ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin-System-How do we end the frustration?

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
I tortured myself and watched some of the Iowa-Wis game from this last season....shouldn't have because it just gets me very frustrated. We made some mistakes that helped them win the game, but the bottom line is they just man handled us up front with their Oline and when you can't stop the run it's game over.

I had to stop watching after a little while...but what I did see is that the oline just walls you off, the talented running backs(pick any year) are patient behind the line and then just hit a seem as soon as it shows itself. Then Wisky is just body on body and they keep pounding away....all obvious and yet we can't stop them.

Defensively they just seem to overwhelm at the point of attack.....I hate losing to these guys. WHAT is the answer? How do we beat these guys?

Thoughts? I am not offended by someone asserting other or more issues, I just would like to read something that appears to present a way that we can beat these guys.

I tortured myself and watched some of the Iowa-Wis game from this last season....shouldn't have because it just gets me very frustrated. We made some mistakes that helped them win the game, but the bottom line is they just man handled us up front with their Oline and when you can't stop the run it's game over.

I had to stop watching after a little while...but what I did see is that the oline just walls you off, the talented running backs(pick any year) are patient behind the line and then just hit a seem as soon as it shows itself. Then Wisky is just body on body and they keep pounding away....all obvious and yet we can't stop them.

Defensively they just seem to overwhelm at the point of attack.....I hate losing to these guys. WHAT is the answer? How do we beat these guys?

Thoughts? I am not offended by someone asserting other or more issues, I just would like to read something that appears to present a way that we can beat these guys.

You identified the real issue: Wiscy has simply been more physical than Iowa of late. Here are some numbers that back that up:

Since 2010 (8 games since they didn't play in 11 and 12)
PPG Wiscy with a 7.9 advantage (24.8-16.9)
Rushing per game-Wiscy with a 101.3 advantage (203.3-102). You really wouldn't need to look beyond this stat.
First downs-Wiscy with 4.5 more per game.
TOP-Wiscy with a 9:23 advantage per game. This one is huge and is a product of their ability to consistently control the LOS. This stat has actually gotten worse of late. They have had a 10-minute + advantage in each of the past four games.

Hawks need to get better at DT and LB to end the cycle. Period. They are the one team that has beaten Iowa's front 7 consistently.

Hire a real OC.
Looked like we had a real OC against USC. Maybe the Badger defense had something to do with it seeing that they are usually a top ten NCAA defense. Also it would help if we had a running game, which is something that we haven't had in years, and I don't necessarily think you can pin that on the OC.

Last edited:
You identified the real issue: Wiscy has simply been more physical than Iowa of late. Here are some numbers that back that up:

Since 2010 (8 games since they didn't play in 11 and 12)
PPG Wiscy with a 7.9 advantage (24.8-16.9)
Rushing per game-Wiscy with a 101.3 advantage (203.3-102). You really wouldn't need to look beyond this stat.
First downs-Wiscy with 4.5 more per game.
TOP-Wiscy with a 9:23 advantage per game. This one is huge and is a product of their ability to consistently control the LOS. This stat has actually gotten worse of late. They have had a 10-minute + advantage in each of the past four games.

Hawks need to get better at DT and LB to end the cycle. Period. They are the one team that has beaten Iowa's front 7 consistently.

That's been my feeling as well....particularly on the dline....I just see us getting shoved off of the line of scrimmage repeatedly and then unable to disengage the blocker in anything close to a sufficient amount of time. I think it might even be possible to get by with the LBs that we have if our dline could just stand their oline up at the LOS verses getting pushed downfield and having lanes created. The occasional penetration by our dline could really put a wrench in their run game but we aren't even close to getting that done.

In the game this last fall we had some pass plays that worked well...Toren Young ran the ball well at times but we made mistakes/fumble. As good as Wisconsin is it might be just that simple.....do a better job of stuffing their run game and it gives our offense more opportunities to get some consistency....to find a rhythm.

Their run game produces against pretty much everyone...not sure if anyone has actually shut it down.

I am hoping Nixon and Shannon can make a difference in the middle. D line play has mirrored O line play in recent years. More about finesse than mauling and attacking. I do think overall talent level has improved. I hope the line play starts to reflect that.

In the game this last fall we had some pass plays that worked well...Toren Young ran the ball well at times but we made mistakes/fumble. As good as Wisconsin is it might be just that simple.....do a better job of stuffing their run game and it gives our offense more opportunities to get some consistency....to find a rhythm.

Their run game produces against pretty much everyone...not sure if anyone has actually shut it down.
Ding ding ding.

We moved the ball well. What killed us was time of possession, and a fumble on our best drive of the first half. Not to mention being inches away on a 2-pt conversion.

Wisconsin had a 15 MINUTE advantage in the former, due to us being unable to get off the field on third down (8-14 for Wiscy). Also partly due to starting a RSFR at MLB against a very physical OL, since Welch was out.

When we had the ball, outside of a handful of drives, we were able to move it. Wisconsin beat us at our own game though, and played keep away with our offense.

Ding ding ding.

We moved the ball well. What killed us was time of possession, and a fumble on our best drive of the first half. Not to mention being inches away on a 2-pt conversion.

Wisconsin had a 15 MINUTE advantage in the former, due to us being unable to get off the field on third down (8-14 for Wiscy). Also partly due to starting a RSFR at MLB against a very physical OL, since Welch was out.

When we had the ball, outside of a handful of drives, we were able to move it. Wisconsin beat us at our own game though, and played keep away with our offense.

I am going to guess you won't find many examples of teams winning games when they give up 300 yards rushing and 6.5 ypc.

You know, the three of us would have already been labeled as heretics if everyone hadn't forgotten about sports?

Reactions: Frosty7130
I am hoping Nixon and Shannon can make a difference in the middle. D line play has mirrored O line play in recent years. More about finesse than mauling and attacking. I do think overall talent level has improved. I hope the line play starts to reflect that.

I looked at our roster and we seem pretty thin on the dline...Shannon is the fireplug type that I think could be effective in getting under those big offensive linemen...but I don’t feel real good about this specific problem.

Reactions: rainydayhawk
As long as Wisc has a running back that averages 150+ yds per game behind a massive OL, and a QB that doesn't hurt the team, they are going to be very tough to beat. Because, they play great defense too.

It seems to me, that Iowa is pretty small at DL and LB, overall, compared to other good teams. This is with absolutely no stats to back it up. Iowa has geared up it's D to be solid against "fast, athletic teams", but struggles against Wisky.

I will not pretend to have an answer to the problem.:(

Reactions: cm8124
I looked at our roster and we seem pretty thin on the dline...Shannon is the fireplug type that I think could be effective in getting under those big offensive linemen...but I don’t feel real good about this specific problem.

Looking at recruiting at DT back to the 16 class (5th year seniors this year)
2016-Lattimore and Schulte. Both 250 lb DEs that moved inside
2017-Nixon. 285 DE (although he was surely intended to move inside). Spent a year in CC-re-committed a year later at 305.
2018-Linderbaum (270 pounds-moved to Center), and Shannon (300)
2019-Hunt at 260-left the program. Logan Lee? Came in as a TE at 240 and moved to defense. Not sure where he is projecting.
2020 (incoming freshmen). 7 DEs. 0 DTs. One or more of them will be moving there but none of them has the size to play significant snaps there as a freshman. They are projects.
To summarize, they signed two guys in five classes with the size and/or experience to be considered an option at the position out of the box. In fairness, Lattimore did play as a true freshman so three guys in five classes.

Any team that plays a 4-3 against Wisky will struggle the way we do. Wisconsin will double one DT seal the other DT with their Center while they pull something up the middle to block the Mike LB by OL all 6'8" an 325lbs and up. They eat up a base 4-3 where ever they go, especially one that does not stunt, twist and turn. When we cheat up a Safety, Corner or pinch a Defensive End, they jet around the end or run their Play action pass game. Actually very basic scheme, very efficient.

There Defensive scheme is just as efficient with a 3-4 complete with a massive Nose Tackle and two other Massive DT and 4 4-Star Line Backers who all very effectively stuff our predictable Running attach.

The way to beat Wisconsin is to score with explosive Passing plays early, play with the early lead and force them out of their own running and Play Action Pass game. Then our base 4-3 is more effective. If not, stop them with a stunting 3-4 or 4-2-5.

Looked like we had a real OC against USC. Maybe the Badger defense had something to do with it seeing that they are usually a top ten NCAA defense. Also it would help if we had a running game, which is something that we haven't had in years, and I don't necessarily think you can pin that on the OC.

Maybe you can't pin it, but I can. Who recruited the current OL and was responsible for developing them 4 or 5 years ago? Who is currently utilizing very little misdirection in the offensive scheme, which is a critical ingredient
in any good running game?

And why would you try to hang your hat on a near meaningless post season game instead of the offensive performance in the critical MI, WI, and PSU games?

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
Any team that plays a 4-3 against Wisky will struggle the way we do. Wisconsin will double one DT seal the other DT with their Center while they pull something up the middle to block the Mike LB by OL all 6'8" an 325lbs and up. They eat up a base 4-3 where ever they go, especially one that does not stunt, twist and turn. When we cheat up a Safety, Corner or pinch a Defensive End, they jet around the end or run their Play action pass game. Actually very basic scheme, very efficient.

There Defensive scheme is just as efficient with a 3-4 complete with a massive Nose Tackle and two other Massive DT and 4 4-Star Line Backers who all very effectively stuff our predictable Running attach.

The way to beat Wisconsin is to score with explosive Passing plays early, play with the early lead and force them out of their own running and Play Action Pass game. Then our base 4-3 is more effective. If not, stop them with a stunting 3-4 or 4-2-5.
It's not a 4-3 thing. And if anything, a 4-3 is better situationally than a 4-2-5, since with all their heavy sets you'd rather have that extra LB who's better suited to take on blockers.

Northwestern, Illinois, Ohio State, and Oregon all ran 4-3 fronts against Wisconsin with success.

I posted close to this before. Alvarez woke the sleeping giant. WI has a population of over five million and the Badgers are the only D-1 (or whatever they call it now.) school. WI has very good HS football and Barry hosted damn near every coach. WI kids want to Badgers. They have their pick of 6'5' linemen who already weigh over 300 lbs. and there are plenty of tough LB's to choose from. They also get half their skill players from the greater Milwaukee area. (not meant to be racist, but maybe it is) They then go out to the NJ area and tell superior RB's about the OL's. Finding decent QB's has been their only problem although they found one for a year who now plays for a team in Seattle.

Maybe you can't pin it, but I can. Who recruited the current OL and was responsible for developing them 4 or 5 years ago? Who is currently utilizing very little misdirection in the offensive scheme, which is a critical ingredient

And why would you try to hang your hat on a near meaningless post season game instead of the offensive performance in the critical MI, WI, and PSU games?
Iowa plays a lot of games against top 25 defenses, which USC was not. Your trying to blame Brian because Iowa doesn't score a ton of points, when in reality, you only need to score more then the opposing team. How many teams score 30 plus points against Ped State, Wisconsin, Michigan or tOSU or even Northwestern.? Not many, cept for maybe tOSU, which Ferentz did hang 55 on. Yes, the run game needs to improve, but that is on the line coaches, the RB coaches, ect. No OC is perfect with their play calling all the time, however trying to blame Iowa's woes on Brian is kind of a crock, no disrespect intended. It takes more then just calling plays to be good, and beating Wisconsin requires a complete game without mistakes, Iowa I believe had a better team the past two seasons, but made entirely to many mistakes ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL to win. Your more then welcome to dislike Brian and blame him for the football teams 3 losses this past season, and the losses to Bucky, but that is a very shallow view of a TEAMS performances. ;) LOL BTW...If your looking for big offensive numbers, good luck, your never going to have great offensive numbers with a ball control offense.

Burn it down.....

Iowa plays a lot of games against top 25 defenses, which USC was not. Your trying to blame Brian because Iowa doesn't score a ton of points, when in reality, you only need to score more then the opposing team. How many teams score 30 plus points against Ped State, Wisconsin, Michigan or tOSU or even Northwestern.? Not many, cept for maybe tOSU, which Ferentz did hang 55 on. Yes, the run game needs to improve, but that is on the line coaches, the RB coaches, ect. No OC is perfect with their play calling all the time, however trying to blame Iowa's woes on Brian is kind of a crock, no disrespect intended. It takes more then just calling plays to be good, and beating Wisconsin requires a complete game without mistakes, Iowa I believe had a better team the past two seasons, but made entirely to many mistakes ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL to win. Your more then welcome to dislike Brian and blame him for the football teams 3 losses this past season, and the losses to Bucky, but that is a very shallow view of a TEAMS performances. ;) LOL BTW...If your looking for big offensive numbers, good luck, your never going to have great offensive numbers with a ball control offense.

Of all the things we don't have, a ball control offense is at the top of the list. An inordinate number of 3 and outs and short yardage conversion failures are the antithesis of ball control.

I didn't even mention play-calling. Schemes are not play-call. Schemes are the design of the offense and are much more fundamental and are the foundation of the offense.

Not show up

I think Iowa needs to recruit and develop, particularly the defense, in a different fashion all together. Stop recruiting athletes that can develop and start finding guys with size and strength to begin with along with the athleticism. That’s putting it simplistically but it’s a starting point. Let’s get some more 330 lb d tackles, let’s get some fast and strong 6’5” backers. Maybe shy away from the 6’2” 250 lb ends a little bit. We need more meat and overall size to push back against that monster O line. Change up defensive schemes more as well, that part I’m less sure on as not a huge Xs and Os guy. I believe Iowa values certain things in their defense which may have something to do with the base cover D they run. These matchup concerns also may be related to player development and recruiting focus. Just my .02.

Having our starting middle linebacker healthy might have helped. Has anyone brought that up?

Also it would help if we had a running game, which is something that we haven't had in years, and I don't necessarily think you can pin that on the OC.

We were running the ball on Wisky until Young fumbled.

And Akrum Wadley had back to back 1000 yard seasons in both 2016 and 2017. We’ve had a running game in very recent years.

Last edited:

How’s Roger Staubach these days, troll?

Having our starting middle linebacker healthy might have helped. Has anyone brought that up?

We were running the ball on Wisky until Young fumbled.

And Akrum Wadley had back to back 1000 yard seasons in both 2016 and 2017. We’ve had a running game in very recent years.
I would agree that at times we have run the ball decent, and Wadley had some good games, but I know reading these forums on a weekly basis tells me that we have not had an adequate running game in several years. I think that has been one of the boards bigger complaints is the lack of a great ground game. Now, I think that will change with TGood. It also has hurt the run game in the past that we had mediocre WR's, which should change this upcoming season, along with having a good TE. This thread is basically about why were not beating Wisconsin, and Brian Ferentz was being thrown out as a reason. I don't like all the plays he calls at times he calls them, but he is not the reason were not beating Bucky. Mistakes and not finishing are the reason. We had them beat a couple years ago, and our D let them run right down the field in the fourth and score. So, why are we losing to Bucky, more then just the OC. ;) Of course, does it really matter who the OC is? People hear hated KOK when he was calling the plays. They hated GD when he was calling the plays, so I would say being an OC and being hated comes with the territory. LOL If Brian stepped down as OC, this forum would hate the next OC as well.......Also, good call about the LB Flick.

I posted close to this before. Alvarez woke the sleeping giant. WI has a population of over five million and the Badgers are the only D-1 (or whatever they call it now.) school. WI has very good HS football and Barry hosted damn near every coach. WI kids want to Badgers. They have their pick of 6'5' linemen who already weigh over 300 lbs. and there are plenty of tough LB's to choose from. They also get half their skill players from the greater Milwaukee area. (not meant to be racist, but maybe it is) They then go out to the NJ area and tell superior RB's about the OL's. Finding decent QB's has been their only problem although they found one for a year who now plays for a team in Seattle.
Wisconsin gets very few skill players from the greater Milwaukee area. None of the scholarship DBs on the roster are even from Wisconsin. There is one scholarship WR and one scholarship RB from the greater Milwaukee area.

Probably 75% of in-state recruiting happens in the trenches

Football is a game of inches.........had the 2 pt conversion been successful, without the REF blocking, that game outcome perhaps changes. The two programs have been very successful in the past 5, 10 even 20 years. The Badgers have definitely had the Hawkeyes number, although the Hawkeyes did beat Badgers and get to Indy in 2015.

Football is a game of inches.........had the 2 pt conversion been successful, without the REF blocking, that game outcome perhaps changes. The two programs have been very successful in the past 5, 10 even 20 years. The Badgers have definitely had the Hawkeyes number, although the Hawkeyes did beat Badgers and get to Indy in 2015.

So if Stanley HADN'T gotten stuffed at the goal line, Wisconsin wouldn't have driven the ball to the Iowa 10 in five plays to be in range for a chip shot FG?

Reactions: badger-007
So if Stanley HADN'T gotten stuffed at the goal line, Wisconsin wouldn't have driven the ball to the Iowa 10 in five plays to be in range for a chip shot FG?

You don’t know that would happen, do you? Maybe Wisconsin fumbles and Iowa returns it for the winning touchdown. We’ll never know.

Like he said, it’s a game of inches. We’ve been right there with Wisky the last two seasons. If we were getting blown out, maybe I’d be taking the same alarmist tone that you have in this thread, but we’re right there with them.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
You don’t know that would happen, do you? Maybe Wisconsin fumbles and Iowa returns it for the winning touchdown. We’ll never know.

Like he said, it’s a game of inches. We’ve been right there with Wisky the last two seasons. If we were getting blown out, maybe I’d be taking the same alarmist tone that you have in this thread, but we’re right there with them.

Not alarmist, l'il buddy. Just a realist. They have been more physical the last eight games they played. Nothing more. Nothing less. I think they have a couple guys in the middle now who may change that. Hopefully we will see if people come out from their bunkers before fall.

welp, one has to admit the running backs they have been able to get there are above and beyond most on talent. It is the old momentum, like Iowa being TE U. In terms of QBs they have been average except for the year with Wilson. To me it has been their defense more than anything. They get walk ons that play lights out. JJ Watt was a walk on I believe. Sometimes you just hit the GD lottery.

The defense in my opinion has been on an upswing since Dave Aranda arrived and implemented the 3/4. Successive DCs have tweeked the concept. Coach Leonard seems to be finding, within the confines of admissions, recruits that can learn and enjoy their their role in the defense. As Iowa fans can appreciate, that is no easy task at some positions.

The 2010 game was a classic. Tons of talent on the field. Wisconsin ran a fake punt to win the game.

I don't blame Iowa for the 2017 loss as Iowa had just pulled off the biggest win in years by crushing Ohio State.

I thought Iowa out played Wisconsin in 2018 but had 2 fluke plays on special teams to lose the game.

I thought Iowa had a bad offensive plan in 2016. Iowa did not adjust to the Wisconsin run blitz.

I think the 2014 game was a dog fight until the final gun sounded. We just came up short.

KF is a great coach and we are lucky to have him. I think his son is getting better as the OC I will take a 10 win season with 3 wins in trophy games, wins over NW & IL and a Bowl win any day.

To echo what another poster said, they’ve just been better in the trenches then we have. I don’t know if it’s recruiting, coaching or a little of both. Eve produced great, NFL talent on both lines but also have had some weaknesses there too.

Speaking of last year, Linderbaum showed great potential but his lack of experience showed with some choppy footwork and poor scoop blocking against PSU and Michigan. He’ll get better with experience, improved as the season went along and has the potential to be great. Our Guard play was much worse.

That’s been my biggest gripe. KF is an OL coach. We’re supposed to be OL U. We do produce NFL talent but don’t consistently crank out dominant OL’s across the board.

The 2010 game was a classic. Tons of talent on the field. Wisconsin ran a fake punt to win the game.

I don't blame Iowa for the 2017 loss as Iowa had just pulled off the biggest win in years by crushing Ohio State.

I thought Iowa out played Wisconsin in 2018 but had 2 fluke plays on special teams to lose the game.

I thought Iowa had a bad offensive plan in 2016. Iowa did not adjust to the Wisconsin run blitz.

I think the 2014 game was a dog fight until the final gun sounded. We just came up short.

KF is a great coach and we are lucky to have him. I think his son is getting better as the OC I will take a 10 win season with 3 wins in trophy games, wins over NW & IL and a Bowl win any day.
Hope all is well on West 3rd Street, WDH.:cool:

Honestly with Bucky, at this point of losing several straight I think it gets in the players head as well which translates into on field mistakes ect. Wisconsin has not had a better team the past few years, they have just made fewer mistakes.

He’s the poster formerly known as Goforthegold. He’s the worst Brian Ferentz hater here and has a history of trolling. He was in full meltdown mode last season, which in retrospect, makes him look really dumb when we won 10 games and finished ranked #15. Your points will be better received shouted at a brick wall.

It is kind of funny to read some of these posts. You'd think Wisky goes 2-12 and just pushed Iowa around. They do this to pretty much everybody, except OSU. As you stated we've been right there with them almost every season except maybe one. Frustrating, yes. Crisis, No......

The defense in my opinion has been on an upswing since Dave Aranda arrived and implemented the 3/4. Successive DCs have tweeked the concept. Coach Leonard seems to be finding, within the confines of admissions, recruits that can learn and enjoy their their role in the defense. As Iowa fans can appreciate, that is no easy task at some positions.

Absolutely... He did what I think Iowa should do and play like the Badgers have done ... if you look back even 5 years when the rags were saying “Wisconsin has too many big holes to fill on defense and will suffer mightily” or something to that tune and then Wisconsin comes out blowing teams off the ball as I think it’s safe to say Wisconsin reloads on defense not rebuilds... they just know who to plug n play in that wild defense... yes, Carlton I am jealous of Wisconsin’s suffocating defense

Absolutely... He did what I think Iowa should do and play like the Badgers have done ... if you look back even 5 years when the rags were saying “Wisconsin has too many big holes to fill on defense and will suffer mightily” or something to that tune and then Wisconsin comes out blowing teams off the ball as I think it’s safe to say Wisconsin reloads on defense not rebuilds... they just know who to plug n play in that wild defense... yes, Carlton I am jealous of Wisconsin’s suffocating defense

Are you saying Iowa hasn’t considered plug n play on defense? Like if only someone would tell KF about reloading vs. rebuilding, that would be the difference?

By the way, in 2019, Iowa had the #5 scoring defense in the country. Wisconsin’s was ranked 10th. I’d think they’d be jealous of our even more suffocating defense. In terms of yards per play, Iowa gave up 4.8. Wisconsin gave up 4.79. Iowa allowed 20 touchdowns. Wisconsin allowed 29. Again, we’re RIGHT THERE with Wisconsin. You chicken littles won’t look at facts.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/28

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

And, no other Big Ten team can boast that they’ve shut out four Big Ten teams over the last two seasons like Iowa has. It’s not even close.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT