ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin Assembly passes constitutional amendment to limit diversity efforts

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A constitutional amendment supported by Republicans that attempts to limit diversity, equity and inclusion efforts in Wisconsin won approval Thursday in the state Assembly.

The measure is the latest effort targeting DEI efforts nationwide, but it is a long way from becoming law in Wisconsin. It must also pass the Senate this year and then the full Legislature next session before it would go to a statewide vote to be added to the Wisconsin Constitution.

The Senate is only expected to be in session a couple more days before ending its work for the year in March.

Wisconsin Republicans have been proposing more constitutional amendments because they don’t require a sign off from Democratic Gov. Tony Evers. He has vetoed more bills than any other governor in state history, serving as a block on the agenda of Republicans who have strong majorities in the Legislature.

The proposal passed Thursday would prohibit state and local governments, including the Universities of Wisconsin and local school districts, from discriminating against or granting preferential treatment to anybody on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity or national origin. It requires hiring decisions to be based on “merit, fairness and equality,” a term conservatives have used as a counter to DEI.

Conservative backers of the constitutional amendment say the programs are discriminatory and promote left-wing ideology. Democratic supporters say the programs are necessary for ensuring institutions and government meet the needs of increasingly diverse populations.

They didn’t already have laws against discrimination?

The problem is Federal level racist policies had superseded them. Pushback and clarity against racist DEI policies are / were unfortunately needed. A lot more work across the country is needed to undo this harm. Racism should not be at the basis of any hiring policy unfortunately DEI is explicitly racist policy.

We need to start calling it what it is, the policy and advocates are racists.

• Love
Reactions: Scruddy and abby97
Can anyone tell me ways in which the republicans have made efforts to improve american's lives in the last decade?
Aside from tax cuts for the rich....
Is this question in reference to using DEI as an excuse to hire less qualified people for jobs? Do you really think giving a preference to people because of DEI improves American's lives?

Keeping dudes out of women’s bathrooms. Pro Women’s Rights.

The Left sold their soul & their brains on that issue.
Pro women's rights? Did you really type that?
You don't feel the least bit stupid for it?
I guess that makes sense, you post lots of stupid shit defending eloon and aren't self conscious, so it tracks.

Is this question in reference to using DEI as an excuse to hire less qualified people for jobs? Do you really think giving a preference to people because of DEI improves American's lives?
Please provide evidence that they are less qualified.
Or do you just assume that women and minorities are automatically less qualified than straight white males?

Why does the left have an issue with this?

It requires hiring decisions to be based on “merit, fairness and equality,”

Or do you just assume that women and minorities are automatically less qualified than straight white males?

Anybody that doesn't support this type of law is the one actually saying that

The problem is Federal level racist policies had superseded them. Pushback and clarity against racist DEI policies are / were unfortunately needed. A lot more work across the country is needed to undo this harm. Racism should not be at the basis of any hiring policy unfortunately DEI is explicitly racist policy.

We need to start calling it what it is, the policy and advocates are racists.
True.

Your question provides the answer, and also ignores my point. I'll restate it for you. Hiring should be based on the best qualified person without regard to DEI. If DEI is a factor, qualifications logically are less important.

Your question provides the answer, and also ignores my point. I'll restate it for you. Hiring should be based on the best qualified person without regard to DEI. If DEI is a factor, qualifications logically are less important.
So.....no, you have no evidence.
Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT