ADVERTISEMENT

Will Keegan Murray Return to Iowa for 22/23 Season?

Will he be on our roster next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iafootballfan

HR MVP
Sep 1, 2007
Checking the pulse on this as it seems some of the board has changed their opinion since conference play started.

He’s had a few inefficient games… big deal. He’s also the primary focus of opposing defenses and continues to display an ability to score at three levels, defend, and rebound. He’s a lottery pick next year if he wants to go

What we should be discussing at a greater depth is whether or not Kris will be joining him. He’s currently a lock for at least the second round, and can play his way into the first round with more games like last night and Indiana

I voted no but think he should. Don't think he is quite ready for the NBA. Don't know what they do with NBA bench players when the play almost every night. He could work on his game and improve better with another year.

If Connor and jblow by some miracle are finally both gone next year I can see him coming back. Especially if somehow Fran finally realizes both Keegan and Kris should be starting, I think we could see him back. I could actually see both Keegan and Kris leave before seeing just Keegan leaving.

I voted no but think he should. Don't think he is quite ready for the NBA. Don't know what they do with NBA bench players when the play almost every night. He could work on his game and improve better with another year.
Even if he is a slightly better player coming back he would also be a year older, effectively cancelling each other out.

Only if he wants one more year with his brother, which is definitely a possibility, but I don't know how you can turn away from a likely top-10 draft spot.

Reactions: Sexican
Lottery picks don't come back to college. It's been so long since Iowa has had one that fans here just don't understand.
Has Iowa ever had a top 12 pick?

No idea where Don Nelson or Connie Hawkins (if that counts) were drafted.

Only if he wants one more year with his brother, which is definitely a possibility, but I don't know how you can turn away from a likely top-10 draft spot.

You can't and he won't. Kenyan isn't going to allow him to stay another year, he knows the right thing to do.

Reactions: Hawkenschpiel
Keegan will probably not return, but I think he could really use another year in college to sharpen his skills and gain strength. If Iowa cannot provide the coaching/skills, there is always the portal.

Even if he is a slightly better player coming back he would also be a year older, effectively cancelling each other out.
It's different in basketball. 23 is not old. He can play 15 years in the NBA. The career is much shorter, for most players, in the NFL. If he's content sitting on the bench he should go. I feel for Weezy and Garza. Can't be much fun to practice and not play. Both will end up in Europe.

Don't know if he will be back but I do believe they both need another year of CBB to develop their skill set. Would they be drafted? Sure but I see them struggling against NBA talent.
Tyler Cook improved tremendously once he got away from Fran, Keegan is already 3 yrs out of HS. He should go to NBA and Kris should go to a school that gives him appropriate playing time and a reasonable shot of winning something that matters. That's not Iowa

Don't know if he will be back but I do believe they both need another year of CBB to develop their skill set. Would they be drafted? Sure but I see them struggling against NBA talent.
How many of last year's 1st round picks are the "focal point" of their team's offense?? Everyone that was drafted last year has skills they need to work on. Unless you are Lebron, AD or KD, you are probably getting drafted to be a rotational player at first to see what you can become. I may be biased, but what Keegan does now translates to the next level when ever he decides to go. BJ Armstrong told me something back in the spring that gave me perspective on what the NBA truly is. He said, "Can you be 1 of the 240 in the NBA?" What does that mean? With there being 30 teams in the NBA, most have an 8-9 man rotation. If you can be in the top 8 of a team's rotation, you will have a long NBA career. Most players don't become NBA all-stars. Food for thought: According to Stathead Basketball, a total of 4374 NBA players have played at least a single NBA nba game in the league's 75 year history. So to have the ability to 1 of, whenever the time comes, why would anyone turn that down.

Disagree about Kris. IMO he also goes to the NBA, 2 way contract with time in G league but if he comes back for another year at Iowa , he is the man and will play Keegan minutes. I hop we have Kris for another year but I’d guess it’s less than 50/50

Reactions: topherchris20
I agree with this. I’ve also heard over and over again that college athletes that leave early for the pro’s can always come back to get their degree. While this is true, it’s not really the college experience when you’re getting a degree at say age 30. I also can see the flip side...make the money while you can. I just think, in general, if players stayed through their junior years they could not only get most degrees completed, but be more mature physically & emotionally to handle being a pro. But I’m old, so what do I know. 😉

If not for his knee likely gone higher shame, still the best player at Iowa I ever saw. Yes I loved watching Luka but Ronnie Lester was art.
Agreed. My favorite Hawk of all time and the only one in my lifetime that was capable of carrying a team to a national championship.

If not for his knee likely gone higher shame, still the best player at Iowa I ever saw. Yes I loved watching Luka but Ronnie Lester was art.
Agree 100%. If not for his injury he would have likely been #1 in that draft.

It's different in basketball. 23 is not old. He can play 15 years in the NBA. The career is much shorter, for most players, in the NFL. If he's content sitting on the bench he should go. I feel for Weezy and Garza. Can't be much fun to practice and not play. Both will end up in Europe.
Seriously? Tell the people in the NBA that. In the last mock draft, where Keegan was in the top ten picks, he's the OLDEST player of those ten. :rolleyes:

Seriously? Tell the people in the NBA that. In the last mock draft, where Keegan was in the top ten picks, he's the OLDEST player of those ten. :rolleyes:

There was also a moment earlier this year when Iowa football was number 2 in the nation...

Of course Kenyon's post lays out the key perspective and context.

I don't expect Keegan to return to Iowa next season. I do expect him to be highly valued by NBA talent evaluators as a piece that they want to complete a roster given his versatility.
Looking forward to him being a first round pick and having a solid NBA career.

Really???
Kenyon, loved how you played during your time at Iowa, but really, you need a new house or car? Your family is so poor that your kids have to leave college early, to start making money to support you and your wife.
We as fans certainly don't want to see your family suffer living without food on your table but thanks for allow us Iowa fans to get a sneak peek of your kids abilities even if it's only long enough to figure out which one is Keegan and which one is Kris.

Kenyon, loved how you played during your time at Iowa, but really, you need a new house or car? Your family is so poor that your kids have to leave college early, to start making money to support you and your wife.
We as fans certainly don't want to see your family suffer living without food on your table but thanks for allow us Iowa fans to get a sneak peek of your kids abilities even if it's only long enough to figure out which one is Keegan and which one is Kris.
Dude, seriously? Are you actually questioning him for helping Keegan make the only logical choice? Wow......

Interesting that you would ask me that. No we don't "need". So we have to be struggling for money before our children chase their dream? Not sure I am following. Plenty of players have left early to pursue a professional careers and their families weren't "struggling". Are you speaking as a parent or a fan? Golfers, tennis players, baseball players, etc have for years left when they felt it was the right decision. So, if your son was a player and was projected as a 1st round pick, you would tell him to come back because your family wasn't "struggling" financially?? I have two degrees, my wife is a certified Radiology Tech and currently works in auditing at UIHC. KnK took college classes in HS and are numerous credits ahead of where they should be and Keegan has been on the honor roll ever semester at Iowa. We have a daughter who is 4.1 GPA and is looking at the Ivy league for college. Even our adopted son, who struggled in HS has one BA and is working on a BS/MA simultaneously. So to say that we don't value education (staying in school) is absurd!! My kid's dream is JUST THAT, HIS DREAM. My job as a parent is to support his decision. I would ask that you view this as a parent and not a fan. College is a stepping stone for anyone to figure out what they want their career to be. Doesn't matter if it is as an accountant, physician or professional athlete.

ADVERTISEMENT