ADVERTISEMENT

Will Iowa get past ISU this year?

ghostOfHomer777

HR Heisman
May 20, 2014
While I don't like Indiana's football coach ... the guy has obviously done a good job with their program. All the same ... I think that game is AT WORST a 50-50 game for the Hawks.

However, the next game ... is the heated rivalry game AT Jack Trice! The last time we were there ... they sliced through our D like a hot knife through butter (9.3 yards per pass play ... and 4.8 yards per rush). Fortunately, for the most part, the D only bent ... but did not break.

This year though ... ISU is bringing SO MUCH back ... hoping to make a play at a really special season for that program. Will the Hawks again play the role of the matador and thwart them ... or will the Cyclones prove too much?

If history is any indicator ... what has historically hurt the Hawks against the Cyclones is overlooking them ... however, this really should not be an issue. Right now ... I still probably view this game as a 33.3-66.7 scenario ... favoring the Cyclones. Am I wrong? If so ... why?

While I don't like Indiana's football coach ... the guy has obviously done a good job with their program. All the same ... I think that game is AT WORST a 50-50 game for the Hawks.

However, the next game ... is the heated rivalry game AT Jack Trice! The last time we were there ... they sliced through our D like a hot knife through butter (9.3 yards per pass play ... and 4.8 yards per rush). Fortunately, for the most part, the D only bent ... but did not break.

This year though ... ISU is bringing SO MUCH back ... hoping to make a play at a really special season for that program. Will the Hawks again play the role of the matador and thwart them ... or will the Cyclones prove too much?

If history is any indicator ... what has historically hurt the Hawks against the Cyclones is overlooking them ... however, this really should not be an issue. Right now ... I still probably view this game as a 33.3-66.7 scenario ... favoring the Cyclones. Am I wrong? If so ... why?
I’d say ISU has the advantage this year. But they will go back to their normal selves after all of their starters leave after this upcoming season.

Reactions: Bill_Callahan2.0
Hell of a start to the season! I think it’s more likely we lose to Indiana than ISU. No excuses this year, if we’re not ready game one, we could easily start 0-2 again this year, both games are huge! I still think ISU was/is overrated.

It’s easy to buy into the ISU hype train. In their most hyped season in program history they went 9-3 and lost to LA Lafayette. Now, this coming year will be even more hyped than the last, and here we are, debating whether ISU and Matt Campbell in their most hyped season EVER, can even beat Iowa.

Hawks lose to Clown Town U. This is their year to capture lightning in a bottle with such a veteran starting lineup. They are due to beat Iowa in Campbell’s 6th year. However as has been stated it’s back to Iowa domination next year and in the following millinea. Clown U under Campbell is not recruiting to the level to sustain their ‘ once in a generation glory year’. They will win and will be the better team this year. Then it’s back to normal. The claims of being a ‘ Football School ‘ will fade into the memories of humanity like the Anastazi of the ancient past.

I think it will be a ball game.. Campbell I think can challenge hall.. the rest will falo

Hawks lose to Clown Town U. This is their year to capture lightning in a bottle with such a veteran starting lineup. They are due to beat Iowa in Campbell’s 6th year. However as has been stated it’s back to Iowa domination next year and in the following millinea. Clown U under Campbell is not recruiting to the level to sustain their ‘ once in a generation glory year’. They will win and will be the better team this year. Then it’s back to normal. The claims of being a ‘ Football School ‘ will fade into the memories of humanity like the Anastazi of the ancient past.

Make a lot of great points. They better this year because seems like all their eggs are the basket for this season. Pressure is all on them. Because they'll be breaking in a lot of new starters come 22' and looking at Iowa's depth chart yesterday we will be returning lot of guys. For all of the talk this past off season I didn't expect Campbell to leave. He knew what he had and was smart enough to stick around and make a run with their squad next year before the likes of Hall and Purdy leave and see what top jobs are available after the season. Even if there isn't a job that intrigues him he's built up enough credibility where he stays for 22' even if they fall back record wise he should still be fine for a good job with his resume. But the first time in ages all the pressure will be on ISU for the game this year.

C'mon, guys. You haven't been following Iowa football for very long. You should be familiar with the "Iowa way" by now:

Start season beating Indiana and Iowa State, start 6-0, ranked in top 10, hype up the wazoo....then the losing streak to unranked Purdue, #22 Wisky and unranked Northwestern...season over.

OK, Hawks, prove me wrong.

But last year was the "start 0-2 and the world is going to end, only to rally and win everything" model.

I think the IU game will be more important to the staff- feel like we will be ready to roll for that one. As for ISU, I think the pressure will be on them from the start of next season with their high expectations. Might end up looking like our 2010. Iowa should go into that game loose and hopefully off of a win.

Make a lot of great points. They better this year because seems like all their eggs are the basket for this season. Pressure is all on them. Because they'll be breaking in a lot of new starters come 22' and looking at Iowa's depth chart yesterday we will be returning lot of guys. For all of the talk this past off season I didn't expect Campbell to leave. He knew what he had and was smart enough to stick around and make a run with their squad next year before the likes of Hall and Purdy leave and see what top jobs are available after the season. Even if there isn't a job that intrigues him he's built up enough credibility where he stays for 22' even if they fall back record wise he should still be fine for a good job with his resume. But the first time in ages all the pressure will be on ISU for the game this year.
While Purdy is a decent QB - I don’t recall him doing much against Iowa. Seems like he has happy feet back in the pocket when he plays the Hawks. Heck, didn’t he trip himself a couple times in last year’s game?

I think that ISU game with be 50/50. Our Defense could be nasty. And I think our DL steps up. Our secondary and LBs will be the toughest unit they will face all year and in the last 2 years.
I'm a little split ... the prior 2 times Purdy faced Iowa's D ... Iowa had been particularly strong on the DL ... however there had been susceptibilities in the back 7.

In '18 - Hawks were breaking in all-new LBs and were were rather unsettled at CB (issues with Rugamba, etc). Safety and CASH play were quite strong that year.

In '19 - Hawks were young at the CASH spot ... DJ Johnson didn't work at the spot early on ... so Belton seized the opportunity [good player ... but really young/inexperienced]. Koerner's first year starting ... so some growing pains there. Lastly, LB play remained somewhat uneven/inconsistent.

For the coming '21 season, the DL is probably "good" ... but it's still far from clear about how "good." However, the LB-play looks poised to be the best its been in years. The safety play has settled ... with talent AND depth. The CASH play is settled. After the run of CBs we had with King and Jackson ... I think we started to expect a "star" to emerge near every year ... and instead I anticipate that the CB play will just be "strong." However, given the development of Ojemudia ... hopefully that is a sign that we'll see continued improvement from both Moss and Hankins.

So maybe, just maybe, Purdy won't carve us up like he had in the past ... however, given the "newness" on the DL ... hopefully we can slow down their running game. ISU's Hall is a stud running back. The guy has vision and runs with great strength and balance. ... control those gaps and have our LBs clean it up!

As for our O versus their D ... ? Who knows?

I think the IU game will be more important to the staff- feel like we will be ready to roll for that one. As for ISU, I think the pressure will be on them from the start of next season with their high expectations. Might end up looking like our 2010. Iowa should go into that game loose and hopefully off of a win.
Without a doubt the IU game will be prioritized ... because winning the conference is always one of the initial goals set. It's hard to win the conference if you lose your first conference game!

In many respects the IU game will be good prep for the ISU game ... despite being different schematically ... just the fact that both Os are capable of being pretty balanced can put a lot of strain on the D. IU is maybe a bit more pass-happy ... but they do make a concerted effort to run the ball.

Should be a tough and interesting way to start the season ...

Reactions: hexumhawk
I think ISU wins this one unless Petras is vastly improved. I worry about the DL in the run game that early in the season with not only a lot of new faces but young faces. I think Indiana is the mores likely win in the first two games.
Agreed. Although if Campbell can't win this year against us with 20/22 returning starters/mostly seniors while we're breaking in new coaches, a new DL, a bad QB, etc. then I don't know if he ever will.

While Purdy is a decent QB - I don’t recall him doing much against Iowa. Seems like he has happy feet back in the pocket when he plays the Hawks. Heck, didn’t he trip himself a couple times in last year’s game?
When Parker changed things up and brought pressure in the 2nd half of the game in 2019 Purdy really didn’t do much. I think the Hawks will do what we do and probably go in with the same game plan as Louisiana did. Play sound defense and force isu to be patient and then beat them soundly with special teams. On offense don’t do anything crazy and be consistent so that when the 4th quarter comes around they really feel the pressure. Then a mistake or two and the Hawks can win. What we need to avoid is getting down 14 points or more right away.

When Parker changed things up and brought pressure in the 2nd half of the game in 2019 Purdy really didn’t do much. I think the Hawks will do what we do and probably go in with the same game plan as Louisiana did. Play sound defense and force isu to be patient and then beat them soundly with special teams. On offense don’t do anything crazy and be consistent so that when the 4th quarter comes around they really feel the pressure. Then a mistake or two and the Hawks can win. What we need to avoid is getting down 14 points or more right away.
Lousiana played an really aggressively against ISU and that is where Purdy struggled. They had really quick and fast DBs and played tight man coverage on ISU's wide receivers which forced Purdy to through it in to tight windows. That isn't how Iowa generally plays.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
Lousiana played an really aggressively against ISU and that is where Purdy struggled. They had really quick and fast DBs and played tight man coverage on ISU's wide receivers which forced Purdy to through it in to tight windows. That isn't how Iowa generally plays.
No but they also played the run straight up as well and forced isu into being patient. Where Hall does his damage isn’t in the 2-4 yard runs it is when the defense over pursues and he breaks off a 70 yard gain that would have been 5 or less with discipline.

Do not like this schedule. I can't recall seeing a Hawkeye team execute well in the first game of the season, unless it was a really bad team.

If Petris has a couple of 12-25, 160 yd games, the Hawks could be looking at 0-2.

If he has a start like that there should be a change.

Reactions: iafan44

Correct. You confuse him and put pressure on him, he throws like a 6th grader with the recess bell about to to ring and make him go back inside.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
From what I saw out of isu last fall it appears they are trying to be the Iowa/Wisconsin of the Big 12. Run heavy and then play action pass with the TE and take deep shots every once in a while. It will be interesting to see if they can do this at a level to beat the Hawks at their own game.

If he has a start like that there should be a change.
Agreed. I think he showed enough improvement last year to earn a shot at keeping the job unless someone behind him has an unreal spring and fall.

I think ISU wins this one unless Petras is vastly improved. I worry about the DL in the run game that early in the season with not only a lot of new faces but young faces. I think Indiana is the more likely win in the first two games.
I share many of the same concerns regarding defending the run ...

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Wadley and ISM had a ball against isu beginning quite early in their careers. Both of them no doubt feature in campbell's worst nightmares. I'm hoping another young star emerges for Iowa to keep such a streak going. Surely Petras is due to have a 300+ yard game one of these days, maybe it happens against isu and rides the back of a new wr nobody was expecting to flash so early. That said, the worst thing that happened to isu with respect to this series is BF.

This is gonna be a tough game. Which is why we watch football.

I wonder what ISU's excuse will be after this loss.
The Indiana game is rumored to be a Fri night game, so if Iowa has an extra 1/2 day to prepare....there you go.

Just going to leave this here....
EqualMilkyBunting-max-1mb.gif

ADVERTISEMENT