ADVERTISEMENT

Winter Storm Warning for the second weekend in a row in North Carolina...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – A winter storm watch will be in effect for all of central North Carolina from Thursday evening through Saturday morning.

WHAT WE ARE EXPECTING: Accumulating snow, sleet, and ice. This is looking like a mainly freezing rain event for counties in the Sandhills and the Coastal Plain.

TIMING: Mainly Friday afternoon and evening, but some snow and mix will be possible Thursday night behind a cold front.

Our next weather maker will arrive on Thursday. Rain will be likely as a cold front moves through during the day. After highs in the 40s, temperatures will fall late in the day and some rain will change to light snow in the afternoon and evening.

The best chance for this to happen will be in areas from the Triangle to the northeast. Any light snow will end early Thursday evening. Up to an inch of snow will be possible in those areas.

That front will stall along our coast on Friday and low pressure will move up along it. With cold arctic air in place, snow will develop during the afternoon and be around through Friday night. A winter storm watch will be in effect for mainly Friday across all of central North Carolina.

Snowfall amounts should be heaviest right across central North Carolina as it could reach up to 6 inches in some areas, including Raleigh. Lesser amounts are expected toward Virginia. Ice accumulations in the southern Coastal Plain and southern Sandhills could reach up to 1/3 inch.

Toward Fayetteville and Goldsboro some freezing rain and sleet will also be possible. What we get will all depend on where the area of low pressure sets up. The closer the low gets to central North Carolina, the more likely it is we will have a mix. The farther away the low pressure drifts, the better chance the cold air keeps our precipitation type as snow.

The storm system will move away early Saturday with just some early lingering snow flurries. It will then be dry the rest of the weekend, but it will stay cold. Highs on Friday will be in the 20s, look for 30s on Saturday and by Sunday highs will make it to 40.

Next week will be generally dry and continue cold with highs staying well below normal.

My friend's daughter just moved from Jacksonville up to Charlotte two weeks ago...she's never lived outside of Florida.
LOL her Mom and Dad are wondering how long before she calls them and says please come up here and help me move back.

My friend's daughter just moved from Jacksonville up to Charlotte two weeks ago...she's never lived outside of Florida.
LOL her Mom and Dad are wondering how long before she calls them and says please come up here and help me move back.

We moved from Chicago to the Charlotte area almost twenty years ago. I appreciate still seeing all four seasons including some snow, but there is a lot less shoveling than in Chicago and the midwest and the temperatures are usually much milder in the winter! I am sure your friend's daughter had a much different perspective coming in from Florida though.

Reactions: goldmom
Moved to the Charlotte area in 1998 from Rochester, MN. I had worked called off more in the first winter storm than I did in the entire 13 years in Rochester.

I like Charlotte - it has always struck me as a town with lots of energy.

I like Charlotte - it has always struck me as a town with lots of energy.
Ive been going to Charlotte for work a few days every year for 20 years and it grows each and every time I visit. The locals call the inlux of people moving "halfbacks". They move down to Fl from up north, then decide it's too warm and move halfway back. Got a good kick outta that.

Reactions: Finance85
ADVERTISEMENT