ADVERTISEMENT

WIN magazine has Iowa pre-season ranked 10th.

Hard to believe with our dynasty program that we could use the words "Question Marks" but.... with the Question Marks that Iowa has at certain weights right now, putting us in the number 10 spot sounds about right.

There are question marks every year even during Gables tenure. Psu is the favorite and has question marks in more than a couple weights. The question marks are generally not what keep teams from winning championships

Reactions: Dagboi
I love the optimism vodka, but don't forget the Hawks finished 4th last year and we've graduated Sammy Brooks (4th), Gillman (3rd) and Clark (Champ). The Hawks are going to have a hard time scoring at 125 and 133 this season. While I agree that we likely finish higher than 10th. I'm thinking more in the 6-8 range. The field is DEEP this year the Hawks need a whole lot to go right for us to finish top 5.

I love the optimism vodka, but don't forget the Hawks finished 4th last year and we've graduated Sammy Brooks (4th), Gillman (3rd) and Clark (Champ). The Hawks are going to have a hard time scoring at 125 and 133 this season. While I agree that we likely finish higher than 10th. I'm thinking more in the 6-8 range. The field is DEEP this year the Hawks need a whole lot to go right for us to finish top 5.

LOL So, you love the optimism of finishing 6th rather than 10th?

From where I sit, there isn't much difference between 4th and 10th, and I'm a glass-half-full type of guy.

Very realistic assessment. Need a lot to go right to get top 5 this year (Downey, healthy Stoll, Marinelli making a big leap).

Reactions: FD_HWC
That's absolutely ridiculous. I would be utterly shocked if Iowa finished 10th. I see us somewhere around 4 to 6.

Agree. WIN has both Marinelli and Young ranked 16th, which is too low, imho. Likewise (assuming he stays healthy), Stoll would likely finish better than 8th. Downy not figured in, for now. Taking a "wait and see" on that. Iowa will be rebuilding next year, but should do better than 10th.

It does look like a 2 horse race, between PSU and tOSU, with PSU a pretty strong favorite. WIN's predicted AA's:

PSU - 1,1,1,1,1,5,7
tOSU - 1,1,2,2,2,3,7
Iowa - 2,3,8 yikes..... :(

Agree. WIN has both Marinelli and Young ranked 16th, which is too low, imho. Likewise (assuming he stays healthy), Stoll would likely finish better than 8th. Downy not figured in, for now. Taking a "wait and see" on that. Iowa will be rebuilding next year, but should do better than 10th.

It does look like a 2 horse race, between PSU and tOSU, with PSU a pretty strong favorite. WIN's predicted AA's:

PSU - 1,1,1,1,1,5,7
tOSU - 1,1,2,2,2,3,7
Iowa - 2,3,8 yikes..... :(

Cheer up. That "8" for Iowa might actually place 3rd!:cool:

LOL So, you love the optimism of finishing 6th rather than 10th?

From where I sit, there isn't much difference between 4th and 10th, and I'm a glass-half-full type of guy.

Last year the difference between 4th and 10th was 50 points. That's pretty significant. I don't see us scoring 50 less points at NCAAs this season. But I wouldn't be surprised if they scored 25-30 points less. I think we get solid AA performances at 149, 157, 165, 174 and Hwt (I still don't acknowledge PDIII as a Hawk). Decent shot at 141 I suppose (Turk and Happel will battle it out, but 141 is loaded). Our scorers will be fun to watch, but there just isn't enough firepower to crack top 5 IMHO. 2018-2019 however, is going to be fun!

Last edited:
That's absolutely ridiculous. I would be utterly shocked if Iowa finished 10th. I see us somewhere around 4 to 6.
Yup, absolutely ridiculous. Maybe you figure on Michigan, Missouri, and Lehigh not competing this year. However, you could be proven correct and pull a 6th if your shiny new transfer can keep his nose clean, make grades, and back off on the BJ vids.

Marinelli and Young will finish better than 16th which is where they are predicted by WIN. Also Iowa should get some points somewhere out of the first 3 weights.

Marinelli and Young will finish better than 16th which is where they are predicted by WIN. Also Iowa should get some points somewhere out of the first 3 weights.
Could well happen, might not happen also. Injuries, bad draws, fluke losses, blah, blah, blah. Worst case scenario, I buy some kids some shoes, or an entry into a tourny.

Yea but 12th doesn't score many points. They have to be AAs to make an impact and neither has proven it yet. Marinelli was absolutely destroyed by Valencia who couldn't AA last year. 65 this year is even tougher. Hopefully AM is that guy but he hasn't shown it yet.

I also don't see more than 3-4 points out of the first 3 weights (most if not all at 141).

Reactions: TarpHawk
I see 75 points with PD, 59 without. It is what it is.

141 = 4
149 = 16
157 = 16
165 = 8
174 = 5
197 = 16
285 = 10

Reactions: GG121AND2
First half
125 Stickley
133 Laux
141 Turk/Happel
149 Sorensen
157 Kemmerer
165 Marinelli
174 Young
184 Bowman
197 Wilke
285 Holloway

2nd half team
125 Lee
133 Laux
141 Turk/Happel (Lugo)
149 Sorensen
157 Kemmerer
165 Marinelli
174 Young
184 Downey
197 Wilke
285 Stoll

I think if everything falls into place Iowa can bring home a trophey.

Iowa WILL finish above 10th and have a shot at top 5. The BULL & Young are lucky to be ranked right now. They have yet to prove anything. What I do know is Sorensen and Kem are finalist. PDIII could EASILY make the finals or wrestle in the 3rd place match. If Stoll stays healthy he is wrestling for 3rd.
Now for the new kids. The BULL will AA anywhere from 4-8. Young will score a TON of bonus points and become a fan favorite and should AA in that 6-8 range. Gylnn making the cut and and he is a goer but 2 to 4 pts. is a logical bet here. Laux is tough but just gets out muscled similar result of 2 to 4 pts. Turk is dun ro watch but 141 is crazy tough a rd of 12 here would be GREAT here. The Wildcard is Cash money. He made a real nice run last year and 197 might be the easiest weight next year. With that being said I don't expect much more than a rd of 12 here.
What does all this mean.... top 5 is within reach but that's all. I personally think fosu is the team to beat not psu. But that's just how I feel. Iowa has 1 Champ, 2 finalist and 6 AAs.
My top 5
1. Fosu
2. Psu
3. Oky State
4. Michigan
5. Iowa

Which Michelle? I know you ain't talking about my sister. LOL
Yep - your lil sis. I blv we had a difference of opinion about some of the last few presidents - so I cut her loose when she thought Hillary unconditionally was the best thing for the USA. As a military guy with protecting the country in mind - I thought HBC was not the answer ... sorry dude

Iowa WILL finish above 10th and have a shot at top 5. The BULL & Young are lucky to be ranked right now. They have yet to prove anything. What I do know is Sorensen and Kem are finalist. PDIII could EASILY make the finals or wrestle in the 3rd place match. If Stoll stays healthy he is wrestling for 3rd.
Now for the new kids. The BULL will AA anywhere from 4-8. Young will score a TON of bonus points and become a fan favorite and should AA in that 6-8 range. Gylnn making the cut and and he is a goer but 2 to 4 pts. is a logical bet here. Laux is tough but just gets out muscled similar result of 2 to 4 pts. Turk is dun ro watch but 141 is crazy tough a rd of 12 here would be GREAT here. The Wildcard is Cash money. He made a real nice run last year and 197 might be the easiest weight next year. With that being said I don't expect much more than a rd of 12 here.
What does all this mean.... top 5 is within reach but that's all. I personally think fosu is the team to beat not psu. But that's just how I feel. Iowa has 1 Champ, 2 finalist and 6 AAs.
My top 5
1. Fosu
2. Psu
3. Oky State
4. Michigan
5. Iowa

That is a fair assessment. Some people have said that Laux grown into a full size 133 so hopefully he isn't outmuscled this year. If he hasn't, why on earth wouldn't he get down to 125?

I am also very interested to see what weights Wilcke/Downey end up at. Both are true 184 guys I think but Downey could legitimately win 197 if he can add the size.

Yep - your lil sis. I blv we had a difference of opinion about some of the last few presidents - so I cut her loose when she thought Hillary unconditionally was the best thing for the USA. As a military guy with protecting the country in mind - I thought HBC was not the answer ... sorry dude

LOL Which part are you sorry about?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT