ADVERTISEMENT

Will we hear from any of our Clone friends today?

InsHAWK

HB MVP
Mar 3, 2008
I want to hear more about how none of our skill players make their 2 deeps. And they take Richardson over Bethard any day at QB.

I want to hear more about how none of our skill players make their 2 deeps. And they take Richardson over Bethard any day at QB.

Mabin and King shut them down for the most part and Lazard didn't do anything on returns.

Yes I can't wait for them to come over and brag about their attendance for the first 2 home games and student enrollment they've been bragging about. Cause after yesterday that's about all they can boast about.

Plus I'm sure they'll point to their defense losing one of their best defenders when their NT sprained his ankle but Iowa also lost Ott earlier in the game too.

I find myself having very mixed feelings this morning......enjoyed the win..really happy we won.......but I keep realizing it was Iowa state....and I'm not sure they are any better than their usual 3 win self.

Reactions: NI hawk
If they don't get some additional wins this year besides just Kansas they're going to have to put mannequins in all those new seats to help support their inflated attendance numbers.

Reactions: king_james_23
ISU looked like an improved team and they're going to pull off a couple of Big XII upsets along the way to what could be a mediocre season--which would actually be a big improvement!
This is probably accurate. There will be games will teams will turn the ball over. This game could have turned for the worse very quickly if Iowa had turned it over a couple times in the first half. Iowa State will have their opportunities and is good enough to capitalize with a short field.

This is probably accurate. There will be games will teams will turn the ball over. This game could have turned for the worse very quickly if Iowa had turned it over a couple times in the first half. Iowa State will have their opportunities and is good enough to capitalize with a short field.
Most honest Iowa State fans will admit that iowa is one of their toughest 3 or 4 opponents on their schedule this year.

They could have a nice seasob, but it depends which QB they get. If it's the Richardson we saw in the first half they're in the upper tier of the Big 12. If it's that guy we saw in the second half..... Well....... It might be a long year

ISU looked like an improved team and they're going to pull off a couple of Big XII upsets along the way to what could be a mediocre season--which would actually be a big improvement!

The key for isu is going to be injuries. Their front line talent is probably good enough to hang with most teams but if they start losing starters their margin for error is very thin.

In the second half it looked as if Iowa basically stopped worrying much about ISU's running game and focused insted on covering those amazing, fantastic, incredible Big XII receivers--none of whom could get open despite facing a slow, un-athletic, below average Hawkeye secondary (they are mere BIG players, after all). Yet Richardson gets ripped for not doing his job. Gotta love it!

Not sure why you would Brag that your school is "Bigger". Most of the Elite schools are actually smaller. IE: Duke 6,400 Stanford 15,000 etc.

I find myself having very mixed feelings this morning......enjoyed the win..really happy we won.......but I keep realizing it was Iowa state....and I'm not sure they are any better than their usual 3 win self.

I would agree with you lessening the win yesterday except you have to remember this game is their season. Poor teams are hard to beat when they get as jacked for a game as ISUck does against Iowa. A wins a win, no more rearviewmirror.

The Clones looked improved and I will be cheering them on the rest of the way. It appears they may have a hole at the RB position, but perhaps someone will emerge for them.

The Clowns play out of their minds against Iowa. They can claim its not their Super Bowl but history bespeaks the true story. I'm too tired to look it back up but even in the years when they beat us they usually (like all but 4 or 5 years) still had fewer total wins. They've also had a run of incredible luck in the bounces of the ball in recent years.

Last year was a perfect example. Iowa was a mediocre team but much more talented than ISU. Yet they play like Berserkers and pull out one of their two wins in the last second.

Hawks come out flat far too often. Personally, I think the staff understates the game to counteract all the community emotion.

Yesterday was off to a similar story. Clowns playing great, Richardson looking like Montana, etc.... The bounces, breaks and mental mistakes going heavily in their favor.

ISU is better this year. Maybe a four rather than a two win team. But still not very good.

Iowa also appears better this year. Every part of our game looks improved over last year playing very similar, almost identical, competition. Not great but certainly better.

For Iowa the perfect record for ISU is 5 to 7 wins. 5 when Iowa is down 7 when Iowa is good. That way a win or loss isn't looked as so bad. But they aren't taking over as the team in Iowa.

Reactions: boxcar41
If Iowa State would play that hard and with that much passion vs every opponent, they would likely win more games each year.

I've been to many ISU games and the fans and the players never have that much intensity outside of the Iowa game, regardless of what they try to tell you.

I thought ISU looked significantly better than they were last year. They really looked to have plugged some holes with their JUCO's (something I wish we would do more of when it is completely apparent that we are going to have massive issues at a position, such as LB last year). That being said, their schedule is brutal and they may only get a couple more wins (if that). I think their next game against Toledo is going to be very, very tough, and it will be interesting to see what their psyche is like after the game yesterday. After that, they get Kansas, which they should win you would think, but after that I am not sure there is another win for them on the schedule. Plus, I think they have lots of depth issues that are going to keep them from winning games later in the year that they might have pulled off earlier, such as the Texas game. If they get any more than 3 wins this year, I think they are overachieving to some degree. Which is tough, because I really don't think they are a terrible team at all, certainly better than a typical 3 win team. They really need a dynamic RB to help their offense out.

ISU's defense got blocked a lot and missed a lot of tackles on Sat. They will need to get better against D1 offenses if they plan on winning more than 3-4 games.

Granted, many ISU posters are on my ignore list, but geez -- it's crickets around here today. OK by me!

GO HAWKS!

Reactions: lenoxhawks
Congrats on the win. Iowa clearly dominated the second half. Beathard played much better than Richardson. Iowa did an excellent job of adjusting at halftime. ISU did not. I had hoped both teams would have come through the game injury free; hopefully Tucker, Ott and Daniels aren't out for extended time frames.

Now, I will say something that will garner comment. To say that Iowa State "cares" about this game more than Iowa is beyond stupid. Calling it Iowa State's "Superbowl" is insulting to everyone's intelligence. Both teams care immensely, both fanbases care immensely. Your hero Hayden Fry knew how important it was to "win" the state. He did so for years and Iowa State is still paying the price for not finding a way to break that 15 year streak much, much earlier.

So again, congratulations on the win. Iowa earned it. I respect that and can acknowledge the accomplishment.

Go Cyclones!

I just got back from Ames. I think Iowa State is a much improved team over last year, even when we were healthy. We are deeper this year and haven't been hurt too bad by injuries. It hurt yesterday when Tucker was lost, but hopefully he will be back. That's no excuse as Iowa also suffered some key losses in the game.

The offense is a real question mark this year. We didn't lose that much from last year, so you would expect with all the experienced players coming back it would be pretty good. But two games in and the running game is nowhere to be found. That doesn't surprise me too much against Iowa as the Hawkeyes are almost always tough to run on. The lack of consistency in the passing game was puzzling. It seemed like Richardson had time, but he couldn't find anybody. I hope that just means Iowa's defense is that good.

It always hurts to lose to Iowa, but it really hurts this year because it was one of only 5 games that appeared to be opportunities to win before the season began. That leaves three left barring upsets and of those three Toledo now looks like they may be out of our league. They just went into Arkansas and took down a ranked team. And we have to travel there. It's going to take a lot better play on offense than we seen so far to come away from there with a win. Maybe we will get lucky and a couple of Big 12 teams will struggle. Texas may be the next on the list of opportunities. It feels so strange to even think that with all the talent they accumulate, but right now I wouldn't put them ahead of Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas State or West Virginia.

I really enjoyed the game yesterday. The second half was frustrating, but it seemed like a really good battle out there until late in the fourth quarter. There were some great defensive plays being made by both teams in that game. Iowa would get pinned back and then break off a big play to get out of trouble. In the following weeks we will learn how good these teams are. I honestly don't know. My impression is that they are pretty good on defense, with Iowa being particularly impressive. I'm not sure about either offense, and especially wonder what the heck is going on with Iowa State.

Anyway the game is over, my team lost and I'm here and will be as long as there is some Cyclone discussion going on. There is still a lot of season left to play.

I just got back from Ames. I think Iowa State is a much improved team over last year, even when we were healthy. We are deeper this year and haven't been hurt too bad by injuries. It hurt yesterday when Tucker was lost, but hopefully he will be back. That's no excuse as Iowa also suffered some key losses in the game.

The offense is a real question mark this year. We didn't lose that much from last year, so you would expect with all the experienced players coming back it would be pretty good. But two games in and the running game is nowhere to be found. That doesn't surprise me too much against Iowa as the Hawkeyes are almost always tough to run on. The lack of consistency in the passing game was puzzling. It seemed like Richardson had time, but he couldn't find anybody. I hope that just means Iowa's defense is that good.

It always hurts to lose to Iowa, but it really hurts this year because it was one of only 5 games that appeared to be opportunities to win before the season began. That leaves three left barring upsets and of those three Toledo now looks like they may be out of our league. They just went into Arkansas and took down a ranked team. And we have to travel there. It's going to take a lot better play on offense than we seen so far to come away from there with a win. Maybe we will get lucky and a couple of Big 12 teams will struggle. Texas may be the next on the list of opportunities. It feels so strange to even think that with all the talent they accumulate, but right now I wouldn't put them ahead of Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas State or West Virginia.

I really enjoyed the game yesterday. The second half was frustrating, but it seemed like a really good battle out there until late in the fourth quarter. There were some great defensive plays being made by both teams in that game. Iowa would get pinned back and then break off a big play to get out of trouble. In the following weeks we will learn how good these teams are. I honestly don't know. My impression is that they are pretty good on defense, with Iowa being particularly impressive. I'm not sure about either offense, and especially wonder what the heck is going on with Iowa State.

Anyway the game is over, my team lost and I'm here and will be as long as there is some Cyclone discussion going on. There is still a lot of season left to play.

It seems to me isu doesn't have a lot of depth at the line of scrimmage for either side of the ball. I think the margin of error for isu will be pretty thin unless they don't have any more injuries on either line.

Speaking of ISU posters I've not seen in while what happened to Cygarin. I miss his cherry picking of stats.

Congrats on the win. Iowa clearly dominated the second half. Beathard played much better than Richardson. Iowa did an excellent job of adjusting at halftime. ISU did not. I had hoped both teams would have come through the game injury free; hopefully Tucker, Ott and Daniels aren't out for extended time frames.

Now, I will say something that will garner comment. To say that Iowa State "cares" about this game more than Iowa is beyond stupid. Calling it Iowa State's "Superbowl" is insulting to everyone's intelligence. Both teams care immensely, both fanbases care immensely. Your hero Hayden Fry knew how important it was to "win" the state. He did so for years and Iowa State is still paying the price for not finding a way to break that 15 year streak much, much earlier.

So again, congratulations on the win. Iowa earned it. I respect that and can acknowledge the accomplishment.

Go Cyclones!
I think the superbowl stuff gets blown out of proportion as well. I think back in the days of McCarney there was some validity to it and Ferentz didn't put as much emphasis on the game. He treated the game like we treat our other rivalry games, of which we have several...namely, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and now Nebraska, and it wasn't terribly different preparation-wise from any other week. We almost never matched ISU's intensity back then, and frankly, ISU had not really earned our respect at that point. But after reeling off 5 in a row, ISU definitely had our attention and with the competitive back-and-forth nature of the series over the last 10 years, even after Ferentz had brought Iowa back from the low point at the end of Hayden's tenure, I think Iowa has clearly put much more emphasis and effort into the game and matched ISU's intensity (especially this year).

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
They could have a nice seasob, but it depends which QB they get. If it's the Richardson we saw in the first half they're in the upper tier of the Big 12. If it's that guy we saw in the second half..... Well....... It might be a long year

After Toledo beating Arkansas yesterday the only game I'd feel comfortable for a win is Kansas If I was an ISU fan. And I do think they are better than last year especially on D. Wr are solid but no running game could be a killer. Sure will pick up one or 2 more but who knows. Texas tech on the road won't be easy maybe Texas at home. Hate to say it but yesterday could have been the first nail in Rhoads coffin.

Like I just wrote in the Lounge, even after a nice win over ISU, I'm still a big proponent of dropping, or greatly reducing, the series with ISU, From a national perspective, Iowa gains very little from beating a perennial weak program like ISU, but lots of "guff" when losing to the cyclowns. Why does Iowa help to financially support another in-state program by playing every other year in Ames? If it must continue, why not play them 2 out of 3 times in Kinnick and take the 4th year off? I would imagine if the Iowa AD took that as a "take it or leave it" proposal to ISU, they would balk, but eventually "take it". If not, too bad, with only 3 non-conference games in the future, Iowa can certainly find a replacement game from another geographical location that would also enhance recruiting other areas.

People do like this game. Maybe not on MB's but casual fans do. That said I wouldn't mind 2 years on 2 years off. Gives both schools flexibility in playing other P5 teams.

It appears to me that way more ISU fans than Iowa fans like and want this game to continue. I still contend that it's a lose/lose situation for Iowa.

Last edited:

So where did your juco RB K Williams end up at. Could find no info as to who he went with. Did not see him on roster for Rich Rods wildcats.

I think more people in the state of Iowa want this game than not. At least in regards to football fans. I would bet the majority of Iowa fans want this game. It's great for the state.

I don't know if I can argue it's a lose/lose situation for Iowa but I can argue that this game won't be going away anytime soon. Might as well buckle up and deal with it.

The game was on in the Pacific Northwest on Fox.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT