ADVERTISEMENT

Will any of the seniors on this years team come back for

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
An additional year since it was basically a “free year” so guys like Heflin, Smith and S Marsette could all use some more game film .. the only one or 2 I don’t know are Gholston and A Jackson ... and maybe some others could benefit from the free year but doesn’t that ‘F up recruiting then? That’s where I don’t understand how all this would work out but I would definitely take back all those guys but when $ calls it’s hard not to go for it as many of these players families aren’t rich and it seems to be the thing and the right thing to do is setting up your folks for life after signing a big NFL contract.

My guess is it will depend on injuries. If someone goes down and cannot compete in the combine they would be very likely to come back.

I have to think the chances are better than average. When was the last time skill position guys got drafted in the first round from Iowa? What are the chances that they could jump into that level with another year on the rest of their draft class? I don't know the answer to that, but if it's a good bet someone can move from 5th or 6th round to 1 or 2, another year in college is probably worth it to them.

Extending by a semester? I would guess a lot of them do it. Very few are going to the nfl and they would get to play one more year.

An additional year since it was basically a “free year” so guys like Heflin, Smith and S Marsette could all use some more game film .. the only one or 2 I don’t know are Gholston and A Jackson ... and maybe some others could benefit from the free year but doesn’t that ‘F up recruiting then? That’s where I don’t understand how all this would work out but I would definitely take back all those guys but when $ calls it’s hard not to go for it as many of these players families aren’t rich and it seems to be the thing and the right thing to do is setting up your folks for life after signing a big NFL contract.
Good question. I was just thinking of this. I was wondering if Brandon Smith or VanValkenburg would maybe come back.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
The school isn’t going to pay for them when they had to cut sports and are in a deep revenue shortfall.

The school isn’t going to pay for them when they had to cut sports and are in a deep revenue shortfall.

Of course they will. At least if they are seen as someone that will contribute they will maintain their scholarship. If they don't currently have a scholarship then I doubt they would get one

Probably-
Van Valkenburg
Heflin
Cronk
Beyer
Lorbeck
Schulte

Possibly-
ISM
Niemann
Sargent
Cooper
Banwart
Wade

Doubtful-
Golston
Smith
Nixon
Hankins
Jackson

Before the season I would have agreed with you on the WRs, but I think ISM's draft stock might be falling a hair, while Smith is impressing some scouts so far.
Smith is strong and he has great hands but he isn't very fast and he doesn't make any explosive plays.
ISM is more dynamic and can return kicks. Also, with regards to ISM I don't think anything has hurt his stock but I also don't think it was very high to begin with. I think he is a late round pick type of guy. I actually have a hard time seeing many seniors return unless they just want to have a regular Senior year because I don't see guys that would really go from undrafted to drafted.

Smith is strong and he has great hands but he isn't very fast and he doesn't make any explosive plays.
ISM is more dynamic and can return kicks. Also, with regards to ISM I don't think anything has hurt his stock but I also don't think it was very high to begin with. I think he is a late round pick type of guy. I actually have a hard time seeing many seniors return unless they just want to have a regular Senior year because I don't see guys that would really go from undrafted to drafted.

Probably the right answer. Still a lot of details about how it will work if guys want to return. Does scholarship limit stay at 85? By the next year, do teams have to be down to 85? How do schools pay for it? And on and on.

For receivers, it is all about how fast they run and test at the combine. Yes, on-field results matter but it's why Smith isn't sure-fire to be drafted and it's why ISM might. Lazard was a very good college receiver and didn't get drafted all due to 40 time.

Does a Banwart want another year as he's missed portions of 2 years due to injuries? Does Niemann? If a bunch of guys come back, what does that do to team chemistry as other guys know what the roster and class situation looks like? Whole host of issues that come up when a year is decreed a "free" year.

I'll be betting on Keith Duncan coming back. Not a strong enough leg for the pros, and I think hes having a great time here!

SIAP has there been any news on Cronk or Hankins returning? I searched for a thread but didn’t find anything and I haven’t heard any news. I think both returning would obviously be monumental for our 2021 depth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT