ADVERTISEMENT

Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty

Honestly the basketball scenes are the worst part of the show and could really use some help. But everything else is so great that the show works. The actor portraying Magic is going to build a career off of this performance.
I think they're playing on 9 foot hoops.

I think they're playing on 9 foot hoops.
There was an error a few weeks ago when a bunch of players came into frame and one of them was wearing giant platform shoes. Lots of tricks in play to make these guys look tall.

There was an error a few weeks ago when a bunch of players came into frame and one of them was wearing giant platform shoes. Lots of tricks in play to make these guys look tall.
It is too bad they couldn't get the rights to just show the actual film of games instead of trying to make something like this happen in a show that will never live up to the real thing considering they hired actors to play athletes rather than hiring athletes to try to act(the way they did it was the right way for this show). They wouldn't need all that much considering that the actual basketball isn't really all that important to everything else going on. I think the Jerry Buss using duct tape and paperclips to make the whole thing happen is the most interesting storyline to me. All the strings he's pulling with just the hope of success at the end of the season is enthralling.

I'd be really interested to see someone write up everything in the show and compare it to real life to see what was true, what was made up, and what was embellished. For instance, Paula Abdul wasn't the first Laker Girl, she didn't join the squad until 1980 and Pat Riley was already an announcer starting in 1977 only a year after retiring as a player.

Based on his portrayal in this show, yeah. He's been mad a really long time. Just kidding, he actually writes a very good critique. I disagree with him on a few accounts:

1) Kareem says the characters are 1 dimensional, and at least for the first few episodes, he's not wrong. However, I fear he is too close to this because he actually knows the people and knows all of the things that there isn't time to properly show on a one hour per episode TV show. The show established the "one quality", but now that those things have been established we are starting to see some expansion on the character development. At least with Jerry West, Jerry Buss, Magic, and Kareem. But really, those are the story's the show is trying to tell. Well, at least Buss, Magic's, and Kareem's and eventually Pat Riley I imagine. The rest of the characters are in service to that. Of course they characters aren't going to be as complex as the people, that would be impossible and honestly, very tedious to watch. We'll be lucky to get that depth on two or three of the characters and that's after multiple seasons.

2) I understand being upset with some of the errors in his portrayal but while it does show him as being very angry during this time I think it is starting to show that it is far more complex than that and not all about him being angry. Ultimately, the show is meant to be entertaining and part of that is characters need to have an arc. I think Kareem's will be how Magic helps him to come out and have more fun. That may not be true of what actually happened, but it is more interesting. At least it is in my opinion.

To be fair, though, I'm sure if I were in Kareem's shoes or any of the people's shoes who are portrayed on the show I probably wouldn't like it either.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Honestly the basketball scenes are the worst part of the show and could really use some help. But everything else is so great that the show works. The actor portraying Magic is going to build a career off of this performance.
Having actors act as professional athletes is one of the most difficult things in acting. It's near impossible to make amatuers look as good as professionals, especially in a free flowing sport like basketball. (also football, the football scenes completely ruined The Blind Side for me). You can get professionals, but then the acting usually suffers. Clearly this is a show that hinges far more on the behind the scenes story rather than the on the court play so going with actors trying to pull off pro-ball is the way to go. I find the basketball serviceable to advance the plot, but yeah, it's nothing like the actual NBA.

Reactions: McLovin32
I thought I read somewhere this is unauthorized and the Lakers nor the players took part. This is why they have no real footage and stuff. I thought I also saw in a few months Magic has a real documentary type thing similar to "The Last Dance" that is hopefully decent. I get that this isn't a simulation, but a dramatic retelling of the major events along the way, and some liberties/inaccuracies are happening in order to create drama/story for the show.

I thought I read somewhere this is unauthorized and the Lakers nor the players took part. This is why they have no real footage and stuff. I thought I also saw in a few months Magic has a real documentary type thing similar to "The Last Dance" that is hopefully decent. I get that this isn't a simulation, but a dramatic retelling of the major events along the way, and some liberties/inaccuracies are happening in order to create drama/story for the show.
The Lakers former trainer Gary Vitti had a little cameo in the first episode, and was working as the "in house expert" on the show, but left because he hated the way they were portraying Jerry West.

With that said, I find the Jerry West character to be one of the funniest ones on the show.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Former Los Angeles Lakers executive Jerry West is demanding a retraction and an apology for what he called "a baseless and malicious assault" on his character in the HBO series "Winning Time," in a letter sent Tuesday evening by his legal team to the network and producer Adam McKay that was obtained by ESPN.
West's lawyers allege that "Winning Time falsely and cruelly portrays Mr. West as an out-of-control, intoxicated rage-aholic," saying that "bears no resemblance to the real man." They ask for a retraction no later than two weeks from the receipt of the letter.
ADVERTISEMENT
"The portrayal of NBA icon and L.A. Lakers legend Jerry West in 'Winning Time' is fiction pretending to be fact -- a deliberately false characterization that has caused great distress to Jerry and his family," said Skip Miller, a partner at the Miller Barondess LLP law firm in Los Angeles and attorney for West. "Contrary to the baseless portrayal in the HBO series, Jerry had nothing but love for and harmony with the Lakers organization, and in particular owner Dr. Jerry Buss, during an era in which he assembled one of the greatest teams in NBA history.
"Jerry West was an integral part of the Lakers and NBA's success. It is a travesty that HBO has knowingly demeaned him for shock value and the pursuit of ratings. As an act of common decency, HBO and the producers owe Jerry a public apology and at the very least should retract their baseless and defamatory portrayal of him."
West's lawyers said HBO's disclaimer that the series is a dramatization does not insulate the network from liability.
HBO did not immediately respond to or comment on West's letter.
The portrayal of former Lakers executive Jerry West in "Winning Time" on HBO "bears no resemblance to the real man" and is "a deliberately false characterization," West's lawyers said in a letter to the network. Stacy Revere/Getty Images
The series, which has been airing on Sunday nights this spring on HBO, is based on author Jeff Pearlman's book "Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley, and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980s."
West's lawyers allege that the series creators acted with "legal malice" because many scenes in the series showing West's purported rage did not appear in Pearlman's book and did not happen. The letter includes statements from former players such as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Cooper and Jamaal Wilkes, as well as Lakers employees such as Claire Rothman, Charlene Kenney, Bob Steiner and Mitch Kupchak who worked with West during the time period covered in the show, denying that they ever saw him commit any of the rage-filled acts or drink alcohol in the office, as depicted in the series.
"Instead of exploring his issues with compassion as a way to better understand the man, they turn him into a Wile E. Coyote cartoon to be laughed at," Abdul-Jabbar said in a statement. "He never broke golf clubs, he didn't throw his trophy through the window. Sure, those actions make dramatic moments, but they reek of facile exploitation of the man rather than exploration of character."
Rothman, who ran operations at the Great Western Forum for over 20 years and is portrayed by Gaby Hoffmann in the series, said, "Jerry treated me and everyone else in the Lakers organization with dignity and respect. I never saw Jerry break or throw anything in anger or rage nor did I hear anyone ever say he did such things."
Kupchak, now the Charlotte Hornets' general manager, played for the Lakers from 1981 to 1986 and then worked alongside West in the Lakers' front office from 1986 to 2000.
"During my time with the Lakers as a player and in the front office, Jerry was always professional, even-keeled and soft-spoken," Kupchak said. "He was always positive and encouraging with me. I also found Jerry to be honest and sincere. I never saw or heard Jerry lose his temper with anyone. I also never saw or heard Jerry go on an angry rant or tirade, nor did I ever see or hear Jerry scream or yell at anyone. That was not his personality. Jerry is soft-spoken and does not like confrontation. He always keeps his composure and remains calm even when he has a disagreement with someone. Last, I've never heard or seen Jerry ever break or throw anything in anger."
West's lawyers said he is due a retraction, an apology and damages from HBO and the show's producers because "the show goes out of its way to denigrate Jerry West despite his accomplishments as an executive."
The letter goes on to cite the series' depiction of West's role in the drafting of Magic Johnson, saying it implies West had "personal animus" against Johnson and tried to "sabotage" his selection. West's lawyers said he only pointed out Sidney Moncrief's scoring ability and that the Lakers should consider him, while then-team owner Jack Kent Cooke had the final decision.
"So instead of seeing the true Jerry West -- a brilliant GM who was the architect of one of the great NBA dynasties -- anyone who watched the show would be left with the false impression that West is incompetent, that he didn't want Magic Johnson. This is a fabrication," the letter says. "Contrary to the show, the book leaves readers with the true impression of Jerry as a brilliant and thoughtful GM. Your extreme departure from the book shows malice in your false portrayal."

Isn't the guy who plays Kareem around 6 ft?

The guy who plays Larry Bird is spot on. Let's get this shit over with. Yep, nope, yep, nope,nope.

Reactions: B1GDeal
I wonder if he wrote that after only the first episode or two. His portrayal has improved as they gave it more time. What I find interesting is that my wife doesn't really know much about Magic and Kareem. She's much more interested in learning about them because of this show. I told her about the HBO documentary on Kareem and to watch that as it was really good. Looking forward to the Magic documentary also.

Also, I didn't know he had a blog. It is pretty good and very well written.

Reactions: VodkaSam
I wonder if he wrote that after only the first episode or two. His portrayal has improved as they gave it more time. What I find interesting is that my wife doesn't really know much about Magic and Kareem. She's much more interested in learning about them because of this show. I told her about the HBO documentary on Kareem and to watch that as it was really good. Looking forward to the Magic documentary also.

Also, I didn't know he had a blog. It is pretty good and very well written.
Yeah. He has some strong views and he's quite effective at conveying them.

Former Los Angeles Lakers executive Jerry West is demanding a retraction and an apology for what he called "a baseless and malicious assault" on his character in the HBO series "Winning Time," in a letter sent Tuesday evening by his legal team to the network and producer Adam McKay that was obtained by ESPN.
West's lawyers allege that "Winning Time falsely and cruelly portrays Mr. West as an out-of-control, intoxicated rage-aholic," saying that "bears no resemblance to the real man." They ask for a retraction no later than two weeks from the receipt of the letter.
ADVERTISEMENT
"The portrayal of NBA icon and L.A. Lakers legend Jerry West in 'Winning Time' is fiction pretending to be fact -- a deliberately false characterization that has caused great distress to Jerry and his family," said Skip Miller, a partner at the Miller Barondess LLP law firm in Los Angeles and attorney for West. "Contrary to the baseless portrayal in the HBO series, Jerry had nothing but love for and harmony with the Lakers organization, and in particular owner Dr. Jerry Buss, during an era in which he assembled one of the greatest teams in NBA history.
"Jerry West was an integral part of the Lakers and NBA's success. It is a travesty that HBO has knowingly demeaned him for shock value and the pursuit of ratings. As an act of common decency, HBO and the producers owe Jerry a public apology and at the very least should retract their baseless and defamatory portrayal of him."
West's lawyers said HBO's disclaimer that the series is a dramatization does not insulate the network from liability.
The portrayal of former Lakers executive Jerry West in "Winning Time" on HBO "bears no resemblance to the real man" and is "a deliberately false characterization," West's lawyers said in a letter to the network. Stacy Revere/Getty Images
The series, which has been airing on Sunday nights this spring on HBO, is based on author Jeff Pearlman's book "Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley, and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980s."
West's lawyers allege that the series creators acted with "legal malice" because many scenes in the series showing West's purported rage did not appear in Pearlman's book and did not happen. The letter includes statements from former players such as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Cooper and Jamaal Wilkes, as well as Lakers employees such as Claire Rothman, Charlene Kenney, Bob Steiner and Mitch Kupchak who worked with West during the time period covered in the show, denying that they ever saw him commit any of the rage-filled acts or drink alcohol in the office, as depicted in the series.
"Instead of exploring his issues with compassion as a way to better understand the man, they turn him into a Wile E. Coyote cartoon to be laughed at," Abdul-Jabbar said in a statement. "He never broke golf clubs, he didn't throw his trophy through the window. Sure, those actions make dramatic moments, but they reek of facile exploitation of the man rather than exploration of character."
Rothman, who ran operations at the Great Western Forum for over 20 years and is portrayed by Gaby Hoffmann in the series, said, "Jerry treated me and everyone else in the Lakers organization with dignity and respect. I never saw Jerry break or throw anything in anger or rage nor did I hear anyone ever say he did such things."
Kupchak, now the Charlotte Hornets' general manager, played for the Lakers from 1981 to 1986 and then worked alongside West in the Lakers' front office from 1986 to 2000.
"During my time with the Lakers as a player and in the front office, Jerry was always professional, even-keeled and soft-spoken," Kupchak said. "He was always positive and encouraging with me. I also found Jerry to be honest and sincere. I never saw or heard Jerry lose his temper with anyone. I also never saw or heard Jerry go on an angry rant or tirade, nor did I ever see or hear Jerry scream or yell at anyone. That was not his personality. Jerry is soft-spoken and does not like confrontation. He always keeps his composure and remains calm even when he has a disagreement with someone. Last, I've never heard or seen Jerry ever break or throw anything in anger."
West's lawyers said he is due a retraction, an apology and damages from HBO and the show's producers because "the show goes out of its way to denigrate Jerry West despite his accomplishments as an executive."
The letter goes on to cite the series' depiction of West's role in the drafting of Magic Johnson, saying it implies West had "personal animus" against Johnson and tried to "sabotage" his selection. West's lawyers said he only pointed out Sidney Moncrief's scoring ability and that the Lakers should consider him, while then-team owner Jack Kent Cooke had the final decision.
"So instead of seeing the true Jerry West -- a brilliant GM who was the architect of one of the great NBA dynasties -- anyone who watched the show would be left with the false impression that West is incompetent, that he didn't want Magic Johnson. This is a fabrication," the letter says. "Contrary to the show, the book leaves readers with the true impression of Jerry as a brilliant and thoughtful GM. Your extreme departure from the book shows malice in your false portrayal."

I can see why they would be upset with this and I would be upset if I were Jerry West as well. Not that they will hear my opinion, but if it makes them feel any better the caricature that they turned West into is so over the top and ridiculous it is completely obvious he is nothing like the character played on the show. Anyone who acted like that would likely end up arrested or sued, even in the late 70's, early 80's. They certainly wouldn't remain coach of a professional team.

That probably wouldn't make them feel any better.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes

The Lakers former trainer Gary Vitti had a little cameo in the first episode, and was working as the "in house expert" on the show, but left because he hated the way they were portraying Jerry West.

With that said, I find the Jerry West character to be one of the funniest ones on the show.

ADVERTISEMENT

I can see why they would be upset with this and I would be upset if I were Jerry West as well. Not that they will hear my opinion, but if it makes them feel any better the caricature that they turned West into is so over the top and ridiculous it is completely obvious he is nothing like the character played on the show. Anyone who acted like that would likely end up arrested or sued, even in the late 70's, early 80's. They certainly wouldn't remain coach of a professional team.

That probably wouldn't make them feel any better.
This is why I can't get into series like this, or they need to just admit much of it is fictionalized. Unfortunately, a lot of people are just not too bright and take this blending of fiction and non-fiction as gospel. It's very sketchy ethically.

Reactions: cigaretteman
This is why I can't get into series like this, or they need to just admit much of it is fictionalized. Unfortunately, a lot of people are just not too bright and take this blending of fiction and non-fiction as gospel. It's very sketchy ethically.
There's a warning at the beginning of each episode that it has been altered for dramatic effect

Well, they make it pretty clear that it is a fictionalized account of the events that happened. But this is more fiction than others, evidently.

ADVERTISEMENT

Having actors act as professional athletes is one of the most difficult things in acting. It's near impossible to make amatuers look as good as professionals, especially in a free flowing sport like basketball. (also football, the football scenes completely ruined The Blind Side for me). You can get professionals, but then the acting usually suffers. Clearly this is a show that hinges far more on the behind the scenes story rather than the on the court play so going with actors trying to pull off pro-ball is the way to go. I find the basketball serviceable to advance the plot, but yeah, it's nothing like the actual NBA.
When the movie Miracle was made, this is exactly the thinking. Other than "Jim Craig", iirc, all the other members of the team were hockey players. The producers decided it would be easier to get the film right if they taught hockey players to act instead of the other way around.

The guy who plays Larry Bird is spot on. Let's get this shit over with. Yep, nope, yep, nope,nope.
I don't think Larry was QUITE that big of an asshole to the press. He was shy but I don't think he was rude. Now trash talking players? Nobody did it better than Bird.

When the movie Miracle was made, this is exactly the thinking. Other than "Jim Craig", iirc, all the other members of the team were hockey players. The producers decided it would be easier to get the film right if they taught hockey players to act instead of the other way around.
That film depended far more on the play on the ice than the basketball in this series does. It was the right call for that movie.

I was kind of hoping to see more of the partying the Lakers were known for. I read that Magic would pick girls out of the stands and bang them in the sauna as soon as the game ended and be showered up in time for the press conference after. He said he banged out 300-500 girls a year.

I was kind of hoping to see more of the partying the Lakers were known for. I read that Magic would pick girls out of the stands and bang them in the sauna as soon as the game ended and be showered up in time for the press conference after. He said he banged out 300-500 girls a year.
That’s season 2… have some patience bro.

Reactions: ping72
Thinking seasons 2 will combine some years. The demise of the Professor and Kareem being placed into more of a supporting player role. Moses Malone going to Philly breaking up the Celtic/Laker hold on the league.

Thinking seasons 2 will combine some years. The demise of the Professor and Kareem being placed into more of a supporting player role. Moses Malone going to Philly breaking up the Celtic/Laker hold on the league.
I was thinking the same thing. Absolutely loved season 1. Great show.

And I know I’ve mentioned this already but I freaking love the Jerry West character. Makes me laugh every damn episode.

Reactions: tumorboy and GES4
I was thinking the same thing. Absolutely loved season 1. Great show.

And I know I’ve mentioned this already but I freaking love the Jerry West character. Makes me laugh every damn episode.
The characters have their worst traits heightened. For dramatic effect. But in reality probably fair to an outsider looking in on things. If you're a part of it. I'm sure your take depending on circumstances is different. Nobody enjoys some of the worst moments in their lives laid bare.

With 4:00 minutes left in the latest episode, Lakers are playing the Bulls in the Forum. Scene cuts from new coach Pat Riley ripping the team a new ass in the locker room to a great shot of a young #12 Ronnie Lester going in for a left side layup and having his shot just blocked off the backboard by Kareem. Kind of cool to see.

Love this series BTW.

Reactions: Bro D
Pat Riley ripping the team a new ass in the locker room to a great shot of a young #12 Ronnie Lester going in for a left side layup and having his shot just blocked off the backboard by Kareem.
Not being old enough to remember those days, I forgot he played with the Bulls. I was confused by your description at first because he’s of course best known for that ‘85 Laker championship team.

This show was canceled?!?!?!?!?!?!? WTF!! Arguably the best frickin show on TV. Very disappoint

Yeah, obviously there won't be a season 3 which just sucks. There's a lot of story left to tell. You know, they could just say that we don't know when season 3 will come out. Season 3 could have taken them through the Lakers win in 85 all the way into the 90's as the Lakers lost to the Bulls. Then they could have transitioned into following Michael Jordan and the Bulls, although there hasn't been a tell-all book to base it off of. Well, I guess you could use Scottie Pippen's book but I'm not sure anyone actually read that.

In the age of streaming, isn't it a little premature to assess ratings immediately? I just finished episode 4. Seems like they could wait a few months.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT