ADVERTISEMENT

WIll Rutgers emerge as a new threat in BIG wrestling?

Sorry to say it’s as a desirable a job as Lock Haven, Bloomsburg or any other D1 PA state school. Same dynamic, good state for recruiting wrestling, however RU will always still come in second to PSU, OSU and others for the elite NJ talent. The same as the Pennsylvania state schools. And like the PA state schools it’s not a destination. Not a great wrestling history, others have the draw and are so much sexier for the elite recruits. If I were Rutgers, I would set my sights on being Lehigh first....

We just crowned two national champs out of a room that is too small to have a full practice. 1/2 the team practices at a time. That puts a lot of strain on the staff. It’s literally twice the work.

New facility. New era and attitude. Tons of support. Local RTC.

If that job comes open and it doesn’t go to Pritzlaff, I’d expect a lot of big names to chase it.

We don’t have the pipeline to elite out of state recruits yet. But a guy shouldn’t feel he must leave to win.

Reactions: lionlover
Sorry to say it’s as a desirable a job as Lock Haven, Bloomsburg or any other D1 PA state school. Same dynamic, good state for recruiting wrestling, however RU will always still come in second to PSU, OSU and others for the elite NJ talent. The same as the Pennsylvania state schools. And like the PA state schools it’s not a destination. Not a great wrestling history, others have the draw and are so much sexier for the elite recruits. If I were Rutgers, I would set my sights on being Lehigh first....

It's way more desirable than Lock Haven, Bloomsburg etc. especially in their current states. It's also better academically than those schools.

Is the Lehigh comment supposed to be an insult? Honestly Lehigh is probably a pretty good comparison to Rutgers and they are ahead of them in history (28 NCAA Champs, 150 All-Americans, 16 top-5 team finishes at NCAA's according to their website and have finished in the top 15 in each of the past 5 years), also have good academics and are in a good location for attracting recruits from the surrounding areas.

Lehigh is in the rear view mirror to The State University of New Jersey in the future. Those days are over!

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
That might be the worst comment in Internet History..Just look at the Rankings of those schools compared to Rutgers. Bloomsburg and State PA schools couldn't compare to a top Academic University like RU...Your living in the past when RU Wrestling sucked.

Rutgers has 3 coaches that will make 6 figures but you think its a better job at a PA State school where nobody sniffs that?

Last edited:
That might be the worst comment in Internet History..Just look at the Rankings of those schools compared to Rutgers. Bloomsburg and State PA schools couldn't compare to a top Academic University like RU...Your living in the past when RU Wrestling sucked.

Rutgers has 3 coaches that will make 6 figures but you think its a better job at a PA State school where nobody sniffs that?
You're biggest problem is its in New Jersey.

They're plenty competitive in the Big 10 already, and seem to be trending upward. With the new facilities, they should only get stronger. I'd expect more NJ talent with options to opt to stay close to home. All of these guys are having to pay some part of their education and, unless you're from a wealthy family, that in-state tuition has to be a plus for the local school.
They don't have to be a national title contender, they just have to put enough of a dent in PSU recruiting to bring them back down to earth a bit. The more quality east coast destinations there are to spread out the talent the better.

So a team that tied for 8th, took 11th, and tied for 8th the past three years at Big Tens is plenty competitive?

Last edited:

Are you talking about academic or wrestling? Shoot, it proves my point. You have coaches making bank and Edinboro out placed RU a few years ago with way less spent on coaches. Is the problem x and o’s (coaching) or Jimmys and Joes (players)??

Proud moment....worst comment in internet history. That’s an accomplishment right there.

Reactions: lookleft goright
That’s amazing. Can you list them?

LOL, that reminds me of the old Joke where the mother is angry that her son didn't eat his dinner.

Mother: "Son, there are a BILLION children in China that would love to eat your dinner!"

Son: "Name them":D

125-Rivera and Glory
133-Suriano
149-Ashnault
165-Lewis
184-Martin
Hwt-Cassar

Not sure who else but that’s pretty salty.
With Rutgers on the slow upswing they could be a powerhouse keeping a few recruits home. Or if they made a big hire like Iowa, PSU, and tOSU did. I’m not even sure who could make an instant impact like those hires. And by all accounts Pritzlaff is next in line and is on most short lists for any big hire.

125-Rivera and Glory
133-Suriano
149-Ashnault
165-Lewis
184-Martin
Hwt-Cassar

Not sure who else but that’s pretty salty.
With Rutgers on the slow upswing they could be a powerhouse keeping a few recruits home. Or if they made a big hire like Iowa, PSU, and tOSU did. I’m not even sure who could make an instant impact like those hires. And by all accounts Pritzlaff is next in line and is on most short lists for any big hire.

Jordan Burroughs is a jersey boy.

A man can hope right?

Jordan Burroughs is a jersey boy.

A man can hope right?
I understand the allure of Burrows, Taylor, Dake, Nolf and those big names, but the other hires were proven commodities who were head coaches. I’m not convinced any of them is a game changer other than their name.
Thoughts?

I understand the allure of Burrows, Taylor, Dake, Nolf and those big names, but the other hires were proven commodities who were head coaches. I’m not convinced any of them is a game changer other than their name.
Thoughts?

Not every great wrestler can be a great coach, But, the "pedigree" of the head coach seems to be important. I can't think of one coach that won an NCAA team championship without winning an individual championship himself.

I think Gable and Sanderson's legendary individual achievements in the sport were a key recruiting advantage for them.

Not every great wrestler can be a great coach, But, the "pedigree" of the head coach seems to be important. I can't think of one coach that won an NCAA team championship without winning an individual championship himself.

I think Gable and Sanderson's legendary individual achievements in the sport were a key recruiting advantage for them.
I agree with you 100%. But all the recent coaches of powerhouses cut their teeth after their success. Dake, Taylor, Burrows, Nolf, who are on the message board wish list haven’t done it yet. Not to say they won’t.

Maybe Rutgers will be ready to make one of those hires in the future after Goodale but it seems they’re happy with him now. The question is can he take them to the next level because with their prep talent they are a sleeping giant like PSU and OSU of a decade ago.

It’s the most densely populated state for a reason. People actually want to live here.
t

HAHAHAHAHAHA. So many people dream of living in Jersey.

Lets see how many people transfer into NJ... or will there just be a talent drain as usual.

125- Sebastian Rivera, NW - 15
133- Nick Suriano, Rutgers - 23
141- Joey McKenna, OSU - 19.5
149 - Anthony Ashnault, Rutgers - 21
157 - John Van Brill, Rutgers - 4.5
165 - Mekhi Lewis, Virginia Tech - 22
174 - David McFadden, Virginia Tech - 11
184 - Myles Martin, Ohio State - 17.5
197 -
285- Anthony Cassar, Penn State - 24

Reactions: MitchLL and jvclark
It’s the most densely populated state for a reason. People actually want to live here.

Close to fabulous NY shows and restaurants while having easy access to the beautiful shore!

That being said, I will never forget the famous late great George Carlin Joke:

"Kiss your girl where it stinks... take her to New Jersey! :D

Who will be their next big guy after Suriano? How many top guys will AA for them in the next 4 years?
I agree there is potential if they start keeping those high P4p guys home. I Dont know if thats is or will happen with the current coaching staff.

Reactions: slushhead
One problem is the campus - for those of you have never seen it - is rather unlovely, to be kind. Another is, yes, it's close to NYC, but so are Princeton and Columbia (which is on the upswing with it's RTC). The top wrestlers in NJ who can get into Ivy's often chose them or other top schools. Those who can't have plenty of other choices - PSU, OSU, UM, VT, etc. I can name many, many NJ champs who chose to go elsewhere in the last few years. So the key IMO is getting some top out of state kids. Ironically the whole "New Jersey" attitude of RU wrestling can work against them. Not everyone wants that kind of culture.

So why was PSU able to turn it around by hiring Cael? PSU was never an elite program before he took over (though not nearly as bad as Rutgers either), but was in a very talent rich state. RU has new facilities, 2 national champs, and is in the B1G. Get the right coach and sell the program. Probably will never lock all the NJ kids down because as others have noted a lot of those kids are form well off families that aspire to go Ivy Legue.

Who will be their next big guy after Suriano? How many top guys will AA for them in the next 4 years?
I agree there is potential if they start keeping those high P4p guys home. I Dont know if thats is or will happen with the current coaching staff.
JOJO Aragona!! + Possibly .. Ferrari ... possibly SVN???

For internships, being close to NYC is great. Other than that, how many college wrestlers do you think are making hour long trips to the city? I never understood that sales pitch when a college campus is often its own city and college kids are generally broke.

They better make a splash now as their roster doesnt suggest next season or the one after looking better than the one that just passed.

Reactions: hlstone
So why was PSU able to turn it around by hiring Cael? PSU was never an elite program before he took over (though not nearly as bad as Rutgers either), but was in a very talent rich state. RU has new facilities, 2 national champs, and is in the B1G. Get the right coach and sell the program. Probably will never lock all the NJ kids down because as others have noted a lot of those kids are form well off families that aspire to go Ivy Legue.
I think you sell Penn State a little short there. They won 16 EIWA championships and runner up another 16 times in 50 years or so. Certainly not IA or OSU level, but there were competitive in that conference with Cornell, Lehigh and the Ivies. They were an independent (like in FB), so no need to raise their game anymore than those in the EIWA. Certainly a much richer history than Rutgers. Once they got to the BIG they took it much more serious.

I gave part of my theory. For whatever reason a lot of kids in NJ don’t want to stay too close to home (but also don’t want to be too far away). And since NJ is a pretty small state, almost everyone in the state is fairly close to Rutgers. That’s not the case for PSU.

Now if Cael was the coach there maybe that would change. But there are only a couple guys who have close to the name recognition as Cael, and we don’t really know if many of them are actually any good at coaching.

I gave part of my theory. For whatever reason a lot of kids in NJ don’t want to stay too close to home (but also don’t want to be too far away). And since NJ is a pretty small state, almost everyone in the state is fairly close to Rutgers. That’s not the case for PSU.

Now if Cael was the coach there maybe that would change. But there are only a couple guys who have close to the name recognition as Cael, and we don’t really know if many of them are actually any good at coaching.
If you bring in the right Jimmies and Joes you don't have to be all that great as a Coach. If you do that, you'll be a great Coach in no time.

Regardless of the sport, the teams with elite talent win most of the time. The teams with elite Coaches win some of the time.

Nick Saban, John Wooden and Cael Sanderson aren't winning anything if they recruit me and a bunch of people like me.

Last edited:
If you bring in the right Jimmies and Joes you don't have to be all that great as a Coach. If you do that, you'll be a great Coach in no time.

Regardless of the sport, the teams with elite talent win most of the time. The teams with elite Coaches win some of the time.

Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Cael Sanderson aren't winning anything if they recruit me and a bunch of people like me.
That's right on. And RU hasn't shown they can bring in entire recruiting classes like PSU, IA, OSU and the others. Every couple of years you need a #1,2,3 ranked class. In between you need top 10 ranked classes. RU doesn't get those classes (and most likely never will). Sorry Banjo

Nick Saban, John Wooden and Cael Sanderson aren't winning anything if they recruit me and a bunch of people like me.
serious question 23- What will your new screen name become if Iowa wins the NC next year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT