ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Wisconsin WR Max Cooper commits to the Hawkeyes

Apr 8, 2003
Cooper commits to the Hawkeyes
Blair Sanderson | Editor

wo0waozzk6eo03m39h3q

Wisconsin wide receiver Max Cooper committed to the Iowa Hawkeyes today.

Wisconsin wide receiver Max Cooper has flipped his verbal commitment from Central Michigan to the Iowa Hawkeyes. The 6-foot-0, 175-pound Cooper made the decision shortly after receiving a scholarship offer from the Iowa coaching staff this week.

“Iowa offered me two nights ago,” said Cooper. “I decommitted from Central Michigan today and committed to Iowa.”

As a senior, Cooper put up big numbers at Waukesha Catholic Memorial with 50 catches for 1,024 and 17 touchdowns in leading them to a state title in 2016.

See highlights from Cooper’s senior year in the video below.

1st thing that crossed my mind was whether or not this has anything to do with what the staff feels will happen with Oliver Martin...

Maybe it doesn't. Hope not.

Why would it with Martin? We all know we need receivers and we only have 2 on scholarship now. I would think we would take atleast 1 more even with Martin.​

This shouldn't impact Oliver's decision. Cooper has solid film.
Yes indeed, I don't think Ollie's is that much better IMO, this kid is a 2 star and the difference is Ollie is a bit taller. Not sure of his competition in Wisky but had a lot of regional and state awards.

I just wanted to say that as a Badger fan I am very jealous you guys got this kid. He's going to be an absolute stud. I am very familiar with the H.S he plays at and they play in Wisconsins toughest conference (by far). Reminds me of a slightly shorter Jared Abbrederis. Super quick, great hands, and runs unbelievable routes. Don't know how we let him get away....

Excited to be getting after the WR position. hopefully wiscy regrets not offering this kid down the road

Looks like we might have quite the little Wisconsin one two punch with he and Stanley.. He looks to be everything KF's dreams are made of BUT can "White Lightning" block?????

Reactions: 24 so far
And so the parade of 2-stars begins ... I'm not being all negative, though. More like mixed emotions. When I apply my positive thinking cap, I wonder which of the late under-recruited/lower ranked additions will wind up being the next Vandeberg, Jewell, or Wadley (all 2-star guys).

Reactions: InsaneHawk
Ahh, the two stars. I am sure no one would give Wadley, Vandeberg and Jewell back because they were lowly 2 stars.

That's why I was careful to make that point. If Iowa winds up with 6 2-stars there's a good chance 2 of them will wind up being productive players given Iowa's track record. But I said "And so begins the parade of 2-stars" because it's always the last third of the recruiting class when Iowa picks up those types of guys.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Yeah, I fully understand your caution around here......LOL I am sure we will be getting the negative Nancy's coming out of the woodwork based solely on the two star rating.

Yeah, I'm the less common type who fits somewhere in the middle. Sure, I'd like to get more four and five star recruits, but I have paid attention to Iowa's recruiting long enough to know that Iowa's gotten a lot from 2-star prospects over the years. Would I blindly trade a 2-star for 4-star Epenesa? NO! But this new WR, for example, could be a Vandeberg. I did like reading that he runs good routes. Lord knows few of our current receivers do.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
I'm much less concerned about the 2* rating than I am lack of Power 5 offers or the time of year he was offered.

Those are both good rules of thumb. On the flip side, he's a very productive WR competing against the highest level of competition in WI and hasn't yet focused on just football. He's a 4 sport HS athlete. On balance, I like this recruit, but I'd be more comfortable if I had unbiased measurables from a camp like The Opening.

If it weren't so sad, the irony would be comical in a year where we need WRs more than any other.

Iowa had two highly touted WR commits recently decommit, citing one reason: Kirk Ferentz's "unfair" policy prohibiting them from visiting other schools after committing. These decommits were speedy 3 star Gavin Holmes, who had offers from Nebraska and ASU, and 6'4 Beau Corrales who had an amazing senior season against top TX competition. Many believed that both would be able to come in next year and contribute right away. But, "when you commit to a school, you are married to that school, and it is unethical to go on any further visits," right? A policy is a policy, so we have to respect that.

So how does "Mr. Integrity" back up his draconian anti-visit/paranoia policy that has already sent 4 of our highest rated commits packing? By offering this Cooper kid who had been firmly committed to Central Michigan for the past 6 months. I wonder what CMU's coach thinks of this? Recruits are making note of the hypocrisy, and if they have any other decent offers, they are going to make darn sure they never commit early to Iowa

Hypocrisy aside, I didn't even mention the fact that Cooper is a 2 star, 5'11, 175 lb fall back WR with no other offers. Who needs to upgrade in talent at WR when we can keep pulling in fall back kids.

Last edited:
I'm much less concerned about the 2* rating than I am lack of Power 5 offers or the time of year he was offered.

This. I totally understand Iowa has a tendency to make the most out of these kind of guys and that is awesome, but sometimes it just seems like a cop out that gives the coaches an excuse to under perform in recruiting. That being said I hope he turns out to be one of those gems that makes the coaches look like geniuses.

And so the parade of 2-stars begins ... I'm not being all negative, though. More like mixed emotions. When I apply my positive thinking cap, I wonder which of the late under-recruited/lower ranked additions will wind up being the next Vandeberg, Jewell, or Wadley (all 2-star guys).
From the 2013 to 2016 classes, I had tallied the number of misses versus "hits" out of the late commits ... and Iowa really tends to get surprisingly good production out of their late commits. Out of 24 commits during the aforementioned time-frame, only 21% thus far have been "confirmed" misses. The confirmed "hits" are right at 50% ... and a number of guys are still at a juncture in their careers when it's a little too early to tell.

He looks great on film, very quick feet and great hands. Speed looks plenty good as well and the quick feet will help to get separation. Nice pick up!

Reactions: rondy
This doesn't have anything to do with Martin. They only had Smith still committed at WR and were looking to sign 3-4. Now they have two.
Originally, earlier in the recruiting season, it looked like the Hawks were looking for 4 WRs to fill the class. However, subsequently, due to VandeBerg's injury and the likelihood that he'll be back for '17 ... that makes it seem more likely that we only need 3 WRs in the '17 class.

I'd look for the Hawks to only land one more WR in the current class. Besides, it appears as though they've shifted some more attention to WR recruiting in the 2018 class.

I just wanted to say that as a Badger fan I am very jealous you guys got this kid. He's going to be an absolute stud. I am very familiar with the H.S he plays at and they play in Wisconsins toughest conference (by far). Reminds me of a slightly shorter Jared Abbrederis. Super quick, great hands, and runs unbelievable routes. Don't know how we let him get away....
When did the Classic Eight become "by far" the toughest conference? There are about 4 other conferences that beg to differ.

I've never heard of Max before. Surprised I haven't seen his name brought up on any Wisconsin board if he is as good as you claim. Looks like he has the potential to be a good player.

I saw a kid with good speed outrun a bunch of high school kids. He needs to add a lot of strength and he won't be running past DBs in college (not to mention Iowa doesn't throw the ball deep).

This kid is not the game breaker that Iowa needs. Looks to be a solid student athlete that will work hard and hopefully develop and contribute. He's not a guy that will get Iowa to the promise land.

If it weren't so sad, the irony would be comical in a year where we need WRs more than any other.

Iowa had two highly touted WR commits recently decommit, citing one reason: Kirk Ferentz's "unfair" policy prohibiting them from visiting other schools after committing. These decommits were speedy 3 star Gavin Holmes, who had offers from Nebraska and ASU, and 6'4 Beau Corrales who had an amazing senior season against top TX competition. Many believed that both would be able to come in next year and contribute right away. But, "when you commit to a school, you are married to that school, and it is unethical to go on any further visits," right? A policy is a policy, so we have to respect that.

So how does "Mr. Integrity" back up his draconian anti-visit/paranoia policy that has already sent 4 of our highest rated commits packing? By offering this Cooper kid who had been firmly committed to Central Michigan for the past 6 months. I wonder what CMU's coach thinks of this? Recruits are making note of the hypocrisy, and if they have any other decent offers, they are going to make darn sure they never commit early to Iowa

Hypocrisy aside, I didn't even mention the fact that Cooper is a 2 star, 5'11, 175 lb fall back WR with no other offers. Who needs to upgrade in talent at WR when we can keep pulling in fall back kids.
Get off your phone and finish making my Taco Pizza! Or I'll tell your manager at Casey's .

Funny, I thought Coralles was a 2 star recruit with an offer from some directional school in Texas. I didn't realize he was highly touted. Who knew.

And I want to make another point in that a lot of kids in the state of Wisconsin are for w
When did the Classic Eight become "by far" the toughest conference? There are about 4 other conferences that beg to differ.

I've never heard of Max before. Surprised I haven't seen his name brought up on any Wisconsin board if he is as good as you claim. Looks like he has the potential to be a good player.
I think a combined 10 state championship appearances by C8 teams since only 2010 speaks for itself

Reactions: garberhawkeye
I didn't even mention the fact that Cooper is a 2 star, 5'11, 175 lb fall back WR with no other offers. Who needs to upgrade in talent at WR when we can keep pulling in fall back kids.

What is funny is you never miss an opportunity to criticize coach Ferentz for platooning Akrum Wadley, a player who you have over-hyped as an elite and unique "once in every few decades" RB.

Yet Akrum Wadley was a 2-star, 5-10, 180lb RB who had only one other offer (Temple). At 5ft 11and 175lbs, Cooper is almost the exact same size as Wadley. Rivals rated Wadley 5.2.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/11702

By your definition (above), Akrum Wadley was a "fall back kid".

I look forward to your posts a few years from now criticizing coach Ferentz for failing to properly utilize superstar Max Cooper. That would fit your modus operandi perfectly.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT