ADVERTISEMENT

Win Magazine Preseason Rankings

I have started to look forward to the WIN preseason rankings, as they have had some good entertainment value over the years.

They made a step up this season by mostly slotting guys in order of last year's placement at Nationals. They did snub Kyle Crazy Eyes Conel, though. I believe he was the only wrestler in the field to be ranked below a guy he finished higher than (in the same weight class) at Nationals. And he beat that guy (Moore) twice!

Other notable oversights:
• Lizak is not ranked
• JoJo is apparently not even predicted to be a starter.

Fix not listed at all...

True, but they intentionally excluded all freshmen. That said, leaving Fix and JoJo off the list messes with OkieState's predicted point-total in a significant way (especially if Fix were predicted to go 133).

Doesnt really matter what Flo predicts but ya pretty much no love for Mr Warner Chief. Cancelling my sub when the season starts.
Jr Worlds right around the corner please help Jim at WFL.

Reactions: IAChief32
Doesnt really matter what Flo predicts but ya pretty much no love for Mr Warner Chief. Cancelling my sub when the season starts.
Jr Worlds right around the corner please help Jim at WFL.
I don't think they are ranking anyone in their first year of college, be it red shirt or true freshmen. Not a slight to Warner at all.

I don't think they are ranking anyone in their first year of college, be it red shirt or true freshmen. Not a slight to Warner at all.

Nah...this was talked about today on FRL. They have Warner around 10th. Pyles did say that he thought Warner could be top 4 I believe.

Warner is at the bottom of the third tier IAW Flo (Nomad) as well. He better not win Junior Worlds...he might get bumped to 4th.
If not for Nickal I think Warner is a title contender, and would probably have picked him to win. But, you can’t really rank him too high yet with losses to Woodley, Brunner, Brucki, and Wilke last year. He’ll make his climb in the rankings quickly.

If not for Nickal I think Warner is a title contender, and would probably have picked him to win. But, you can’t really rank him too high yet with losses to Woodley, Brunner, Brucki, and Wilke last year. He’ll make his climb in the rankings quickly.

The tier thing wasn’t rankings...it was a loose this is where Nomad thinks they are at. He stated that he thinks Warner DNPs this year but makes a leap next year.

For sure, Warner has a lot to prove but most of the judgement comes from one tourney...Midlands. They are playing up the Nomad as Hawkhater on their show so who the heck knows.

Warner has to be considered second or third tier until he wrestles at least 1 real match. It’s logical.

Until he beats anyone on the varsity level, it’s wrong to name him king. I would imagine by the end of Midlands we have a real good idea where he stacks up in the second tier. No offense but Bo Nickal is the head of the class at that weight.

For sure, Warner has a lot to prove but most of the judgement comes from one tourney...Midlands. They are playing up the Nomad as Hawkhater on their show so who the heck knows.
Don’t forget the group’s brilliant analysis on 157. They mention Early, Monday, Shields, Bleise, and Stroker (lol on this one) as guys they like and could see making jumps. Then they get to tier 5 with Kaleb Young and “don’t see anyone making a jump” out of that tier. The wrestlers they like all have one thing in common from this summer. They don’t hate Iowa. They just have a lot of bad takes.

The anti-Iowa shtick has been pretty funny. Nomad's tiers have been based on analytics versus their gut feel where they think guys will actually place. Warner had losses last last year and that's all he can go off of when he makes up the tiers. Everyone, including this guy, is excited to see him wrestle. My guess is a top 4 finish which would be impressive in that weight class as a freshman. I only saw him in action once, against Kerkvliet a couple years ago at the Christmas tournament, and he was outstanding. I'm so bummed that Kerk got so big because that would have been a fun rivalry in college. I'm curious where Steveson will fall in the tiers. He won a college tournament last year (the Dak which is nothing compared to Midlands) but it will be interesting to see where they put him.

I thought it was interesting that they don't think Stoll will face Steveson at the dual meet. That would really be a shame because it would be a match between the two best HWT's in Minnesota high school history and potentially the only time it would happen in the state (B1G's possibly). If he's not healthy by then, of course he shouldn't go. If he is healthy, it would be a shame for fans of the sport.

Last edited:
Don’t forget the group’s brilliant analysis on 157. They mention Early, Monday, Shields, Bleise, and Stroker (lol on this one) as guys they like and could see making jumps. Then they get to tier 5 with Kaleb Young and “don’t see anyone making a jump” out of that tier. The wrestlers they like all have one thing in common from this summer. They don’t hate Iowa. They just have a lot of bad takes.

I’m pretty sure Young beat Monday, Shields and Stroker Early this summer.

Warner has to be considered second or third tier until he wrestles at least 1 real match. It’s logical.

Until he beats anyone on the varsity level, it’s wrong to name him king. I would imagine by the end of Midlands we have a real good idea where he stacks up in the second tier. No offense but Bo Nickal is the head of the class at that weight.
They were not waiting for a "varsity" match to make a judgement. Redshirt record might not be official but those were real matches and the basis of where they placed Warner. Had he won them all he would be higher and had he lost them all he would be lower.

The anti-Iowa shtick has been pretty funny. Nomad's tiers have been based on analytics versus their gut feel where they think guys will actually place. Warner had losses last last year and that's all he can go off of when he makes up the tiers. Everyone, including this guy, is excited to see him wrestle. My guess is a top 4 finish which would be impressive in that weight class as a freshman. I only saw him in action once, against Kerkvliet a couple years ago at the Christmas tournament, and he was outstanding. I'm so bummed that Kerk got so big because that would have been a fun rivalry in college. I'm curious where Steveson will fall in the tiers. He won a college tournament last year (the Dak which is nothing compared to Midlands) but it will be interesting to see where they put him.

I thought it was interesting that they don't think Stoll will face Steveson at the dual meet. That would really be a shame because it would be a match between the two best HWT's in Minnesota high school history and potentially the only time it would happen in the state (B1G's possibly). If he's not healthy by then, of course he shouldn't go. If he is healthy, it would be a shame for fans of the sport.
They didn't want Snyder repeatedly grabbing his snake bitten legs last year so I can see Stoll missing that match.

Warner had one bad day against some decent competition at Midlands. Admittedly I'd have liked to have seen him rebound better than he did, but I think that scenario is going to be one big-ass anomaly when it's all said and done.

And he did major Miklus, which is a good effort. His other loss was to Woodley of Oklahoma, whom he split with.

I don't think he's the 2nd coming, but he's going to be hell on wheels for the next 4 years.

Last edited:
Warner had one bad day against some decent competition at Midlands. Admittedly I'd have liked to have seen him rebound better than he did, but I think that scenario is going to be one big-ass anomaly when it's all said and done.

And he did major Miklus, which is a good effort. His other loss was to Woodley of Oklahoma, whom he split with.

I don't think he's the 2nd coming, but he's going to be hell on wheels for the next 4 years.
My thoughts...

I think Warner made the freshman mistake of getting too down on himself after a loss and wasn't as focused for the rest of the tournament. IMO (no data to back this up) this occurs more than we know for stud freshman coming in, then getting a loss and not handling it very well. Great learning experience that I don't believe will happen again. Those wrestlers he lost to, he won't lose to again.

His MD over Miklus, I attribute that more to Miklus still coming back from injury and not 100%. He later had wins vs Weigel (10-4) and Haught (FALL), though wasn't he losing when he pinned Haught? He then lost to Haught at NCAA's 3-1... Long-story-short, I believe he's at about the same level as Miklus right now, around #5 to #9 in the rankings at 197.

It’d be hard to take offense to that. IMHO

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT