ADVERTISEMENT

Will even Alabama play football this fall?

Mar 19, 2018
Nick Saban and the athletic department at Alabama seem to be doing their absolute best, but the AD is concerned it won't be good enough. The athletic bubble isn't secure enough to protect against the general student population. If North Carolina plays, it will be because they went on-line and sent the students home.

Last edited:
Nick Saban and the athletic department at Alabama seem to be doing their absolute best, but the AD is concerned it won't be good enough. The athletic bubble isn't secure enough to protect against the general student population. If North Carolina plays, it will be because they went on-line and sent the students home.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Who wants college sports this fall?? ⚽️‍♀️<br><br>Obviously not these people!! ‍♂️<br><br>We’ve got to do better than this for each other and our campus community. Please wear your masks! <a href="https://t.co/OAFocYZwin">pic.twitter.com/OAFocYZwin</a></p>&mdash; Greg Byrne (@Greg_Byrne) <a href=" ">August 16, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Click on ‘share tweet’, then click ‘copy link to tweet’, then click on ‘link’ on board then paste link, finally click ‘post reply’.

If I were a kid on campus, except for that first time where a covid test was mandatory, I would absolutely refuse to be tested.
If you have a potential exposure, your only other options likely would be quarantine or go home. Schools have set up isolation housing for students. UNC's filled up right away, which is why they sent everyone home.

If you don't want the players to get it, you keep them in a bubble. The only way.....

The BIG will be proven right, sorry peeps. It is going to be a SHIT show for the ones trying to play.

yep and yet now seeing pictures on social media of crowds in downtown IC establishments this week...this is going to go...poorly.

CDC says that they predict there would be a 30% drop in overall infection rates if 95% of the population wore masks while out doing business. I just don't know that wearing a mask or not is going to determine the outcome of the fall football season for those universities that plan to go ahead with it. I mean, you're talking almost 4 million confirmed cases still, even if 95% of everyone in the United States had been wearing a mask since March...

yep and yet now seeing pictures on social media of crowds in downtown IC establishments this week...this is going to go...poorly.

I wouldn’t be so sure. I’d be willing to bet there aren’t any Covid deaths of undergraduate college students at Iowa this semester.

Now if ‘go poorly’ you mean students are gonna test positive for Covid? Well sure that will be true.

I also suspect that the rest of college football will end up getting a season while we won’t. And if that happens I’ll be beyond pissed.

Last edited:
If you have a potential exposure, your only other options likely would be quarantine or go home. Schools have set up isolation housing for students. UNC's filled up right away, which is why they sent everyone home.

I am just saying if I were on campus and felt like I had a cold or something of that nature, no way in hell would I go to the local Doc to get tested to see if I had COVID.

CDC says that they predict there would be a 30% drop in overall infection rates if 95% of the population wore masks while out doing business. I just don't know that wearing a mask or not is going to determine the outcome of the fall football season for those universities that plan to go ahead with it. I mean, you're talking almost 4 million confirmed cases still, even if 95% of everyone in the United States had been wearing a mask since March...

Had a local Doc state there is credible discussion that upwards of 100 million people have been exposed in the US already. Antibody tests are worthless. Says they provide no definitive answer and are a waste of money.

Our kids are going back for in person learning and if we don't have it in our household by October, then we already had it back in Feb/March timeframe when an illness similar came through.

CDC has now stated that immunity is absolute, meaning if you had this you will not get it again. They have only been able to study 3 months of data because that's all the longer it has been around to study.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
Nobody is going to play college football this fall. Eventually, the Big Ten and Pac 12 will get credit for doing the right thing, even if the Big Ten totally botched the PR end of things.

People should realize by now that you can't wish this virus away. It's not a hoax. Young people can and do contract it and pass it on. And nobody knows the long-term health ramifications. Those trying to play this fall are in for a huge mess, one the Big Ten and Pac 12 have wisely avoided.

Question for Hawkeye Marching Band- if you are still a member, is the band practicing?

Question for Hawkeye Marching Band- if you are still a member, is the band practicing?
I am what the band calls a "fossil," i.e., an alumnus, but I can answer your question. Their Facebook page shows photos of them doing marching practice, but it looks like only the percussion is playing. Everyone is masked.

I get both sides. probably not a great idea however they're much safer in a bubble than they are with the majority of college kids. I imagine they probably burst the bubble pretty quick though.....

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I am what the band calls a "fossil," i.e., an alumnus, but I can answer your question. Their Facebook page shows photos of them doing marching practice, but it looks like only the percussion is playing. Everyone is masked.
Fellow fossil here. That sounds like an absolute nightmare for the kids.

Nobody is going to play college football this fall.

That's a lot of egg your likely to be wiping off. Anyone speaking in absolutes like this, is not someone to take seriously. None of us can be sure how this will go...but rest assured...it all comes down to what the SEC is determined to do. If they are determined to play, the Big 12 and ACC are going to follow...the SEC gives them both the cover they need to move forward and play, and the desire to maintain revenue offers a big push as well. Add to that this...the players are safer and more closely monitored and cared for during a football season...then sidelined with some practices and pushed into the student populace with less guidance and restrictions (which is precisely what is likely to happen).

Reactions: Simbahawk4
That's a lot of egg your likely to be wiping off. Anyone speaking in absolutes like this, is not someone to take seriously. None of us can be sure how this will go...but rest assured...it all comes down to what the SEC is determined to do. If they are determined to play, the Big 12 and ACC are going to follow...the SEC gives them both the cover they need to move forward and play, and the desire to maintain revenue offers a big push as well. Add to that this...the players are safer and more closely monitored and cared for during a football season...then sidelined with some practices and pushed into the student populace with less guidance and restrictions (which is precisely what is likely to happen).

Your statement about the Big 12 and ACC taking their marching orders from SEC looks like an absolute. I couldn't take the rest of your post seriously after that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT