ADVERTISEMENT

Will Fran Actully start the Murray Twins on Monday @ PSU?

Will the Murray Twins start together for the first time this season?

• Yes

• No

• When hell freezes over

Results are only viewable after voting.
NO. Of course not. Fran and KF are too of the most stubborn head coaches I've ever come across. Once they decide something, like a starting QB or a starting lineup, it doesn't matter what happens, they will not change--barring major injury. So again, no, Fran won't change anything, although he definitely, obviously should. But I would:

Can't shoot threes? Struggling to rebound and play D? Change the starting lineup and give at least 30 minutes each to the following five:

Keegan
PMac
Kris
Joe T
Sandfort

Problems addressed the best way they can be with the current roster. Bench, in order:

Perkins, Rabraca, UIis, JBo (depends on matchups), Josh O, CMac

But hey, like some of you have said, I basically don't give a damn anymore. I watch, but when the wrong people are playing and the wrong strategy is applied, I expect it. I've seen it a million times before in Iowa City. Just watch: the older ya get, the more ya realize none of this BS matters. At best it's a diversion. Take it for what it is and, as the song says, let it go. There's nothing any of us can do about it beyond posting on a message board.

Last edited:
NO. Of course not. Fran and KF are too of the most stubborn head coaches I've ever come across. Once they decide something, like a starting QB or a starting lineup, it doesn't matter what happens, they will not change--barring major injury. So again, no, Fran won't change anything, although he definitely, obviously should. But I would:

Can't shoot threes? Struggling to rebound and play D? Change the starting lineup and give at least 30 minutes each to the following five:

Keegan
PMac
Kris
Joe T
Sandfort

Problems addressed the best way they can be with the current roster. Bench, in order:

But hey, like some of you have said, I basically don't give a damn anymore. I watch, but when the wrong people are playing and the wrong strategy is applied, I expect it. I've seen it a million times before in Iowa City. Just watch: the older ya get, the more ya realize none of this BS matters. At best it's a diversion. Take it for what it is and, as the song says, let it go. There's nothing any of us can do about it beyond posting on a message board.
If its possible to be more stubborn than Kirk Ferentz, Fran is your guy.

Nothing changes with Fran.

Results don't matter with him.

Its about giving the made men (Jbo/Connor)what they need to feel good.

He rode them to a shity finish last year and you better believe he will do it again.
a 6th yr in college BB has eroded JoBo‘s want too, he’s not the player he once was, and Fran giving him and Connor 40 minutes combined minutes) will be putting a lid on this teams ceiling.

= another year of player-use coaching blunders

Starting is fine but minutes on the floor is what matters.
Our center hurt his ankle vs PU...his minutes might drop.
Find a way to win the damn game.
The obsessive disdain for Fran and KF with some fans is unfortunate.
It results in some fans rooting against the FB and BB teams.
That is the tail wagging the dog.

Keegan
PMac
Kris
Joe T
Sandfort

I switched to rooting for individuals on the team. Like Garza the years before and now the Murray's.
It makes all the losing more enjoyable.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

Keegan
PMac
Kris
Joe T
Sandfort

I think Rebraka and JT have been our 3rd best players behind the Murrays. I would start Rebraka with both Murrays. Sandfort should get JBO and Cmac minutes. Pmac should be 15 minutes so he can put more energy into defense and rebounds. He doesn't have the gas tank for 30 minutes without coasting on one end.

Starting is fine but minutes on the floor is what matters.
Our center hurt his ankle vs PU...his minutes might drop.
Find a way to win the damn game.
The obsessive disdain for Fran and KF with some fans is unfortunate.
It results in some fans rooting against the FB and BB teams.
That is the tail wagging the dog.
I see people on here make this comment all of the time that it's the minutes that matter, not whether the player starts. The fact of the matter is that when it comes to Fran's game management it is a distinction without a difference. The only way for a reserve player to get 25 minutes in Fran's system is for a starter to get injured or in foul trouble. It might happen in games here and there but it will never average out over the course of the season.

I think Rebraka and JT have been our 3rd best players behind the Murrays. I would start Rebraka with both Murrays. Sandfort should get JBO and Cmac minutes. Pmac should be 15 minutes so he can put more energy into defense and rebounds. He doesn't have the gas tank for 30 minutes without coasting on one end.
I agree with most of this. The only issue with Rebraca is that he operates pretty much exclusively around the basket offensively which can clog the middle. Things opened up offensively last game when Rebraca came out and the Purdue centers struggled guarding Kris away from the basket. It also pulled them away from the basket providing offensive rebounding opportunities. You saw the opposite effect when Cmac was in the game and the Purdue center stopped guarding any one at all and dropped into the lane. This won't necessarily be as effective in every game but it was the best strategy in a game where we were overmatched at the center position and needed to make them pay at the other end with an obvious mismatch.

Last edited:
Reactions: acuhawk
I see people on here make this comment all of the time that it's the minutes that matter, not whether the player starts. The fact of the matter is that when it comes to Fran's game management it is a distinction without a difference. The only way for a reserve player to get 25 minutes in Fran's system is for a starter to get injured or in foul trouble. It might happen in games here and there but it will never average out over the course of the season.
Fair point.
I guess if I was creating this thread
I would have dispensed with the "starter" angle and asked about Kris's minutes.
I hope Fran alters his rotations to get Kris on the floor more..as.well as JoeT , Perk and Josh.

I think he will. Kris needs to be rewarded.
It's not about rewarding people in my mind. That's what Fran thinks he's doing every time he puts Jbo out there for 30 and Cmac out there for 14. He's rewarding them for the hard work and loyalty they've shown him over the years. This can't be about rewarding people anymore. That's what's turning the fan base against him. It's big time college basketball and the only thing that should be driving decisions on playing time is the on court performance regardless of seniority or family ties. I understand why Fran does it but it's not working anymore. Fans see it and everyone on the team sees it as well.

Keegan
PMac
Kris
Joe T
Sandfort

This is pretty much what I want to see as well, good post. Sandfort has played better than Bohannon this year.

It's not about rewarding people in my mind. That's what Fran thinks he's doing every time he puts Jbo out there for 30 and Cmac out there for 14. He's rewarding them for the hard work and loyalty they've shown him over the years. This can't be about rewarding people anymore. That's what's turning the fan base against him. It's big time college basketball and the only thing that should be driving decisions on playing time is the on court performance regardless of seniority or family ties. I understand why Fran does it but it's not working anymore. Fans see it and everyone on the team sees it as well.
Kris needs to be rewarded for his results, not his effort. Play the kid!

When is the last time that Fran adjusted his starting lineup mid-season which wasnt because of an injury?

Connor and JBo are the problem with this team and our coach, who based on his education is supposedly a pretty bright man, is clearly not thinking logically therefore I expect them to play MORE minutes down the stretch.

Keegan
PMac
Kris
Joe T
Sandfort

Of course. Leave it too you to throw KF into the discussion when he has nothing to do with the OP's statement or topic. Way to at least be consistent though......

No chance. Fran established his starting 5 at the beginning of the season and there will be no changes barring someone is in a cast. I believe we are up to 4 games in a row where Fran has said Sandfort should have played more. Fran could screw up the Fab 5.
Lol, Fran would never start freshman over upperclassmen.

Every post game it'd be "I need to play Webber more."

Reactions: Bee93
The fact is that “who starts” is EXTREMELY important, especially since it feels like we are constantly playing from behind in the first half. We need to put our best foot forward out of the gate, not wait for (example) Purdue’s big men to start abusing Rebraca or for the opposing team to get hot from behind the arc and let it keep rolling to halftime and beyond

Our starting lineups should be fluid based on matchups and game strategy, especially since we aren’t currently good enough to force better teams to adjust to us

The fact is that “who starts” is EXTREMELY important, especially since it feels like we are constantly playing from behind in the first half. We need to put our best foot forward out of the gate, not wait for (example) Purdue’s big men to start abusing Rebraca or for the opposing team to get hot from behind the arc and let it keep rolling to halftime and beyond

Our starting lineups should be fluid based on matchups and game strategy, especially since we aren’t currently good enough to force better teams to adjust to us
I think Iowa could force teams to adjust to them by making their centers defend Kris.

Theres a reason Painter didn't play Eddy much in the second half.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT