ADVERTISEMENT

Will Saturday's game in Minnesota be the coldest in college football history?

Question is will the offense be colder than the temps lol.....and you crazys going to the game warm your pipes with some JD

Since that cold game in MN in the DJK/Ruddock era, the Vikings played at the stadium and upgraded the playing surface with in ground heaters so at least the field should be in better condition than before.

Reactions: hawkhockey
Iowa actually won the blizzard game of 1991 at Kinnick Stadium over Minnesota 23-8. It was Hayden Fry's 100th Hawkeye win.

The entire state was closed down, including I-80, Saturday morning. But we drove to Iowa City from Davenport anyway. You couldn't see where the road was because everything was so deep in snow. We drove slowly and were still one of the first ones in the stands that were caked in ice and deep snow. And yes, that's the game where Danan Hughes caught a TD pass and made a snow angel in the south end zone. The estimated attendance was about 35,000.

Iowa only led 3-0 at the half, but the offense heated up in the 28-degree weather (minus 7 wind chill) in the second half, despite the field being a virtual ice rink. The Hawkeyes finished the game with 23 first downs, 120 yards rushing, and 270 yards passing for a total offense of 390 yards. Minnesota was held to 197 yards, including only 65 on the ground on 38 attempts. Here's a link to a game recap: https://hawkeyerecap.com/game.asp?id=356

And here's the YouTube video (no sound):

If you haven't seen it, you really need to check it out. You still might not believe it.

Hughes caught a pair of TD passes from Matt Rodgers that day, one for 45 yards, which culminated a 94-yard drive, the 10-1 Hawkeyes' longest of the season, and the other for 32.

Here's another link for coverage from the Daily Iowan: chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://dailyiowan.lib.uiowa.edu/DI/1991/di1991-11-25.pdf

Those of us who were there will never forget that day.
I remember that game well. Couldn't believe Rodgers returned from his knee injury in those conditions. We sat pretty low in the stands, so we got pelted by snowballs all game.

2013 Michigan was the coldest kickoff temp in Kinnick history at 18.

2015 Purdue was a brutal combination of snow and cold, but we were 10-0 so it was worth it.

2012 Nebraska had the fiercest cold wind that I can recall.

Good luck to those going to the game this weekend.
That's it. I was at both those games and the Nebby game was way worse IMO.

The 91 Minny game, my neighbor called and said he had 2 tickets and a 5th of 151 Schnapps. We bought hot chocolate at the game and imbibed. That was a lot of fun but it was damn cold.

Since that cold game in MN in the DJK/Ruddock era, the Vikings played at the stadium and upgraded the playing surface with in ground heaters so at least the field should be in better condition than before.
That was Stanzi at QB yet for that one. 2010.

2015 Purdue was a brutal combination of snow and cold, but we were 10-0 so it was worth it.

To add to that list:

2015 @ Nebraska to clinch the undefeated season was brutal, particularly after the Purdue game the week before.

An under the radar very cold one was mid-90's against Northwestern in IC where Darnell Autry ran for about 250 and broke our spirit.

Michigan State in 2000 when Kirk got his first Big Ten win.

Weather/temps that cold puts a premium on toughness and focus - two things I’d say are consistent strengths for Iowa football.

Minn has a more established running game and experienced running back in those type of conditions.

As long as KJ can be himself AND protect the ball, I’m confident our toughness and focus will win out!

Iowa actually won the blizzard game of 1991 at Kinnick Stadium over Minnesota 23-8. It was Hayden Fry's 100th Hawkeye win.

The entire state was closed down, including I-80, Saturday morning. But we drove to Iowa City from Davenport anyway. You couldn't see where the road was because everything was so deep in snow. We drove slowly and were still one of the first ones in the stands that were caked in ice and deep snow. And yes, that's the game where Danan Hughes caught a TD pass and made a snow angel in the south end zone. The estimated attendance was about 35,000.

Iowa only led 3-0 at the half, but the offense heated up in the 28-degree weather (minus 7 wind chill) in the second half, despite the field being a virtual ice rink. The Hawkeyes finished the game with 23 first downs, 120 yards rushing, and 270 yards passing for a total offense of 390 yards. Minnesota was held to 197 yards, including only 65 on the ground on 38 attempts. Here's a link to a game recap: https://hawkeyerecap.com/game.asp?id=356

If you haven't seen it, you really need to check it out. You still might not believe it.

Hughes caught a pair of TD passes from Matt Rodgers that day, one for 45 yards, which culminated a 94-yard drive, the 10-1 Hawkeyes' longest of the season, and the other for 32.

Here's another link for coverage from the Daily Iowan: chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://dailyiowan.lib.uiowa.edu/DI/1991/di1991-11-25.pdf

I was there. The snowballs were bombing all around the Minnesota punter.

I had graduated the year before and was still bumming around IC.

Not football, but I was up there for the Blues Wild Winter Classic. It was below zero for the puck drop.

Barely made it through the first period and I had had on a ton of layers. Heated boots were needed and lacking.

Let's. Go. Blues @CJBauer

And Hawks

Reactions: Ray Kinsella
I was at the Gopher-OSU game in 14 with my buddy from Ohio. It was around 15 above and light snow falling all day. I was dressed like the Michelin man.

Sorry bro, but you can't get to -7 WC with 28 temp...100 mph wind only gets you to + 3...
Sorry bro, I thought you understood that it got colder as the day went on. It didn't stay 28 all game. That's just what it was at kickoff, so before the game was over, it had dipped to minus 7 wind chill, according to multiple reports . . . and according to my own very personal experience. But hey, thanks for playing.

Sorry bro, I thought you understood that it got colder as the day went on. It didn't stay 28 all game. That's just what it was at kickoff, so before the game was over, it had dipped to minus 7 wind chill, according to multiple reports . . . and according to my own very personal experience. But hey, thanks for playing.
To be fair.....you never said anything about the temperature getting colder. You said "28 degree weather(-7 wind chill)." People aren't mind readers......they can only go by what you wrote. Be more clear next time.

A stupid Holiday Bowl bid awaited. Big Ten made an agreement with the Holiday Bowl to send the 2nd place team in the conference to that bowl. What a joke. 10-1 and highly ranked and we got screwed by that agreement.

It could be. 14 degrees with WNW wind at 17 mph = -3 windchill. I know the coldest game ever at Kinnick was vs. Michigan 2013 @ 18 degrees at kickoff.

THE COLDEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAME: THE SNOW BOWL​

The 1950 Michigan and Ohio State game is important for a couple of reasons. It featured what were then two really good football teams, and are now two of the winningest and rowdiest football programs in the history of college football.

Oh, and it was the coldest game in the history of college football.

Columbus, Ohio is no stranger to cold weather and a ton of snow. But the single-day November record for snowfall was set on November 25th, 1950, the morning before Michigan rolled into town to take on Ohio State. A full seven and a half inches came out of nowhere to dust all of Columbus, and the game started with a total whiteout. The field was frozen underneath a tarp and the conditions were so bad that players felt that they couldn’t spring or change direction. The teams decided that the best strategy was to kick the ball to the opponent and hope for a mistake. It might be the only game in history in which the first play from scrimmage was a punt by Michigan. Both teams tried to punt the ball back and forth and then would take shots at the endzone with field goals.

The temperature that day, the “Snow Bowl,” was around 13 degrees. And the 30-35 mile per hour wind took the game down to a wind chill of around -4 degrees. The game kept snowing and dumping snow onto the players. Players reported seeing fans walking into the stadium, constantly slipping and falling. Michigan ended up winning the game with only 27 yards of offense. The Michigan team, shockingly, had not a single first down and had no pass completions. The losing Ohio State team had more yards and 3 more completions than the Michigan team.
My nuts are already sticking to the aluminum at the dump they call a stadium in Minny

• Haha
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Was anybody besides me at the blizzard game in Iowa City in 1990 or 1991? An outright blizzard. We just barely got to IC and they closed I-80 right after that. Reggie Roby kicked off and put the ball halfway up the stands in the south end zone. We beat Minnesota I think 6-3.

I remember that very distinctly. Coolest part was Iowa DB knocking down the goalposts in the end zone although Dallas Clark’s 97 yard TD completion was pretty awesome as well. Still can’t believe that lady from Carroll had sex in the bathroom that day.

Crazy.

No today in Bozeman Mont it’s 6 degrees.

I remember that very distinctly. Coolest part was Iowa DB knocking down the goalposts in the end zone although Dallas Clark’s 97 yard TD completion was pretty awesome as well. Still can’t believe that lady from Carroll had sex in the bathroom that day.

Crazy.

Ron Hawley reference!

Crazy.
#Iseewhatyoudidthere

Purdue 2015 was the worst I can recall. Big snowstorm the night before so there was ice under your feet wherever you sat. People were continually slipping on the ice and it was awful.
Here’s a picture of our seats from that game.

Reactions: Suterman
200w.gif

ADVERTISEMENT