ADVERTISEMENT

Will Hawthorne - Gilbert Tigers

BVHawkeye

HB Legend
Jan 6, 2003
First, I admit I’m somewhat biased because my sophomore grandson starts at DE and play quite a few snaps on offense. However, I’m also a former high school football coach and a 35-year Hawkeye fan so I do have some idea what it takes to be a good football player.

Will is a junior and is 6’2” and 230 lbs. Not a noticeable ounce of fat on him. He plays middle linebacker and several backfield spots. Lines up at TE at time too.

I’ve watch three games this year and one last year. Gilbert is now ranked 7th after playing Dallas Center-Grines, Carroll, and Mason City. Will was the best player on the field in those games. He has nice size, speed, and strength. IMHO he is a solid D1 prospect.

We are here in ISU’s backyard and I’m betting they are hoping no one notices him. Just thought I’d throw his name out there as a change of paces topic. He fits the Iowa mold of a good kid, talented, hard worker, and a leader on and off the field.

Sounds like a Reece Morgan special. Reece is gone but Iowa is still very good at identifying under the radar prospects.

Practically impossible that Iowa would be unaware of him if he is a solid D1 in-state prospect as you stated. I’d watch to see if he camps at Iowa.

First, I admit I’m somewhat biased because my sophomore grandson starts at DE and play quite a few snaps on offense. However, I’m also a former high school football coach and a 35-year Hawkeye fan so I do have some idea what it takes to be a good football player.

Will is a junior and is 6’2” and 230 lbs. Not a noticeable ounce of fat on him. He plays middle linebacker and several backfield spots. Lines up at TE at time too.

I’ve watch three games this year and one last year. Gilbert is now ranked 7th after playing Dallas Center-Grines, Carroll, and Mason City. Will was the best player on the field in those games. He has nice size, speed, and strength. IMHO he is a solid D1 prospect.

We are here in ISU’s backyard and I’m betting they are hoping no one notices him. Just thought I’d throw his name out there as a change of paces topic. He fits the Iowa mold of a good kid, talented, hard worker, and a leader on and off the field.

Per rivals… he has visited. Iowa once and Iowa State twice.

Have him camp at iowa and send video of him into the recruiting office…Tyler Barnes if I am not mistaken.

Most importantly... does he like Iowa or Iowa St.?

I really don't know the answer to his favorite. He is just a solid football player. Gilbert's football program has not been very good so this is a good sign. My grandson is 6'0" and 215 with size 15 shoes. He is only 15 years old. My daughter is 5'11" and my son-in-law is 6'4" and 270 lbs. He walked on and played for ISU during the Seneca Wallace days. I know, we are a split family. My two boys are die-hard hawk fans and my daughter's family ISU fans.

Gilbert has 20 sophomores, 17 juniors, and only 11 seniors. The DL starts three sophomores and all the skill positions are sophomores or juniors. It's been fun to watch the program get better.

Reactions: EBL#7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT