ADVERTISEMENT

Will Ferentz ever consistently beat Wisconsin?

ChuckThomas12

Team MVP
Jan 15, 2016
Western Iowa
The West Division should come down to us and them every year, but with the way we are recruiting (compared to them) will Ferentz ever get us over the hump?

Take a look at their class so far.. a few prospects I’d love to sign. That QB is a difference maker. Ours is lacking any legit offers. They seem to reload every year, even at the skill positions, which is something we haven’t been able to do. I just don’t think Ferentz will ever get it done on the field or recruiting trail. Not to mention others in the West that are picking up steam and building solid 2019 classes.

If we could topple the Badgers, it would pave the road for us to Indy...and provide momentum to build on.

Reactions: JoelBittner
Not too many teams have "consistently" beat Wisconsin the past 25 years.

In fact, Iowa's 4-game winning streak '02-'05 might be one of the longest in the B1G during the KF era.

I would guess that Iowa's difficulty with Wisconsin since '10 (1-5 record) is one thing that bothers KF more than just about anything, much like it does for the fan base. I really don't think Iowa is that far behind; despite your obvious frustration with Iowa's latest QB commit, Iowa and Wisky have had rather similar recruiting classes over the last several years.

I certainly think there is hope that Iowa could put up another string of wins against Wisky, which would likely lead to a few more trips to Indy. Those things are probably high on KF's list of things he wants to accomplish before he hangs it up.

Would be nice if it started this year.

The West Division should come down to us and them every year, but with the way we are recruiting (compared to them) will Ferentz ever get us over the hump?

Take a look at their class so far.. a few prospects I’d love to sign. That QB is a difference maker. Ours is lacking any legit offers. They seem to reload every year, even at the skill positions, which is something we haven’t been able to do. I just don’t think Ferentz will ever get it done on the field or recruiting trail. Not to mention others in the West that are picking up steam and building solid 2019 classes.

If we could topple the Badgers, it would pave the road for us to Indy...and provide momentum to build on.

Last year we finished tied for 3rd with Purdue. AND THAT WAS WITH OUR OFF-SEASON UPGRADE AT THE OC POSITION.

It should come down to us and Wisky every year, but history shows that has not been the case. Early in Kirk's tenure he seemed to grasp the importance of momentum. But . . .
2009? squandered it
2015? same thing
There's a weird correlation between signing one-sided contracts and shortly thereafter watching momentum transform into regression.
Barta of course hasn't seemed to notice that when the HC has a warming seat, magically Iowa starts doing better. When the seat cools, the reverse happens.

Last year we finished tied for 3rd with Purdue. AND THAT WAS WITH OUR OFF-SEASON UPGRADE AT THE OC POSITION.

It should come down to us and Wisky every year, but history shows that has not been the case. Early in Kirk's tenure he seemed to grasp the importance of momentum. But . . .
2009? squandered it
2015? same thing
There's a weird correlation between signing one-sided contracts and shortly thereafter watching momentum transform into regression.
Barta of course hasn't seemed to notice that when the HC has a warming seat, magically Iowa starts doing better. When the seat cools, the reverse happens.

Very true, good points. I think it reflects in recruiting efforts as well.

Very true, good points. I think it reflects in recruiting efforts as well.

Gracias.
I'm a little more forgiving in the recruiting area. Like everything it is a subjective area. I feel his program has produced it's fair share of stars and most years Iowa has the talent to at least place 2nd in the West.
My problem is with the people who don't want to measure Iowa programs based on wins/losses but on their own feelings of affection that are not dependent on results. There is quite the confusion between supporting the program and supporting what's best for the program.

images

Reactions: J_Heater and mrF6n6
I bet we see more than our fair share of wrinkles this coming year. Have to think Brian wants his lone blunder of the year to be flipped on its head. (Yes purdue probably counts too).

It’s tough to run on Wisco and you have to be able to shorten the game against them or the running game will eat you alive in due time. If we can find any consistency in the run game, I think we have a shot.

Wisconsins offensive presents more problems for our scheme than teams from the east because they excel at goal line offense. Which lest you forget, Iowa is playing for every possession. Obviously Phil wants the early stop when a team is backed up but the minute you get over the 50, Phil will back into his web. A smart scheme when you teach line control and tackling.

Reactions: Hawkdome
Wisconsin has been about par with Iowa the last 20 years.. the difference is Wisconsin got creative (and it worked) on defense and they have always had a great o-line and running backs since I can remember. Their defensive scheme will work but like the wishbone on offense.. the defensive minds of coaching found a way to stuff that.. and that’s why you rarely see those Oklahoma type offenses around anymore. But some one will crack that and figure it out, it’s not like the evolution of defense they discovered it’s something that works when it was installed by the coach Wilcox I believe? As time goes on and sooner than later the offensive minded coaches will crack that defense and the teams running that currently will abandon it. Now will this happen? Me doesn’t know but my bet is that someone will figure a way to disrupt that defense and then Wisconsin will be back to a traditional defense like it was 110 years before .

Bucky hard to beat right now. With all the coaching changes it is unreal what they have done. I really like their 3/4 defense. It is really quick and hard to run on. Plus their defense seems to really confuse our blocking schemes and get way to much pressure on our QB. Since 2010 anyway. I think this year we may have a chance with the injuries they have and the fact that we play them earlier in the year. We will need to go plus two or three in turnovers to win unless their running back gets dinged and misses the game.

Long term if they stay at their current level we will have to have a top 8 national team every year to beat them more than they beat us. So imho i dont see anyone named ferentz consistently beating wisc unless we get an unexpected surge in recruiting.
Is the next urban meyer out there somewhere ?

I am afraid at least on offense the next urban meyer may be named scott frost. But of course you have to play defense to.

Last edited:
Wisconsin has been about par with Iowa the last 20 years.. the difference is Wisconsin got creative (and it worked) on defense and they have always had a great o-line and running backs since I can remember. Their defensive scheme will work but like the wishbone on offense.. the defensive minds of coaching found a way to stuff that.. and that’s why you rarely see those Oklahoma type offenses around anymore. But some one will crack that and figure it out, it’s not like the evolution of defense they discovered it’s something that works when it was installed by the coach Wilcox I believe? As time goes on and sooner than later the offensive minded coaches will crack that defense and the teams running that currently will abandon it. Now will this happen? Me doesn’t know but my bet is that someone will figure a way to disrupt that defense and then Wisconsin will be back to a traditional defense like it was 110 years before .
Great point somebody will figure out how to block that scheme eventually. But why cant we invent something new every twenty years or so. For now it seems like only ohio state can block it. Unless they would have to play the badgers in kinnick. Lol

Last edited:
There is no perfect defensive or offensive scheme. The simple fact is KF & Co. have generally been out-coached by Wisconsin since the inexcusable fake punt in 2010. KF's stubborn streak has never been more clearly exposed than against Wisconsin. I'm hoping that will change starting on Sept. 22.

I think the transformation on beating Wisconsin is underway with how Iowa is building on TE talent, if you can block the edge with a tight end shifting out of double sets, and send another fast tight end out into the pattern you then force one of those 3-4 scheme linebackers into coverage, while D Backs are tied up with the Smith speed "brothers" on the outside you start the process of screwing up coverage in them being able to load up for blitzes on the run game. AKA OSU.. You saw that the coaches went out to New England for a few days, don't you think Bill may have had some advice for Brian on TE vs the 3-4. I remember the Steelers head coach saying last year, New Offenses or Defenses in the NFL work well for a while and then we figure them out, and then its on to the next new scheme. I'm confident that beating Whiskey is mission one, and this year at home it will happen.

There is no perfect defensive or offensive scheme. The simple fact is KF & Co. have generally been out-coached by Wisconsin since the inexcusable fake punt in 2010. KF's stubborn streak has never been more clearly exposed than against Wisconsin. I'm hoping that will change starting
I think the transformation on beating Wisconsin is underway with how Iowa is building on TE talent, if you can block the edge with a tight end shifting out of double sets, and send another fast tight end out into the pattern you then force one of those 3-4 scheme linebackers into coverage, while D Backs are tied up with the Smith speed "brothers" on the outside you start the process of screwing up coverage in them being able to load up for blitzes on the run game. AKA OSU.. You saw that the coaches went out to New England for a few days, don't you think Bill may have had some advice for Brian on TE vs the 3-4. I remember the Steelers head coach saying last year, New Offenses or Defenses in the NFL work well for a while and then we figure them out, and then its on to the next new scheme. I'm confident that beating Whiskey is mission one, and this year at home it will happen.

I hope you are right we need another west title. I thought BF went out there to explain to new england how to play better in the super bore. Ah i mean bowl

I won't argue the "20 years" part of your post as it is meant to imply Kirk has Iowa on par with Wisky.

But, since 2009 Iowa has had TWO double-digit win seasons.
Badgers have had SEVEN. In the last 3 . . .
Someone said on this board, "Badgers have a crummy QB holding them back."
Ya know what, if going 13-1 with an Orange Bowl victory is being held back, FOR GOODNESS SAKE KIRK PLEASE HOLD US BACK.

(we're no longer on par with Wisky)

Iowa has lost 5 of the last 6 to Wisconsin, beginning with the infamous 31-30 fake punt loss in Iowa City in 2010. But except for last year, the games have been close, and even last year Iowa--thanks to Josh Jackson--was still in the game late in the third quarter.

The scores:
2010: Wisconsin 31, Iowa 30 (No Iowa fan will ever forget that fake punt.)
2013: Wisconsin 28, Iowa 9 (It was 14-9 late in the 4th before Wisky scored a pair of TDs in the last six minutes. Iowa was in Wisky territory the entire first half, but the Ruddock-led "offense" could muster only a couple of FGs.)
2014: Wisconsin 26, Iowa 24 (another game Iowa could have/should have won)
2015: Iowa 10, Wisconsin 6
2016: Wisconsin 17, Iowa 9
2017: Wisconsin 38, Iowa 14 (Despite no offense at all, Iowa only trailed 17-14 until the Badgers returned an Iowa fumble 21 yards for a TD with about six minutes left in the third quarter to take a 24-14 lead. Josh Jackson's two pick sixes kept the Hawkeyes in the game longer than they deserved.)

BTW: Iowa beat Wisconsin 16 straight (there was one tie) from 1977 through 1996. Since then, Iowa has gone 7-12 vs. the Badgers. Overall, Wisconsin leads the series 46-43-2.

I bet we see more than our fair share of wrinkles this coming year. Have to think Brian wants his lone blunder of the year to be flipped on its head. (Yes purdue probably counts too).

It’s tough to run on Wisco and you have to be able to shorten the game against them or the running game will eat you alive in due time. If we can find any consistency in the run game, I think we have a shot.

Wisconsins offensive presents more problems for our scheme than teams from the east because they excel at goal line offense. Which lest you forget, Iowa is playing for every possession. Obviously Phil wants the early stop when a team is backed up but the minute you get over the 50, Phil will back into his web. A smart scheme when you teach line control and tackling.

I think turn overs are key against the Badgers. Iowa needs to not have them and force the Badgers to turn it over.

They are becoming a perennial top-10 team getting the beef from in-state and the skill from out. They are starting to recruit very well in the SE. They will dominate the West for quite a while unless Nebby comes to life.

Wisconsin is a great program. It is one Iowa should try to emulate.

I think the real question the OP is asking is ... can the NEXT coach do better than KF against Wisky?

BTW, why is it assumed that it should be Iowa & Wisky neck and neck for the division every year? I think Nebraska, Minnesota and NW all have something to say about that.

Those that believe that Iowa has cemented itself in the Top 2 positions in the West are bound to be disappointed in the next decade.

I think Nebraska, Minnesota and NW all have something to say about that.

Yeah, those fans are good at having something to say (esp. NE and MN), but last I checked only WI and IA have won the B1G West, so until some other schools start actually DOING instead of SAYING, the IA-WI winner is the presumed champ.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Ok, will people FINALLY agree with me that in the last decade Wisconsin is elite? If you don’t please point to the teams that are elite since 2008.

Point being, we bitch about not being able to beat a team (very often) the nobody else beats either.

Reactions: amahawk
Ok, will people FINALLY agree with me that in the last decade Wisconsin is elite? If you don’t please point to the teams that are elite since 2008.

Point being, we bitch about not being able to beat a team (very often) the nobody else beats either.

How did they get there? I have a feeling Barry didn't spend much time saying, "We're just lil ole Wisky". Cuz that type of thinking guarantees you'll never get there.

Last edited:
Are we seriously discussing whether we are on Wisconsin’s level or how we are not that far behind? All I can contribute to that discussion is the following: 66 TOTAL YARDS!!! There is a talent gap, a coaching gap, and 66 total yards is all the proof necessary.

I think we all wish those close games translated into end of year Top 25 rankings.

How did they get there? I have a feeling Barry didn't spend much time saying, "We're just lil ole Wisky". Cuz that type of thinking guarantees you'll never get there.

They play and coach really, really well. Not to oversimplify, they've done a better job than other programs in the West of maximizing their resources and talent to fit the program. I don't think any program in the West has an attitude of "we're little old [name program] and we can't win titles." But winning is a zero sum game. Someone has to take the Badgers off the top, they won't just move aside.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Are we seriously discussing whether we are on Wisconsin’s level or how we are not that far behind? All I can contribute to that discussion is the following: 66 TOTAL YARDS!!! There is a talent gap, a coaching gap, and 66 total yards is all the proof necessary.
well, if that were the case then there is a talent gap between Iowa and Ohio State, and apparently not in OSU's favor. LOL

They play and coach really, really well. Not to oversimplify, they've done a better job than other programs in the West of maximizing their resources and talent to fit the program. I don't think any program in the West has an attitude of "we're little old [name program] and we can't win titles." But winning is a zero sum game. Someone has to take the Badgers off the top, they won't just move aside.

I agree with the tone of this post.
Personally when Iowa loses to NDSU I want a coach who comes out and says to the press: "A loss like that is never acceptable here at Iowa."
Rather than, "You have to take into account they are an elite program."

Anyway, Iowa proved from 1977-96 they can elevate themselves above Wisconsin. Now all that needs to happen is for Iowa to hold on to the magic after seasons like 2015. Letting the momentum slip away is the difference between Wisky and Iowa. To their credit they maintain the momentum.

Personally when Iowa loses to NDSU I want a coach who comes out and says to the press: "A loss like that is never acceptable here at Iowa."

Anyway, Iowa proved from 1977-96 they can elevate themselves above Wisconsin. Now all that needs to happen is for Iowa to hold on to the magic after seasons like 2015. Letting the momentum slip away is the difference between Wisky and Iowa. To their credit they maintain the momentum.

We see it a bit differently but that's okay. I don't really care what the coach says after a loss. I care whether or not they won the game. It doesn't change things one bit if Ferentz says after losing to NDSU "that should never happen." NDSU has defeated plenty of other P5 teams, I don't know why it was out of the realm of possibility that NDSU won that game. They were less of an underdog to Iowa than Iowa was to Ohio State.

I also disagree that all that needs to happen for Iowa to dominate Wisconsin for 20 years is to hold on to momentum. Iowa was generally good from 77-96, but pretty much the same winning percentage then as between 2001 and today. The difference is Wisconsin generally sucked from 1977-96. Badgers had 8 winning seasons out of 20. One 10-win season (in 1993).

I am hopeful (but have no idea for sure) that KF has one more 3-year run in him similar to 2002-04. There is an opportunity for that to start this year, but Iowa needs to go do it and not just talk about it.

We see it a bit differently but that's okay. I don't really care what the coach says after a loss. I care whether or not they won the game. It doesn't change things one bit if Ferentz says after losing to NDSU "that should never happen." NDSU has defeated plenty of other P5 teams, I don't know why it was out of the realm of possibility that NDSU won that game. They were less of an underdog to Iowa than Iowa was to Ohio State.

I also disagree that all that needs to happen for Iowa to dominate Wisconsin for 20 years is to hold on to momentum. Iowa was generally good from 77-96, but pretty much the same winning percentage then as between 2001 and today. The difference is Wisconsin generally sucked from 1977-96. Badgers had 8 winning seasons out of 20. One 10-win season (in 1993).

I am hopeful (but have no idea for sure) that KF has one more 3-year run in him similar to 2002-04. There is an opportunity for that to start this year, but Iowa needs to go do it and not just talk about it.

I won't go into the weeds with my reply, suffice it to say this.
Quite often the debates boil down to: "Well yeah, they sucked when we dominated them."
My reply is: "Yeah they sucked, because we helped make them suck by holding their head underwater and not letting them come up for air."
Hayden's ability back in the day to win 3-4-5-6-7-etc in a row is what helped sink Northwestern - Wisky - Iowa State - etc. If Iowa had a losing record against those programs who knows whether they could've turned momentum more in their favor or how history would record their accomplishments.
The familiar description of the current program is they can beat anyone and lose to anyone.
With Hayden I felt like they could beat anyone, but they couldn't lose to anyone.
Anyway, I like Alvarez's style of getting results over Barta's, but that's for another day.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba

You must be one of those fans that just lost it when he had the “that’s football” quote. I really couldn’t care less what he says to the media after a loss. I care what he communicates to the team and staff the weeks following a loss.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I won't go into the weeds with my reply, suffice it to say this.
Quite often the debates boil down to: "Well yeah, they sucked when we dominated them."
My reply is: "Yeah they sucked, because we helped make them suck."
Hayden's ability back in the day to win 3-4-5-6-7-etc in a row is what helped sink Northwestern - Wisky - Iowa State - etc. If Iowa had a losing record against those programs who knows whether they could've turned momentum more in their favor or how history would record their accomplishments.
The familiar description of the current program is they can beat anyone and lose to anyone.
With Hayden I felt like they could beat anyone, but they couldn't lose to anyone.
Anyway, I like Alvarez's style of getting results over Barta's, but that's for another day.

Northwestern, Wisconsin and Iowa State weren't bad just because Hayden beat them. They were dreadful. Northwestern was one of the historically worst ever programs under Francis Peay and others. There was a long post by another poster that went through Hayden's entire history at Iowa highlighting his "bad" losses compared to KF's bad losses. And it was remarkably similar. Hayden lost at Tulsa. 1981 Rose Bowl season Iowa lost at home 12-10 to a 6-5 Minnesota team. And to 5-5-1 Iowa STate team. 1982 Iowa lost to Iowa State again (a 4-6-1 team) and to 3-8 Purdue. 1984 Iowa lost to 6-6 Michigan State and a 4-7 Minnesota team. 1985 Iowa was awesome. 1986 Iowa lost to 4-7 Illinois team. 1987 no bad losses. 1988 Iowa lost to Hawaii, tied a 6-5-1 MSU team. 1989 Iowa got blown out at home by a 8-4 Oregon team 44-6, and lost 43-7 at home to a 6-5 Minnesota team. 1990 hayden's last Rose Bowl team freaking lost to Minnesota (6-5 team) on the final day. 1991 no bad losses. 1992 Iowa lost to 2-9 Minnesota team and 4-7 Purdue team. 1993 Iowa loses to a 5-6 Illinois team by 49-3 score and to 6-6 MSU team. 1994 Iowa loses to 6-5 Indiana team. 1995 Iowa loses to 5-5-1 Illinois team. 1996 Iowa loses to 4-7 Tulsa team. 1997 no bad losses. 1998 Iowa loses to 3-8 Iowa State and 4-7 Indiana.
That is a lot of losses to mediocre/bad teams. And Hayden is still a Hall of Fame coach (and deservedly so). Hayden was awesome and deserves all the accolades he gets. The point is Hayden lost plenty of games to teams similar or worse to the Purdue team that Iowa/Ferentz lost to last year.
The reality of Iowa football over going on 40+ years now is a consistent level of success that is probably greater than what Iowa's natural talent level would dictate. But that does mean that Iowa can't step on the field and just beat teams because the talent gap is overwhelming. I wish that were different, but I also wish that I was 6-5 and could throw 95 miles per hour.
Don't disagree on Alvarez being better than Barta as an AD. That quite clearly is the case.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
There is no perfect defensive or offensive scheme. The simple fact is KF & Co. have generally been out-coached by Wisconsin since the inexcusable fake punt in 2010. KF's stubborn streak has never been more clearly exposed than against Wisconsin. I'm hoping that will change starting on Sept. 22.
Ugh. Not the friggin fake punt.
I think the majority of us in the stands could see it coming. Unfortunately, the ones on the Iowa sideline were inexplicably out to lunch.

Northwestern, Wisconsin and Iowa State weren't bad just because Hayden beat them. They were dreadful. Northwestern was one of the historically worst ever programs under Francis Peay and others. There was a long post by another poster that went through Hayden's entire history at Iowa highlighting his "bad" losses compared to KF's bad losses. And it was remarkably similar. Hayden lost at Tulsa. 1981 Rose Bowl season Iowa lost at home 12-10 to a 6-5 Minnesota team. And to 5-5-1 Iowa STate team. 1982 Iowa lost to Iowa State again (a 4-6-1 team) and to 3-8 Purdue. 1984 Iowa lost to 6-6 Michigan State and a 4-7 Minnesota team. 1985 Iowa was awesome. 1986 Iowa lost to 4-7 Illinois team. 1987 no bad losses. 1988 Iowa lost to Hawaii, tied a 6-5-1 MSU team. 1989 Iowa got blown out at home by a 8-4 Oregon team 44-6, and lost 43-7 at home to a 6-5 Minnesota team. 1990 hayden's last Rose Bowl team freaking lost to Minnesota (6-5 team) on the final day. 1991 no bad losses. 1992 Iowa lost to 2-9 Minnesota team and 4-7 Purdue team. 1993 Iowa loses to a 5-6 Illinois team by 49-3 score and to 6-6 MSU team. 1994 Iowa loses to 6-5 Indiana team. 1995 Iowa loses to 5-5-1 Illinois team. 1996 Iowa loses to 4-7 Tulsa team. 1997 no bad losses. 1998 Iowa loses to 3-8 Iowa State and 4-7 Indiana.
That is a lot of losses to mediocre/bad teams. And Hayden is still a Hall of Fame coach (and deservedly so). Hayden was awesome and deserves all the accolades he gets. The point is Hayden lost plenty of games to teams similar or worse to the Purdue team that Iowa/Ferentz lost to last year.
The reality of Iowa football over going on 40+ years now is a consistent level of success that is probably greater than what Iowa's natural talent level would dictate. But that does mean that Iowa can't step on the field and just beat teams because the talent gap is overwhelming. I wish that were different, but I also wish that I was 6-5 and could throw 95 miles per hour.
Don't disagree on Alvarez being better than Barta as an AD. That quite clearly is the case.

I was hoping to avoid the weeds. And I'll agree up front HF and KF have remarkably similar records. But to me that means HF built something from nothing, and KF wasn't able to build on something and make it better, just kept it the same.
I also know that subjectivity governs all these debates.
I say Hayden played a tougher OOC - someone replies the conference is tougher.
I say Hayden said "I'll punch the first person in the mouth who smiles after a loss." - someone replies they value GQs College Prom Coach of the year award more than end-of-season rankings.
I think Barta has his standards given to him by his employee.
I think KF has done a masterful job of reversing the mindset created by Hayden Fry. A mindset which didn't tolerate excuses.
To me the reality is that Iowa used to win more than Wisky and now Wisky wins more than Iowa. I think that happened for the simplest of reasons. 7 wins doesn't give Barry a boner.

Everyone has the right to state his facts and opinions on this board. I can't wait until Iowa loses a couple of games this year. So much bitching and moaning now, what will it be like in three months. Let's get rid of Barta and Ferentz. :( Oh, that's the opinion now...

ADVERTISEMENT