ADVERTISEMENT

Will face masks be required to enter Kinnick? At Jack Trice, the answer is "yes."

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa

EbSdaScU8AE0xit

The virus knows no politics. It is, to be blunt, selfish and ignorant NOT to wear a mask or face shield. And yet I was in a medical building yesterday and NONE of the receptionists, the nurses, or the doctors were wearing any face covering. It was as if the virus didn't exist. I, on the other hand, was wearing a face shield. So, sadly, it's not just football fans we have to worry about.

I could see them tossing people who refuse to leave them on inside. Will be easy to patrol if say they allow only 15,000 in.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
The problem is that a good number of people who are willing to attend a sporting event during this pandemic are also probably the same people I keep seeing that refuse to wear masks already. I won't be going to any games but I feel bad for people that want to go but won't go if people aren't distancing and wearing masks.

I hope they require them.
But easy for me to say, I am not planning on going to any games. (But that would have been true with or with out Covid.)

Reactions: dbrocket
The virus knows no politics. It is, to be blunt, selfish and ignorant NOT to wear a mask or face shield. And yet I was in a medical building yesterday and NONE of the receptionists, the nurses, or the doctors were wearing any face covering. It was as if the virus didn't exist. I, on the other hand, was wearing a face shield. So, sadly, it's not just football fans we have to worry about.

That is insane. When I walk into any UIHC facility or Mercy hospital, I felt like I couldn't go anywhere without being asked the screening questions. Everyone had masks and shields.

Show me evidence that people will keep them on once passing by the permar people at the gates and I'll have hope there will be a season.

There will be maybe 15,000 allowed in. Mighty easy to patrol it even during the game.

In grocery store last evening and I would say majority now not wearing masks and quite a number who definitely would be in the at risk category not wearing one. Employees all were wearing.

Reactions: kceasthawk
There will be maybe 15,000 allowed in. Mighty easy to patrol it even during the game.
You will need a much higher police presence per capita than normal games as drunk Bubba and his wife Dorlene might get violent when you throw them out for not keeping their bandanna up. Also will authorities need to directly see you not wearing a mask, or can the tattle tale text method get you thrown out?

In grocery store last evening and I would say majority now not wearing masks and quite a number who definitely would be in the at risk category not wearing one. Employees all were wearing.
The regional differences in this are fascinating to me where I live greater than 95% of people are wearing masks in stores.

Reactions: dbrocket
The regional differences in this are fascinating to me where I live greater than 95% of people are wearing masks in stores.
They were here (North Liberty) for a long time, but the last month or more everyone seems to have decided they don't care anymore.

Reactions: ChrisVarick
Wear a mask if you want to go to games after tailgating without one while drinking and sharing food with your friends and family. It will be an interesting fall in Iowa City if there is a season, which I hope there is.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
This is all wishful thinking. With everything going on in TX, CA and FL we will be lucky to have college football without fans in the stands.

Reactions: BettDogs7
University can implement a 'tickets to be suspended if you don't wear a mask'. Make it part of the 2020 code of conduct or whatever. One can already text security for unruliness or other transgressions.

We'll have to have masks this year if we want to be in the stands, folks. Just the way it is.

And in 1918 health officials were boggled as to why the flu kept spreading even though everyone was masked up.

you know WW1 was happening in 1918 right? Government officials desperately needed to keep things running like normal in order to manufacture supplies the troops needed. Troops (and the virus they carried) were shipped across the world. The reason it is called the “Spanish flu” is because, since Spain was neutral in WW1, they were the first government that acknowledged its existence- so it got named the Spanish flu because the governments on both sides didn’t want to acknowledge that the flu was was as devastating as it was.

And we desperately need the economy running "normal" now as well....no less so than during WW1. Only 22% of the cost of that war came from taxation, and industry was not ramped up anywhere near the levels done during WW2. Today, we have literally sabotaged what was a booming economy through the kind of mass lockdowns that would have been inconceivable in 1918...and we are paying for the use of that blunt hammer. What was needed, was a scalpel. If we continue down this road, we may drive ourselves into a depression...something that one political party seems to be working hard to create (thinking they can undo it after they score a political win...a foolish and risky thing to do in pursuit of personal power).

University can implement a 'tickets to be suspended if you don't wear a mask'. Make it part of the 2020 code of conduct or whatever. One can already text security for unruliness or other transgressions.

We'll have to have masks this year if we want to be in the stands, folks. Just the way it is.
Great idea since only season ticket holders will be in. If you sell your tickets, the buyers are their responsibility and void tickets for remaining of year.

you know WW1 was happening in 1918 right? Government officials desperately needed to keep things running like normal in order to manufacture supplies the troops needed. Troops (and the virus they carried) were shipped across the world. The reason it is called the “Spanish flu” is because, since Spain was neutral in WW1, they were the first government that acknowledged its existence- so it got named the Spanish flu because the governments on both sides didn’t want to acknowledge that the flu was was as devastating as it was.

I don't think Woodrow Wilson hardly mentioned the virus if at all.

I work in stores as a sales rep merchandizing 5 days a week, and I'd say in KC its about 50/50. On the news last night they had a reporter stand outside a grocery and literally count for several hours in Oklahoma City, an area thats spiking now. 35% masked and 65% not. You just can't get through to some people......

I work in stores as a sales rep merchandizing 5 days a week, and I'd say in KC its about 50/50. On the news last night they had a reporter stand outside a grocery and literally count for several hours in Oklahoma City, an area thats spiking now. 35% masked and 65% not. You just can't get through to some people......

You see it in some elderly and at risk people. They have that mindset they made it this far through a lot of stuff, this virus ain't gonna get them.

Reactions: And1Hawk
You see it in some elderly and at risk people. They have that mindset they made it this far through a lot of stuff, this virus ain't gonna get them.
Unfortunately every time we do a risky behavior and don't have consequences, we reward that behavior and continue. The fact that you did not get sick from the first five times you went to the bar doesn't change your chances of getting sick on the sixth time.

You kick them out. If they get smart ass about it you give them a breathalyzer and slap a public intoxication on them if possible. Zero tolerance needs to be enforced or it will get sideways in a hurry.

I'll agree with you and give you a hearty "amen" … under 1 (a and b) condition:

1a - that you were equally as zealous about enforcing the rules when "peaceful protests" were taking place. If you were feverishly voicing your desire to see vandalisms, arsons, and assaults prosecuted in the same way you want to see the police be heavy handed in the punishment of those attending an Iowa game without a mask on … then I am 100% with your call for enforcement here.

1b - you demanded that all protesters practice social distancing and wear masks or be treated like the scum they are for not wearing a mask and staying 6 feet apart from each other and would be supportive of the police had they attempted to breathalyze each protester in an effort to slap on a public intox and/or disorderly conduct to their charges. You now, the same rhetoric you are partaking in here with people wanting to watch a football game in person.

If you did not do 1a and 1b, then you are nothing more than a biased hypocrite who picks and chooses when to apply the rules and when not to; thereby nullifying any truth to the feigned concern you have for public health.

And if you did do 1a and 1b, then my sincerest apologies. Through your ability to ignore all public commentary and make your own opinion, you have been a stalwart supporter of equal public safety measures and consequences.

Reactions: pmtdc and curleytop
And it should be and I will be happy to wear one if it means getting to go.

Indoor high school spirts need to do same. Zero tolerance.

they play football or they face cancelling and laying off almost everybody in athletic department.
Spirts?

I've been wearing a mask every where I go. My state has seen a rise in the last week. Our Governor made the call to require masks when going in buildings and at public gatherings. All this week I would say 50% of people are still not wearing masks. Minorities are greatly affected in my state making up nearly 50% of the new cases. The governor read a statement in Spanish today pleading for everyone to wear masks. The vast majority of minorities don't wear them. Most people in all walks of life I think just dont care. Doesn't matter if your white, black, latino, democrat or Republican, most just dont care. My very liberal co-worker and a few very liberal friends and neighbors dont wear them. Some conservative friends of mine dont wear them. Some on each side do and are pissed others won't. It's insane. I'm reserved to just looking out for my family and I.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
You can chose to lead your life in fear, or not. America was not built by the timid.
This isn't really the choice that is being presented. Asking someone to wear a mask is a perfectly reasonable request. It's akin to wearing a seatbelt while driving. It poses limited inconvenience to you and protects you and others.

ADVERTISEMENT