ADVERTISEMENT

Will Phil Steele choose Iowa to win the West?

You think Phil Steele only cares about selling magazines? The guy has a monster subscription base made up of hardcore degenerate gamblers. He was going to sell the same number of mags whether he chose Nebraska 1st or 7th.

But I agree with you about the 7-5 to 10-2 point. I believe the 2019 Nebraska team would be 7-5 vs. their 2018 schedule.

I wasn't talking about him specifically, in fact, I said the media! Nice try on calling me out, you'd have been the 1st Husker that has with any success, but your lack of reading comprehension blew it.

Reactions: sltldowney
About what? That Kirk was the worst coach in the power 5 last year?
Yes, of course he's wrong. It's one of the dumber things I've ever heard him say. You can't claim that the coach who developed the 4 or 5 future first round draft picks from mostly 2 and 3 star talent is now the worst coach in the power 5. It's absolutely ridiculous and shouldn't even be considered serious conversation. Kirk is an excellent coach and as long as he's in town you guys know that you are in for a dog fight or an ass kicking no matter how good you think you are.

Kirk is a hell of a developer. I agree with you there. I stated in another thread that I think Iowa may have the best S&C there is as well. I think the actual X's & O's and decision making as well as recruiting is where Iowa falls down. Football is a sport where anything can happen on any given day, but it does have to frustrate you guys having that many studs and not winning a pretty bad West division. I agree that I wouldn't say he is the worst in the Power 5, but that was some heavy underachievement for a heavily talented team.

Reactions: td77
Kirk is a hell of a developer. I agree with you there. I stated in another thread that I think Iowa may have the best S&C there is as well. I think the actual X's & O's and decision making as well as recruiting is where Iowa falls down. Football is a sport where anything can happen on any given day, but it does have to frustrate you guys having that many studs and not winning a pretty bad West division. I agree that I wouldn't say he is the worst in the Power 5, but that was some heavy underachievement for a heavily talented team.

Then you don’t know much about football.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
I think that NE should be contenders as well, mainly because of their schedule, but their defense allowed approximately 36 points per game last year and they still have question marks at LB.

Also, Martinez is exceptional and the WRs are very good but the Husker OL was very inconsistent and they are breaking in a couple new players. Nebraska may end-up winning the division but they might have to score 38-40 points per game to do it. Basically, everything is riding on Martinez IMO.

No way Martinez makes it the whole year uninjured. That O line was not that great. Go back and watch Eppy schooling that OT last year.

Then you don’t know much about football.

This. The coaching staff didn't cost us any of our losses (maybe NU - it was criminal how underused Fant was in that game, but I talked with a player's dad after that and he hinted that there was some stuff behind the scenes - his quote was "Noah was being Noah." Not sure what that meant, didn't badger him about it, but he wasn't shocked at how the Northwestern game played out. Iowa was in shape to win every game. If we're not down to two true freshman CBs at Purdue, we leave there with an easy win. Purdue couldn't stop us offensively. Unfortunately we couldn't stop them either. If Stanley doesn't have the worst game of any Iowa QB I can remember - now we know it was due to his hand injury - at Penn State, we roll in that game, and if there aren't a few really weird bounces (off Beyer's foot and ISM's hands) against Wisky, we win it. As much as I hate it being Iowa's unofficial motto, "that's football." "The ball goes where the ball goes."

Yes it is funny. Tell us what football guru would claim 4 draft picks equates to having a tremendous team?

I will hang up and listen.

Do you not know your own roster? I shouldn't have to explain the talent to you. Also, not just including draft picks. Think about AE and others. Maybe you don't know football and talent?

Do you not know your own roster? I shouldn't have to explain the talent to you. Also, not just including draft picks. Think about AE and others. Maybe you don't know football and talent?

I do know the Iowa roster. I also know it takes 11 players on the field for offense and 11 on defense. I know fluke plays occur. I know players get injured. 4-5 draft picks doesn’t automatically equate to a tremendous team.

But by all means tell us how that is wrong.

I do know the Iowa roster. I also know it takes 11 players on the field for offense and 11 on defense. I know fluke plays occur. I know players get injured. 4-5 draft picks doesn’t automatically equate to a tremendous team.

So you just make excuses then? It isn't 4-5 draft picks. Stanley is supposedly a top draft pick, Iowa always has a good line and there will be multiple picks a year of that, you had two of the top TE in the country. One D you have picks all over the field as well. It isn't just 4-5 picks. You had the best team in the West, yet all you do is make excuses. There is no reason you shouldn't have won the West. But keep making excuses...

So you just make excuses then? It isn't 4-5 draft picks. Stanley is supposedly a top draft pick, Iowa always has a good line and there will be multiple picks a year of that, you had two of the top TE in the country. One D you have picks all over the field as well. It isn't just 4-5 picks. You had the best team in the West, yet all you do is make excuses. There is no reason you shouldn't have won the West. But keep making excuses...

Jesus F. Christ husker fans are dumb.

Not only dumb, but insanely confident.

What an obnoxious combination.

We didn’t have the best team in the west. The OL was not as good as the OL had been in the past and wasn’t strong up the middle(guards and center). The tackles while talented didn’t have the year that was expected. The WR’s were young or walk on’s. Can you name me one college team that relied on the TE position as much as Iowa did and they won more than 9 games?

Now if Iowa would have had Wisky’s OL and we only won 9 games you have a valid argument. That wasn’t the case.

I can’t wait for the highly insightful and vast football knowledge you will have in your skirt fan response.

Reactions: Hawks4Life86
We didn’t have the best team in the west. The OL was not as good as the OL had been in the past and wasn’t strong up the middle(guards and center). The tackles while talented didn’t have the year that was expected. The WR’s were young or walk on’s.

Now if Iowa would have had Wisky’s OL and we only won 9 games you have a valid argument. That wasn’t the case.

Who had the best in the West? Wisconsin? I would say your roster is better than Wisconsin. Outside of Taylor their O is nothing and the other teams are not worth talking about.

Jesus F. Christ husker fans are dumb.

Not only dumb, but insanely confident.

What an obnoxious combination.

Tell me what is wrong with the statement? You weren't the best team in the west. Easy Flick.. Your mom might worry about all of the sound coming from the basement.

Who had the best in the West? Wisconsin? I would say your roster is better than Wisconsin. Outside of Taylor their O is nothing and the other teams are not worth talking about.

There was no great team in the West. That is why none of them won more than 9 games.

Reactions: Wadzinator
Tell me what is wrong with the statement? You weren't the best team in the west. Easy Flick.. Your mom might worry about all of the sound coming from the basement.

What is wrong with your statement is that you are assuming 4-5 players can by themselves win more than 9 games.

Who had the best in the West? Wisconsin?

If only there were some way to determine who has the best team in the West... Like playing a round robin schedule?

Lucky for us, the Big Ten does that. So what did the West teams' records against eachother look like in 2018?

Northwestern 6-0
Wisconsin 4-2
Purdue 3-3
Iowa 3-3
Nebraska 2-4
Minny 2-4
Illinois - loud fart sounds

An intelligent person could look at the above and conclude who the best team in the West was. Wanna give it a go and answer your own question?

Nebraska's defense doesnt need to be world beaters with the offensive system they run. Assuming the offense gets more efficient with Martinez having a year under his belt, they just need to not be hot garbage on defense.They ranked 97th in total defense last year in YPG. For comparison Oklahoma ranked 108th .
If Nebraska gets into the Top 75, that should be good enough assuming the offenses improves efficiency. Nebraska's offense put up yards last year but was inefficient scoring the ball, particularly in the beginning of the year.

Skirt fans claiming KF is the worst P5 Coach because of NFL draft picks is a myth.

Maryland had 4 draft picks and won less than 9 games. They fired their coach and didn’t keep the interim. How are they a better coach than KF?

Arkansas had 3 draft picks and won less than 9 games. How is their coach better than KF?

USC had 4 draft picks and won less than 9 games. How is their coach better than KF?

Miami Fla had 5 draft picks and won less than 9 games. How is their coach better than KF?

Yikes, that sure is a lot for skirt fan to ignore.

Last edited:
My (Steele) prediction:

Wisconsin (1a)
Iowa (1b)
Northwestern
Purdue
Minnesota
Nebraska
Illinois

Can Kirk and Brian finally get us over the hump vs Wisconsin? Even Purdue, Minnesota and Nebraska at the bottom of the division are stacking talent and have improving coaching staffs.

It’s definitely not getting any easier in the West.

As always, I look at the teams with returning QB’s to have a chance. I think NW, WI, and even PU take a step back this year.

This is hilarious. Wisconsin allowed 10 more sacks and 23 more QB hurries than Iowa despite throwing the football 100 less times. If Iowa would've had Wisconsin's offensive line, the Hawks would've been forced to play 3 QB's like Wisconsin in 2018.

This is hilarious. Wisconsin allowed 10 more sacks and 23 more QB hurries than Iowa despite throwing the football 100 less times. If Iowa would've had Wisconsin's offensive line, the Hawks would've been forced to play 3 QB's like Wisconsin in 2018.

If Iowa would have had the run blocking of the Wisky line Iowa would have won more games.

But keep showing us just how little skirt fans know about college football. Keep it up and you will get yourself to isu fan territory.

This is fun.

If Iowa would have had the run blocking of the Wisky line Iowa would have won more games.

But keep showing us just how little skirt fans know about college football. Keep it up and you will get yourself to isu fan territory.

This is fun.

My bad, I forgot 1st Team All- American RB Jonathan Taylor was taking handoffs in the Iowa backfield.

Taylor led all Power 5 running backs in Yards after contact. He's the best RB in college football. Mekhi Sargent and Toren Young would've combined for roughly 50 carries in 2018 if Taylor was playing for Iowa. Hell, those two would've been 4th and 5th string tailbacks at Wisconsin.

The Badgers got a big break having Taylor in the Backfield. They would've struggled mightily without a player of his caliber.

My bad, I forgot 1st Team All- American RB Jonathan Taylor was taking handoffs in the Iowa backfield.

Taylor led all Power 5 running backs in Yards after contact. He's the best RB in college football. Mekhi Sargent and Toren Young would've combined for roughly 50 carries in 2018 if Taylor was playing for Iowa. Hell, those two would've been 4th and 5th string tailbacks at Wisconsin.

The Badgers got a big break having Taylor in the Backfield. They would've struggled mightily without a player of his caliber.

But it was the OL that opened holes for him to run through. He isn’t talented enough to do it on his own like say a Melvin Gordon.

Please dazzle us some more with that vast football knowledge. Very entertaining.

The west is particularly weak with wiscy not looking themselves of late. However, Iowa will have a difficult time taking advantage of that with their crossover schedule.
Hawks could certainly still win the division, but I don't see it. They will most likely have more than one loss in the division and drop the scUM and psu games.
As always, though, not every game goes to form.

All Neb fans do is tout how their recruiting and talent level is so much better than everyone else in the West - they've just been waiting for their savior coach to show up and unleash it on the world.

But I guess Iowa has the most talent when it's convenient for Neb fans to make feeble attempts at taunting.

So, has Iowa dominated Neb because they have more talent or not? Your choice.

Box

You had 4 or 5 future 1st Round Draft Picks starting, and you couldn't win a division won by a Northwestern team which allowed more points than they scored.

No coach in America did less with more.

You won’t see any argument from me about this.

Most of the homers here will disagree, and generally slobber over Ferentz and his mediocre coaching & recruiting, but his lack of results has grown stale. I’d love to see a change but we’re most likely stuck with Kirk or his son for the next 20-30 years.

We have a permanent ceiling in place with Kirk in charge. We’ve had one division title to show for the last 15 years, and it happened to fall on the year we caught Indiana and (I think) Maryland as our crossovers. Then what happened... lose our only hard game to MSU and get embarrassed by Stanford.

That lone season bought Kirk 10 more years here. It’s a tragedy. The tide of public opinion was just beginning to shift, too. Now with the talent level back on the rise in the West, our chances of capitalizing are slim. That’s just fine with most on here, though. 8-4 or 7-5 and nothing to show for it. The usual cupcake non con schedule. Be happy with what we have is the motto.

But it was the OL that opened holes for him to run through. He isn’t talented enough to do it on his own like say a Melvin Gordon.

Please dazzle us some more with that vast football knowledge. Very entertaining.

What is wrong with your statement is that you are assuming 4-5 players can by themselves win more than 9 games.

Jesus Herky, you are seriously the worst and most unintelligent and cringe worthy poster on this board. Everything he said is truth. You are embarrassing.

We have a permanent ceiling in place with Kirk in charge. We’ve had one division title to show for the last 15 years, and it happened to fall on the year we caught Indiana and (I think) Maryland as our crossovers. Then what happened... lose our only hard game to MSU and get embarrassed by Stanford.

That lone season bought Kirk 10 more years here. It’s a tragedy. The tide of public opinion was just beginning to shift, too. Now with the talent level back on the rise in the West, our chances of capitalizing are slim. That’s just fine with most on here, though. 8-4 or 7-5 and nothing to show for it. The usual cupcake non con schedule. Be happy with what we have is the motto.

You sure you aren’t a skirt fan? You have about the same level of football knowledge that they and clown fans have.

Again, your rebuttals are absolutely cringe worthy. Nobody can sit here with a straight face and claim that the coaching job your master Kirk did with all that talent last year was acceptable, let alone commendable.

One division title in 15 years. One. Kirk has built a career out of convincing mental midgets like yourself that we can’t do any better here at Iowa. I swear to God, as much as it kills me to say it, we’d have a legit shot at the Conference title with someone like Campbell in charge. Too bad he’s wasted on that shvthole in Ames.

You won’t see any argument from me about this.

Most of the homers here will disagree, and generally slobber over Ferentz and his mediocre coaching & recruiting, but his lack of results has grown stale. I’d love to see a change but we’re most likely stuck with Kirk or his son for the next 20-30 years.

Of course you won’t argue. You are just as bad as a “homer”. You are an anti-homer and you get off on anything bad happening to Iowa. You likely are a Nebraska fan or fan of another team. If you are an Iowa fan you are one of the most miserable ones out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT