ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin

I will remember to stay away from Eugene.

In SF, they just erected tents. Just sniff the air, the poop on the sidewalks will guide you to the location where they live.

Yeah... Eugene might have more homeless per capita than any other city in the US. But that’s not the definition of crazy I’m talking about. That’s part of the equation, but not a draw. Lol

This is an open minded big town. Folks are judged differently here than in a lot of places I’ve lived/visited. And I like that aspect of Lane County OR.

Reactions: grapplefann
i was really surprised how cocky some Wisconsin people are and rude...I was part of an east coast team (asst. coach) that competed at The Clash in late 2000's and it was our 1st real National competition and 1st time anyone from our state wrestled there...Everyone was so nice until we ran into the Wisconsin Rapids fans and parents the night before Tournament...We told them were not highly nationally ranked right now (had zero transfers just homegrown kids) but had a solid team...They basically laughed at us because they were pretty high and told us they are loaded and they are going to Win this...A couple of them said maybe you'll have a good Tournament and finish in the 5th or 6th pool...We were like oh boy maybe their right...Well after day 1 we Won our pool and beat Apple Valley in our final.. they ended up 3rd in their pool...After day 1 we ran into them again and it was nothing but excuses...We had a good laugh that night...We finished 2nd overall and they finished 9th...looked it up it was 2005...Our program finished 3rd the next year...We were very fortunate to have a great HC and He was the 2019 NCAA Tournament Coach of Year.

Without looking it up, Jackson Memorial H.S?
They sure did have some tough teams those fews years.
I had some battles with a couple of their lightweights. Went 1-1 against them. I think both placed at the state tourney though (103 & 112).
Good memories

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
We forgot to add Santa Cruz CA to that freak show list. Santa Cruz is one of the few places to truly challenge Eugene for this coveted title. (Santa Cruz used to be my stomping grounds, too.) See any pattern here? Lol
Was there just for a little bit about 4 years ago. Not long enough to notice anything weird. Use to live close by in Campbell long, long, long ago. I'm ignoring the "el dub" common denominator. ;)

Reactions: el dub
Without looking it up, Jackson Memorial H.S?
They sure did have some tough teams those fews years.
I had some battles with a couple of their lightweights. Went 1-1 against them. I think both placed at the state tourney though (103 & 112).
Good memories
Yes...Did you wrestle Russel or Kinchen? We were just loaded down low those years...Our back up 103 won NHSCA Sophomore Nationals in Virginia Beach that year in a 120 man bracket with State Champs from all over USA in field. He couldn't break our line-up...What school did you wrestle for?

You must have wrestled for Hastings, Apple Valley. Montini Catholic or Carl Sandburg? we only went there 2 years and I think they were the only schools we met 2x

I'll never forget The Clash 5 (2006) the buzz around the Tournament and everyone was talking about the match up between Tony Ramos of Glenbard North and Destin McCauley from Apple Valley..I think they were #1 and #2 in USA. Ramos won 3-1 and then wasn't named on the All-Tournament Team..Ramos Mom went wild and it was a huge scene on the Tournament staff and she was right!

Last edited:
Yes...Did you wrestle Russel or Kinchen? We were just loaded down low those years...Our back up 103 won NHSCA Sophomore Nationals in Virginia Beach that year in a 120 man bracket with State Champs from all over USA in field. He couldn't break our line-up...What school did you wrestle for?

You must have wrestled for Hastings, Apple Valley. Montini Catholic or Carl Sandburg? we only went there 2 years and I think they were the only schools we met 2x

I'll never forget The Clash 5 (2006) the buzz around the Tournament and everyone was talking about the match up between Tony Ramos of Glenbard North and Destin McCauley from Apple Valley..I think they were #1 and #2 in USA. Ramos won 3-1 and then wasn't named on the All-Tournament Team..Ramos Mom went wild and it was a huge scene on the Tournament staff and she was right!

Unfortunately, I never got to wrestle at the Clash. I wrestled in NY before transfering to St. Benedict's Prep my senior year and destroying my shoulder second week in to the season.
I wrestled both Russel and Kinchen at " War at the Shore" or one of those pre-season tournaments.
Kinchen kicked my butt. It ended like 9-4 or 9-5 but it was a very physical match and I always had a gas tank.
I eeked out a 3-1 win over Russel. Maybe I have them backwards, it's been so long.
Anyway, that was my Jr year (06')

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
Unfortunately, I never got to wrestle at the Clash. I wrestled in NY before transfering to St. Benedict's Prep my senior year and destroying my shoulder second week in to the season.
I wrestled both Russel and Kinchen at " War at the Shore" or one of those pre-season tournaments.
Kinchen kicked my butt. It ended like 9-4 or 9-5 but it was a very physical match and I always had a gas tank.
I eeked out a 3-1 win over Russel. Maybe I have them backwards, it's been so long.
Anyway, that was my Jr year (06')
Those War at the Shore tournaments those days were really tough...100 man+ brackets filled with Pa., NJ and NY best on the Boardwalk in Wildwood. St. Benedicts has had some really good wrestlers over the years and possibly the best freshman and sophomore HS Hwt. of all-time before he transferred to Blair. Iowa fans might remember him!

The problem with the all tournament team is they look to see who was undefeated at 103-hvy at each specific weight. So if Ramos wrestled a couple duals at a different weight he doesn't make the all tournament team. Many greats at that tournament didn't make all tourny team because the coaches put kids where they need them. It's not right to exclude these kid that move weights and wrestle the better wrestler but that's the way the pickle squirts, that's why it happens.

The problem with the all tournament team is they look to see who was undefeated at 103-hvy at each specific weight. So if Ramos wrestled a couple duals at a different weight he doesn't make the all tournament team. Many greats at that tournament didn't make all tourny team because the coaches put kids where they need them. It's not right to exclude these kid that move weights and wrestle the better wrestler but that's the way the pickle squirts, that's why it happens.
I get that.. Ramos was 5-0 at 112lbs with one win at 119 to make him 6-0, Also won a bout 3-2 and only majored another opponent but did beat the #1 ranked guy in USA...
Tournament 1st team was Patrick Hunter from South Plainfield, NJ who was 6-0 at 112lbs with all techs and pins. Tough call for the Tournament staff..Ramos team finished higher so his schedule was tougher. Hunter was a 2x NJ Champ (1 class) and later won a JUCO title and wrestled for Iowa State so he was no slouch.

Last edited:
We forgot to add Santa Cruz CA to that freak show list. Santa Cruz is one of the few places to truly challenge Eugene for this coveted title. (Santa Cruz used to be my stomping grounds, too.) See any pattern here? Lol
Love Santa Cruz. Still listen to KPIG.

Reactions: el dub
Gross is now the coach that should answer things

So he was let go to hire Gross. Just seems odd to let a guy go after just 2 years especially after Bono’s history and him not being fired.

I guess maybe Matt’s contract was only for 2 years or he left on his own.

Looks like the McD / Gross deal is official now:

I know nothing, and I'm connected to no one, but Willie Miklus just accepted a position at Michigan State. Does that open a "volunteer" gig at Ames? Does Matt even want that?

So he was let go to hire Gross. Just seems odd to let a guy go after just 2 years especially after Bono’s history and him not being fired.

I guess maybe Matt’s contract was only for 2 years or he left on his own.
My guess is Matt did not exactly enjoy working under Bono/Reader. Cant say I blame him.

Reactions: OneRoughneck
It's not what you know, it's who you know.
The Hawkeye/Badger rivalry just got a little more intense. Will Bono become the next Manning? I can't wait to hear what Gobblin has in store for him behind the bench.[/QUOTE]

Too much sunshine up there in Madison
:cool:

Matt ain’t the type to talk out of school; hope he gets on with another school.

The hire is a shocker. JK. If I were a betting man I'd bet the farm this was a done deal before SG left SDSU. I'd also bet he is double dipping ie. assistant coaching pay plus RTC athlete stipend. At least CB may be able to keep this coach for a while, unlike any of the other assistants excluding JR.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT