ADVERTISEMENT

Will Illinois State be #1...

OldTownPepe

All-Conference
Feb 9, 2015
in FCS after Montana beat #1 North Dakota State yesterday? Maybe Iowa's schedule just got a little tougher than some thought.

No disrespect intended but how is North Dakota State losing relevant to how good Illinois State is?. I'm pretty sure that even with " Mac Recruits) Iowa still has superior talent.

I believe a BIG team even a middling one as many on here believe should still win handily. If this was a fecicous statement I apologize for my idiotic response.

Illinois State has to beat Iowa. The next rankings don't come out until next week.

No disrespect intended but how is North Dakota State losing relevant to how good Illinois State is?. I'm pretty sure that even with " Mac Recruits) Iowa still has superior talent.

I believe a BIG team even a middling one as many on here believe should still win handily. If this was a fecicous statement I apologize for my idiotic response.

Win handily like our last couple games against FCS Northern Iowa?

Reactions: BuckRussel
Win handily like our last couple games against FCS Northern Iowa?

My point is it is still a FCS school with lower level talent against a power five team. Iowa may not recruit like Ohio State or Michigan but I guarantee the have higher rated recruits than a lower level FCS school(even a very good one).

If you were a recruit who would you rather play for? While Ferentz is no Saban or Meyer I guarantee his words have more sway than Illinois States coach.

Their defensive coordinator has to be licking his chops getting to face our Oline. Hopefully CJ can buy some time and make plays.

Reactions: hawkfans57
Doesn't Illinois state only return their running back and two O-linemen from last year's team. They return their qb but will likely have a new one starting. I am really not sure why everyone is so intimidated. This year's red bird team will not be like last year's. They have way more inexperience than Iowa does up front.

Doesn't Illinois state only return their running back and two O-linemen from last year's team. They return their qb but will likely have a new one starting. I am really not sure why everyone is so intimidated. This year's red bird team will not be like last year's. They have way more inexperience than Iowa does up front.

QB, RB, LG, C and a part-time WR, who was third leading WR. Top two WR and TE, who Chiefs drafted in fifth round are gone. STs were suspect at times last year. New secondary for Redbirds.

The Redbirds have some depth though. Strength in defense is at DE and with smaller LBs, to stop spread teams?

Should be a good opener for Iowa. Iowa needs to force turnovers, execute on special teams, play good defense and win explosive plays game

ON IOWA

My point is it is still a FCS school with lower level talent against a power five team. Iowa may not recruit like Ohio State or Michigan but I guarantee the have higher rated recruits than a lower level FCS school(even a very good one).

If you were a recruit who would you rather play for? While Ferentz is no Saban or Meyer I guarantee his words have more sway than Illinois States coach.

So, with this disparity of talent that you apparently see, why would the Hawkeyes have troubles with the obviously less talented FCS folks from Cedar Falls?

Why wouldn't their QB play? Is runner up not good enough?

I'm most concerned about the Iowa oline vs the ISU Dline. If it get neutralized it could make for a much longer day.

Why wouldn't their QB play? Is runner up not good enough?

I'm most concerned about the Iowa oline vs the ISU Dline. If it get neutralized it could make for a much longer day.

I think they have a new transfer Trey Roberson or something. I think he was Indiana's old qb. I could be wrong about all this but I read that they are not sure who will start. I think it will be the new transfer

I think they have a new transfer Trey Roberson or something. I think he was Indiana's old qb. I could be wrong about all this but I read that they are not sure who will start. I think it will be the new transfer

I apologize if you were being sarcastic, but they had Roberson last year. He is the returning starter, and they are sure he is the starter this year. There is no debate.

I apologize if you were being sarcastic, but they had Roberson last year. He is the returning starter, and they are sure he is the starter this year. There is no debate.

oh don't apologize, I thought he was new this year. I was wrong. But I will not apologize because it's Illinois State and they shouldn't deserve a second thought from hawkeye fans competitively. Unfortunately, that might not be reality this year

Illinois State hasn't reached the level of North Dakota State or Northern Iowa, with a resume of Power 5 opponents they have beat.

Will Iowa be the first Power 5 kill for Illinois State?

We shall see. Ball State took them out in 2013 nicely in the opener. Of course, they didn't have Tre Roberson in 2013. He was still at IU.

I am not sold that Illinois State is #2 in the FCS quite yet. The fell off after a FCS Playoff birth in 2012. They still have 11 new starters.

We shall see ...

I watched the game Montana vs. NDSU and the lack of size and speed was very noticeable to me. We shouldn't loose to any FCS team period.

Reactions: sloehawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT