ADVERTISEMENT

Wind Chill Advisory... does the National Weather Service in Iowa even bother with this sort of thing?

We have "first alert" days on the NBC station in the QCA. lol We also get the "it's 20 degrees, feels like 15. BS, it feels like 20".

We have "first alert" days on the NBC station in the QCA. lol We also get the "it's 20 degrees, feels like 15. BS, it feels like 20".
I told the SBW that I was issuing a Dick Heat Advisory and that it may only be 4 inches, but it would feel like 9.

She said that’s not a real thing. 😑

I cannot discount this.

I lived through the Polar Vortex event when it hit Chicago 2 years ago when the air temperature hit -28, and the wind chill hit -60. But, it was a "dry cold". tic

Given that, I lived in Tallahassee during the winters of 1987-1989 and still think some of the coldest "feeling" temperatures I have ever encountered was when it was in the mid-20's in TLH and there was a lot of humidity coming off the Gulf. That was bone chilling, especially out at the airport where I was working and there would be a breeze blowing due to the openness of the area. I actually saw a dusting of snow in TLH one of the winters I lived there.

I don't know. Maybe I just needed a long sleeve sweatshirt back then. vbg
I always thought a 15 degree day in Iowa felt colder than 0 or -5 day in North Dakota. I do think humidity must play some role in how cold is perceived.

We do have Wind Chill Advisories (-15) and Wind Chill Warnings (-30).

Houses in Florida are built to stay cool, houses in Iowa are built to stay warm. Exposed and non-insulated pipes in Florida are common, but obviously non-existent in Iowa. I'm guessing the further south you go, the more common it is to have homes without central heating at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT