ADVERTISEMENT

Will Iowa get past ISU this year?

LOL, LOL! Seriously, Iowa is in decline. Please keep fueling your delusion. IF, the clowns win in Sept, IF, it will be short lived in the series. Iowa has stepped up recruiting the last several years and you have some serious butt kicking coming in the next few years.....
I think it's as silly to say Iowa is in decline as it is to say ISU is not in ascent.

I think it's as silly to say Iowa is in decline as it is to say ISU is not in ascent.
I don't disagree that they are, but now they face the same issues that Iowa has faced the last 40 years. Ascending to what? A leveling off? Is there a ceiling? My guess is that they'll have some good years and some not so good. They certainly face many if not even more of the same challenges that Iowa does, but Iowa has shown an ability to consistently stay in that 8 or 9 win area for the most part. We'll see what the Clones do over a couple of 3 or 4 year recruiting cycles. It also appears that Iowa's recruiting in the last several classes has been better. We'll see what ISU looks like in 2022 and 2023, or if their "Ascent" was simply a spike.......

Iowa State will field a good team in 2021. So will Iowa. The game will be decided by who makes the least mistakes. The biggest question is, how long will ISU keep Campbell? If the clones have the year they seem to think, he'll be highly sought after.

Iowa State will field a good team in 2021. So will Iowa. The game will be decided by who makes the least mistakes. The biggest question is, how long will ISU keep Campbell? If the clones have the year they seem to think, he'll be highly sought after.
And he is not highly sought now?

I'm old and just my opinion, but I think if Earle Bruce had stayed at ISU they would have won a Big 8 title and gone to the Orange Bowl. At least once. And yes those were the Oklahoma-Nebraska years, with Missouri and Colorado in the picture as spoilers.

The Clones need to keep Campbell. Otherwise it could be like the post-Bruce years (decades).

I'm old and just my opinion, but I think if Earle Bruce had stayed at ISU they would have won a Big 8 title and gone to the Orange Bowl. At least once. And yes those were the Oklahoma-Nebraska years, with Missouri and Colorado in the picture as spoilers.

The Clones need to keep Campbell. Otherwise it could be like the post-Bruce years (decades).
I agree with you about Bruce. He left the cupboard crammed full of really good talent, which Donnie Duncan proceeded to fritter away before Jim Criner stabbed the program in the heart and left it twitching on the floor.

Bruce had the upper hand for in-state recruiting and an Iowa Poll in 1977 showed more Iowans considered themselves ISU football fans than Iowa football fans. I'm sure Hayden's arrival would have had a major effect on that, but I don't think he would have beaten Bruce teams 15 years in a row.

My biggest complaint about Bruce was that in big games he sometimes tended to get very conservative. He did the same thing at Ohio State. He was a good coach and recruiter, though.

Ironically, a lot of people were happy to see him go. The mantra was that the new coach would take things to the next higher level. Exactly the same stuff we heard from Iowa fans when Tom Davis was let go.

I agree with you about Bruce. He left the cupboard crammed full of really good talent, which Donnie Duncan proceeded to fritter away before Jim Criner stabbed the program in the heart and left it twitching on the floor.

Bruce had the upper hand for in-state recruiting and an Iowa Poll in 1977 showed more Iowans considered themselves ISU football fans than Iowa football fans. I'm sure Hayden's arrival would have had a major effect on that, but I don't think he would have beaten Bruce teams 15 years in a row.

My biggest complaint about Bruce was that in big games he sometimes tended to get very conservative. He did the same thing at Ohio State. He was a good coach and recruiter, though.

Ironically, a lot of people were happy to see him go. The mantra was that the new coach would take things to the next higher level. Exactly the same stuff we heard from Iowa fans when Tom Davis was let go.
Absolutely. Bruce had some pretty good teams in the late 70's. My old high school QB, Terry Rubley and Dexter Green had the clones in the Peach Bowl in Atlanta. Was fun watching Dwayne Crutchfield in his tear away jerseys, (ISU's version of Nick Bell). All down hill from there at least until they hired Danny Mac, who at least had them respectable....

I wiki'd Criner just to bring back memories........ did he really get caught giving cash, etc? The first Iowa / Iowa State game I attended was in Ames in '85, so I did get to see a good old Criner coached game.

Iowa State[edit]​

Following the 1982 season at BSU, Criner became the 27th head coach at Iowa State University of the Big Eight Conference.[11][12][13] He had a five-year contract for $58,000 annually,[11][12] but lasted only four seasons (19831986) in Ames. His record with the Cyclones was 9–17–2 (.357) in conference and 17–25–2 (.409) overall, ranking him 14th at ISU in total wins and 19th in winning percentage.[14] He was fired from this position in November 1986,[1] when the school announced the organization had made 34 allegations of wrongdoing in the football program. Allegations included coaches giving players cash as well as giving recruits rides and meals.

They could bring in another top MAC coach, but you probably never get a coach that doesn't view it as a stepping stone to somewhere else. Iowa got lucky with Hayden and Kirk.

Is Iowa State planning to leave their field as natural grass? No talk of some type of artificial turf yet?

Is Iowa State planning to leave their field as natural grass? No talk of some type of artificial turf yet?
They have had artificial turf in the past, but the natural grass field has won a number of national awards and I haven't heard any rumors about replacing it. Not that it won't happen. I'm not consulted on such matters, or even kept in the loop :)

I wiki'd Criner just to bring back memories........ did he really get caught giving cash, etc? The first Iowa / Iowa State game I attended was in Ames in '85, so I did get to see a good old Criner coached game.

Iowa State[edit]​

Following the 1982 season at BSU, Criner became the 27th head coach at Iowa State University of the Big Eight Conference.[11][12][13] He had a five-year contract for $58,000 annually,[11][12] but lasted only four seasons (19831986) in Ames. His record with the Cyclones was 9–17–2 (.357) in conference and 17–25–2 (.409) overall, ranking him 14th at ISU in total wins and 19th in winning percentage.[14] He was fired from this position in November 1986,[1] when the school announced the organization had made 34 allegations of wrongdoing in the football program. Allegations included coaches giving players cash as well as giving recruits rides and meals.
I don't recall the part about giving cash, but it wouldn't shock me. The biggest problem was providing transportation to and from Marshalltown CC in the summer for Jeff Braswell, a damned good middle linebacker, and assorted benefits from a couple of boosters. I think a local hotel/restaurant was involved.

ISU got on top of it fairly early, firing Criner, suspending Braswell and announcing it would not go to a bowl (which had been a real possibility; it lost 2 of its last 3 games and finished 6-5), so the NCAA penalties were relatively minor. Probation for a couple of years and the loss of four scholarships for one year. What hurt the new staff more than the penalties was the fact that Criner had a lot of JC players and others with academic and/or character questions. so the squad was really depleted.

Iowa State[edit]​

"Finer with Criner" was the slogan when they hired him. It is laughable that they were paying players yet still sucking so profoundly.

Reactions: NI hawk
"Finer with Criner" was the slogan when they hired him. It is laughable that they were paying players yet still sucking so profoundly.
IIRC Criner won a lot of games as a junior college coach. Then he took the step up to the Big 8, and the Peter Principle kicked in. You do a good job and are eventually promoted to a level where you aren't good. It happens in offices all the time.

Reactions: grayhair81
IIRC Criner won a lot of games as a junior college coach. Then he took the step up to the Big 8, and the Peter Principle kicked in. You do a good job and are eventually promoted to a level where you aren't good. It happens in offices all the time.
It wasn't a JC. He came from Boise State, which had transitioned from a JC to a four-year school several years before. He won as Division 1-AA national title there. He had a reputation for playing fast and loose with the rules there, but the ISU athletics director apparently didn't talk to the right people.

He was a pretty good Xs and Os coach. After getting fired at ISU, he was head coach a team in the NFL-Europe and won a title there, also spent a year as head coach of the Las Vegas entry of the XFL.

Gerry Faust comes to mind.

They had a good record last year. I wasn't impressed when I watched them.
Then you just don't understand football...at all. I've watched Iowa and Iowa State avidly over the past 40+ years and its not that hard to tell when a team is very good. ISU was very good last year...even after a rough start. Denying that makes you look ill informed. Iowa struggled early as well and ended up a very good team. See...its not that hard...there's being a "fan" and then there's actually having the ability to analyze football teams and games. You've got the fan part down, I'll give ya that.

The clones are due to get one. Home field advantage will be the difference this year, especially if Petras gets the yips.

Then you just don't understand football...at all. I've watched Iowa and Iowa State avidly over the past 40+ years and its not that hard to tell when a team is very good. ISU was very good last year...even after a rough start. Denying that makes you look ill informed. Iowa struggled early as well and ended up a very good team. See...its not that hard...there's being a "fan" and then there's actually having the ability to analyze football teams and games. You've got the fan part down, I'll give ya that.
Okay...

My main source said MC is all in on the Iowa game. He needs it. He is the same source that said X and Proctor were gonna keep Iowa in but cut ISU from the top 7 when ISU sources said ISU was top 3 for both. So I trust my source on the focus ISU is putting on the game. And they should. How many crap Big 12 teams ((besides Oke) will be ranked for ISU to beat. My main source is crushing it especially when compared to ISU sources. They are clueless obviously.

• Haha
Reactions: weeterkane
My main source said MC is all in on the Iowa game. He needs it. He is the same source that said X and Proctor were gonna keep Iowa in but cut ISU from the top 7 when ISU sources said ISU was top 3 for both. So I trust my source on the focus ISU is putting on the game. And they should. How many crap Big 12 teams ((besides Oke) will be ranked for ISU to beat. My main source is crushing it especially when compared to ISU sources. They are clueless obviously.
Of course MC is putting emphasis on the Iowa game. It will be one of the better teams on the schedule. ISU has a history of stumbling early in the season. ISU has a losing streak in the series. MC isn't a moron.

Of course MC is putting emphasis on the Iowa game. It will be one of the better teams on the schedule. ISU has a history of stumbling early in the season. ISU has a losing streak in the series. MC isn't a moron.
Well, not if you read comments by that CyTwins clown on CF site. It’s all about Iowa’s SuperBowl game and that isu doesn’t put any more emphasis on the Iowa game than any other game on their schedule, yada, yada, yada.

Well, not if you read comments by that CyTwins clown on CF site. It’s all about Iowa’s SuperBowl game and that isu doesn’t put any more emphasis on the Iowa game than any other game on their schedule, yada, yada, yada.
According to CyTwins Iowa is the 10th most important game to the clowns each year. Too bad his 77,000 posts say otherwise.

Reactions: Bobhaywood
Well I am not sure how “of course” it is according to Clone fans. IF (big if) we beat Indiana week 1 (they will be a top 12 ranked team), Iowa will be by far the second best rated team ISU plays all year besides Okie. But some ISU fans seem to believe we are already focused on ISU as opposed to another ranked team in week 1.

Reactions: HerkyFan

No not a moron but many of his fans are. :)

Well I am not sure how “of course” it is according to Clone fans. IF (big if) we beat Indiana week 1 (they will be a top 12 ranked team), Iowa will be by far the second best rated team ISU plays all year besides Okie. But some ISU fans seem to believe we are already focused on ISU as opposed to another ranked team in week 1.
The game with Indiana is more important than the Iowa/ISU game but it's been awhile since beating the Cyclones meant something more than bragging rights. Getting through the first 2 weeks without a loss will provide significant momentum for the Hawkeyes.

The game with Indiana is more important than the Iowa/ISU game but it's been awhile since beating the Cyclones meant something more than bragging rights. Getting through the first 2 weeks without a loss will provide significant momentum for the Hawkeyes.
I agree 100 percent. Now both games are big but especially Indiana as playing a top 10-15 team in conference at home. ISU is a huge game. But I read an ISU fan said his “source” was actually in the Iowa football facilities last week and texted him that Iowa cares so much more about ISU, Iowa was watching tape on ISU v. k-St. That is a great “super bowl” trool/lie but the facilities are closed until June 1 from anyone not Iowa coaches or players. Plus, um coaches aren’t showing strangers what tape they are breaking down. Just a lie. I don’t get why people can’t admit conference is bigger, but Iowa-ISU is a rivalry especially when both are good. JFC.

If the Hawks start out 2-0 and look solid doing it I have a feeling you're going to see alot of peoples expectations for the season change dramatically.

Reactions: EKHawk
I long ago gave up trying to get you guys to stop quoting CyTwins, whoever that is. I never go to CF, which might tell you something.

I don't know if Iowa will be the second best team on the ISU schedule. But if it beats Indiana, it will definitely be in the rankings.

The way I look at any game on the schedule is relative to the importance for the goals of the season. The goal that is the most potentially achievable AND is the most important is making the B1G title game. To do that, they have to win the B1G west. Therefore, every B1G game is always more important than the isu game.
I get that for some people this game is a bigger deal. I'm not one of them. It's far more important to get a win in the indy game. It's not that I don't want to see them continue to beat those posers in ames, but in the context of the season that game is relatively low value.

• Love
Reactions: Obviously Oblivious

What do you mean by "need" it? Has he not needed it in the past? Why does he need it more now?

I wanna see BF strutting down the sideline smoking a big cigar after the win in Ames in Sept. Have Jamie run out after him to tell him no smoking in JT!!!!

I wanna see BF strutting down the sideline smoking a big cigar after the win in Ames in Sept. Have Jamie run out after him to tell him no smoking in JT!!!!

The real question will be if the Hawks win will isu fans storm the field to assault the football team? Or will they just break windows of the team bus like they did two years ago.

Based on prices on Stub Hub, all the Clone fans view this as a huge game! Why ask so much money for just an ordinary average game.

And this is different from any other year ?

What do you mean by "need" it? Has he not needed it in the past? Why does he need it more now?
Fair Anon. Maybe “need” was too strong. But this year I think ISU plays limited ranked teams (at least preseason rankings) and this is a rivalry game at home against a ranked team who MC has not beat yet. Plus, ISU will be favored so pretty big for MC.

ADVERTISEMENT