ADVERTISEMENT

Will you go if you can? IOWA had sold 40,000 football Season Tix, incl those going to students.

As of Sunday, 578 deaths in Minnesota have been officially linked to COVID-19.

The breakdown:
462: 80% of the 578 deaths have occurred in nursing homes
116: total covid deaths in MN outside of nursing homes

And even though they have nursing homes locked down and they should, we are all supposed to hide in our closet too. What they need is to continue the lock down on those and have rapid testing for the workers that are needed to staff those places.

Extremely rare. But yeah media can make anything seem common place.

I traveled to Australia once and was talking with locals and they wondered how people in the central US survived all the tornados. You guessed it that is what their media showed all the time.
You tell them we are heavy people?

What are your plans for buying this year with so many unknowns?
I renewed. I do not expect any decision to cancel to come before the 29th of May deadline, at worst I would expect a "spring" season in 2021 to be thrown out there, with the appropriate rescheduling. Football pays for athletic budgets, so it will have priority over every other sport.

The reality is that a 6' social distancing isn't really possible in a stadium unless you're selling around 1 ticket for every 9'ish spaces, meaning Kinnink would have around 7500 attending, plus the distancing in line to even enter. Temp screenings outside in non-ambient temperatures at this point are not capable of accuracy.

My donation level to both the University and the HWC remains the same, as at this point my income is not affected by the virus. So I have and will proceed as 'normal' as possible.

On the fence about tickets again after a few years off. But now that both daughters are at the U of I, might have to do it or attend a few games depending on the decisions with regards to the virus.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Renewed a long time ago.
  • If they let me in the stadium this Fall, I will attend every game regardless of how many feet other fans are away from me.
  • If they require me to wear a mask, I will comply and yell more loudly on 3rd down to compensate for it.
  • If they tell me the season is actually going to be in January and February.....I might examine that refund policy a bit more closely.

I already renewed but have not yet made the required donation. I think the University extended the deadline for donations until the end of May.

Renewed a long time ago.
  • If they let me in the stadium this Fall, I will attend every game regardless of how many feet other fans are away from me.
  • If they require me to wear a mask, I will comply and yell more loudly on 3rd down to compensate for it.
  • If they tell me the season is actually going to be in January and February.....I might examine that refund policy a bit more closely.

I renewed as well and could not have said it any better about my plans for attending the games.

This is a virus- not going away anytime soon. It has to run it’s course with millions and millions getting it and immunity, or getting it and surviving . Yes it is going to kill thousands, but a bad flu season kills 60000 and we just function. We did what we did to flatten the curve so hospitals did not get over run. If the asshats in California and New York spent more on respirators and n95 masks instead of giving free shit to illegals they would have been ready. This thing will mutate and be back —so never again should we destroy our economy.

I hope it waits a few years to mutate.. Thank you tho very very much

Now that is some kind of stupid. Tell that to all the companies with USA help trying to find one for covid 19.
You're the stupid one. There may never be a vaccine. Where is the one for HIV? And even if they find one, they are often only 50-60% effective. And if it takes a year, or even 6 months, our economy will never recover vs China. Hanging your hat on a vaccine is a surrender mentality.
And by the way, I'm in the vulnerable category.

Last edited:
You're the stupid one. There may never be a vaccine. Where is the one for HIV? And even if they find one, they are often only 50-60% effective. And if it takes a year, or even 6 months, our economy will never recover vs China. Hanging your hat on a vaccine is a surrender mentality.
And by the way, I'm in the vulnerable category.
Well go out then like Fox News says. Herd together and create immortality. I have heard from people a lot smarter than me that the way out of this is the vaccine. So go be a hero if you want.

I give it 1 in 4 chance there are students on campus this fall.

There will be students on campus. You can bury them (the schools) if there is not. Will be rules in place for masks, etc. Numbers in classrooms, etc and free daily testing. Assume all food would be to go and dining areas closed except for pick up.

maybe profs or assistant do temp checks. Some classes could be online. For those large gen ed classes, why not just have those online. It is not like you get any face time with the prof in those anyway.

There will be students on campus. You can bury them (the schools) if there is not. Will be rules in place for masks, etc. Numbers in classrooms, etc and free daily testing. Assume all food would be to go and dining areas closed except for pick up.

maybe profs or assistant do temp checks. Some classes could be online. For those large gen ed classes, why not just have those online. It is not like you get any face time with the prof in those anyway.
It is unreasonable to assume college students will follow any social distancing practices or wear masks. Look at "mature" adults in our society refusing to do it. It is far from certain that there will be in-person classes at UIowa this fall.

I give it higher than a 25% chance, but I do agree that it is questionable.

It is unreasonable to assume college students will follow any social distancing practices or wear masks. Look at "mature" adults in our society refusing to do it. It is far from certain that there will be in-person classes at UIowa this fall.

If you are gonna get fined or tossed out, yeah. You kinda know the rules going in. Out and about in Iowa City then no they can do what they wish.

Thinking back to being that age, this would be so far down on my list of concerns. It wouldn't even register with my 18 year old self.

My son got student tickets and bought the extra guest tickets, I didn’t ask him too. Am I allowed to sit in the student section

My son got student tickets and bought the extra guest tickets, I didn’t ask him too. Am I allowed to sit in the student section

Yes you are. I did for friends and family when I was a student for a few games years ago. Back then nobody cared what so ever if you sat in the student section if you had a ticket or not. Cause always empty spots up top minus the big games.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
$$ sent in and plan on attending without dying since i’m not over 70 with pre existing health concerns.
have they told you how this will work yet? it will be interesting to see what happens. who knows how many fans will be able to attend?

Iowa State is planning (hoping) for 50% capacity, for example.

Last edited:
We are 100 days from Iowa football's season opener & Friday marks the deadline for season ticket renewals.

This is a good story to answer questions regarding how the UI is handling ticket sales (& possible refunds) with much pandemic-uncertainty ahead.

Could be some good price gouging oops for those who get Tix, assuming social distancing is actually followed!! 50% is almost pointless imo.

have they told you how this will work yet? it will be interesting to see what happens. who knows how many fans will be able to attend?

I’ve had no communication from iowa. I’m in the outdoor club but my brother has lower donor and he hasn’t heard either.

I’ve had no communication from iowa. I’m in the outdoor club but my brother has lower donor and he hasn’t heard either.

In the DMR interview they are basically going on schedule still offering season tix, later on mini-game packages and then singles. That is until something definitive is handed down by state governments and university admins they have to proceed as if will be full stadium until such point as things become concrete and then they reveal how they work that into the logistics and who goes and who gets credit, etc. They are for sure working on all the various scenarios but until they know for sure they are proceeding as if can have full stadium. Rather than reveal 10 different possibilities and just stir up a crap storm, that is the best way to go. I am sure some people may just wait until a lot more is known, but that is up to each person. It is not like at the end of the day if you pay now that they will just eat your money and you get nothing back ever.

So what will they do then if it is only 25% allowed? To me it is better to wait as Iowa is doing, but behind the scenes planning out the various scenarios and allowables under each. To me Pollard's deal was just to get their name out there again and try to bump season tix sales as they were sitting around 22k. So they can go to 30k so maybe they get a rush now to get to 30k rather than people just waiting and see. Everybody is doing the same behind the scenes planning and scenarios. Not like Jamie is doing anything really anyone else is not. He is just making one scenario visible. It could still end up being a dozen different scenarios ultimately.

Could be some good price gouging oops for those who get Tix, assuming social distancing is actually followed!! 50% is almost pointless imo.

Imagine that Iowa / Iowa State game would get a hefty markup on the secondary market.

I renewed mine yesterday even though have no plans to attend in fall. I don’t want to lose my seats for 2021, and risk not getting them back.
Already had multiple friends volunteer to “help” me out since I have enough points to make 50% cut probably but not 25%.
So university gets to at least hold my money for year.

Reactions: ichawk24
What Iowa is sending out:

"Thank you for your loyal support during these unprecedented times. While many questions surround the upcoming football season, please know our team is working hard for your return to Kinnick Stadium this fall. What that return will look like is still a moving target, but we continue to make adjustments as we gain information.

As you know, we pushed back the renewal date from March 29 to May 29 and added additional payment plans. We have updated our refund policy to reflect credit or refunds in the event of a modified/canceled season, and assured any season ticket holder that is not comfortable renewing for the 2020 season that we will keep their season ticket priority in place for next season.

We would like to reassure all season ticket holders that if the seating capacity of Kinnick Stadium is altered for the 2020 season, we will hold season ticket locations from 2019 for renewal in 2021.

In recent weeks discussion centered around playing football with no fans in attendance and today we are at a stage of 50% capacity. Capacity options may go up or down and while it is challenging to not have answers, it is OK to say “I don’t know.” We have time to see where we are in the next few weeks.

We are modeling multiple options and continue to follow safety guidelines and protocols as established by the Governor, State of Iowa, Iowa Board of Regents, University of Iowa and state and local public health agencies. We will communicate as we get closer and appreciate your patience and understanding as we work through these questions.

Lastly, we would like to announce the retirement of long-time director of ticket operations, Pam Finke. Pam has been a valued part of the athletic department for nearly 35 years. We congratulate Pam on her retirement and thank her for incredible service to our department, donors, and ticket holders.

We are excited to announce the promotion of Jess Rickertsen to interim assistant athletics director of ticket operations. Jess has been part of our ticket operations for 20 years under Pam’s leadership and we are excited he will keep our consistency while leading us in new directions.

Many of you have told us the return to University of Iowa Athletics’ events has remained a beacon of hope. We truly look forward to seeing you this fall."

How do you protect them, hold the employees hostage and not allow them to leave? What can she tell about what's happening to the kids? Nice to hear she doesn't care about adequate protection for her co-workers....

By not sending people there who had Covid. Coumo did it too. Sounds crazy doesn't it? Democrats, the reason so many people support Trump.

JUNE. The month that will likely define what we can do for the season in terms of attendance and schedule.

I renewed on the final day.

ISU announced 50% capacity, via season tickets.

I wonder if Iowa will roughly do the same. Or if they can't even have full season ticket base at games.

What a crazy year.

I was on the fence for renewing this year anyway (due to a few different financial factors), but the whole Covid-19 uncertainty made my decision for me. I will still attend all home games allowed this year (and in the future), but will just buy single game tickets from the University, scalp, or buy tickets on the secondary market from now on. I had season tickets for 21 years that I just gave up :(.

I was on the fence for renewing this year anyway (due to a few different financial factors), but the whole Covid-19 uncertainty made my decision for me. I will still attend all home games allowed this year (and in the future), but will just buy single game tickets from the University, scalp, or buy tickets on the secondary market from now on. I had season tickets for 21 years that I just gave up :(.

Withdrawals man. Gonna get bad as September nears. I get it though.

Reactions: 4409

Gave mine up, 21 years. Kids are busier and made it tough. Many seemed in the same boat as I couldn’t even give them away last year. Ended up donating to the Ronald McDonald house, hopefully they used them. They were good seats too.

Reactions: 4409
What Iowa is sending out:

"Thank you for your loyal support during these unprecedented times. While many questions surround the upcoming football season, please know our team is working hard for your return to Kinnick Stadium this fall. What that return will look like is still a moving target, but we continue to make adjustments as we gain information.

As you know, we pushed back the renewal date from March 29 to May 29 and added additional payment plans. We have updated our refund policy to reflect credit or refunds in the event of a modified/canceled season, and assured any season ticket holder that is not comfortable renewing for the 2020 season that we will keep their season ticket priority in place for next season.

We would like to reassure all season ticket holders that if the seating capacity of Kinnick Stadium is altered for the 2020 season, we will hold season ticket locations from 2019 for renewal in 2021.

In recent weeks discussion centered around playing football with no fans in attendance and today we are at a stage of 50% capacity. Capacity options may go up or down and while it is challenging to not have answers, it is OK to say “I don’t know.” We have time to see where we are in the next few weeks.

We are modeling multiple options and continue to follow safety guidelines and protocols as established by the Governor, State of Iowa, Iowa Board of Regents, University of Iowa and state and local public health agencies. We will communicate as we get closer and appreciate your patience and understanding as we work through these questions.

Lastly, we would like to announce the retirement of long-time director of ticket operations, Pam Finke. Pam has been a valued part of the athletic department for nearly 35 years. We congratulate Pam on her retirement and thank her for incredible service to our department, donors, and ticket holders.

We are excited to announce the promotion of Jess Rickertsen to interim assistant athletics director of ticket operations. Jess has been part of our ticket operations for 20 years under Pam’s leadership and we are excited he will keep our consistency while leading us in new directions.

Many of you have told us the return to University of Iowa Athletics’ events has remained a beacon of hope. We truly look forward to seeing you this fall."
Let's play ball ! Go Hawks !

ADVERTISEMENT