ADVERTISEMENT

Wireless Joey

hexumhawk

HB Legend
Sep 24, 2003
North Liberty
Anyone had any experience here with this?

Neighbor gave me his old 50' Tv and was going to put in the garage. We have dish so my options are a wireless Joey ($50 + $7 per mo.) or running a hard line and mirroring the living room tv. Problem is I don't know if our wireless internet will be smooth through all of that and worry about drops and the costs.

You make the call HROT

I don't know how dish works, but for Direct tv, the wireless receivers don't use your home wireless network. You have a separate wireless network through another direct tv device that the receivers connect to.

Originally posted by gusto79:
I don't know how dish works, but for Direct tv, the wireless receivers don't use your home wireless network. You have a separate wireless network through another direct tv device that the receivers connect to.
My Direct TV uses my home wireless network. Or so I was told. And when the router goes down, so do some features of DTV.

I'm linking a forum that 'splains things, more or less.
This post was edited on 3/24 9:41 AM by Lone Clone

Answer is yes and no

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

My Direct TV uses my home wireless network. Or so I was told. And when the router goes down, so do some features of DTV.
You would use your home wireless for connecting to the internet for stuff like video on demand, but for just the wireless receiver to get normal TV, it just connects to the main receiver.

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

You would use your home wireless for connecting to the internet for stuff like video on demand, but for just the wireless receiver to get normal TV, it just connects to the main receiver.
I was wondering about that since it has it own power source and antenna. The bigger problem is the extra monthly fee and $50 charge. It is necessary to have a tv in the garage but I would use it occasionally. I can get 100 ft of AV cable for $20; would just have to hide it.

Doesn't Dish have an app for playstation that let's you use your ps as another receiver? Maybe that would be an option for you. I'd imagine you can find PS3s fairly cheap these days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT