lebron James
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Kevin Durant
Kawhi Leonard
Paul George
Jimmy Butler
Jason Tatum
Gordon Hayward

At "2", you're talking about James Harden, Klay Thompson, DeMar DeRozan, Jaylen Brown .....

Joe is a terrific college player. With experience, skill development and strength, he might get to play with those guys some day.

With all due respect, anybody that thinks Joe can play the 3 in the NBA hasn't paid attention to the league in a very long time.

I admittedly don't watch much NBA, but have tuned in for the Nuggets during the playoffs as they are the local team I loosely follow. Their starting wing is Will Barton, 6'6 190lbs, not a freak athlete but athletic by NBA standards, better defender than offensive threat, decent all around game. His backup is Torrey Craig, 6'7 about 215, good defender, decent on the offensive end.

This is only one example as its the only team I know even a little bit about, I"m sure there are others. Heck, the Nuggets just eliminated the Spurs and Bryn Forbes starts for that team. Curious why you don't think Joe has the skill set and ability to play at the next level at the wing or perhaps two guard? I suspect he doesn't have the foot speed and pure athleticism to exclusively play the 2 but feel like he has the size, length and athleticism to play the 3. Trying to look at this objectively without my black and gold glasses and also understand how incredibly difficult it is for guys to make an NBA roster let alone earn a spot in the regular rotation.

By the way, I hope Garza has been watching the Nuggets in the playoffs, Nikola Jokic is one hell of a player and a treat to watch. Shows that a slow footed big man can not only make it in the NBA but thrive. The Joker is probably the best passing big man since Arvydas Sabonis and has a really nice and crafty offensive game as well. Please note I"m not suggesting Garza is the next Jokic but there is a lot to learn and take away from his game and suspect Garza will take another step forward this year.

Not sure why you guys are hung up on 2 or 3 in the NBA. It's a wing, they're all interchange nowadays. Can Wieskamp play the wing in the NBA should be the question.

That’s true for now but I think in a few years he will be ready because I fully believe he’s going to take the feedback he gets and translate it into improving his game over the next couple of years.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I'm not even close to suggesting he can't play pro ball someday - he's just simply not ready yet.

Lebron James
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Kevin Durant
Kawhi Leonard
Paul George
Jimmy Butler
Jason Tatum
Gordon Hayward

At "2", you're talking about James Harden, Klay Thompson, DeMar DeRozan, Jaylen Brown .....

Joe is a terrific college player. With experience, skill development and strength, he might get to play with those guys some day.

You cite literally the best players in the world at those positions. In addition to those, there are 2-3 times as many playing those positions as role players or backups. Probably more.

My personal opinion is that Wieskamp should play 2-3 years in college at a minimum, but it's not a complete swag for him to play in the NBA. He has the size, he can shoot, he can do things off the dribble, he's a good enough athlete. As others have noted, Huerter from Maryland has been pretty good in the NBA. Huerter might be a better shooter, but Wieskamp is a good comp with him.

Sidenote, if he does stay in the draft this year Iowa's NCAA chances went right with him.

I don't think Joe is ready for the NBA, but the league is about skills not size. Joe is big enough, although he still needs be stronger and refine some skills, especially handling the ball to get his own shot or find others. With so many guys leaving, I expect to see him have the ball in his hands a lot more. I sure hope I am right.

You cite literally the best players in the world at those positions. In addition to those, there are 2-3 times as many playing those positions as role players or backups. Probably more.

My personal opinion is that Wieskamp should play 2-3 years in college at a minimum, but it's not a complete swag for him to play in the NBA. He has the size, he can shoot, he can do things off the dribble, he's a good enough athlete. As others have noted, Huerter from Maryland has been pretty good in the NBA. Huerter might be a better shooter, but Wieskamp is a good comp with him.

Sidenote, if he does stay in the draft this year Iowa's NCAA chances went right with him.
So, we are in agreement. He's not ready, but he certainly could be someday.

Reactions: owenhawk
So, we are in agreement. He's not ready, but he certainly could be someday.

Yes mostly. What I am afraid of is that he gets enough feedback from multiple teams that they are interested in taking him today, right now. But he's not as far away as many might think. If Huerter can be a rotation player, Wieskamp certainly could.

Reactions: anon_gjzkhykcp9iuj
I admittedly don't watch much NBA, but have tuned in for the Nuggets during the playoffs as they are the local team I loosely follow. Their starting wing is Will Barton, 6'6 190lbs, not a freak athlete but athletic by NBA standards, better defender than offensive threat, decent all around game. His backup is Torrey Craig, 6'7 about 215, good defender, decent on the offensive end.

This is only one example as its the only team I know even a little bit about, I"m sure there are others. Heck, the Nuggets just eliminated the Spurs and Bryn Forbes starts for that team. Curious why you don't think Joe has the skill set and ability to play at the next level at the wing or perhaps two guard? I suspect he doesn't have the foot speed and pure athleticism to exclusively play the 2 but feel like he has the size, length and athleticism to play the 3. Trying to look at this objectively without my black and gold glasses and also understand how incredibly difficult it is for guys to make an NBA roster let alone earn a spot in the regular rotation.

By the way, I hope Garza has been watching the Nuggets in the playoffs, Nikola Jokic is one hell of a player and a treat to watch. Shows that a slow footed big man can not only make it in the NBA but thrive. The Joker is probably the best passing big man since Arvydas Sabonis and has a really nice and crafty offensive game as well. Please note I"m not suggesting Garza is the next Jokic but there is a lot to learn and take away from his game and suspect Garza will take another step forward this year.
I really like Barton, and its a fair comparison. Ill only add this. Denver has an atypical line up of versatile wings and Barton is still viewed as a guard by the league. Anything is possible, but I wouldnt bet money on Joe getting any minutes as a 3 in the NBA.

They liked Collison so much, after he retired they're figuring out who might be the next white kid from Iowa with NBA potential.

“Wieskamp averaged 11.1 points, 4.9 rebounds and 1.1 assists in 35 games for Iowa while he shot 56.4 percent from the field and 42.4 percent from three-point range.”

Shooting percentage alone as a freshman is enough to get some NBA teams to take notice. He was also extremely clutch for such a young player and steadily improved as the season went on.

Is he ready now? No.

Might he be ready in a year or two? It’s possible especially with continued improvement. He has plenty of size and will continue to get stronger.

Lebron James
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Kevin Durant
Kawhi Leonard
Paul George
Jimmy Butler
Jason Tatum
Gordon Hayward

Giannis plays the 4 or 5. LeBron plays anywhere from the 3-5. Durant plays the 4 mostly. Leonard is a 3/4 tweener depending on the lineup.

The median starting SF in the NBA is probably about 6'7". Will Barton plays the 3 in Denver and he's 6'6". Landry Shamet is 6'5". 6'6" or 6'7" is certainly plenty of height to play on the wing in an NBA that is moving to ever smaller lineups recently.

Height is nice, but it doesn't determine whether you can play in the NBA, or even what position in some cases. Watch the Rockets-Golden State series. Tucker is playing 4 or even 5 for Houston at 6'5". Durant has played 1-4 in the series at 7'. Joe W is highly unlikely to ever be a 1 or 5, and even a 4, but he is plenty big enough at 6'7".

Giannis plays the 4 or 5. LeBron plays anywhere from the 3-5. Durant plays the 4 mostly. Leonard is a 3/4 tweener depending on the lineup.

The median starting SF in the NBA is probably about 6'7". Will Barton plays the 3 in Denver and he's 6'6". Landry Shamet is 6'5". 6'6" or 6'7" is certainly plenty of height to play on the wing in an NBA that is moving to ever smaller lineups recently.

Ok.

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-current-nba-small-forwards/ranker-sports

But he's not as far away as many might think. If Huerter can be a rotation player, Wieskamp certainly could.

Wholly agree. The numbers he put up were good, not great. But those were numbers he put up while being wholly deferential to other players. His aggressiveness increased as the year went on and so did his confidence. He is a deadeye shooter, and that alone can get somebody a shot in the NBA. His driving improved a lot as well, and I think it will get much better, teams will have to come out on him and he will be able to take advantage of that with increased aggressiveness and a bit more muscle. I'd bet money he will get drafted as long as he doesn't leave too early. I don't think there is a skill he is bad at, and several he is good or very good at.

Giannis is definitely not a 3. Can he play the 3? Yes. But he could play any position with the exception of PG for extended periods.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
citing a ranker list??? That's your source?

Try watching NBA games.

When Milwaukee starts Bledsoe, Brogdon, Middleton, Giannis, and Lopez, you are going to have a hard time convincing me that Giannis is playing the 3.

There's no use arguing NBA with college bball fans. 99 out of 100 people on here don't watch the Association but they spout like they know what they're talking about.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
There's no use arguing NBA with college bball fans. 99 out of 100 people on here don't watch the Association but they spout like they know what they're talking about.
I guess I’m shocked that 99% of people know what they’re doing when it comes to watching b-ball.

I would’ve guessed that percentage of smart b-ball fans much lower.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT