ADVERTISEMENT

Will this Hawk OLine solve Wisky's 3-4-4 defense?

Purdue got burned badly on hot routes when they blitzed, so I expect to see less linebacker blitzing from WI. Having more experienced receivers helps a lot with the hot reads and timing routes, so I think they'll have to play it more conservatively on defense. I'm confident our defense will do what they always do.

Reactions: ichawk24
This is incorrect. The Purdue offense had plenty of chances. Iowa held them to 3.4 yards per play vs 5.7 which is what they averaged vs everyone else. They also turned them over twice which is what Iowa does. I don't ever bet on the Iowa offense but I am very confident that the D holds them under 14 points which is what they have done in every game except OSU and Michigan. I don't know that the O gets it done.
I don't disagree that the D is genuinely good. However, part of the reason they held purdue to much lower than their offensive averages is because the O stayed on the field allowing the D the legs, some luxury to be creative, and face fewer opposition drives. I will concede that they might have been able to maitain the per play average for even more drives but the more chances you give pu (or anybody for that matter) the higher the likelihood of giving up points.

Even against osu and mi, the D was indeed good but the final score wasn't because the O did nothing (neither via scores nor TOP) ie they left the D was out to dry. If the D had to face fewer drives and/or enjoyed better field position, the osu and mi scores (for that matter even il) don't end up where they did.

....., and the pass would be one KF would consider to be too risky, without realizing that the real risk is not trying the only path to a win.

That is a very good point being that Kirk etc dont try to attack at all levels of the field. At least the last 4 to 5 years. Stanley had his early years struggling with deep ball accuracy and Petras has hardly ever thrown many deep balls, just a few a year. I and many others think you just have to throw deep to keep the safeties away from the box and helping against the run game.

And just getting one PI penalty a game against your opponent can help lead to a score.

Purdue got burned badly on hot routes when they blitzed, so I expect to see less linebacker blitzing from WI. Having more experienced receivers helps a lot with the hot reads and timing routes, so I think they'll have to play it more conservatively on defense. I'm confident our defense will do what they always do.
Wisconsin will send linebackers early and often. It’s what Leonhard has done his entire career

The Purdue DBs are among the worst in the conference, so I imagine they felt their best chance was to heat Petras up

Doesn't seem like this is the line to "solve" anything. If they can fight the front seven to come out about even, that would be a huge win for Iowa.

But they're improving and growing. I'm pretty optimistic about this game.

See you all there, its gonna be cold.
I think wiscy stacks the box and forces SP to win the game.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
I don't disagree that the D is genuinely good. However, part of the reason they held purdue to much lower than their offensive averages is because the O stayed on the field allowing the D the legs, some luxury to be creative, and face fewer opposition drives. I will concede that they might have been able to maitain the per play average for even more drives but the more chances you give pu (or anybody for that matter) the higher the likelihood of giving up points.

Even against osu and mi, the D was indeed good but the final score wasn't because the O did nothing (neither via scores nor TOP) ie they left the D was out to dry. If the D had to face fewer drives and/or enjoyed better field position, the osu and mi scores (for that matter even il) don't end up where they did.

And let's not forget that the MIch game was no total blowout. The hawk defense was a little tentative on the opening Mich drive which ended up with a TD. But from then on until the very late Mich TD when the hawks had to go on 4th down and gave Mich great field position, the Hawk defense only gave up 13 points while the offense did absolutely almost nothing.

Mich did not clobber the hawks and even some decent offense, like the drive that failed at the Mich 4 yd line, would have had Jimmy Harbaugh sweating.

And just getting one PI penalty a game against your opponent can help lead to a score.
That's a factor we badly overlook. It's driven me nuts for years that on third down we often throw short of first down (almost sure to require a punt) rather than throwing longer and forcing the defense to make a play which is when most PIs happen. In fact if I'm the WR coach, I would TEACH how to draw a PI.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
What? They have two good running backs. Allen is a stud, Guerendo is good as well. Mertz isn’t quite as bad as Petras is, so if they can run the ball they will win.
I just came back to dunk all over this. They ain’t that good. Period.

ADVERTISEMENT