ADVERTISEMENT

Wieskamp

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
I take my hat off to Joe. Was a Hawk fan, through and through. Think he might have been higher ranked if he hadn't committed so early. You can be assured he got calls from other schools but held firm. Hope he has a great career in Iowa City, excited to see how he develops.

If you want to be a Hawk then good for you, if not, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

All to often kids let the publicity go to their heads. Good to see a highly rated Iowa kid stay home.

I give Joe credit for consistently playing at his 4 star recruitment level from a soph until now. Carton’s meteoric rise to a 5 star has yet to be backed up with a senior year of equal caliber play. Now that he’s not one of us, I’m in wait & see mode on him.
When you’ve done it 3 years in a row you’ve played with injuries, with the flu, with disappointment and ... with desire.

Last edited:
I take my hat off to Joe. Was a Hawk fan, through and through. Think he might have been higher ranked if he hadn't committed so early. You can be assured he got calls from other schools but held firm. Hope he has a great career in Iowa City, excited to see how he develops.

If you want to be a Hawk then good for you, if not, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

All to often kids let the publicity go to their heads. Good to see a highly rated Iowa kid stay home.
The recruiting process is pretty rough on almost all of them and its very easy to get lost in the hype and have a "salesman" give them a line if B.S. and make it difficult.
Proud of Joe but having been through the process I have a hard time being hard on the kids. The number of real glory hounds out there is really pretty small.

Reactions: Stormn Norman
The recruiting process is pretty rough on almost all of them and its very easy to get lost in the hype and have a "salesman" give them a line if B.S. and make it difficult.

Proud of Joe but having been through the process I have a hard time being hard on the kids. The number of real glory hounds out there is really pretty small.

I do not think Carton was going to Iowa from the beginning. I feel he wanted the big time and didn't think Iowa was it. Hope the Hawks have a few W's against him before he is done whichever BIG team he chooses.

Not buying the sales pitch theory because I think Fran has been very good at getting good talent to Iowa City. I'm sticking with my feeling that Carton never considered us and glad Fran found out now to use the scholly someplace else.

Hope Xavier gives Fran a decent shot.

Joe, Garza , and Cook tell me he can close. No one gets everyone. If I recall we got Garza pretty late. It's not over for next year yet. There's a lot of time for coaching changes and kids who will blow up as seniors.

I know it's frustrating for fans who feel invested in each recruit and we want to think every Iowa kid should automatically be a Hawkeye. We recruit other states hard and land some kids. Other coaches do the same in Iowa.

I hope/expect Joe to have the kind of year that makes others want to join him. I think our on floor chemistry takes a leap forward this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT