ADVERTISEMENT

WIll Rutgers emerge as a new threat in BIG wrestling?

That's right on. And RU hasn't shown they can bring in entire recruiting classes like PSU, IA, OSU and the others. Every couple of years you need a #1,2,3 ranked class. In between you need top 10 ranked classes. RU doesn't get those classes (and most likely never will). Sorry Banjo
U r right, RU program also wasn’t supposed to be still around by now .. and u can’t reach the top without those recruiting classes

That's right on. And RU hasn't shown they can bring in entire recruiting classes like PSU, IA, OSU and the others. Every couple of years you need a #1,2,3 ranked class. In between you need top 10 ranked classes. RU doesn't get those classes (and most likely never will). Sorry Banjo

I think Rutgers is a sleeping giant. Not at penn state’s level, but surely a fixture in the top ten with some occasional legit chances to reach a trophy.

We have to keep studs at home. End of story. The high school pipeline is deep enough in NJ that we should be qualifying 8 weights a year even if the team is toploaded.

Maybe I am overly optimistic and blinded by a shiny new facility. I think NJ is the second best talent pool in the country for wrestling. No reason the state school can’t compete at a high level.

I think Rutgers is a sleeping giant. Not at penn state’s level, but surely a fixture in the top ten with some occasional legit chances to reach a trophy.

We have to keep studs at home. End of story. The high school pipeline is deep enough in NJ that we should be qualifying 8 weights a year even if the team is toploaded.

Maybe I am overly optimistic and blinded by a shiny new facility. I think NJ is the second best talent pool in the country for wrestling. No reason the state school can’t compete at a high level.
I think that's fair. You're in the Big Ten now to boot, so the dynamic has changed somewhat I'm sure.

Like most things, Build It and They Will Come. But that is cyclical as well. I'm told the Romans used to kick some ass.......;)

As much as I like to crack on Rutgers, they do have potential. However, be prepared for a big drop off in the short term. Next season Rutgers most likely won't even be the top team in Jerzey.

I think that's fair. You're in the Big Ten now to boot, so the dynamic has changed somewhat I'm sure.

Like most things, Build It and They Will Come. But that is cyclical as well. I'm told the Romans used to kick some ass.......;)

I can’t stress the conditions the team currently operates under... the room isn’t big enough for the whole team to practice at once. If your leaders are lighter guys, the bigger guys may not be in a practice with them frequently. The staff runs twice as many practices but still only has 1440 minutes in a day.

This isn’t a “shiny new toy” as much as it is a basic of high level sports organizations.

I may be wrong. I may end up right. But, I do think the upgraded facility will do a lot more than catch people’s eyes.

Reactions: slushhead
serious question 23- What will your new screen name become if Iowa wins the NC next year?

Honestly that's a great question. I know I'm not going to open it up to you yahoo's to determine it. ;)

Maybe Spencer Lee for President or something along those lines........

Aww, c'mon man! Let us help you out with a new name. I'll start the bidding with:
All_I_Can_Tell_You_Is_Which_One_Is_Next

Would go great with your avatar. Your call on whether to keep the underscores or just do it up catfan style and make it one long-ass word. ;)

Not every great wrestler can be a great coach, But, the "pedigree" of the head coach seems to be important. I can't think of one coach that won an NCAA team championship without winning an individual championship himself.

I think Gable and Sanderson's legendary individual achievements in the sport were a key recruiting advantage for them.
J Robinson...won a grand total of one NCAA Championships match in his career. Was never even an All-American.

Sorry but 2 Champs, a new facility, Big 10 conf and a deep, deep in-state talent pool still isnt enough for RU to become a perennial power in wrestling.

Every top school in the Big 10 & Ivy's can offer advantages equal or superior to RU.

However, what RU cant offer is a rich history of wrestling with tons of individual champs and most importantly a staff & HC that elite wrestlers across the nation are dying to be trained by.

"Hey kid, we have everything you could want plus Scott Goodale and a not so attractive campus, comparatively speaking"

or

"Hey kid, we have everything you could want plus Cael (or TnT or John Smith or Ryan or an Ivy League diploma or most beautiful campus around..etc )"

If we're talking elite wrestlers instate or especially out-of-state, how can RU compete, even a little bit, in recruiting?

I hope they can. NJ may have become the top wrestling state, even above Pa as far as elite wrestlers both in HS & college (yea, I said it). Just not in depth. NJ may be 1-2 deep where Pa is 4-5 deep. At the very least, their equal. RU hasnt been able to keep them home, not even close.

Comes back to the HC imo. Even if we stipulate SG is on the level of the best HCs out there, he cant compete with the glitz of who he competes against in recruiting for the best wrestlers.. Thats the missing piece imo, to give RU a shot at taking the next big step up

More competitive than the Wisconsin team they beat this year in an away dual and at Nationals.
Yea good joke. It was a tie dual with Wisconsin missing two of its starters. You also forgot to mention getting beat at Big Tens.

Not every great wrestler can be a great coach, But, the "pedigree" of the head coach seems to be important. I can't think of one coach that won an NCAA team championship without winning an individual championship himself.

I think Gable and Sanderson's legendary individual achievements in the sport were a key recruiting advantage for them.
Tom Ryan never won an individual NCAA championship and I am not sure Jay Robinson ever did. Also, what about Joe Seay. I have no idea about him.

Rutgers picks up 5 top 100 recruits. 3 from Pennsylvania. Having 2 National Champions for the 1st time looks Huge!

Top 100 Recruits

#6-JoJo Aragona, PA (141/149)

#26-Ryan Vulakh, PA (149/157)

#43-Jackson Turley, VA (174/184)

#64-Rob Kanniard, NJ (165/174)

#81-Devon Britton, PA (141)

Others: Zach Delvecchio, NJ (285)

Yeah, they're going to be problems. Much like Penn State has become ever since they started keeping their best prospects.

Reactions: lionlover
I think top 5 in the big is still locked up with PSU, tOSU, Iowa, Mich and Minnesota. Rutgers will be battling Nebraska for that next tier and will still have to watch out for Illinois or NW.

The. Big 10 is just that good at the top.

Now the NJRTC is showing they can have an athlete at the next level as well. Things are definitely looking up for Rutgers.

I think they can get to a VT/Missouri/NC State type program where they are a consistent top 10/15 team and pushing for a top 5 every few years.

Yea good joke. It was a tie dual with Wisconsin missing two of its starters. You also forgot to mention getting beat at Big Tens.
Yeah and You forgot to mention Rutgers also beating Wisconsin when it counts in The NCAA Tournament! So Rutgers beat Wisconsin in a dual and out pointed them at The Big Show! Rutgers is going to be better then Wisconsin in the future..Bono is a Great Coach and will be good but Wisconsin won't be able to keep up when the Elite NJ/PA/NY Wrestlers commit to Rutgers and its happening finally..Stay tuned! Also just be advised there is No such thing as a tied dual in NCAA Wrestling anymore!

Last edited:
My wife is half Sicilian; she kicks my ass in this century as well.o_O
At least you might eat well. I get misty when I think about the seven fishes on Christmas Eve.

I like having a powerful Rutgers team:
1. They'll keep some decent recruits from PSU and Cornell.
2. They'll give wrestling fans in the New York area a team to follow besides the two above.
3. I have friends from there who are attitude-free, unlike the two above. Jersey reminds me of CR if it was across the river from New York City.

Last edited:
When Cornell came in and dominated recruiting in NJ this year, I realized that they are pretty far behind. With how the state is set up and the sport being dominated by upper and upper middle class families in NJ, the top kids are just as concerned about academics as they are wrestling. Rutgers will get better but so will Princeton.

Do you honestly believe that NJ is that different than anywhere else? As a former resident of the state, your premise is certainly not what I observed.
Since you brought up Princeton, if Upper income families dominate, why is Princeton not players no football above the Ivy League standard.

Do you honestly believe that NJ is that different than anywhere else? As a former resident of the state, your premise is certainly not what I observed.
Since you brought up Princeton, if Upper income families dominate, why is Princeton not players no football above the Ivy League standard.

What does football have to do with the post you quoted?

NJ is different from a lot of other states because pretty much the entire state is a suburb of 2 of the biggest cities in the country. There is a lot of money there. I’m not sure I’d say wrestling is “dominated” by the upper middle class in NJ, but it’s probably not far off.

Yeah and You forgot to mention Rutgers also beating Wisconsin when it counts in The NCAA Tournament! So Rutgers beat Wisconsin in a dual and out pointed them at The Big Show! Rutgers is going to be better then Wisconsin in the future..Bono is a Great Coach and will be good but Wisconsin won't be able to keep up when the Elite NJ/PA/NY Wrestlers commit to Rutgers and its happening finally..Stay tuned! Also just be advised there is No such thing as a tied dual in NCAA Wrestling anymore!
Rutgers won’t be better in any aspect(dual, Big Ten, or NCAA) this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT