ADVERTISEMENT

Wieskamp's decision hurting Iowa in the Portal?

hawktech

HR All-State
Aug 6, 2002
Is Joe W's decision on going pro or staying helping or hurting Iowa's chances of landing a big in the transfer portal??

Say you are a talented big wanting to play on a good team for your final season. Would you consider Iowa if you thought Joe W was not going to be playing??

Iowa is certainly a better team with Wieskamp. And the uncertainty without him is a question mark. A big one... Although I think we could still field a decent team if we stay healthy, but do players outside the program...?

Hopefully JW stays. And makes that decision soon, so Iowa can move forward.

• Haha
Reactions: 2bagger22
Joe has earned right to take time on his decision
Certainly as in respect to the public and fans, but hopefully Coach Fran knows where he stands or where he is leaning. Fran has certainly earned that right. HawkRose is definitely right in today’s world. Put yourself ahead of the University, coaching staff and teammates, who without, you wouldn’t have this decision to contemplate.

Reactions: hawktech
IMHO: Joe is not a do it all NBA starter. He is a role player, a shooter. While he could stick around and increase his points, he likely will not maintain his stellar shooting percentage due to having to take a higher volume of overall and even more difficult shots. So for those reasons, I recommend he turn pro in 2021.

I would be happy to eat some crow if he does play a bigger role in the NBA.

Just give Joe time to get the feedback he needs to make his decision . Man I just don’t understand some on this board that want instant gratification. I’m sure Fran is kept in the loop as much as is possible. Whatever happens it’s a decision he will have thought out and when he is ready he will let everyone know. What Fran decides to do is also his decision. Relax, one day we will also become informed

It's not an easy decision. JW will make the call when he's sure what's best for him. The longer it goes, the more you'd think that he's not so sure about his NBA prospects.

Seems like a stretch that would make much difference to a guy looking to be the featured post.

I'm still waiting to be convinced that the staff is seriously working the portal. When there's at least a hint that they're trying to land a player, then it might be worth considering.

I think JW should have the opportunity to get whatever feedback he needs to make a decision. I also think Fran should be looking to upgrade the talent of the team and if that means bringing in a grad transfer wing at JW's spot, so be it. Fran has had 11 years to work his system and has had modest success. To get to the next level (winning a second round game) he needs to be willing to create more competition in practice and stop the seniority system. A big + the best guy Fran get regardless of position should be Fran's goal IMO.

IMHO: Joe is not a do it all NBA starter. He is a role player, a shooter. While he could stick around and increase his points, he likely will not maintain his stellar shooting percentage due to having to take a higher volume of overall and even more difficult shots. So for those reasons, I recommend he turn pro in 2021.

I would be happy to eat some crow if he does play a bigger role in the NBA.
I don't think you'll be eating crow. But I too would be happy if it happens!!
I think most would agree he'll never be an NBA starter. Prossibly never ever play a single game in the NBA.

Right now I cannot find one NBA draft expert with Joe W on their mock draft first two rounds.
So, does Joe leave his lady in IC for Euroball and lots of coin, or the D league and a few bucks worth considerably less than his scholarship??

Reactions: jo12208
I doubt his decision is impacting things much. If we are looking at a SF in the portal, I am sure the coach having 2 sons that see time at the position would be a much larger factor.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I doubt his decision is impacting things much. If we are looking at a SF in the portal, I am sure the coach having 2 sons that see time at the position would be a much larger factor.

I talking a BIG, not a SF. If you (being a good player wanting a better destination) thought the team was going to be borderline (Iowa without Joe W), vs good-to very good (Iowa with JW), would that impact your decision...? ??

Thinking as a 21 YO, I'm saying heck yes.

I talking a BIG, not a SF. If you (being a good player wanting a better destination) thought the team was going to be borderline (Iowa without Joe W), vs good-to very good (Iowa with JW), would that impact your decision...? ??

Thinking as a 21 YO, I'm saying heck yes.

Available playing time and how a team uses their bigs has a much bigger impact than whether a particular player at a different position is coming back.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Joe W won’t make an NBA roster. With that being said, best of luck to him no matter what he decides.
After watching some of these recent games, I am inclined to say you are correct. He obviously has an awesome stroke, I just don't know if you has the elite ball handling skills/defense skills I am seeing in other players like say a Johnny Juzang. Having said that, that is just my layman's take and if he is testing the NBA waters it is apparent that Fran and other scouts feel he can play in the NBA. So what do I know! haha

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
After watching some of these recent games, I am inclined to say you are correct. He obviously has an awesome stroke, I just don't know if you has the elite ball handling skills/defense skills I am seeing in other players like say a Johnny Juzang. Having said that, that is just my layman's take and if he is testing the NBA waters it is apparent that Fran and other scouts feel he can play in the NBA. So what do I know! haha
Agree that Joe is not in the same class when it comes to NBA athleticism as some of the other players with whom he'd be competing for a roster spot.
I think of Kyle Korver as more of the role model for JW. Korver had a long and successful career in which he was "out-athleted" most nights at his spot. But he figured out what his role was and made it work. Now, I'm in no way saying that JW is at this point the heir apparent to one of the leagues all time great 3 point shooters. But, he has a similar skill set that would let him do the kind of things that Korver could.
And, I've brought this up before but I'll say it again, if Duncan Robinson can make an NBA regular season roster then I'd have to consider it at least a possibility that JW could find a role somewhere.

Agree that Joe is not in the same class when it comes to NBA athleticism as some of the other players with whom he'd be competing for a roster spot.
I think of Kyle Korver as more of the role model for JW. Korver had a long and successful career in which he was "out-athleted" most nights at his spot. But he figured out what his role was and made it work. Now, I'm in no way saying that JW is at this point the heir apparent to one of the leagues all time great 3 point shooters. But, he has a similar skill set that would let him do the kind of things that Korver could.
And, I've brought this up before but I'll say it again, if Duncan Robinson can make an NBA regular season roster then I'd have to consider it at least a possibility that JW could find a role somewhere.
He's closer to Duncan Hines than Duncan Robinson.
Sorry, kid plays low league Euro ball at best.
Poor handles and too timid when it comes to driving the ball.

Hope I'm wrong but if you don't see that your black and gold glasses need a major adjustment.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Is Joe W's decision on going pro or staying helping or hurting Iowa's chances of landing a big in the transfer portal??

Say you are a talented big wanting to play on a good team for your final season. Would you consider Iowa if you thought Joe W was not going to be playing??

Iowa is certainly a better team with Wieskamp. And the uncertainty without him is a question mark. A big one... Although I think we could still field a decent team if we stay healthy, but do players outside the program...?

Hopefully JW stays. And makes that decision soon, so Iowa can move forward.
This is dumb.

Joe's not holding anything up, Fran has at least 1 scholarship to give out whether Joe stays or goes.
If anything, Bohannan is putting a monkey wrench into the equation by indicating he may return for his 6th year.
If Joe leaves, Iowa is in good hands at the forward/guard positions with Keegan, Kris, Patrick, and Payton. Plenty of bodies to fill the void if Joe leaves.

This is dumb.

Really? So say you are a good big playing for a lesser school, looking to transfer to a good school for your last season. You want to win. Right?

Is Iowa more attractive to you without Joe W, or with Joe W??

No question, Iowa with JW is a MUCH better team in 21-22. That is who I want to play for.... it makes a difference, big time

Wieskamp 45, Garza 48 in this mock: http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

Garza 46, Wieskamp 48 in The Athletic's recent mock

I'm guessing Wieskamp declares but keeps his option open to come back. He'll get an invite to the combine in late June. I think he'll make his final decision based on his performance and feedback he gets there.

I know a lot of people on this board don't think he'll ever sniff the NBA, but I think he can be a role guy (second unit) on an NBA team. He's a top 10-15 shooter in the college game right now, and that's what NBA execs are seeking. Sure, he has deficiencies, but I think he's got a better than 50-50 shot to make a roster.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
Wieskamp 45, Garza 48 in this mock: http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

Garza 46, Wieskamp 48 in The Athletic's recent mock

I'm guessing Wieskamp declares but keeps his option open to come back. He'll get an invite to the combine in late June. I think he'll make his final decision based on his performance and feedback he gets there.

I know a lot of people on this board don't think he'll ever sniff the NBA, but I think he can be a role guy (second unit) on an NBA team. He's a top 10-15 shooter in the college game right now, and that's what NBA execs are seeking. Sure, he has deficiencies, but I think he's got a better than 50-50 shot to make a roster.
Yep in today's nba he definitely could have a shot to have a career IF.... he can be a knock down shooter from 3(doesn't need to be elite but just find a way to be consistent 38-42%)plenty of need for that in today's NBA, come off screens, catch and shoot, he could make a a career with hardly dribbling the ball besides his step back/side step move that he's really improved with. He can even be average to just below average on defense and still make a team.

What's that have to do with Fran not using the portal more aggressively?

He is an ISU fan that is coming here to tell us how shitty Fran is at recruiting transfers while Otz is getting beat by Oakland for a kid and bringing a kid in that is worse than Conditt.

He is an ISU fan that is coming here to tell us how shitty Fran is at recruiting transfers while Otz is getting beat by Oakland for a kid and bringing a kid in that is worse than Conditt.
He didn't say Fran isn't good at recruiting transfers, he said he basically isn't trying. Which is true and Fran admitted it himself.

He's closer to Duncan Hines than Duncan Robinson.
Sorry, kid plays low league Euro ball at best.
Poor handles and too timid when it comes to driving the ball.

Hope I'm wrong but if you don't see that your black and gold glasses need a major adjustment.

Yep Duncan Robinson is known for his tight handles and all out drives to the rim.

Reactions: BBHawk
Yep Duncan Robinson is known for his tight handles and all out drives to the rim.
He went from d3 to UM to starting for an NBA team.
Joe thinks he's going to emulate that guy he has a LOT of work to do.

Hope he does but it's a very long shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT