ADVERTISEMENT

Wieskamp

That’s being kind. A regression has been happening before our eyes.

Those NBA camps must emphasize giving less then an all out effort on D. Cook, Moss, and Joe W are my evidence.

Last year I loved how hard and smart he played. Hopefully he turns the corner soon.

He's hurt. Doesn't look to be putting full effort out there, so maybe more Bakari.

Something I would do with Joe W is reward him somehow for offensive fouls. Some kind of reward system. Get the kid attacking bodies and baskets. He’ll experience some failure along the way—turnovers, getting his shot blocked, whatever—but that’s how you learn and develop. Dribbling at cones and chairs and even coaches doesn’t do it for some kids. You actually have to tell them that you want them to earn at least one offensive foul in the first four minutes or whatever. Reward him in practice. Going into bodies is how you create space. Luka gets it, so does Joe T, and CJ understands it but is struggling physically at the moment. Reward Joe W for trying to learn how to do it even when the result is offensive foul or turnover or whatever.

Joe W is the kind of player who doesn’t want to make mistakes, at least that’s what I’m observing. CJ, on the other hand, is less worried, plays with more freedom. Obviously Joe T is like fück it and fück you I’m coming at you you’re going to taste my nuts... repeatedly.

It would be nice if some of Connor's demeanor would rub off on Joe W.

Agreed, Connor continues to be the whipping boy on this site even though he’s been arguably the second or third best overall player this year after Garza and has given continuous fantastic effort and toughness while Wieskamp (and I was as big of promoter of Joe going into this year as anyone) looks like he’s sleepwalking half the time and playing like a scared little kid in over his head. I hope it’s just that Wieskamp has been hurt and maybe too hard on himself and letting frustration get to him but I’m for him losing some minutes if he doesn’t pick it up.

Look at some film from last year on Joe W. He drove the baseline and either finished (sometimes a dunk) or got fouled and went to the line. Now he is getting blocked often or getting stripped. I think maybe he is not able to cut and jump as well as last year?? Or his arm hurts and he babies it?

He is not going to answer it and throw his guys under the bus.
As long as it gets asked....repeatedly....so Fran starts feeling some heat about his defensive approach to the game. It’s not about the player, but how they’re being coached.

There’s been a lot written about Joe W’s health. It would be fairer to him if Fran would clarify what (if any) the issue is. If it’s his elbow I’m not sure that causes the lack of D. If it’s mono the kid is really gutting it out.

We can all agree his D has been lacking and he hasn’t been showing the level of effort we’d hoped for. Has he got the NBA tryout disease or just what is ailing him?

Joe W hasn't been what I had hoped either, but he is playing like someone who isn't healthy. He has been only an average player, when we were all expecting him to be one of the top 10 players in the B1G. He always plays solid overall basketball, but I expected a lot more aggression, especially on the offensive end. Hopefully, Joe will snap out of this soon, because we need him to be really good to win against the best teams.

There’s been a lot written about Joe W’s health. It would be fairer to him if Fran would clarify what (if any) the issue is. If it’s his elbow I’m not sure that causes the lack of D. If it’s mono the kid is really gutting it out.

We can all agree his D has been lacking and he hasn’t been showing the level of effort we’d hoped for. Has he got the NBA tryout disease or just what is ailing him?
If he has mono there's no way he should be allowed on the court

Well for one....he's not an alpha male..he's quiet and I'm guessing passive aggressive. Which also probably means he's not an effective communicator.

Reactions: 2319
Fran knew after last season that Moss was leaving and Bohannon's future was questionable based on his recovery. Knowing these two things, the best he could do in the transfer portal was Evelyn? I would have thought Fran could have found somebody capable of shooting a little bit. He is an OK defender but has shown 0 signs he has any offense whatsoever.

Given how little he plays combined with limited / no involvement in the offense other than to catch and pass on the perimeter, I sense Fran does not think he is capable of more. I had high hopes for him, but I am on the verge of throwing in towel on him showing more than he has thus far.

No question Joe W. (Weezie) has not looked like himself so far. If we are to have any chance at the Dance we need the great Weezie back.

During the Syracuse game they mentioned Joe had gotten very sick in Vegas and that he still wasn’t recovered in Syracuse. You could see his 3s were barely making it to the hoop in Vegas. Hopefully he has recovered and can keep on track the rest of the season.

Whole lotta stupid on this thread. A kid doesn't go from being a great player to a load on the team in 3 games. Sometimes you just have to listen/read to know what's going on, instead of always assuming the worst.

Reactions: wj and Wadukester
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT