ADVERTISEMENT

Will the offenses decide it?

RomanHawk

HB MVP
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2019
At the end of he season, when we look back at the division title, I think we'll see that this game
was pivotal. IMO, it's crucial.

By midseason, I think it will be clear that we have a better defense than Indiana. But with our
youth on the DL, I see the defenses as a draw in this game.

I see it as being won by the offense that can assert itself in the 4th quarter. But in close games,
our offense almost never does. We not only don't score, or even control the ball, but have trouble making first downs.

We have the talent at OL, receiver, and RB to change that. But we need improvement in OC and QB performance to accomplish it.

Specifically, these are areas that can help us achieve the needed consistency:

-better short and midrange passing accuracy and QB scrambling ability
(we all have our own guess as to whether that will be accomplished)

-elimination of several plays that keep getting run but with with poor results and amount to
drive killers. First is passing for 5 yards when 7 yards is needed for a first down. A cautious
QB will (and has) defaulted to the safety value too often. It pads stats, but doesn't produce first downs. Second is the quick sideline pass. It has little up side (usually plus or minus 2 yards) but is a huge pick-6 risk. Third is the 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 3 line plunge. Whether our zone blocking is signaling the point of attack or whatever, the defense often has 2/3 guys there before our runner can get out of the backfield. It's been so bad that recently we consider that to be a passing situation. We probably have more lost yardage running plays than any team that considers itself a running team. More misdirection can help that.

Another area of possible improvement is the 2 minute drill. In 22 years, our good ones can be counted on one hand. They aren't rocket science. First, a play should never be run that doesn't have an extremely high probability of ending with clock stoppage (OB or incomplete or first down). And the obvious snapping of the ball quickly after it is set in play.

If we can make some improvement in several of these areas, I think we win.

Last edited:
Reactions: djd15837
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News