ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin making moves

HawknBadgerLand

All-Conference
Jul 13, 2017
What do you guys think the Badgers are going to look like next year? New coach, new coordinators, tons of transfers coming in including 3 new QBs. I've talked with my badger friends that are excited about the new direction, but I wonder if it's possible they could be the new Nebraska?

There is no way they can keep up with Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, USC in recruiting, but it seems like they're going to try to replicate their style of play (at least on the offensive side of the ball). They've been the leaders in the West since the east/west split, and have been a staple in the Big Ten with their style of play since Barry took over.

Can they make this large of a transition and lead once again? Will they still get the NFL running backs and have a solid defense? God I hope not. It's going to be an interesting season.

Yeah, I am not a fan of Wisconsin ever. I even rooted for Michigan State last night to beat them in BBall. That was pretty scary!
Same! Haha. All my friends are Badger fans so naturally Wisconsin is my most hated team. I get just as nervous watching big Wisconsin games as I do watching Iowa games. The Duke/WI championship game was probably harder to watch then the Iowa/Michigan State big ten champ game.

What do you guys think the Badgers are going to look like next year? New coach, new coordinators, tons of transfers coming in including 3 new QBs. I've talked with my badger friends that are excited about the new direction, but I wonder if it's possible they could be the new Nebraska?

There is no way they can keep up with Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, USC in recruiting, but it seems like they're going to try to replicate their style of play (at least on the offensive side of the ball). They've been the leaders in the West since the east/west split, and have been a staple in the Big Ten with their style of play since Barry took over.

Can they make this large of a transition and lead once again? Will they still get the NFL running backs and have a solid defense? God I hope not. It's going to be an interesting season.
Switching to a version of the air raid offense.

Switching to a version of the air raid offense.
I've read that they still consider themselves a power running team. If they maintain their running game and improve their passing game with all this new talent, new coaches, new system, and a mobile running QB, they will be unstoppable (on paper). I think somethings gotta give, there's no way they will dominate in the run game like they have in the past. They've had what like 10 guys stick in the NFL the past decade or so?

Reactions: IAHUNTER
I've read that they still consider themselves a power running team. If they maintain their running game and improve their passing game with all this new talent, new coaches, new system, and a mobile running QB, they will be unstoppable (on paper). I think somethings gotta give, there's no way they will dominate in the run game like they have in the past. They've had what like 10 guys stick in the NFL the past decade or so?
To me it is really not much different than what Iowa State tries to run.

Reactions: grayhair81
I'm not as worried about next year as three years down the road. I think they're going to be very, very good. If they keep the divisions close to where they are when USC and UCLA join I think Wisconsin plays in a lot of conference championships.

I think Wisconsin is competitive to stay in most sports, especially football. Nebraska has 1.9 million people and I think one division 1 football team, Iowa had 3.1 million people and 3 division 1 football teams, Wisconsin has 5.9 million people and one division 1 football team and no division 2 football teams. They have a really strong inherent advantage in population. Sure they will loose a few kids like we do but they have a lot more talent available every year. I think the jury is out on Fickel long term but there is a reason he picked the Wisconsin program as he could have picked from many. Big Ten West is probably the easiest division in major college football right now.

I'm not as worried about next year as three years down the road. I think they're going to be very, very good. If they keep the divisions close to where they are when USC and UCLA join I think Wisconsin plays in a lot of conference championships.
Divisions gone. Will be 3 to 4 protected teams, basically so Michigan always plays Mich State and Ohio State, etc. Iowa always plays Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska ...................................

Who cares

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Scott Dochterman has reported that divisionless is all but guaranteed at this point. He had an article on 12/13/22 analyzing what a divisionless B10 would look like.

-----

The Big Ten will keep its East and West divisions through the 2023 season, and then USC and UCLA are slated to become official members on Aug. 2, 2024. It’s a near certainty the conference will then switch to a single-conference layout for scheduling and championship game qualification. But there are a few details to discuss before making it official, largely the number of protected rivals and opponent frequency. The topic has generated significant discussion but likely will wait until the league’s winter meetings in mid-February or perhaps as late as the spring meetings in May before it concludes.

Like Cincy, only in Wiscy. Gonna be near the same defense but with a damn good Off.

With so many new players and coaches, it might be a struggle next year

Phil Longo comes from the Air Raid coaching tree, but he doesn’t run the Mike Leach offense that throws it 70+% of the time. He has been around a 55/45 run/pass split in his time at UNC. A few years ago he had two 1000 yard rushers (and almost did it in consecutive years). The biggest knock on his offense has been the ability to move it between the 20s, but struggling in the red zone

They have put a huge emphasis on rebuilding the QB room over the last month. Longo has shown that they’ll be able to attract quality QBs. They also have attracted the interest of some big time pass catchers, but haven’t landed one yet. We’ll have to see if they’re able to consistently land those type of players because the success of the offense is dependent on having playmakers on the perimeter

It’ll be interesting to see how they blend the power run game with the Air Raid passing game. The state will continue to produce OL and I’m sure they’ll still sell the RB tradition even if it doesn’t look the same. There is always a risk when making a big schematic change, but I think most fans are cautiously optimistic

The defense is a different story, as that side of the ball had been highly successful for a long time. Tressel has fielded successful defenses at MSU and Cincinnati, but not at the level that Leonhard has. At Cincinnati they ran a 3-3-5 and had a lot of success developing DBs, but he claims they will be blending what he had been doing with what Leonhard had been doing. Based on Tressel and Fickell’s track record on defense, I don’t have concerns about fielding quality defenses, but I imagine there will be a drop off from previous levels (especially with an offense that isn’t as ball-dominant)

Gary Anderson gave them an elite defense for the past several years so there was some good there. I don't remember him bringing in 10+ transfers right away, but was a different time then.

Anderson's short tenure with Wisconsin didn't produce anything that lasted several years,.. Recent Badger success with their defense was primarily pushed by Alvarez and the defensive coaching staff post Anderson...

They have put a huge emphasis on rebuilding the QB room over the last month. Longo has shown that they’ll be able to attract quality QBs.

I'd wait to see on field QB performance prior to issuing this proclamation...

Wisconsin with a good coach is definitely a problem.

I'll say the same with Nebraska.

We need this offense to IMPROVE and our defense to keep doing what they are doing.

Otherwise we will go backwards.

Last edited:
I'd wait to see on field QB performance prior to issuing this proclamation...
Longo has established a track record of high quality QB play. Each of the players listed below had a single season passer rating north of 150, which has only been accomplished once at Wisconsin since Russell Wilson (2019 Jack Coan)

2017: Shea Patterson/Jordan Ta’amu
2018: Jordan Ta’amu
2019-21: Sam Howell
2022: Drake Maye

Even before he went to Ole Miss, his QB won the FCS Walter Payton award

I think it’s a safe assumption that Longo will bring quality QB play. He has landed several guys that he coveted as recruits at previous stops. How it translates to a productive B1G offense is more of a question in my mind

Reactions: badger-007
The defense was built by Dave Aranda, who Andersen brought in. Leonard was handed the keys to a Ferrari and ran with it.

Aware of that,... Aranda remained at Wisconsin when Anderson left and that's when he was allowed to fully pursue his defensive vision with Alvarez looking over his shoulder,.. Anderson's offensive plan never meshed with Barry's...

Phil Longo comes from the Air Raid coaching tree, but he doesn’t run the Mike Leach offense that throws it 70+% of the time. He has been around a 55/45 run/pass split in his time at UNC. A few years ago he had two 1000 yard rushers (and almost did it in consecutive years). The biggest knock on his offense has been the ability to move it between the 20s, but struggling in the red zone

They have put a huge emphasis on rebuilding the QB room over the last month. Longo has shown that they’ll be able to attract quality QBs. They also have attracted the interest of some big time pass catchers, but haven’t landed one yet. We’ll have to see if they’re able to consistently land those type of players because the success of the offense is dependent on having playmakers on the perimeter

It’ll be interesting to see how they blend the power run game with the Air Raid passing game. The state will continue to produce OL and I’m sure they’ll still sell the RB tradition even if it doesn’t look the same. There is always a risk when making a big schematic change, but I think most fans are cautiously optimistic

The defense is a different story, as that side of the ball had been highly successful for a long time. Tressel has fielded successful defenses at MSU and Cincinnati, but not at the level that Leonhard has. At Cincinnati they ran a 3-3-5 and had a lot of success developing DBs, but he claims they will be blending what he had been doing with what Leonhard had been doing. Based on Tressel and Fickell’s track record on defense, I don’t have concerns about fielding quality defenses, but I imagine there will be a drop off from previous levels (especially with an offense that isn’t as ball-dominant)
Doesn't the air-raid offensive style also require smaller, more athletic offensive lineman as well? Wisconsin has had success recruiting in-state big bodies for their system. It will be interesting to see if there is an adjustment period there as well.

Doesn't the air-raid offensive style also require smaller, more athletic offensive lineman as well? Wisconsin has had success recruiting in-state big bodies for their system. It will be interesting to see if there is an adjustment period there as well.
I’m not an expert by any means, but I believe the main difference is that the Longo’s offense will have wider splits along the OL than they did previously

I don’t think they necessarily target smaller OL, but it’s likely a byproduct of placing more of a priority on lateral agility. It’s hard to find those guys that can pass protect proficiently while still blowing open holes in the run game

The talent is there to have a pretty good OL, but I would expect that they’re in for a bit of an adjustment period

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT