ADVERTISEMENT

Wieskamp's decision hurting Iowa in the Portal?

lol 9.2/2.4/1.1 with 38% from 3 compared to 14.8/6.6/1.7 on 46% from 3. I actually don’t think you know who Duncan Robinson is from your posts. Are you thinking of David Robinson?
Robinson actually got worse from 3 all three years he was at Michigan. And his % last year, in the NBA, was higher than his Jr or Sr years in college.

Not sure how those all happen.

Reactions: Hawkeye_Pride06
lol 9.2/2.4/1.1 with 38% from 3 compared to 14.8/6.6/1.7 on 46% from 3. I actually don’t think you know who Duncan Robinson is from your posts. Are you thinking of David Robinson?
Lol, he's bigger, stronger, and faster than JW. Also was much better coached in college.
He's also making NBA $, something JW won't be doing this time next season and that is all that matters.

Lol, he's bigger, stronger, and faster than JW. Also was much better coached in college.
He's also making NBA $, something JW won't be doing this time next season and that is all that matters.

He’s stronger? That’s funny. If he was better coached in college why did he keep getting worse at Michigan? Explain to me how his on court production was better in college than Joe’s. He just stood in the corner at Michigan.

Weiskamp made more 3’s on a higher volume of shots and also faced much tougher defenders night in and night out than Robinson. Weiskamp was Iowa’s top perimeter scorer, Robinson was a fifth option.

Also by your logic every single player in the NBA is better than anyone not in the NBA because the guys already there are getting money. This is like saying Matt Thomas is better than Jalen Suggs because he’s getting nba money and Suggs isn’t lol.

He’s stronger? That’s funny. If he was better coached in college why did he keep getting worse at Michigan? Explain to me how his on court production was better in college than Joe’s. He just stood in the corner at Michigan.

Weiskamp made more 3’s on a higher volume of shots and also faced much tougher defenders night in and night out than Robinson. Weiskamp was Iowa’s top perimeter scorer, Robinson was a fifth option.
Good luck, Joe.

Also by your logic every single player in the NBA is better than anyone not in the NBA because the guys already there are getting money. This is like saying Matt Thomas is better than Jalen Suggs because he’s getting nba money and Suggs isn’t lol.
I'm strictly comparing these two, without my black and gold glasses.

Duncan Robinson played in 15 games his first season and shot under 30% from 3, on a small sample.

This year he is a starter and averaging 13 ppg on 40% shooting from 3.

He is 6'7" and his defensive rating is 113 (average is 100).

Joe is on almost all of the "best shooters in the 2021 draft" lists, anywhere from 2nd to 5th or so.

As a SG in the NBA, he should be pretty effective in catch and shoot or situations where his defender has to close out on him and he can pump fake and side step. If he drives off the pump fake, it's less clear where he can be effective as he hasn't been real great at finishing against length or athleticism inside the paint, so he would likely drive to 15 feet and then do a step back / fade away shot as he's shown a few times. His limitations finishing inside of 8 feet and on defense, where he doesn't physically maintain the corner when guys try to drive past him, are his main weaknesses. He does defensive rebound very well and is a willing rebounder, and a very good team guy with high character. For a white SG he is pretty athletic - moreso than Robinson for example.

I think he gets drafted and as a rotational guy off the bench can be someone coaches can trust to do what they want and hit all the open shots. If he's guarding the other team's backup SG he can probably hand in well enough defensively. Hard to envision him as a starter at any point without some big changes in his strength and approach to on-the-ball defense, but I wouldn't entirely rule it out after 3 or more years of full time basketball.

You could justify coming back to Iowa if you thought it was 50% or more likely you wouldn't make a roster. It's a tough position to be in as there are a lot of good shooters from Europe and all over the US.

Is Joe W's decision on going pro or staying helping or hurting Iowa's chances of landing a big in the transfer portal??

Say you are a talented big wanting to play on a good team for your final season. Would you consider Iowa if you thought Joe W was not going to be playing??

Iowa is certainly a better team with Wieskamp. And the uncertainty without him is a question mark. A big one... Although I think we could still field a decent team if we stay healthy, but do players outside the program...?

Hopefully JW stays. And makes that decision soon, so Iowa can move forward.

I would expect him to go through the process of getting feedback. Why wouldn’t he?

Also, if I’m a big, I’m looking for exposure and playing time. I get that Iowa will be down from this year, but I also see a team that has had some good bigs over the last 6-8 years who are or will be making money playing pro ball and I also see a team that has absolutely no bigs.

Just give Joe time to get the feedback he needs to make his decision . Man I just don’t understand some on this board that want instant gratification. I’m sure Fran is kept in the loop as much as is possible. Whatever happens it’s a decision he will have thought out and when he is ready he will let everyone know. What Fran decides to do is also his decision. Relax, one day we will also become informed
I love how every discussion on here devolves into an argument over whether Weezy can make the NBA or how Fran isn’t working the portal hard enough.
Its a facking message board. Its discussion, its not like Joe or Fran turn to anyone on here for advice. Chill out.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Seems like a stretch that would make much difference to a guy looking to be the featured post.

I'm still waiting to be convinced that the staff is seriously working the portal. When there's at least a hint that they're trying to land a player, then it might be worth considering.
The primary issue in all of this is what is in the best interests of the Iowa basketball PROGRAM.....and that would be shifting the McCaffreys to walk-on status, give Fran a raise that covers the cost of sending two in state kids to Iowa and arming him with 3-4 schollies to hit the portal to get the best players he can possibly get. What an opportunity!

Last edited:
The primary issue in all of this is what is in the best interests of the Iowa basketball PROGRAM.....and that would be shifting the McCaffreys to walk-on status, give Fran a raise that covers the cost of sending two in state kids to Iowa and arming him with 3-4 schollies to hit the portal to get the best players he can possibly get. What an opportunity!
Fran doesn't need a raise to put his kids thru College.

And yes, it's beneficial to Iowa if he would do that, but there's only so much playing time and his kids are going to play. But you also need really good players who are willing to come to Iowa, while balancing the development and playing time of the kids you made a commitment to when you recruited them.

There is a lot to consider, but Iowa definitely could add a couple of players this year and it shouldn't upset the apple cart too much for anybody. Look at all the players in the portal just from the Big Ten alone, I'd say it's a good thing Iowa's players want to stick around (as long as they don't all suck! Ha!).

If you start going nuts with portal players every year, your recruitment of High School players could suffer too. Fran and every other Coach needs to use the portal to fill obvious needs if they can, it's definitely a MAJOR consideration on how to handle your roster going forward.

There is a lot to consider, but Iowa definitely could add a couple of players this year and it shouldn't upset the apple cart too much for anybody. Look at all the players in the portal just from the Big Ten alone, I'd say it's a good thing Iowa's players want to stick around (as long as they don't all suck! Ha!).
This is a really good point that I haven't seen discussed much. When you see so many schools losing valuable players to the portal, it becomes apparent that keeping the valuable players you already have out of the portal can be just as important as attracting new players from the portal.

Im in the camp that thinks he comes back. You only get so many years of college basketball and he is going to be a fringe NBA player at best in my opinion. There are 3 or 4 6'6" white guys in the league, all of which can shoot the ball at an insane rate and usually have some element of playmaking to their game. That's where I see the big hole in Joe W's current game, his ability to beat a defender off the dribble with handles. He can blow by a guy going right or left, but he doesn't have any semblance of a guy who can score consistently in the NBA outside of an open 3 or straight line drive. The good thing about college is you can get away with a lot more and he will do so in his final year at Iowa.

We saw a guy 3 inches taller and similar skill set barely stay on the fringes of the NBA in Uthoff. The NBA is tough as hell to break into unless you are a generational athlete

I think a big factor is his fiancé being enrolled in dental school.
I didn't realize that, and I figured whatever she did would have a big impact on his decision. I assumed she was moving on since she was a senior. Good to know, I'm feeling much more optimistic about Weiskamp coming back now than I was a few weeks ago.

Weiskamp + Robbins and next year's team will be more successful than this past year's.

I didn't realize that, and I figured whatever she did would have a big impact on his decision. I assumed she was moving on since she was a senior. Good to know, I'm feeling much more optimistic about Weiskamp coming back now than I was a few weeks ago.

Weiskamp + Robbins and next year's team will be more successful than this past year's.
If Wiesy and Robbins are on this team next season, I would be giddy.

I think a big factor is his fiancé being enrolled in dental school.

Do we know for sure she was accepted & she accepted admission into the U of I program?

I know she had planned on taking the Dental Admission Test & applying but hadn’t heard the outcome.

Don't forget the social justice warriors that work racism into every topic. I saw some imbecility's about black players wouldn't transfer to Iowa and I think all of McC's transfers have been black but Uthoff.

We started with Mel Basabe and Big Ben Cartwright both black both transfers to Iowa. The last transfer, Bakari, was black. If you count JUCOs you've got Dale Jones and that really dumb Dickinson kid-although he might be just a straight transfer. Other than Ute have any white kids transferred into Iowa? It worse than mindless its just slander.

Reactions: cruhawk
Don't forget the social justice warriors that work racism into every topic. I saw some imbecility's about black players wouldn't transfer to Iowa and I think all of McC's transfers have been black but Uthoff.

We started with Mel Basabe and Big Ben Cartwright both black both transfers to Iowa. The last transfer, Bakari, was black. If you count JUCOs you've got Dale Jones and that really dumb Dickinson kid-although he might be just a straight transfer. Other than Ute have any white kids transferred into Iowa? Yet people make up reasons to be negative and pissed.
Quick clarification/correction: Basabe wasn’t a transfer. He came in as a freshman.

Reactions: Jedhawk77
All it takes is one team to like Joe. But the odds do not seem to be on his side, according to the "experts".

https://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/bigboard/ Where is Joe W?

https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable/_/position/ovr/page/4 Dropped 2 spots in the last two weeks. Not in the first 2 rounds.

I'd love to see Joe W follow the lead of Colin Gillespie and Jermaine Samuels of Villanova and come back for another year.

Reactions: warriors dad
I think Joe has the better chance of having a more productive NBA career than Luka does.

I love how every discussion on here devolves into an argument over whether Weezy can make the NBA or how Fran isn’t working the portal hard enough.

Agreed.....that was not the question asked.

BTW, yes....I think it effects the recruiting of other players in the Portal currently. Hurts with some...may help with others. Most kids want to win, so likely hurts with those.

ADVERTISEMENT