ADVERTISEMENT

Will results on the field improve?

naturalmwa

HR King
Feb 4, 2004
Assuming Iowa takes steps to successfully address the racial problems in the athletic department, would you expect results to show up on the field? Do you think Iowa will attract and retain minority athletes better?

Assuming Iowa takes steps to successfully address the racial problems in the athletic department, would you expect results to show up on the field? Do you think Iowa will attract and retain minority athletes better?

I think getting rid of Doyle will improve the culture and the program will be better for it. Early indications are this is already happening. In the long run I think the result will be more wins as fewer players transfer out and more players truly buy in to the program.

They say they want their personalities to come out, yet when Wadley high steps (not even egregious) the refs flagged him 15 yards. So how do you let kids do that on the field in a game if the refs will flag it?

Reactions: iowahaha1
I don't think taking care of any racial issues would lead to more wins. Unless somehow taking care of racial issues can make you run faster, jump higher and throw more accurate.

There were no racial problems it was all made up. But putting that aside if you get rid of a 21-year assistant coach it can't help that go downhill for at least a year or two

Nope. 9-10 wins. Still comes up short when it matters.
Everyone in the Big Ten is still getting skewered in recruiting by Ohio State, so until that starts to even out at all, we'll all continue to be looking up at them.

That doesn't mean we can't compete with them on the field. Results (competitiveness) have proven that in the few times we've played Ohio State since 2006.

It's just that while we are improving, so are a lot of other teams in the conference, and that competition amongst everyone else means there's a good chance each year we get caught up in the whole cannibalization of the 13 other teams in the conference fighting to be the one to knock off Ohio State.......

Reactions: kceasthawk
has the university of iowa moved closer to prime recruiting grounds?
did someone go back in time and elevate the tradition of iowa football to that of notre dame or michigan or ohio state?
did the climate in eastern iowa go from horrible winters and horrible summers to mild all year long?
The weather is a trash excuse used to sway gullible high school kids.

Per Jordan Lomax,
"Lomax thinks if Iowa fosters an environment in which different personalities are embraced, we'll see overall player confidence and, thus, team performance improve".

Link to Lomax comments: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...eded-change-supports-kirk-ferentz/5510224002/

There were over 1100 views,the real comments are not just the bullet pts.

Last edited:
There were no racial problems it was all made up. But putting that aside if you get rid of a 21-year assistant coach it can't help that go downhill for at least a year or two

I am about 25 pages into this book, Amazon product ASIN 0807047414, but the author has fairly accurately describe the stance you have taken in most of your posts. If there actually is a problem, what would need to happen for you to believe it? If the study by the law firm commissioned by the university says there is a problem, would you believe it?

I don't think taking care of any racial issues would lead to more wins. Unless somehow taking care of racial issues can make you run faster, jump higher and throw more accurate.
If athletes feel more comfortable going to the football complex or working out, is it not logical that they might put in more time and achieve better results. Just keeping players from transferring means you keep the best developed and best leaders with the team. So that’s my reasoning for hoping for better results.

They say they want their personalities to come out, yet when Wadley high steps (not even egregious) the refs flagged him 15 yards. So how do you let kids do that on the field in a game if the refs will flag it?
I think they mean more in the program. They want to be able to be themselves in the football facilities. That doesn't mean they are demanding to showboat during games

Reactions: naturalmwa
I am about 25 pages into this book, , but the author has fairly accurately describe the stance you have taken in most of your posts. If there actually is a problem, what would need to happen for you to believe it? If the study by the law firm commissioned by the university says there is a problem, would you believe it?
nope I believe Kirk Ferentz he said there was no problem in December no problem in March. Now suddenly there is a problem because it is made up

I wouldn't anticipate any immediate change for the worse or better. But more of what we've seen over the past five years. What's important to remember is the grand timeline in these matters. Doyle is gone now and the turmoil within the program has just now come to light in grandiose fashion these past few months. But Iowa was already in the process (albeit maybe slowly) of trying to revamp its culture in terms of racial equality. This, IMO, is why current players haven't been transferring out in droves and why commits have stayed onboard. Things have been changing within the program that we outsiders and maybe even former players don't have visibility to. Fast forward a few years and 2020 will be viewed as the pivotal turning point for Iowa's program, but many things had been set in motion in preceding years. The American Revolution didn't start and end in 1776. It takes years of momentum to finally achieve major change.

Ferentz is good for 2-3 losses per season by his stubbornness. Let shove a round peg through a square hole it’s got to work sometime.
it has never been about the wins. That is one thing that this whole debacle has taught us. It is always been about the NFL always always always and how many guys get to the NFL. A great player can go to the NFL even if his college team has five or six losses

Last edited:
what does that have to with (checks notes) losing to in division rival Wisconsin 8 out of the last 9 years.

I know Iowa will never be as good as Ohio St but the fact they can never close out close games they should is a terrible trend in the wrong direction.

Everyone in the Big Ten is still getting skewered in recruiting by Ohio State, so until that starts to even out at all, we'll all continue to be looking up at them.

That doesn't mean we can't compete with them on the field. Results (competitiveness) have proven that in the few times we've played Ohio State since 2006.

It's just that while we are improving, so are a lot of other teams in the conference, and that competition amongst everyone else means there's a good chance each year we get caught up in the whole cannibalization of the 13 other teams in the conference fighting to be the one to knock off Ohio State.......

Reactions: amahawk
As a matter of fact it might be better to have the team go seven eight or nine wins and go to decent Bowl they can win and have the players look good in a bowl winning for the NFL Scouts. It's better than getting blown out by 50 points in the Rose Bowl.

what does that have to with (checks notes) losing to in division rival Wisconsin 8 out of the last 9 years.

I know Iowa will never be as good as Ohio St but the fact they can never close out close games they should is a terrible trend in the wrong direction.
as long as they get players that go to the NFL... does not matter if they lose to Wisconsin

Saying they “can never close games they should” is an incorrect statement. Iowa has won numerous close games the last few years, including the Iowa State, Minnesota and Nebraska games last year. They have not been able to beat Wisconsin recently, which needs to be addressed if Iowa wants to go back to the B10 Championship Game. This is different than what you said above though.

Last edited:
As a business man I’ve tried to recruit African Americans to Iowa.
What makes it tough:
- Iowa is pretty much all white
- Iowa is rural
- Iowa is cold in the winter
The first one makes it the toughest.
On the positive side:
- Iowa is a safe place to live
- cost of living is pretty good

what does that have to with (checks notes) losing to in division rival Wisconsin 8 out of the last 9 years. (I think you have what you need to answer that question.....)

I know Iowa will never be as good as Ohio St but the fact they can never close out close games they should is a terrible trend in the wrong direction. (Well, we may be on to something after the Outback Bowl win over Mississippi State. Last year, we finished several games, while our 3 losses were from issues other than blowing late leads, such as simple offensive execution or a young interior OL getting destroyed by constant pressure and missed assignments. A lot of our close game losses, in the past, boil down to not getting the necessary defensive stops when they are called upon to finish the game.

It's also worth mentioning that 2020 is basically freebie year for everyone playing or coaching a sport. Any issues that come up...just blame covid, didn't have enough time, players/coaches were sick, players always had that fear in the back of their mind etc etc)

The next season (whether that's this year or next) will be critically important and will largely shape the narrative.
  • If it's a disappointing season, it will be easy for many to point to locker room issues as the reason for the poor play which will negatively affect recruiting and could spiral into an issue that ultimately dooms Ferentz's time at Iowa.
  • However, if Iowa performs really well it will be easy for many to say that whatever locker room issues there were have been fixed, the existing players are more likely to convince recruits that positive changes were made, and the Ferentz program can be better off because of it.

You are mi
nope I believe Kirk Ferentz he said there was no problem in December no problem in March. Now suddenly there is a problem because it is made up

I believe you are misquoting him. I believe he said he had a “blind spot” because he thought Iowa’s culture was healthy after the season. Ferentz also admitted he did not follow through on planned meetings. If it were true there were no issue, why would he call it a blind spot and not just patently wrong?

You say "now" as it it all happened recently. What about the 2018-19 athletic department report that said there was an issue? What about the leadership council meeting where this same issue was brought up years ago? Do you believe those two things didn't happen, as their time stamp came before this election year and before the George Floyd death.

I am not inside the program so can't speak from personal experience and am not trying to tear the program down. However, to say "nothing to see here move along" seems to ignore the preponderance of evidence.

Reactions: hawkbirch
Saying they “can never close games they should” is an incorrect statement. Iowa has one numerous close games the last few years, including the Iowa State, Minnesota and Nebraska games last year. They have not been able to beat Wisconsin recently, which needs to be addressed if Iowa wants to go back to the B10 Championship Game. This is different than what you said above though.
And the bowl game against Mississippi State.

Reactions: mooresville hawk
I am about 25 pages into this book, , but the author has fairly accurately describe the stance you have taken in most of your posts. If there actually is a problem, what would need to happen for you to believe it? If the study by the law firm commissioned by the university says there is a problem, would you believe it?

Read a little deeper about the author of this book.....

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
You are mi

I believe you are misquoting him. I believe he said he had a “blind spot” because he thought Iowa’s culture was healthy after the season. Ferentz also admitted he did not follow through on planned meetings. If it were true there were no issue, why would he call it a blind spot and not just patently wrong?

You say "now" as it it all happened recently. What about the 2018-19 athletic department report that said there was an issue? What about the leadership council meeting where this same issue was brought up years ago? Do you believe those two things didn't happen, as their time stamp came before this election year and before the George Floyd death.

I am not inside the program so can't speak from personal experience and am not trying to tear the program down. However, to say "nothing to see here move along" seems to ignore the preponderance of evidence.
the report was a huge joke from a liberal University that has an agenda

And yes I'm talking about the culture problem or the perceived culture problem that is not there. Most people don't understand code speak when it comes to the football coaches and stuff but let me tell you this there was no culture problem and his blind spot was the fact that all he cares about is getting people in the NFL and he didn't see anything because it wasn't there cuz he's getting guys in the NFL. I can pretty much guarantee that this law firms going to find zero unless it's a liberal communist operation

And the other thing he said was he was talking about getting the guys to the next level that means NFL or after college. I shouldn't say all he cares about the NFL because he talks about the next level which means either NFL or what comes next after college, and Iowa just does not have a problem with that. Graduation rates may be a problem. But I do think what he does with the Children's Hospital is a great thing. And I do think he has helped a lot of young men how much better life than they would have had had they not gone University of Iowa

you cannot just make up some vague problem with culture just because and expect people to change it. culture encompasses everything... all of the state of Iowa and the whole nation really. and this movement is about destroying the nation.

I spent most of my working life in an environment where it was policy that the bottom 10% of performers when measured against individual arbitrary subjective standards were terminated each year. Prior years performances were not taken into account. Poor performances were addressed by coaching and counseling with the goal to correct behaviors and help people achieve results.

The point being weight goals, sleep monitoring, uniform appearance expectations, and the like may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s not far off from “real world” expectations that some organizations employ.
I chose to stay and yet had the option and opportunity to leave at any point as do Iowa athletes.

There’s no place in any organization for race or gender bias, bullying, or discrimination. That said I expect that players of all races may have issues with being held accountable to weight expectations and sleep monitoring. My guess is several White players probably wanted to wear earrings, sleeveless shirts, and different hair styles. If you stay up late partying you’d probably not like that information tracked.

As long as the policy expectations are uniformly enforced and communicated in advance I don’t see problems. Doyle didn’t seem to be able to do that and he’s gone. If the universal perception is that the standards aren’t administered equally by people who excel as well as those who are struggling it’s a much bigger deal that those who aren’t meeting standards and are looking to blame others for their results and just complaining. The coaches job remains to modify behavior to get the individual to be their best. Lowering performance standards isn’t the solution.

The game of football requires execution and discipline. There probably are some penalty flags thrown that seem unfair, rules that aren’t liked, and some penalties that are missed. The intent of the rules is to make the game better and safer. I think most of the the intent of the Iowa policies are in place to help the team win.

If these young people were drafted into the military, unable to leave, asked to risk their life, etc., etc. then they may have more concerns IMO.

I think so. Agree or disagree, many players said the more talented player who could help them win wasn’t on the field..... take that as you want it... try hard plays over talent/making excuses for buddies/or just an honest opinion .... but these are respected Hawk players like Gettis who aren’t about flaming the program. So I’m not talking about Wadley saying dumb stuff about Spearman vs Jewell.

I think the less weight on the shoulders of the black athlete fearing one mistake and their off the field/being themselves in the complex will be huge. I think you see our young men flourish. Just my take.

I think Iowa just out lasted teams due to the regiment they went through.

It remains to be seen how changes will impact the program.

Reactions: naturalmwa
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT