ADVERTISEMENT

Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty

Fijimn

HR Legend
May 7, 2008
Anyone check this one out on HBO? First one came out Sunday. It's different. The characters talk to the camera. It was interesting regarding how Jerry Buss bought the Lakers and how much of a jackass Jack Kent Cooke was. Pretty good show if you have a chance.

Anyone check this one out on HBO? First one came out Sunday. It's different. The characters talk to the camera. It was interesting regarding how Jerry Buss bought the Lakers and how much of a jackass Jack Kent Cooke was. Pretty good show if you have a chance.
Loved the first episode. Looking forward to the rest. Jerry West comes out pretty bad also.

The color and lighting is very 80s, like high definition 80s. Sorry, don't have the technical film knowledge to describe it better, you'll have to watch to see what I mean. Good cast. Episode 1 was very entertaining.

It's not a documentary.
While I'm sure Jack Kent Cooke had the capacity to be a jackass and Jerry West was often a prick, the film makers have the story they want to tell. The means they use to tell that story frequently (if not always) tend to exaggerate.
Still, the first couple episodes have been entertaining. And they are obviously setting up Magic's promiscuity and his eventual contraction of HIV.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Caught the first two episodes last night. Really enjoyed it. I just wish HBO/Max put the whole thing out at once. Netflix and others have spoiled me and I hate having to wait a week for an episode.

Last edited:
Caught the first two episodes last night. Really enjoyed it. I just wish HBO/Max put the whole thing out at once. Netflix and others have poiled me and I hate having to wait a week for an episode.

Netflix does it too. They'll release like a 3rd of a season every Friday (newest Love is Blind for example).

Love Winning Time so far. Adam McKay and Jonah Hill directing E1 and E2 were great. Great story telling. They break the 4th wall constantly. Can't wait to see Adrian Brody as Pat Riley. John C Reilly deserves an Emmy so far. He's been fabulous

Netflix does it too. They'll release like a 3rd of a season every Friday (newest Love is Blind for example).

Love Winning Time so far. Adam McKay and Jonah Hill directing E1 and E2 were great. Great story telling. They break the 4th wall constantly. Can't wait to see Adrian Brody as Pat Riley. John C Reilly deserves an Emmy so far. He's been fabulous

I don’t get this. The reason ppl prefer streaming to cable is the ability to binge watch. Now streaming companies are going away from the model that made them successful. It’s stupid.

I don’t get this. The reason ppl prefer streaming to cable is the ability to binge watch. Now streaming companies are going away from the model that made them successful. It’s stupid.
Probably lets them get them out sooner while the rest of the episodes are in post.

Look at me with the fancy Hollywood talk.

For the HBOMax's of the world they don't have a choice as the series is also being played once a week for their paying cable customers. They can't release a whole season to the Streamers and weekly episodes to the folks paying for cable.

Netflix/Prime on the other hand, should most certainly release their original series all at once and use that as fodder against other providers like HBOMax. Maybe it ensures people come back? Not sure why they don't do that anymore for some shows

Reactions: BEAVERDALEHAWK
A Mckay staple.

Depends on the show. Some they release them all at once and others they release weekly. No rhyme or reason to it that I can tell. Amazon just released latest season of Marvelous Mrs Maisel 2 ep/week for a month, but another show, Upload got released all at once.

I've really enjoyed it. Not unanimous. There was some dork on the national rivals basketball board who was annoyed a couple weeks ago at all the partying and behind the scenes drama and pop culture history being depicted instead of showing more actors reenacting basketball games. Who could forget all the fascinating true to life sports action in Rudy and Remember the Titans?

Reactions: BelemNole and GES4
The shoe contract stuff was great on last night's episode.

Reactions: SF HAWKEYE
What is it rated? My oldest was interested in watching and he will be 12
He will definitely have some stories to tell at school about what he watched with his dad. Part of the storyline is how much Magic likes to have sex all the time.

Reactions: hexumhawk
He will definitely have some stories to tell at school about what he watched with his dad. Part of the storyline is how much Magic likes to have sex all the time.
And seemingly enjoys giving oral sex....who knew?

Reactions: ping72
This show is beyond fantastic. Loving every episode
Yeah, I can’t wait until Sunday nights to catch it. If all episodes had been instead streamed at once, I’d probably have to watch the whole thing in one sitting.

Reactions: GES4
Honestly the basketball scenes are the worst part of the show and could really use some help. But everything else is so great that the show works. The actor portraying Magic is going to build a career off of this performance.
Love the show but agree, I can’t believe how bad the basketball scenes look. They couldn’t find doubles that didn’t look so slow?

Start with Squid Game. If he doesn't flinch at that, Winning Time should be a breeze
Some pretty graphic sex scenes, but they are limited. I would imagine it would be very uncomfortable to watch with a 12 year old. It is also very necessary if you want to understand (spoilers!) where Magic got HIV from and his biggest flaw as a human being.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT