ADVERTISEMENT

Witches in Iowa?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
I've seen a few articles about a Wiccan priestess giving the prayer to open Iowa's legislative day recently. Sorry if that's already been discussed and I missed it.

Apparently some legislators chose to not show up, while others turned their backs.

Thoughts?

Are there a lot of witches in Iowa? Should we expect witch trials and burnings? Or are you leaving that sort of thing to Indiana?

Which reminds me, is anybody watching Salem? Is it any good? I saw an ad for the new season. Apparently it already has at least one season under its belt.

Originally posted by What W...us Do?:
Originally posted by ClarindaA's:

I have a couple patients who are Wicca.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Any generalizations you could make?

I take it you are suffering them to live.
meh, a little different folk, but so are some atheists and Christians...actually I've served a few Jews and Muslims as well.

Sorry, I thought this thread was about bitches
in Iowa and the overpopulation of dogs.

Originally posted by naturalmwa:
Are male wiccans called wizards?
Funny you should ask this. In Wiccan culture, being called a "wizard" is extremely disrespectful. I didn't understand the reason why, but I'm going to ask the next time I talk to a Wiccan. I'm not joking about this. We actually had a conversation about this very subject a few months back.

Originally posted by IMCC965:

Funny you should ask this. In Wiccan culture, being called a "wizard" is extremely disrespectful. I didn't understand the reason why, but I'm going to ask the next time I talk to a Wiccan. I'm not joking about this. We actually had a conversation about this very subject a few months back.
So is the term witch correct for the guys too? For some reason I thought witch was gender specific.

Originally posted by Hawk in SEC Country:
when I was kid in the 70's...there were a lot of stories going around about a group of Witches/satanists that would hold bonfire meetings in the countryside around the towns of Greene, Nashua, Clarksville areas.

Have no idea how true it was.
Satanists and Wiccan witches are pretty different folks. That must of been a hell of a mixer.

when I was kid in the 70's...there were a lot of stories going around about a group of Witches/satanists that would hold bonfire meetings in the countryside around the towns of Greene, Nashua, Clarksville areas.

I remember this in the early 80's in central Iowa, just north of ames.

I believe the term is group sex.

So is the term witch correct for the guys too? For some reason I thought witch was gender specific.
Witch is the acceptable term for both male and female according to the group at work.

Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:
There are a bunch in Iowa's prisons. Iowa has one of the largest Wiccan populations in the country.
Interesting. Is this a case of prison conversion, or are they Wiccans when they arrive?
Very good question. There are a core group of four or five guys. They have recruited about another five to six for their ceremonies which are held on Thursdays in the prison Chapel.

Additionally, Satanists are also allowed to practice in the prison chapel. By the way, it has been renamed the "Spiritual Center" for political correctness. Each group maintains a clear plastic tub with assorted sundries used for each ceremony.

FYI. Satanists practice their "religion" in groups. Luciferians practice in private/individually. Both recognized religions by the State of Iowa.

FYI. Satanists practice their "religion" in groups. Luciferians practice in private/individually. Both recognized religions by the State of Iowa.
Which is the group that doesn't actually believe in the Devil? That part tickles me.

Wiccans. It's a nature thing with them. Prancing in the woods naked and all.

This post was edited on 4/13 10:31 AM by IMCC965

Which is the group that doesn't actually believe in the Devil? That part tickles me.
Satanists. They do not believe in any supreme/divine being.

Just for a little clarification here:

All Wiccans are witches, but not all witches are Wiccans.

All Wiccans are Pagans, but not all Pagans are Wiccans.

Some witches are Pagans, but some are not - and some Pagans practice witchcraft, while others do not.

Originally posted by mstp1992:

Some witches are Pagans, but some are not - and some Pagans practice witchcraft, while others do not.
But, but . . . we can still burn all of them, right? Or are there some who get a pass?

But, but . . . we can still burn all of them, right? Or are there some who get a pass?
That is for the local magistrates to decide - not HROT.

I'm more or less a neopagan, falling in line with many traditions of the nature-based religions.

I'm more or less a neopagan, falling in line with many traditions of the nature-based religions.
If you ever watch the movie Zeitgeist, it will present a case that Christians are too, they just don't know it.

Originally posted by Fan In Black:

Magistrates have the power to burn people?

Originally posted by KennyPowers_96:

WTF? First day here? How about some pics?

Yea, post some pics of those dudes at your prison prancing naked with wood. TiA.

Originally posted by Fan In Black:

Magistrates have the power to burn people?
In the 15th centrury I suppose, but it wasn't a serious response so I dunno.

Originally posted by KennyPowers_96:

WTF? First day here? How about some pics?

Yea, post some pics of those dudes at your prison prancing naked with wood. TiA.
Nobody dances naked at IMCC. PREA would probably have something to say about that. And IF they do, they find their way to O unit pretty quickly for observation.

Originally posted by torbee:
My wife had a practicing Wiccan as a roommate when we lived up in Madison for awhile.

Based on her and her friends, I'd say it's basically just a made up religion for hippies who otherwise would be atheists, but are looking for a spiritual outlet and a reason to hippie it up out in the woods at night.

And you would be wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT